Art...

doppa

Not everyones subject i guess, even though i feel surrounded by studios, galleries, all nfortunately , waiting for someone else to invent a new style for the next 2 yrs, and then immiediatley copying them, so all the studios/galleries are full of the same.

terrific artist, the thais, made me hang up me 'brushes', only so i could learn new techniques, which i have, over the last 10mths.

so, with this in mind, upon your recomendations, top 6 art galleries, in chiangmai, i'll be doing a secret surveillance, to see what they have to offer.

not in chiangmai yet, probably end of june, fingers crossed.

it will be interesting to see, how many replies i get....in fact if you could choose a picture / print, what would you have on your wall, remember art is totally personal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyones subject i guess, even though i feel surrounded by studios, galleries, all nfortunately , waiting for someone else to invent a new style for the next 2 yrs, and then immiediatley copying them, so all the studios/galleries are full of the same.

terrific artist, the thais, made me hang up me 'brushes', only so i could learn new techniques, which i have, over the last 10mths.

so, with this in mind, upon your recomendations, top 6 art galleries, in chiangmai, i'll be doing a secret surveillance, to see what they have to offer.

not in chiangmai yet, probably end of june, fingers crossed.

it will be interesting to see, how many replies i get....in fact if you could choose a picture / print, what would you have on your wall, remember art is totally personal.

Good question! My personal favourite so far is La Luna. Very pleasant place run by very pleasant people. Always something new. Very wide-ranging, western, Thai, Burmese, Malaysian artists, you name it.

Sadly haven't taken a look at Look At This yet, but intend to do so. We have sufficient here now to ensure that you won't be disappointed.

... snip ... terrific artist, the thais, made me hang up me 'brushes', only so i could learn new techniques, which i have, over the last 10mths.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Doppa,

I'd be curious to hear you describe what type of Thai art you feel you have learned from. What artists, or environments.

...so, with this in mind, upon your recomendations, top 6 art galleries, in chiangmai, i'll be doing a secret surveillance, to see what they have to offer.

I'd second the recommendation of La Luna as the place to see the better/best of "northern Thai contemporary" painting. I'll spare you my rather dismal views of the quality of visual arts here, but I do assume the contemporary art scene in Bangkok and what's shown in its galleries, which I am not familiar with, has much more range and depth.

But imho the real "gallery" you want to go to is in Nan province (jungwat) : the temple paintings in Wat Phumin, probably done by Thai Lue artists around the end of the 19th. century of the Christian calendar. These are also the "visual source" of much of a style of decorative painting I call "Lanna Deco" in northern Thailand. imho Thailand's "Diego Rivera" was in Nan 110 years or so ago mural-ing away. Suggest you read the chapter on the Phumin murals in the small book "Siam in Mind" by the late David Wyatt before you go.

And don't miss Wat Rong Khun near Chiang Rai, a very recent "embodiment" of National Artist Chalermchai's visions, an artist whose pastel "psychedelic" fantasies of theppanom, nagas, excerpts from the Jataka epics, etc. you may be familiar with.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I paint and draw a bit. I mostly use watercolour. Here are a few..

Kung_and_niece_1_Em.sized.jpg

Dancing_child_Em.sized.jpg

Kurasea_Em.sized.jpg

cutthroat_after_fly_painting_Em.jpg

Rising_grayling.jpg

Still_life_1.jpg

What I find difficult is getting good quality paper in the block form in Chaing Mai. I find some cheaper stuff but it buckles when it gets wet (like all paper will).

But, when I compare my stuff with some Thai artists I see working in Chiang Mai, I want to throw my sketches back in the drawer. The ONLY thing I see missing with the Thai artists is originality. They are great copiers but I don't see much else that is really new and creative.

Sadly haven't taken a look at Look At This yet, but intend to do so.

I recommend it, although without the benefit of being able to compare it with any other gallery in Chiangmai. I went once and ended up buying a big print, something that I almost never do.

Kung_and_niece_1_Em.sized.jpg

Dancing_child_Em.sized.jpg

Kurasea_Em.sized.jpg

cutthroat_after_fly_painting_Em.jpg

Rising_grayling.jpg

Still_life_1.jpg

What I find difficult is getting good quality paper in the block form in Chaing Mai. I find some cheaper stuff but it buckles when it gets wet (like all paper will).

But, when I compare my stuff with some Thai artists I see working in Chiang Mai, I want to throw my sketches back in the drawer. The ONLY thing I see missing with the Thai artists is originality. They are great copiers but I don't see much else that is really new and creative.

watercolor, the most unforgiving medium ever, once a stroke is made, thats it, have you ever tried oils, somewhat messier, but you can go back to it, so many times.

your right about thai artists, nothing original, but good copiers, they see what others are doing and immiedately you have a boat load of same pics.

will reveal all soon, and as i said , will make an offer , you cant resist.

You don't have anything to apologize for. I don't know anything about art except whatt I like, and I like your work. I would be VERY happy to be able to paint like that. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

You don't have anything to apologize for. I don't know anything about art except waht I like, and I like your work. I would be VERY happy to be able to paint like that. :)

Me too! Very nice Art :D

:) -La Luna has been around for quite a while and always has a very impressive

collection of pieces, though many of them are high end. Look At This gallery has

made a great start in a prime location with a vision to show many of the young artists

coming out of CMU as well as a willingness to present some of the fine farang artists who

have come to the area. In that vein would recommend you show some of your pieces

to them as it appears you do have talent and sensitivity for your subjects. Look At This

has a regular show rotation and always seems to bring together a variety of forms and

subjects.

I'll spare you my rather dismal views of the quality of visual arts here, but I do assume the contemporary art scene in Bangkok and what's shown in its galleries, which I am not familiar with, has much more range and depth.

FYI, this site has loads of great info on the art scene in bangkok.

guano nice stuff but aren't you kind of knocking off shepherd fairy with #4?

Don't make me an offer. Instead, start to use the d@mn subject line to let us know what the point of the thread is 'Just wondering', or 'Art' etc. is a vague and annoying way to start athread. (This is as per suggested by others on your previous topics.) The subject line and by line under it are there to help you find your proper audience and to gain interest in your topic.

You are the only person rude enough to do this in your posts as if any vague firing of your synapses deserves our attention.

My only other responses to your title are.

Yes.

Places.

Don't make me an offer. Instead, start to use the d@mn subject line to let us know what the point of the thread is 'Just wondering', or 'Art' etc. is a vague and annoying way to start athread. (This is as per suggested by others on your previous topics.) The subject line and by line under it are there to help you find your proper audience and to gain interest in your topic.

You are the only person rude enough to do this in your posts as if any vague firing of your synapses deserves our attention.

Yes.

Places.

what the hel_l, first you show a little respect for your fellow posters my man, secondly 50% of the posters dont use the subject line, so dont jump on my bones like an overweight gestapo, jees this is a forum, with certain rules i guess, and if one of those rules is that you must use the sublject line, well say so, and then go and jump on the other 50% who aren't using it.

get a grip, go take a tablet, or 'gan and boil ye heed' ye tool.

Yes.

Places.

Agreed.

I like your stuff and especially this one... It looks like mixed media. Looking at other people's originality is always inspiring to me. It helps me look at things from a different perspective and gives me new ideas without actually copying other people's style.

post-64536-1241966140_thumb.jpg

Thanks Doppa, Girlx. In answer to your questions:

"interesting stuff there, are they oils, and where do you display."

I mainly use spraypaint but sometimes use oil in my mixed media pieces. I have displayed at Minimal gallery and at the Ordinary People exhibition, just off Nimanhaemin. I have a few pieces in Hopt Coffee House (opposite the UN Irish), The What bar on Loy Kroh and in Kaew Kaw on Nimanhaemin. Should be a few more shows in the coming months.

"guano nice stuff but aren't you kind of knocking off shepherd fairy with #4?"

I agree that the 711 piece bares a slight resemblance to Shepard's work. Though I wouldn't say I was 'knocking him off'.

Shepard takes inspiration from and works with a lot of propaganda images, as I have done. The idea from the piece came from a nazi SS poster and not from Obey.

I like your stuff and especially this one... It looks like mixed media. Looking at other people's originality is always inspiring to me. It helps me look at things from a different perspective and gives me new ideas without actually copying other people's style.

post-64536-1241966140_thumb.jpg

Cheers Ian,

This one was actually all done using spray paint but with a mixture of techniques. Thanks for sharing your work with us on here and for giving me the idea to show mine! Love your work especially the one of the Thai woman looking down, that Goshawk commented on. Very true what you said about getting inspiration from other peoples' work too.

Yes.

Places.

Agreed.

you aren't doing a little rectum licking there are you?

Actually both realthaideal and lannarebirth are trying to help you out - constructive criticism my teacher used to call it. Please, don't get so defensive and just take the good advice. :)

constructive critiscm , been giving and taking it all my life, but sheer bad manners is another thing, i hope they give a hard time to all the other forum posters who dont comply,you seriously think i've antagonised the man , because of not filling in the subject line, give me a break, more like they've got f***k all better to do ,with their lives, ask me in a manner which people respond to, and it wouldn't have been aproblem.

What he meant was, that if the title is more exact about what you want or need, more people will look at it and try to help you. If the title is too obscure, many posters will never even look at the post. :D

i understand that, it was the manner which it was presented. :)