Broken Promise?

Haydn

According to the Bangkok Post 18/03/2009 the Education Minister Jurin Laksanavisit launched the “15yrs of free education programme

… with the government distributing 18 billion baht among more than 40,000 local schools throughout the country.

"It will help alleviate the financial burden carried by parents in millions of families, and at the same time it will help stimulate the economy.

The minister said the money would benefit students from kindergarten to high school, including vocational education inside and outside the formal education system.

About 11.8 million students would gain access to free education. The policy would cover fees for education, books, education tools, student uniforms and recreational activities, Mr Jurin said.

"Today is the first day of the free education programme. From today onwards, schools will invite parents and students to apply for money to spend on uniforms and school equipment," he said.

Why today are the Children of Pattaya No 8 School having to pay for their school books for the next year and what suggestion has there been made regarding help with uniforms?

Would be nice to know where to get the free school uniform and equipmet vouchers as promised by the government

( I saw it on tv )..my kid goes to Pattaya 8 school too so any info how to get ths "freebee" would be welcome.

I seem to recall reading something in the Post that the money for the uniforms would be given to the school heads for distribution to the parents/pupils. It seemed a strange way of doing it, given the Thai propensity to skim 30% off the top, and then distribute the rest to their friends and families (and the other teachers, presumably). Maybe you should pop by the school and have a chat with the boss before all the funds have disappeared?

I seem to recall reading something in the Post that the money for the uniforms would be given to the school heads for distribution to the parents/pupils.

Correct.

We were (partially) re-imbused for uniform and book costs for our children about three weeks ago. Payment was in cash.

my daughters school called a meeting for all parents to explain the scheme and how they would use the funds...

we've been told to keep receipts for certain selected items - textbooks, uniform items and then present them for re-imbursement

it's not a lot per head but still, a couple of thousand.

useful for us but for other low income families VERY welcome indeed

the school sets up a day just ahead of the start of term when all come in to buy the items they need-

they set up tables in the hall to sell books from

so we'll go there ... buy the books and stuff from some tables then walk over to another to give reciepts and get cash back

fair enough

as term starts in 2 weeks you might get some info very soon...

however, the school may have decided to use the cash some other way or for some later time

it's worth asking though

I have seen several bills for books relating to No 8 school Pattaya some for over 700 Bt and only part of the books paid for were provided -- One person was told that the government funds were to be given to the poor people and not to all.

No one I spoke too hadf any information about funds for Uniform.

I am sorry but I feel unable to contribute anymore to this topic as it has been strongly suggested to me that this is Thai business and not Farange.Also that I might have problems as members of a very important Family of Chomburi were involved who had been strong supporters of Ta xin and one of whom the police were unable to catch.

If you have doubt about the school, contact the Education Ministry and let them know.

Many schools reimburse parents for certain costs like uniforms, pencils etc. While students get the books from the school.