Tips.when And When Not To

longstebe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm american (gasp) and i do tip differently here than back home. I admit it must be some sort of conditioning, alot of it is more "guilt-based" tipping than anything else. The whole "it's only 50 cents to me but it's 10% of daily wages to him" (based on 20 baht tip for 200 baht/day job). Also, I live here, so i interact with these people for years on end. I admit i have been influenced by the whole "kee neow" crowing of the thais. If someone ever calls me kee neow I never return to that place of business, but since there are places I do enjoy going to I tend to give the 20 baht standard to avoid getting called cheap charlie and never returning. I realize I lose some street cred here but just being honest (why i like anonymous forums, but i digress...)

I can relate to all of your comments very well.

About kee neow, these are the same people who would never tip themselves because they eat at noodle stalls and if they could afford to eat at the kind of place they work, I doubt they would tip there either, because restaurant tipping above the small change is not standard for Thais in Thailand. Double standard for farangs? You betcha!

Edited by Jingthing

I now take a leaf out of my wife's book. Tip for luggage 20 baht. Tip the taxi driver 20 baht if he get's me where I want to go in good time. Restaurants/bar 20 baht regardless of the bill.

Edited by Mosha

Like to add, I was told off for tipping 100 baht for a 4-5 hour session at the pub. Told 20 baht is adequate. So I make it 40 baht now because the service is good and I get to chat to my favourite waitresses in English. They also get free English lessons as I talk to them so often.

The English does degenerate a little when I have had a few drinks though :)

If the service is good, and they are nice and polite, I will always tip in Restaurents. The times I do not leave a tip is when the Waitress walks about 3 feet to the fridge for my drink and slams it down on the table, and the other time is if the Waitress/Waiter puts the bill down on the little silver tray, and waits. If he waits, there is no way, I will leave a Tip, if he goes away and leaves it up to me, then I feel this is nice manners and I will tip. 20 Baht.

I ate in a Restaurent last week, and the young boy waiter was so polite and nice, he polished my spoons, polished my plates with tissues, cleaned my chair before i sat, this is good service and he deserved the extra tip I gave him into the palm of his hand folded up the size of a postage stamp.

Surely tipping has to be based on how the locals tip? And basically they don't!

Having said that, in a hotel or tourist establishment you can guarantee that wages will be incredibly low (even by Thai standards), assuming that the wage will be earned in tips.

If the establishment is also used by Thais its a different situation. Leave a large tip and unfortunately they won't think you're generous, they will think 'you're stupid farang'.

That's not to say you shouldn't tip - just don't go over the top, and yes - coins in change for most services or 50 baht for a massage is perfectly acceptable.

p.s. Yes, like everyone else, I used to tip far too much when I first came here. I eventually learned that it did not result in better service next time, they just thought I was stupid!

Edited by F1fanatic

In the west tipping is a face thing. you gotta do it or your a chump. Unfortunately restaurant owners cottoned on to it so they pay low wages because the wait staff can make their living on tips. I find it to be a dishonest practice. Yet of course I tip if the service is adequate. But never if there are problems with the waiter. I understand bad food is not their fault, but how they handle a complaint is key.

If it was an honest system, wait staff would have a rating card that you hand in at the end of the meal. Those who consistently got better ratings would get more pay, better hours, promotions. Those who consistently scored low would get the boot.

I think the boss should pay for good service not the customer. The customer pays for good service by returning to eat again and again.

Anyhow, here is my list.

1.Taxi ---- round it up to a simple figure above a 20 baht min

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy) ------- simple Thai food (nothin) ----- higher end cuisine up to 10%

3.Hotel porter----- I carry my own bags, I hate having those guys around. I'll use em when I'm old, and I'll probably tip too

4.Hotel maid ----- What do you do, wait till they show up and give them a tip? can't say it ever occurred to me that people tip them. How about the guy who does an oil change for you, or the garbage man, why don't they get tips then? Actually I do tip honest mechanics, and I bring them something to drink too. This is a very good idea if you like to play with machines.

5.Salon ------ Does this mean hair salon? I guess same rule as taxi.

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr) -----I hate massage, half the time it is hel_l on earth and you never know when that is going to be, haven't been for 5 years now

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so) ------ Wouldn't know

And anything else they may come across for first timers. ----I tip the cops 200 baht just about every time they pull me over.

Edited by canuckamuck

Because were not into the custom. We didn't invent it. But just like everything else American, we are smothered in it.

I don't know where the custom comes from, but the US has taken it from a token of gratitude, to an obligatory tax now pushing past 20%.

Nice. Must have been the bankers tipping out of poorly secured assets.

Edited by canuckamuck

EvilDr, actually in the USA auto service charges are rarely added except for very large parties and then it is more than 10 percent. Not an American custom at all! The American custom is that you are culturally expected (STRONGLY) to tip between 15 and 20 percent of the tab. 15 percent is considered mean. 10 percent is acceptable if the service is terrible only and the server thinks that too. Failing to tip can result in angry confrontations with waiters and body substances in your food if you dare ever return. That said, I agree the American influence in tipping is a bad thing.

I would have to say you're so right about that, I'm a waitress in NYC, Last night, there were two people that ate $58.46 (or some change) and they gave me $60...and walked off...I was so mad...esp when I knew that I gave them good service!! The norm in our rest. is 20% I work in a high end neighborhood. They went to sit in the bar and I gave them their $1 and some change and told them they forgot something and didnt wait for a reply. Everytime we get bad tipping customers we always remember their faces. When they return some people may just give them lousy service or other people with scowl at them...etc

I also believe that tipping should be based on service, not on the food, the person serving you isnt the one cooking for you, something some of you should keep in mind. If you don't like something, it's better to speak up and say something about it so the problem can be resolved and they can make you happy, instead of just pretending that everything is great and then you have to buy another meal later. (This may or may not work in thailand, as I know thai people sometimes have a hard time speaking whats on their mind...)

Some people prob give better tips because they feel that these people get paid really crappy and a few extra baht might make their day. I know it makes my day when people tip me extra. =P

I think you're getting annoyed at the wrong people!

Its down to the restaurant owners to pay a decent wage, why should the customer have to pay 20% (!!) on top of the bill to top up an employee's wage?!

Yes, good service deserves a tip - but 20%???

But then again I come from Europe where 10% is considered reasonable - and why not, as a pure bonus and a 'thank you' for good service as opposed to paying the staff's salary?

And don't even get me started on 'service charges'! :)

Edited by F1fanatic

When I have over tipped in my significant others opinion, she takes the excess from the plate. Look at me as if I've lost the plot and says. "Why give so much?" Tip like the locals, you won't be thought of any worse. Actually being over generous may be considered as taking the piss.

If you dont want to tip dont! See how many restaurant survive paying waitresses 40-50k$ a year.

Same with alcohol. how many bars going to survive paying bartenders upwards of 60$ k a year.

And yes not all make that much but many do!

Not one of the above people make 1/10th of that in LOS.

If you dont want to tip dont! See how many restaurant survive paying waitresses 40-50k$ a year.

Same with alcohol. how many bars going to survive paying bartenders upwards of 60$ k a year.

And yes not all make that much but many do!

Not one of the above people make 1/10th of that in LOS.

And anywhere, salaries should be part of the 'menu' cost to customers. Customers are paying it anyway if they know they have to tip x amount.

Tips should be a token 'thank you' for good service - nothing more.

The Thais are right on this one.

Edited by F1fanatic

Be proud youre from wealthy countries. dam_n , many of you sound cheap as can be. 50 baht tip for a thai massage? Come on! These gorgeous creatures have to feel you up for 2 hours- for 50 baht?

They don't have to, they choose to because the pay is good - 200 baht+ a day.

Do you tip the dentist?

Why not? He has to stick his fingers in your mouth for 30 minutes.

Man westerners I have been out with seem to be worried what the waitress/taxi driver think of them.

Another thing, don't act like an ignorant tourist and walk into a restaurant and wai them.

Fortunately these people will be traveling from the UK. I have stopped going to dinner or to drinks with Europeans who for the most part do not tip or tip one to two Baht max. I had an American friend who said he believes that he should "tip European style" as the American way is far too generous and costly. We had our last meal together three years ago after that declaration.

The European way is so prevalent that Thai staff do not expect a tip. So your friends will be good to go but there is no guarantee that they won't defile you food or drink.

Do it the Aussie way...................we generally dont tip at all. Everybody here gets an agreed rate of pay, unlike in the USA where the customer has to subsidize the boss as he is too 'tight' to pay a decent wage. Only if i consider i am getting more than a good service will i consider tipping. Unfortunately the Yanks have been so brainwashed with the tipping habit, that they "educate everybody " to expect to be tipped................wish that they would keep their nasty habits in the USA !

:) .. :D:D:D:D:D

Be proud youre from wealthy countries. dam_n , many of you sound cheap as can be. 50 baht tip for a thai massage? Come on! These gorgeous creatures have to feel you up for 2 hours- for 50 baht?

Yes, but its all relevant . How many Thais tip their waiter and how many farang can eat as cheaply as a local Thai ?

First ever meal I had in this up sticks town at a Thai roadside place I left 20 Baht on the table, a young girl waitress came running down the road after I left and gave me the 20 Baht back!.

Drinking a few beers in a sleazy bar in Patpong, called girl over to pay, she brought my change and showed the palm of her hand and in large felt tip pen the word TIP, laughed so much I gave her a satang.

1.Taxi

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy)

3.Hotel porter

4.Hotel maid

5.Salon

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr)

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so)

1. don't use 'em

2. 20 (nothing fancy), more if they go out of their way (say leaving the restaurant to run across the street to buy whatever)

3. 20

4. nothing, again more if used to go get a particular type of shampoo or tube of toothpaste, etc.

5. 20 (shopping center type barber)

6. don't do the normal kind, 500-1500 (for going above and beyond)

7. 100 at the beginning of the evening and then a bit here and there over the course of the evening

I'm probably on the cheap side among my group of friend's tip wise, mostly because I still vividly remember the days of riding the bus to work.

:)

EvilDr, actually in the USA auto service charges are rarely added except for very large parties and then it is more than 10 percent. Not an American custom at all! The American custom is that you are culturally expected (STRONGLY) to tip between 15 and 20 percent of the tab. 15 percent is considered mean. 10 percent is acceptable if the service is terrible only and the server thinks that too. Failing to tip can result in angry confrontations with waiters and body substances in your food if you dare ever return. That said, I agree the American influence in tipping is a bad thing.

I would have to say you're so right about that, I'm a waitress in NYC, Last night, there were two people that ate $58.46 (or some change) and they gave me $60...and walked off...I was so mad...esp when I knew that I gave them good service!! The norm in our rest. is 20% I work in a high end neighborhood. They went to sit in the bar and I gave them their $1 and some change and told them they forgot something and didnt wait for a reply. Everytime we get bad tipping customers we always remember their faces. When they return some people may just give them lousy service or other people with scowl at them...etc

I also believe that tipping should be based on service, not on the food, the person serving you isnt the one cooking for you, something some of you should keep in mind. If you don't like something, it's better to speak up and say something about it so the problem can be resolved and they can make you happy, instead of just pretending that everything is great and then you have to buy another meal later. (This may or may not work in thailand, as I know thai people sometimes have a hard time speaking whats on their mind...)

Some people prob give better tips because they feel that these people get paid really crappy and a few extra baht might make their day. I know it makes my day when people tip me extra. =P

I read Barbara Ehrenreich's book "Nikel and Dimed" so I know how badly waitresses need tips to make up their salaries, I disagree with this custom though. Tipping simple makes low paid service jobs bearably, a better solution is to raise the minimum wage.

I believe a person should receive a salary they can live on, not just survive on.

In a hotel in Singapore the waitress's were complaining that tips went into a box that was divided up unequally between waitress and cooks at the end of each month.

I tip if the service is good, if it's bad I don't, and I don't go back.

So do restaurant/bar staff divide tips in the US?

I can't speak for all restaurants but in mine (i work in a thai place) Everyone shares tips basically from the front of the house. The bartender gets a percentage of the servers tips like 10% (because the bar makes their drinks) and the server, food runner, and busboy split the tips with the busboy getting a little less than the server and food runner. This i don't mind because in my place we all are helping each other and we should share. BUT NOW...since economic times are tough..the owner has decided that the manager must get a share of tips as well...the manager now gets the same amount of tips as the server plus a extra house pay if u will...

and to make it all legal when they close the account they place the words "Head Server" there so the manager is "legally" able to share tips. You know even this wouldent bother me, if the manager was actually there to help everyone but seems as if i'm doing his job and mine too. AHHH 2 more weeks till its over...lol 3 more weeks till i get to thailand <3

Edited by ihunnieibee

you guys are tipping 20 baht on a shopping center haircut, that costs what? when it comes to haircuts and regular massages, that cost 300-600 baht, i would think that the logical tipping amount would start at around 100 baht. 20 baht kinda sounds like ur making fun of them. here is a 3% tip.

Edited by JohnGotti

They don't have to, they choose to because the pay is good - 200 baht+ a day.

Do you tip the dentist?

You are just a cheap bastard. Take pride in it if you want, but no need to rationalize it. A 50 tip on a 2 hour good strong massage.... lol.... nooooo class.

you guys are tipping 20 baht on a shopping center haircut, that costs what? when it comes to haircuts and regular massages, that cost 300-600 baht, i would think that the logical tipping amount would start at around 100 baht. 20 baht kinda sounds like ur making fun of them. here is a 3% tip.

What's wrong with making fun of people?

Maybe they should have studied harder in school and saved and invested a little smarter (and likely their parents and grandparents too) if they wanted to make more.

Two friends of mine have just left the UK for LOS. One of the questions was about tipping.I said I would post this topic and get some replies for them as most of my time in LOS is spent out in the sticks.I was thinking 20-50baht depending on how good the service was.

So a few topics

1.Taxi

2.Restaurant(nothing fancy)

3.Hotel porter

4.Hotel maid

5.Salon

6.Massage(normal kind 2hr)

7.Bars(say a dozen beers or so)

And anything else they may come across for first timers.

As I have had the chance to live all over in the U.S. I can attest that tipping has gotten way out of hand, as I can tell you that for all listed 1-7 in the states that people normally tip. I do tip on exceptional service,i.e a very attentive waiter etc ( I have no probelm reaching into my pocket for good service) <lets keep in mind that attentive, and pushy service are at different ends of the spectrum; I also do believe it should be left up to the individual on whether they want to tip or not. And it also depends on where I am financially!

I think you're getting annoyed at the wrong people!

Its down to the restaurant owners to pay a decent wage, why should the customer have to pay 20% (!!) on top of the bill to top up an employee's wage?!

Yes, good service deserves a tip - but 20%???

But then again I come from Europe where 10% is considered reasonable - and why not, as a pure bonus and a 'thank you' for good service as opposed to paying the staff's salary?

And don't even get me started on 'service charges'! :)

Oh, and in Europe i believe the actually pay a minimum wage to servers and they get tipped on top of that. In the US at my place, be it legal or not, on top of tips i get $15 for a lunch shift and $20 for dinner shift, if you consider that a actual "wage"

and I do work in a high end neighborhood of nyc where if people go out there, they should be willing to give a good tip. It's not like i'm living in the middle of nowhere working at some roadside diner with rednecks or something lol..

Isn't it better for you, as a businessman/fellow human being fighting for his share of natural resources, that they didn't? No need to rub salt into the wound... but, I guess their facial expression might be sorta funny.

Tipping in Thailand has nothing to do with tipping in the USA. Tipping in the USA is no longer a tip, as its completely expected. Its better to just realize that instead of the restaurant raising its prices and paying a higher salary, you pay that money directly to the waitress - they pay taxes automatically on the assumption that they will get tipped X dollars. So, no, its not a tip... unless you think they would keep working there for $2.5 an hour if there were no tips.

During all this time he has tipped his caddy the princely sum of 200 baht for the round. I, recognising that inflation is at work and it hits the poor more than the well heeled, have tipped my caddy 300 baht per round for the past three years. When he found out he angrily told me that if I insisted on spoiling my caddy and thereby embarrassing him.

That's pretty much the story. You see a lot of that on all these forums. Usually in these threads, the idea gets thrown around that you are ruining the poor people by tipping them because they will drop out of school to become a waitress/masseuse or that you are insulting them by tipping.

More than likely, its just that these farang are living on small amounts of money and are upset that other farang make them look cheap.

For example, I imagine many of us have gone to eat/drink with another farang and they let us know that we don't have to tip... Which is essentially translated into, if you tip and I don't, it will make me look bad. So lets both not tip!

Edited by JohnGotti

Isn't it better for you, as a businessman/fellow human being fighting for his share of natural resources, that they didn't? No need to rub salt into the wound... but, I guess their facial expression might be sorta funny.

For those who are needlessly sensitive (undoubtedly a non-natural selection trait when it comes to hunting and gathering), maybe. It's motivational for those who will eventually rise above this type of work. I know it was for me, I tended bar in college. Whether those tips were a quarter or $5, they ended up in the same bank account... are still in there somewhere to this day.