"traveler Must Possess Credit Card Used To Purchase Ticket"

Svenn

Air Asia is another airline which does not require the cardholder to be the same person as the traveller.

I have booked tickets online with them for 3rd persons many times.

Never had a problem.

BTW nowhere in their fineprint can I find tis requirement, either.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

EVA has been checking this for years. Svenn at least you calmed down, you are still showing card just at a different location.

I have to wonder why some posters get in a uproar when it is for your card security as well as the airlines.

A hard ticket requires no confirmation since you did it with an agent in person or if on line the ticket generally isn't sent untill payment cleared. I donot know of any airlines that issue hard tickets made at their website.

This show card is nuts. How about when a company flies you out for a job inteview? They arrange the plane, auto, hotel etc. All I need to show is proper ID. That's how it is inside the USA for travel anyway.

I have heard all the things mentioned in this thread. Most people are not asked to show the credit card, but some are asked and have been turned away if not the correct match. So, if you travel, book and pay, and then your credit card is stolen or lost, what then?

I have flown on EVA, Korean Air, China Air, American, United, JAL, and Thai Airways and never even asked to show a credit card. It was more in the news shortl after 911 and was even supposedly in force in the USA for a while. But in the USA it quickly went away, and not you just need to show ID.

I guess the best thing is to be aware of the possibility and choose an airline that does not require that. For all the good reasons such as buying a ticket for a friend, relative, co-worker or whatever, it is silly to require the credit card used for the purchase.

I do like the idea of using an agent, if that does away for the need of showing the credit card. Not sure the airline people at the airport would understand the difference though and might still demand the credit card. Paying buy debit card seems too easy, and I have to believe an airline person at the airport would not know the difference and would still ask for the credit card.

This show card is nuts. How about when a company flies you out for a job inteview? They arrange the plane, auto, hotel etc. All I need to show is proper ID. That's how it is inside the USA for travel anyway.

Not necessarily. I recently flew Delta from Washington to Salt Lake City and was asked to show a credit card, although it did not have to be the credit card with which I originally purchased the ticket. This is not the first time that has happened.

I have heard all the things mentioned in this thread. Most people are not asked to show the credit card, but some are asked and have been turned away if not the correct match. So, if you travel, book and pay, and then your credit card is stolen or lost, what then?

That just happened to me. I had to show the original credit card or a replacement credit card (even though it would be a different card number). That was with Thai International.

Not necessarily. I recently flew Delta from Washington to Salt Lake City and was asked to show a credit card, although it did not have to be the credit card with which I originally purchased the ticket. This is not the first time that has happened.

That just happened to me. I had to show the original credit card or a replacement credit card (even though it would be a different card number). That was with Thai International.

You had to show a credit card on Delta? I find that hard to believe. Self check in kiosks accept credit cards or driver's licenses. There is no requirement to travel with or by a credit card as far as I know. Granted, flying is a priveledge and not a right, but many people do not travel with credit cards for fear of loss and theft, especially routine or short trips. As for Thai airways asking for a credit card, even though it is not the one used for purchase is even more ridiculous to me. Of course, they could ge using it as a form of ID, just like some check cashing places ask for secondary forms of ID in addition to driver's license. Passports for international travel are all that is required by travel security and ID laws.

I would report Thai airways to the Department of Homeland security, the State Department and the FAA. There is supposed to be some level of reciprocity between airline operating agreements and between countries. Asking for Credit cards if for a means of secondary identification just to see one's name imprinted in plastic is ludicrous and proves nothing, especially if they don't "run" the card or check any numbers.

Funnily enough I've booked a flight on Thai airways for my wife and son using my credit card and there is no mention of me not travelling, but I'll phone them first thing Monday morning.

Brigante7.

This policy has nothing to do with payment for the flight, like I said in an earlier post I've booked and payed for my wife and son's flights so what would be the excuse for not honoring the flights when I as the credit card holder am not travelling?

Brigante7.

That's my mind at rest now, just phoned Expedia to double check the policy on the card holder not traveling and was told that there won't be a problem.

Brigante7.

And only after 3 posts do you mention that you didn't buy the ticket ONLINE AND DIRECT FROM THAI AIRWAYS but from Expedia.

The need to show the credit card at check-in ONLY APPLIES TO ONLINE PURCHASES FROM THE AIRLINE'S OWN ONLINE BOOKING SERVICE.

Expedia, Hotwire and the rest are ONLINE TRAVEL AGENTS and NOT airlines so no need to show the plastic.

Here's a thought, how would the check in staff know who booked and paid for the flight?

Brigante7.

Your online booking done on the airline website has all that information encoded in the reservation details that comes up on the screen when they check you in. That's how they know.

Now in your case, using an online travel agent or travel broker and NOT the airlines own online booking service, it's a moot point.

You had to show a credit card on Delta? I find that hard to believe. Self check in kiosks accept credit cards or driver's licenses. There is no requirement to travel with or by a credit card as far as I know. Passports for international travel are all that is required by travel security and ID laws.

Why would this person lie to you? Self check-in kiosks in the US only accept US drivers licenses. Only the US uses the 'old style' black banded credit cards. I don't have a US drivers license and I have a 'new style 'chip & pin style credit card so I ALWAYS have to use an agent when I check-in in the US. It doesn't stop the lazy arsed agents from insisting that I 'try first' and waste 5 minutes of my precious travel time. The US Dept of Homeland Security sometimes also requests that some travelers on some flights originating from some non- US airports also complete a form with your personal details. Some US airline gate staff also insist that all passengers fill in the 'next-of-kin' paperwork on the reverse side of some boarding passes before letting you on the plane. Your assertions of what is standard operating procedures and that a passport is all you need to get your bum in the seat you (or a third party) already paid for are totally invalid.

I would report Thai airways to the Department of Homeland security, the State Department and the FAA. There is supposed to be some level of reciprocity between airline operating agreements and between countries. Asking for Credit cards if for a means of secondary identification just to see one's name imprinted in plastic is ludicrous and proves nothing, especially if they don't "run" the card or check any numbers.

Yes, yes!!! By all means report it to the Department of Home Paranoia, the State Department and the FAA. Also the Better Business Bureau and your Congressman. While you are doing all that, you may just miss the plane and I will be able to stretch out across 2 seats!

I don't think Nok does either but any international flight I have ever booked online required that I show the same card as I booked with when I checked in. Hotels too.

Nok does ask to see your credit card :D

I checked in months after having paid with an expired credit card.

Had the old one destroyed as per credit card company instructions :D

Sure I ran into problems at Nok check in desk.

Explained and showed them new card, was not acceptable to the employee.

Had to see supervisor who made some phone calls whilst I was asked to step aside and considered a criminal until proved innocent.

Credit card verification process with Nok Air and my bank goes through a highly securised process requiring the use of extra pin code and calculator to perform electronic signature.

If Nok's computer system (and those of other businesses who go through the same verification process - not all do) would recognise the fraud free nature of electronic signatures there would not be any need for this crap :D

Technology in Thailand is far away from what it should be.

In France f.y.i. already 20 years ago you could validate your restaurant bill with Carte Bleue by entering your PIN code on a hand held device at your table.

The only time this happened in Thailand was at an Udon Thani electronic shop

two months ago when I purchased an LCD TV, thus there is hope the twenthiest century might also get to Thailand some day :)

You had to show a credit card on Delta? I find that hard to believe.

YES...I HAD TO SHOW A CREDIT CARD. PERIOD.

Self check in kiosks accept credit cards or driver's licenses. There is no requirement to travel with or by a credit card as far as I know. Granted, flying is a priveledge and not a right, but many people do not travel with credit cards for fear of loss and theft, especially routine or short trips. As for Thai airways asking for a credit card, even though it is not the one used for purchase is even more ridiculous to me. Of course, they could ge using it as a form of ID, just like some check cashing places ask for secondary forms of ID in addition to driver's license. Passports for international travel are all that is required by travel security and ID laws.

AGAIN, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, I HAD TO SHOW A CREDIT CARD.

Lotta crap and untruths being posted here.

I have used CCs to pay for flites numerous times in OZ, US, S.E.A. and NZ.

Never once asked for CC in umpteen checks in over many years.

I buy tickets for my Filipina gal from MNL, Clark to BKK via KL_LCCT. to meet me when I arrive from NZ.

I have used my CC to buy her tickets on R.Brunei, MNL _ AKL.

She made these flites without a hitch.

CC and passports are able to be used at check in if you have lost your printout or have forgotten booking code.

I guess I am repeating an earlier post of mine.

Get a life you people, be fair.

My feeling here is a lot of posters are having fun scaremongering.

I buy tickets for my Filipina gal from MNL, Clark to BKK via KL_LCCT. to meet me when I arrive from NZ.

CC and passports are able to be used at check in if you have lost your printout or have forgotten booking code.

At Bangkok airport I have been asked for my credit card twice when checking in.

This is because on both occasions I had made an online booking on the airline's website; and the website did make it perfectly clear when I made the online booking.

Some airlines need this some airline don't. I don't know why, because who would commit a fraud crime then present a document of true identity; ie Passport?

Perhaps others experiences are different than yours. Or -- if anyone has to be lying, perhaps it's you. Perhaps you are suffering from Alzheimers and you forgot it happened to you. You see, anyone can be offensive. I suggest you lay off.

Lotta crap and untruths being posted here

Not sure why you think people are posting untruths just because it differs from your experiences, many people have had first hand experience of airlines enforcing their conditions that are clearly displayed on their websites, I know I have. So you have never experienced this on your flights, well lucky you.

I think the posters are far from scaremongering they are just trying to be helpful and giving fellow posters advice that a lot of airlines enforce their rules. They could of course say nothing and let others find out the hard way.

Source: Cathay Pacific Airlines.

Payment and Ticket Delivery

1. How do I pay for tickets purchased online?

Currently, we accept VISA, MasterCard, Diners Club (temporarily not accepted for journey that commences from China, India and U.A.Emirates), American Express (temporarily not accepted for journey that commences from China, the Philippines, Indonesia, South Africa, India and Vietnam)and JCB (temporarily not accepted for journey that commences from China and Vietnam).

Please note: The physical credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder for verification at check-in, or when collecting the tickets. Otherwise the cardholder must present the physical card used at the nearest Cathay Pacific Ticketing Office for verification prior to the flight departure. The cardholder does not need to book and travel. The carriage reserves the right to deny boarding or collect a guarantee payment (in cash or from a new credit card) should you fail to present the card originally used.

In addition: If you choose Visa or MasterCard for payment, you may be required to enter your personal password in a secure page for authentication to complete the online purchase; if Verified by Visa or MasterCard® SecureCode™ security feature is enabled by your credit card company.

Please sign up for Verified by Visa and MasterCard® SecureCode™ with your credit card company if you have not yet registered.

(Explains it all).

The passenger should have a printout of the E ticket for Customs and Immigration purposes when he or she checks in at the check-in desk of the airline.

Edited by david96

• 1 month later...

This is thrice today I've seen really poor information on TV (old thread notwithstanding). Actually, I guess it's quite common, I just haven't been counting.

Every post one makes on an online forum is timeless, meaning it'll always be out there for as long as the site is hosted or until it gets deleted, if ever; therefore, putting out blatant misinformation and making assumptions from one's own experiences with no thought past one's own little world is not going to help anyone and actually makes the perpetrator look silly.

There's no scaremongering here. It is real, it's happened to me on many occasions in Muang Thai and I'm thinking you're gonna find out the hard way. Please come back to this thread and divulge all when your day goes pear-shaped. Much more interesting than garnering useful info and thanking those concerned, heh! Good day. :)

• 1 month later...

Qatar Airways are very strict on the rule of producing the credit/debit card used for online booking at check-in on BOTH legs of the journey.

I booked a flight with Qatar Airways with a debit card which expires this year (2009) for a flight in 2010 so I contacted Qatar Airways regarding this matter because my new debit card will have a new # and expiry date and be a 'new' card.

They said I must produce an original bank statement of the cleared transaction or I would be denied boarding.

So if you book online with Qatar, be aware that you MUST present your credit/debit card or original CC/bank statement on BOTH legs.

Have things changed

In normal booking I book for TG via a travel agent pay via credit card, there is a surcharge for paying this way and e ticket is issued.

Will she be asked in future to produce credit card that I paid travel agent with.

Many Hotels do the same if you pre book and pay online, when you arrive at the hotel they ask you for the credit card you booked with.

:)

Regarding the hotel thing in thailand....I've been there. Some years ago I was the victim of "identity theft" when my credit card was hacked and used to purchase goods I never ordered. Since then I seldom carry a credit card, I pay CASH. I have made reservations in Bangkok at hotels, and have been told at check-in that I need my credit card for identificatin. Usually my passport works well enough to let them allow me to register. I may have to pay a cash advance on registering, but they usually happily accept my money. Usually they are happy enough to accept my money, especially if I am well dressed, and appear prosperous.

I book my travel tickets thru agents usually. I actually get a better fare from the local travel agent here in Greece than by booking on-line. If you have an e-ticket, and have the verification number, most times the airline can use the ticket verification number and your I.D. (passport) to prove your identity and that you have a valid ticket.

The problem is that the airline personnel often don't know what to do if you don't have a credit card. If you ask to see the supervisor, it usually gets sorted out.

:D

There is no relation between those stories and pre-paid airline tickets. The ticket is already paid for and frankly I don't need the airline's help in protecting my 'security', if by 'security' they mean denying my significant other the right to board with a ticket purchased with funds from our relationship. Most advanced Western airlines like United don't require the passenger to be the card holder at all... it's only these ramshackle asian airline passengers that are paranoid they'll lose a few extra ruppees to some member of the thieving lower castes.

Wether you need the airlines help or not in protecting your security, these are the rules and not just "ramshackle asian airline " as you put it.

You are getting uptight and beligerant and this won't help, you are aware of the rules, but have ignored them.

Best you give the airline a call and see what can be done about it, I would suggest you drop the arrogant attitude first though as it won't get you any assistance.

As mentioned earlier in the thread and probably forgotten, for anyone experiencing the issue, a visit to the local airline office where one can show the CC and have the agent note the efile or completing the appropriate permission form allows one to deal with the problem.

I am surprised that anyone would call people reporting that they had to present their CCs at checkin scaremogors. I have had to show my CC on every asian flight for the past 2 years (even on Nok). UA asks for in in BKK as does ANA. EVA requires it when my flights originate in the USA or Canada. On my domestic legs where the flights originate in North America, I am not asked most of the time because I am using kiosks to check in and they verify my identity with my passport which is linked to my CC info in the airline database.

• 3 weeks later...
As mentioned earlier in the thread and probably forgotten, for anyone experiencing the issue, a visit to the local airline office where one can show the CC and have the agent note the efile or completing the appropriate permission form allows one to deal with the problem.

I am surprised that anyone would call people reporting that they had to present their CCs at checkin scaremogors. I have had to show my CC on every asian flight for the past 2 years (even on Nok). UA asks for in in BKK as does ANA. EVA requires it when my flights originate in the USA or Canada. On my domestic legs where the flights originate in North America, I am not asked most of the time because I am using kiosks to check in and they verify my identity with my passport which is linked to my CC info in the airline database.

Why should a passenger need to present the credit/card used for booking if he/she is actually proving ID by providing a passport? I don't understand it.

Plus, why should people who forget/lose/replace/be isued a new debit/credit card be denied travel, in some cases the payment may have been processed months before?

I have travelled a few times booking online with TG website and at fist leg checkin they have asked me to show CC.

On the other hand I have flown many times with Air Asia and SAS with online booking and have not been told to show CC.

So just because you have not experienced CC check does not mean that people are scaremongering.

Why should a passenger need to present the credit/card used for booking if he/she is actually proving ID by providing a passport? I don't understand it.

Plus, why should people who forget/lose/replace/be isued a new debit/credit card be denied travel, in some cases the payment may have been processed months before?

Good question. You are right that the CC could have been lost after paying for ticket months in advance. At least TG bookings thru their website seemms strict in requiring that you show CC on first checkin.

I dont know what would happen if the CC had been lost in the meantime ? does any body know ?

I have travelled a few times booking online with TG website and at fist leg checkin they have asked me to show CC.

On the other hand I have flown many times with Air Asia and SAS with online booking and have not been told to show CC.

So just because you have not experienced CC check does not mean that people are scaremongering.

I don't know how many times you need this confirming, but it is REALITY. I have been asked to produce my CC EVERY time when I have arrived at the check in. Sorry if you don't like the truth, but that is the way it is, accept it!

Good question. You are right that the CC could have been lost after paying for ticket months in advance. At least TG bookings thru their website seemms strict in requiring that you show CC on first checkin.

I dont know what would happen if the CC had been lost in the meantime ? does any body know ?

I'm not clear why this thread keeps going. The facts are the facts.

But, what you brought up happened to me in May. I went into a bit of panic realizing that my lost CC had been replaced with a different account number. So I called TG in LA and they said they didn't care which CC I showed, as long as I could show a CC.

Go figure.

Qatar Airways are very strict on the rule of producing the credit/debit card used for online booking at check-in on BOTH legs of the journey.

I booked a flight with Qatar Airways with a debit card which expires this year (2009) for a flight in 2010 so I contacted Qatar Airways regarding this matter because my new debit card will have a new # and expiry date and be a 'new' card.

They said I must produce an original bank statement of the cleared transaction or I would be denied boarding.

So if you book online with Qatar, be aware that you MUST present your credit/debit card or original CC/bank statement on BOTH legs.

I have never had to show my card with Qatar airlines and i fly with them most of the time. Not saying it does not happen, just not happened with me