Etihad Very Competive Prices ,are They Any Good ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from Thai Air to Etihad due to the age of the Thai aircraft and the cost

I was concerned about the stop over at Abu Dhabi

Now I enjoy good prices with Etihad and the planes are new and the service is very good

I like the stop over which is only about an hour and a half - gives a chance to have a walk around etc.

We flew to Ireland a few weeks ago on Ethiad and will be returning tomorrow to Thailand with them. I would say that they are very good for the price. I wasn't overly impressed with Abu Dhabi, but that wasn't so important.

Edited by garro

Of course I am very much biased being that I work for them, but I have to say the service is excellent and the food not so bad for those traveling in economy class. Drinks offered throughout the flight and brand new aircraft as well. Layover is generally not longer than 2 hours sometimes shorter. The airport in Dubai not the best but with new terminal this is improving. Layover gives you time to stretch your legs and have a good cup of coffee and if still hungry a good panini sandwich in the cafe downstairs.

As for being on par with Emirates I would pretty much concur with that statement except we are better with a younger and fresher and less jaded crew. Though they still are a good airline!

I regularly fly to Dubai (4-5 times a year) and also the UK (once a year) and mostly fly Emirates as my wife works for them. On several occasions I have flown on Etihad when Emirates are full and find that the service is very similar. I may be wrong but althought the 2 airlines are independent of each other, I am sure a lot of the planning that has gone into developing Etihad comes from the experience of keeping a close eye on what Emirates have done and achieved over the last decade. They are effectively 2 airlines in the same country run by the government, albeit different states (emirates). Therefore, it is logical that the younger airline (Etihad) will have learned from any of the mistakes made by Emirates in the past.

Both airlines provide better inflight entertainment than Thai Airways and use a younger fleet. Pretty good connections on the whole and sure to increase the number of destinations in the future as both airlines have a large number of new aircraft (especially B777 and A380) on order.

As for jaded crew, well maybe some Emirates staff are like that, but by and large they appear to be as friendly as most airlines, and certainly not as stuck up as British Airways.

Arived at Heathrow yesterday. Etihad very good for the money. Choice of free menus. Large choice of Movies and programms. Staff friendly and helpfull. Legroom a bit cramped but I have that problem everywhere.

As said a very short stopover time.

They certainly get a lot of rave reviews, and quite rightly IMO

When i flew with them, the check in people at Swampy even put in a good performance, instead of the lacklustre one you get with most other airline check in staff there.

All in all, you get the impression that they actually CARE about you, and they try not to treat their customers as the cattle we have become when travelling by air

HIGHLY recommended, i would say

Penkoprod

They certainly get a lot of rave reviews, and quite rightly IMO

When i flew with them, the check in people at Swampy even put in a good performance, instead of the lacklustre one you get with most other airline check in staff there.

All in all, you get the impression that they actually CARE about you, and they try not to treat their customers as the cattle we have become when travelling by air

HIGHLY recommended, i would say

Penkoprod

I fully Agree with this Very pleased 4 trips with Etihad Man Bkk Service in Cattle class 8 out of 10

Having flown on both Etihad & Emirates i can say Emirates are the better of the 2, that Hub at Abu Dubai screws with ya head very claustrophobic & depressing hole.

Emirates right now have £347 from Gatwick these flights are also valid for a year, how i wish i was ready to go back right now that's a excellent deal also it seems to indicate you will fly on the new A380

Also Qatar are worth a look but by far in my opinion Emirates are the best of the 2 stop airline's out there.

Bangkok Flights £347

Edited by Mali1964

I have flown on all three, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. I am not impressed with Qatar. Emirates are OK, however, I swear by Etihad. It is of my opinion that Etihad have the better service than Emirates. Dubai Airport is too big and it is a rush getting through the transfer time allowance at times.

Of course I am very much biased being that I work for them, but I have to say the service is excellent and the food not so bad for those traveling in economy class. Drinks offered throughout the flight and brand new aircraft as well. Layover is generally not longer than 2 hours sometimes shorter. The airport in Dubai not the best but with new terminal this is improving. Layover gives you time to stretch your legs and have a good cup of coffee and if still hungry a good panini sandwich in the cafe downstairs.

As for being on par with Emirates I would pretty much concur with that statement except we are better with a younger and fresher and less jaded crew. Though they still are a good airline!

I've read the pinned warning about medicine and jail on UAE airports. Any possible pills is in the list, so everybody should be on jail at every transit. I will never stop in such kind of place but i'm wondering if the warning in the forum is still current?

I would choose ANY of the Gulf based airlines over the Thai/BA carve up. The difference between Emirates and Ethiad on the aircraft is unnoticeable.

The Emirates check in staff at Manchester are more flexible they even let my 32kg luggage go through with no issues Etihad wanted money :)

On my last flight into Bangkok the hostess gave me a bag full of the little spirits & a few cans very friendly staff.

Any one have a price better than £347 barring in mind the 12 month ticket length allowed.

I have flown 6 times Bangkok to Dublin (Ireland), cattle class and am more than happy with the service/price/entertainment system/alcohol etc.. I have been upgraded twice (join on line their rewards programme) cos the plane was overbooked in economy (Dublin to Abu Dhabi). However I really believe that the only test for an airline is how they deal with a valid compliant. I have yet to make a compliant to Ethihad. I no longer fly Thai or Malaysian Airlines cos of their response to valid complaints in the past (Business Class Thai airways and I had to change seats 3 times in the same flight)

The only negative is the stop-over -- U will either enjoy the 90 minutes to stretch ur legs or u wont – Be careful when buying duty free at the departing airport cos of the liquid rules. Because u are transiting via Abu Dhabi, this will affect you.

The airport is appalling, nothing to be recommended, no where to enjoy a 'relaxing' reasonably priced coffee, but free internet (about 10 machines) at a very, very slow speed

I like the stop over which is only about an hour and a half - gives a chance to have a walk around etc.

I will not fly with Etihad anymore because of the stop over.

The airplane was set to leave Abi Dhabi airport at 1:30 AM but due to some "problems" was starting on the taxi track on 1:50AM.

Arrived at the main track, the pilot suddenly stopped the airplane and told the passengers over the PA that ISLAM forbid airplanes to take off on Saturdays between 2:00AM and 6:00AM.

Thus we had to spend 4 hours in the airplane on the taxi track without any comfort at all.

No turn back to the airport, no food or drinks, NOTHING.

I was making the tripp with Etihad for medical reasons and made a reservation for the ambulane to pick me up at the landing place at 7:30 AM, but the ambulance left because of the delay and I was stranded in the airport of destination in a bad medical condition.

NO FLIGHTS with an ISLAM anymore for me.

I have flown on alll the middle east airline and suppose Ethihad is as good as most.

I shall be flying Bangkok to Manchester return in August or September for a week or two. Any suggestions for good, reliable travel agent who can get cheap tickets?

I am also biased towards Etihad but do not work for them contrary to popular belief by my friends in the UAE. I am a gold member of their Guest program. Sometimes that makes a difference but not always.

Etihad is a very good airline with young aircraft. Etihad is about 5 years old and is the National Airline of the UAE which simply means that it is owned by "Abu Dhabi". Emirates is owned by "Dubai". Etihad was formed when the ruling family of Abu Dhabi pulled out of Gulf Air and I believe the CEO jumped ship from Gulf Air. I fly business class every month on the AUH - BKK - AUH route which is a Boeing 777. The new terminal at AUH is nicer and more accomodating, the old terminal was so '70s. The coach prices are fairly competitive but the Business class is way over priced - they nearly doubled 8 months ago and just now announced a reduction for the summer. I fly business class as I much prefer to utilize the lounges at both airports and the car service - parking at AUH is VERY expensive.

The pictures of the A340 accident in France was an the Airbus facility where final testing on the engines was being performed by Airbus and the ground maintenace contractor from AUH. Have not seen who or what has been faulted for that one yet but I blame Airbus - it was their facility and the aircraft was not yet delived to Etihad when the accident happend.

Many of the cabin crew - as much as 25% company wide - are Thai. Several of the cabin managers have 10+ years experience from - Gulf Air, and their professionalism shows within their crew. Flying every month for the last two years you notice this. The flight deck crew is also very international and from all of my flights very professional, there is one pilot though, turns out he's a brit (like it matters) who leaves a bit to be desired, he is past his prime and won't give it up - don't blame him that, but he acts like he's royalty.

Of the few times when I have a had a complaint, all very minor cry-baby things, it has been quickly rectified by either the ground staff or the cabin crew to the best of their limitations. I have only seen one worthless crew member, was a whiny Lebenese cabin manager, flight was delayed by a VIP flight (Head of State) and the flightline was closed for 45 minutes in AUH. I filed a complaint about her unprofessional conduct in front of passengers, she was removed from flying status. :)

I have found that I get the best deals on Etihad tickets via their website, I love e-Tickets! I have found that it's much much cheaper for me to book my tickets based on BKK - AUH - BKK so look at that option if possible. Oh, if you know someone that works for Etihad you can get them to purchase your tickets for a reduced price too! Hint hint...

Medications: if traveling through any of the UAE airports with prescription medicines make sure you have copies of your prescriptions and if possible a doctors explaination. My Mum is on cancer meds and I had her bring all with her and she had zero issues. Dubai Airport is stricter than AUH - remember it may be one country but the 7 Emirates have their own rules and enforcment. I have attached a compiled document based of a report from a third party organization which outlines the medications.

Adult materials: Just leave it at home! Risque (sp) images on romance novels can get them confiscated, saw a German couple lose their copy of the Kama Sutra in AUH, he was ugly like me but she was a hottie - kama sutra with her...humm.....great idea!

Generally if you are not laying over in AUH you should have no worries as you do not go through customs, but there are security checkpoints, like all airports, and your carry-on will get inspected if some doesn't look right.

Hope this helps.

UAE_Controlled_Drugs.doc

Coalminer - can you provided details as in date and flight number? I'll check with my contacts and find out what the real reason was for the delay. I somehow doubt Islam had anything to do with it. If you happend to travel on a certain day a several months back in 2008 than it could have been because the airspace of the UAE was closed to all air traffic per NOTAM and the pilot did not have a desire to meet Allah that day. Not a good thing to fly when the air defense network is being tested live, and no they would not have informed you of that because the local authorities do not like to advertise before or after an event.

I will not fly with Etihad anymore because of the stop over.

The airplane was set to leave Abi Dhabi airport at 1:30 AM but due to some "problems" was starting on the taxi track on 1:50AM.

Arrived at the main track, the pilot suddenly stopped the airplane and told the passengers over the PA that ISLAM forbid airplanes to take off on Saturdays between 2:00AM and 6:00AM.

Thus we had to spend 4 hours in the airplane on the taxi track without any comfort at all.

No turn back to the airport, no food or drinks, NOTHING.

I was making the tripp with Etihad for medical reasons and made a reservation for the ambulane to pick me up at the landing place at 7:30 AM, but the ambulance left because of the delay and I was stranded in the airport of destination in a bad medical condition.

NO FLIGHTS with an ISLAM anymore for me.

Hi I have flown with them on a few occasions and find them to be extremely professional with a multi cultural crew, good food,drinks etc. stop over in Abu Dhabi is easy with a small hub easy to find the next gate for bangkok departure. on a par with emirates and qatar.