Tips.when And When Not To

longstebe

Two friends of mine have just left the UK for LOS. One of the questions was about tipping.I said I would post this topic and get some replies for them as most of my time in LOS is spent out in the sticks.I was thinking 20-50baht depending on how good the service was.

So a few topics

1.Taxi

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy)

3.Hotel porter

4.Hotel maid

5.Salon

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr)

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so)

And anything else they may come across for first timers.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately these people will be traveling from the UK. I have stopped going to dinner or to drinks with Europeans who for the most part do not tip or tip one to two Baht max. I had an American friend who said he believes that he should "tip European style" as the American way is far too generous and costly. We had our last meal together three years ago after that declaration.

The European way is so prevalent that Thai staff do not expect a tip. So your friends will be good to go but there is no guarantee that they won't defile you food or drink.

Fortunately these people will be traveling from the UK. I have stopped going to dinner or to drinks with Europeans who for the most part do not tip or tip one to two Baht max. I had an American friend who said he believes that he should "tip European style" as the American way is far too generous and costly. We had our last meal together three years ago after that declaration.

The European way is so prevalent that Thai staff do not expect a tip. So your friends will be good to go but there is no guarantee that they won't defile you food or drink.

So Grant can you let us know what you tip. Please

So Grant can you let us know what you tip. Please

15% in restaurant

10% in a bar (I'm doing most of the work)

35 Baht per about 120 Baht of meter on a taxi

20 Baht every time a hotel or condo employee handles a piece of luggage

I take a free shuttle boat across Chao Phraya from my condo several times a week. Each trip I tip 20 Baht no matter how many people are in my party. This shuttle services more than 100 occupied units. I have been conditioned to tip something but I have not observed anyone else on the shuttle ever tip.

What you describe as european style here is also very very close to the thai style.

So why to change it to all mighty american one everywhere. Also remember that all restaurants, bars etc already have 10% service charge on top of the price.

I do not choose my dinner companions based on how they tip but each to their own...

1, nothing

2, coins from change

3, 20 baht if i have bags

4, nothing

5, maybe 20 baht

6, nothing

7, lose change.

1, nothing

2, coins from change

4, nothing

5, maybe 20 baht

6, nothing 650 baht :)

7, lose change.

1, nothing

2, coins from change

4, nothing

5, maybe 20 baht

6, nothing

7, lose change.

You got it! I would tip exatly the same.

I think the Americans with their tipping culture has put a greater expectation on ALL farangs.

Thai logic states that if someone is tipping too much then the price is too cheap. Next thing the price goes up for everyone.

Two friends of mine have just left the UK for LOS. One of the questions was about tipping.I said I would post this topic and get some replies for them as most of my time in LOS is spent out in the sticks.I was thinking 20-50baht depending on how good the service was.

So a few topics

1.Taxi - Nothing

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy) - 20 - 40 Baht

3.Hotel porter - Never used one

4.Hotel maid - Loose change I leave behind

5.Salon - 20 Baht

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr) - Nothing

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so) - 40 Baht

And anything else they may come across for first timers.

If my wife and /or I would tip everytime I took a taxi that would push the taxi expense by 10% a month. That's 400-500 extra. Not happening. Besides, most taxis suck or stink.

In restaurants, I tip IF the service AND food has been good. Had enough occasions that was not the case. Be honest, the saying : I have had the worst service and the best service of my life in the same country, Thailand, still stands.

One so-called American custom which has come in very strong is that f*cking 10% service charge. If I see that, no tip.

I hardly drink in bars, so no tip there either.

My wife and I usually go for massage at the same place. I do usually tip both massage women, because paying 200 baht for a 1hour and 45 minutes of excellent massage is not right. So, 25 or 50 each.

Yes, I am European. Let's NOT turn this thread in to a EU vs. US battle about who is best. If USAians want to tip exorbitantly, let them.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

EvilDr, actually in the USA auto service charges are rarely added except for very large parties and then it is more than 10 percent. Not an American custom at all! The American custom is that you are culturally expected (STRONGLY) to tip between 15 and 20 percent of the tab. 15 percent is considered mean. 10 percent is acceptable if the service is terrible only and the server thinks that too. Failing to tip can result in angry confrontations with waiters and body substances in your food if you dare ever return. That said, I agree the American influence in tipping is a bad thing.

Edited by Jingthing

Normaly when I take a massage I do not tip and just give them the whole length instead! :)

there are many threads about Tipping, if you have to ask how much to tip then I think you should not bother tipping and keep your money. why cant people just give what they feel like giving? a waitress will earn around 7k a month in salary if she gives good service then I think you should tip well, come on most of us can afford it.

Edited by onnut

EvilDr, actually in the USA auto service charges are rarely added except for very large parties and then it is more than 10 percent. Not an American custom at all! The American custom is that you are culturally expected (STRONGLY) to tip between 15 and 20 percent of the tab. 15 percent is considered mean. 10 percent is acceptable if the service is terrible only and the server thinks that too. Failing to tip can result in angry confrontations with waiters and body substances in your food if you dare ever return. That said, I agree the American influence in tipping is a bad thing.

I would have to say you're so right about that, I'm a waitress in NYC, Last night, there were two people that ate $58.46 (or some change) and they gave me $60...and walked off...I was so mad...esp when I knew that I gave them good service!! The norm in our rest. is 20% I work in a high end neighborhood. They went to sit in the bar and I gave them their $1 and some change and told them they forgot something and didnt wait for a reply. Everytime we get bad tipping customers we always remember their faces. When they return some people may just give them lousy service or other people with scowl at them...etc

I also believe that tipping should be based on service, not on the food, the person serving you isnt the one cooking for you, something some of you should keep in mind. If you don't like something, it's better to speak up and say something about it so the problem can be resolved and they can make you happy, instead of just pretending that everything is great and then you have to buy another meal later. (This may or may not work in thailand, as I know thai people sometimes have a hard time speaking whats on their mind...)

Some people prob give better tips because they feel that these people get paid really crappy and a few extra baht might make their day. I know it makes my day when people tip me extra. =P

So, Grant, you only tip for fear of retribution if you don't? :):D

most decent eateries include a 10% service charge (whether the service is good or bad)

when i see this i NEVER tip

I tend to agree. I may tip to up change though at such places. The problem is that the staff doesn't always see that service charge money. That is evil but is that our fault?

My American friend and I play golf at our club a couple of times per week and have done so for over 8 years. During this time we have used the services of the same caddies and I at least, are on friendly terms with both of them. He is pretty aloof, being adamant that he does not want a personal relationship with any Thai of a lower class (whatever that means).

During all this time he has tipped his caddy the princely sum of 200 baht for the round. I, recognising that inflation is at work and it hits the poor more than the well heeled, have tipped my caddy 300 baht per round for the past three years. When he found out he angrily told me that if I insisted on spoiling my caddy and thereby embarrassing him. he didn't want to play with me any more. "Up to you," was my response and made myself unavailable for the next two weeks.

Funny story. Tipping can be a touchy subject.

he does not want a personal relationship with any Thai of a lower class
Pity. That's funny coming from an American, a "classless" society. (Ha ha.) Edited by Jingthing

I would have to say you're so right about that, I'm a waitress in NYC, Last night, there were two people that ate $58.46 (or some change) and they gave me $60...and walked off...I was so mad...esp when I knew that I gave them good service!! The norm in our rest. is 20% I work in a high end neighborhood. They went to sit in the bar and I gave them their $1 and some change and told them they forgot something and didnt wait for a reply. Everytime we get bad tipping customers we always remember their faces. When they return some people may just give them lousy service or other people with scowl at them...etc

I also believe that tipping should be based on service, not on the food, the person serving you isnt the one cooking for you, something some of you should keep in mind. If you don't like something, it's better to speak up and say something about it so the problem can be resolved and they can make you happy, instead of just pretending that everything is great and then you have to buy another meal later. (This may or may not work in thailand, as I know thai people sometimes have a hard time speaking whats on their mind...)

Some people prob give better tips because they feel that these people get paid really crappy and a few extra baht might make their day. I know it makes my day when people tip me extra. =P

I read Barbara Ehrenreich's book "Nikel and Dimed" so I know how badly waitresses need tips to make up their salaries, I disagree with this custom though. Tipping simple makes low paid service jobs bearably, a better solution is to raise the minimum wage.

I believe a person should receive a salary they can live on, not just survive on.

In a hotel in Singapore the waitress's were complaining that tips went into a box that was divided up unequally between waitress and cooks at the end of each month.

I tip if the service is good, if it’s bad I don’t, and I don’t go back.

So do restaurant/bar staff divide tips in the US?

Cooks/chefs in the US generally don't get a tip share, but if it is a decent place, they are paid decently. Restaurants could pay service staff better but then they tell us they would just raise the prices anyway. So the lower prices on the menu are really a tease.

When there is an automatic service charge of 10% I always assumed that you didn't have to tip anymore (if of course you were going to in the 1st place anyway) also surely you can ask them to take the 10% off, I know you can in the UK as I have done on occasion in hotels.

I always tip in a restaurant/cafe/eaterie 10% - not though if there is already 10% added. In bars I will just leave the change or round up as mentioned before, if i've been in there a while.

I hate being in a restaurant with a group of peeps and someone's Mrs will take over the organising of the bill and will leave an insulting tip of 3/4% as one of the Thai dishes wasn't spicy enough and its not even their bloody money, there maybe 8 or 9 people eating, I always make sure 10% is left!

As always - good times!!

Bigjimmy

PS All tips welcome, my Paypal account is jell...........

The service charges in thailand are often used to pay for breakage and missing tablewares, generaly 70% is divided among the employees on a monthly basis. Personaly i feel it is bad form to not tip, especialy in a restaurant where tips are a major source of income, not leaving a tip is like going to dinner at someones home, eating and not offering to help clean up afterwards. If you cant afford a few extra baht for a service that was provided to you, maybe you shouldnt be going out in the first place.

I'm american (gasp) and i do tip differently here than back home. I admit it must be some sort of conditioning, alot of it is more "guilt-based" tipping than anything else. The whole "it's only 50 cents to me but it's 10% of daily wages to him" (based on 20 baht tip for 200 baht/day job). Also, I live here, so i interact with these people for years on end. I admit i have been influenced by the whole "kee neow" crowing of the thais. If someone ever calls me kee neow I never return to that place of business, but since there are places I do enjoy going to I tend to give the 20 baht standard to avoid getting called cheap charlie and never returning. I realize I lose some street cred here but just being honest (why i like anonymous forums, but i digress...)

1.Taxi- change to next 20 baht

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy)- 20 baht

3.Hotel porter- none

4.Hotel maid- 100 baht every 3-4 days (serviced apartment)

5.Salon- 40 baht

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr)- 50 baht

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so)- 20 baht

I just had a pretty big surgery, and i had to keep going to the hospital to clean my wound. All of the nurse aides were rough with the undressing/dressing of the wound and caused me alot of pain, even after being warned to please take it easy. There was one guy in particular who would take the time (an extra 15 minutes or so) to make sure it didn't hurt. I figured out his schedule and kept going to him, and he always did my dressing when he was there. After about 3 weeks, i wanted to give him a tip to reward him for excellent service, also to sort of show up the other nurse aides who were too lazy to take the time to avoid hurting me. I wasn't sure if it would be an insult, I would never tip in a hospital in the US, but I asked my gf how much he made, and she said maybe 6-8k/month, so I gave him 1000 baht for 3 weeks.