Tips.when And When Not To

longstebe

It's not a question of respect. Tipping gets you better service.

:)

I agree with that, however when the tip is expected, it cancels out the need the provide good service.

Yeah, for someone else. But why should that matter to the tipper?

I think the anti-tipping crowd (the tip inflation theorists) just have sour grapes that some folks choose to create their own deluxe economy, business class, and first class world's here on the ground in as many aspects of their lives as they can.

:D

No Heng you didn't understand what I meant. How can a tip get you better service if it is already expected. No leverage you see.

If a tip is expected, and you tip the expected amount, it's the same as not tipping. If it's expected and you don't tip, then you're in the negative part of the graph in what you might expect to receive service wise.. that is par or sub-par service. To get better service in such cases, you have to go above the norm, whether the norm is a nothing or 20 Baht or $5 a drink tip.... Pretty much the same in many places, not just here.... here you just happen to get more for less. I think there's a big difference between advising someone that they don't tip supermarket cashiers here to getting worked up about someone generally tipping more than you do.

Edited by Heng

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the service AND food are good in a resturant I will tip providing they have not charged 10% service charge. If they have then I have alreadys tipped so problem solved. I would tip up to 10% of the bill, 20% is too much.

In Thailand or Singapore or England I would not tip for much else. Salon - no way, Taxi - no way they are all rip off merchants anyway, Cleaners etc - no tip although my wife often will tip Thai maids with food from the market or something, Drinks in a bar - tp for what, opening a bottle and putting it down LOL!

I am not a big fan of tipping, I would sooner that the staff get paid the money by the employer the correct amount and I am charged the necessary. To be honest I am happy with the service charge as then everyone knows where they stand - if the food or service are shit, I just pay and don't go back.

If the service AND food are good in a resturant I will tip providing they have not charged 10% service charge. If they have then I have alreadys tipped so problem solved. I would tip up to 10% of the bill, 20% is too much.

In Thailand or Singapore or England I would not tip for much else. Salon - no way, Taxi - no way they are all rip off merchants anyway, Cleaners etc - no tip although my wife often will tip Thai maids with food from the market or something, Drinks in a bar - tp for what, opening a bottle and putting it down LOL!

I am not a big fan of tipping, I would sooner that the staff get paid the money by the employer the correct amount and I am charged the necessary. To be honest I am happy with the service charge as then everyone knows where they stand - if the food or service are shit, I just pay and don't go back.

I'm not a fan of mandatory tipping.

I do find it a little bit funny that you won't tip in a bar for them opening a bottle and putting it down, but you'll tip a waiter for bringing a plate of food and putting it down. Are the two so different?

Fortunately these people will be traveling from the UK. I have stopped going to dinner or to drinks with Europeans who for the most part do not tip or tip one to two Baht max. I had an American friend who said he believes that he should "tip European style" as the American way is far too generous and costly. We had our last meal together three years ago after that declaration.

The European way is so prevalent that Thai staff do not expect a tip. So your friends will be good to go but there is no guarantee that they won't defile you food or drink.

So, Grant, you only tip for fear of retribution if you don't? :):D

I almost always tip and I have never thought about retribution but I have heard stories. I've also left one Baht for very poor service. In my mind the one Baht would make more of an impact than leaving nothing under the circumstances.

If a tip is expected, and you tip the expected amount, it's the same as not tipping. If it's expected and you don't tip, then you're in the negative part of the graph in what you might expect to receive service wise.. that is par or sub-par service. To get better service in such cases, you have to go above the norm, whether the norm is a nothing or 20 Baht or $5 a drink tip.... Pretty much the same in many places, not just here.... here you just happen to get more for less. I think there's a big difference between advising someone that they don't tip supermarket cashiers here to getting worked up about someone generally tipping more than you do.

Different shades of the same color. Not wanted to start a trend tipping cashiers is similar to not wanting to start a trend by tipping at a higher %.

In the end you are just trying to limit unnecessary or ineffective tipping.

I don't care if some guy with an insecurity complex likes to tip big to compensate for his shortcomings. I get concerned when i am being pressed to do likewise.

I tip when I appreciate what someone has done for me. That shouldn't include just doing there job at a sub standard level. When I have something made for me, and it is done right, I always tip, even though it is not expected. This is because I appreciate someone paying attention, and giving a crap about the quality of their work. 50 percent of waiters give a substandard effort. But 100% of them expect a tip. That is just wrong.

When a take a taxi here on Samui and must pay 500 baht for a 2km drive I always pay 100 baht in tip. :)

Thanks for the warning, I can scatch Samui off my to do list!!! By the way, do you tip out of fear or generosity or what?? 500 baht for 2 km, ridiculous. This must be a wind up.

Welcome to Samui.

We expats boycott the taxis.

Another example was the taxi driver who wanted 500 baht extra to open the trunk at the airport.

The plane was leaving and the taxi driver exploits it. Did you pay the 500 to open the trunk?? You were sort of over a barrel so to speak. Wow.

Ps

The tipping part was irony.

Ds

LOL, I had the feeling when I first read your post that surely you jest!! I just didn't listen to my inner voice. I boycotted them in Patong Beach for the same reason, way too expensive (but in 05 not quite as expensive as Samui it seems). Most of them (tuktuks drivers) were still <deleted> by the way. They had a mafia as I gather the Samui guys have and you don't mess back with them!

Different shades of the same color. Not wanted to start a trend tipping cashiers is similar to not wanting to start a trend by tipping at a higher %.

In the end you are just trying to limit unnecessary or ineffective tipping.

I don't care if some guy with an insecurity complex likes to tip big to compensate for his shortcomings. I get concerned when i am being pressed to do likewise.

I tip when I appreciate what someone has done for me. That shouldn't include just doing there job at a sub standard level. When I have something made for me, and it is done right, I always tip, even though it is not expected. This is because I appreciate someone paying attention, and giving a crap about the quality of their work. 50 percent of waiters give a substandard effort. But 100% of them expect a tip. That is just wrong.

Yeah, I disagree. There's a difference between inappropriate tipping (but still, not a big deal if they really wanted to tip the cashier... I would too if it meant faster service, or even if there was a super-express lane for more than 10 items but perhaps a 100-200 Baht surcharge type 'tip') and tipping more than the norm.

I think the whole insecurity label is generally indicative of one's own insecurities when paying less than the norm or others and at the same time having to accept sub-par service.

I also tip when someone does something special for me. I certainly don't if there was nothing special about the service. A good tip in the former case increases the chances of continued superior service, especially if you plan on continued patronage of an establishment. I'm certainly more than ready to avoid tipping and even giving insulting tips as well (the 1 satang tip is what they get when I'm particularly dissappointed with the service). One's mileage may vary, and I would think that most would agree. I'm usually pretty stingy about my money and I certainly wouldn't throw it away without reason.

The smart thing to do is to tell the person from the get go that they will be tipped if they do a good job. This works best for services in which the person is capable and likely to deliver much better service with this knowledge. Examples:

A Government official, expedited service.

Delivery Men, they pickup the pace, clean up every last piece of paper/plastic that landed on the floor and are extra polite/cautious.

Taxi Driver, no accidental missed turns.

Traditional Massage, you'll get a very strong, unlazy massage.

Waitress, you get your food first while everyone else is waiting. This includes when you order take away and many places like to prepare food for people at a table before you... You'll get bigger portions sometimes too, especially if she is just the hourly staff. ("here is x baht, can you ask the cooks to hurry, do a good job and take care of everyone? thanks!)

And a number of other services...

This makes it clear to them that they are going to go above and beyond... And of course, if there happens to be a couple of cute girls nearby, its a great conversation starter as they already know that you are 1. not a loser waiting in line like everyone else 2. not quenching those bank notes like its 1929.

I tend to tip a little better in my regular joints. However, if it is one of those owner run places sometimes I don't tip at all if the owner or even the owner's GF serves. This is probably a cultural thing I am stuck with, why tip the owner?

i like i pay

i hate i leave

Anyone calculating their tips with an other method is clearly retarded as TIP means giving money based on quality of service to show appreciation

And the fun thing is with thailand if you're really happy with a service, tipping 100-300baht is basicaly NOTHING for you (like 5-8mins worth of working at work?) and its huge for them.

Here is one for you,

shopping at one of the new villa supermarkets opened outside of bkk there is chap who only packs the bags at the end of the till - he is always polite but has a great big tumour thing on his face. I'm guessing this has given him a poor start in life here in the LoS.

Well with my big English heart i always feel sorry for the guy and say hello etc in a polite way.

would you tip this guy?

i ask because truthfully i never have tipped him and i feel bad everytime......

By the way i have never seen anyone tip these guys who pack the bags..

what would you do?

I tend to tip a little better in my regular joints. However, if it is one of those owner run places sometimes I don't tip at all if the owner or even the owner's GF serves. This is probably a cultural thing I am stuck with, why tip the owner?

yeah, I also find it weird to tip the owner, after all they're not an minimum wage ... sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't, but always feel weird in both cases, it just doesn't seem right to tip the owner ...

Canadaians are not a good sourc for tippinfo. Their culture is just like thais, they dont! Well known fact in america btw, i not making this up.

What part of Canada are you from? Of course we tip - and we are overly generous, especially for good and friendly service! If you're not a tipper, then its because you are cheap!

We also tip, probably too much, in Thailand. Another point to be made is that if the restaurant owners had to pay their staff more money versus having them rely on tips, not only would the level of service go down but they would have to charge more for their food and services.

Tipping the owner isn't appropriate, IMO... but then again, it's also inappropriate to accept a tip if you're an owner (the standard response is laughing/smiling it off while waving it away or directing the tipper towards one's employees) so I suppose it's all relative as some business owners own the whole block while others are 3-4 months behind on their rent.