Burglar Alarm Systems

NanLaew

My Pattaya mansion, having been kamoy-free for over 22 years was done twice in as many months this year. Both times the property was unoccupied and the first time they got inside by jemmying open the front door, smashing all 3 locks. The second attempt saw the neighbours catching the blighters jump over the wall and they called the MIB. A front window had been prised open but the kamoy bars stalled them before the took flight empty handed.

While I was buying new front door locks (after the first break-in), I noticed some Chubb branded alarm systems among others at one of the home hardware stores on Sukhumvit. These look like they would work on a condo but has anyone managed to secure a 3-bedroom house with what is available locally? I need something that triggers the floodlights and a very, very large horn like I have in Houston. Maybe 3 door sensors, 4 window sensors and a motion detector would suffice. Apart from cctv systems that require real-time surveillance to be effective, is anyone local supplying anything basic but reliable? I have toyed with Swann and Panasonic ip cameras but they are pretty worthless with TT&T's dodgy internet IMHO.

Oh yes, dogs are NOT an option here.

Many thanks,

Why not look on Ebay, there might be something suitable on there.

I was scared someone would try to break in to my house so eventualy I had some strong security railings fitted all around, I also bought a big heavy safe, it would take 3 men to carry it out past my barking dogs.

Hope you get it sorted out, I understand its a real worry.

My mate rented his house out back last December and he was very lucky to find some very good tenants.

He sent them a UK alarm - Yale - and the tenants had it fitted. I think that they were happy with it as he didn't tell me they complained.

I know that with these alarms you can add sensors, PIR's etc. to them as well as other bits of equipment thus expanding the whole system. They are plugged into th emains electric and are meant to be easy to install. Wireless.

They are really good alarms but probably very expensive in Thailand if at all.

If you want you can post here and maybe he will bring you one out as he is meant to be visiting Thailand next week. He might do it for you as he is a nice guy and would help anyone in distress due to his profession.

I'll text him to tell him what I read here and maybe he will have a look.

Anyway, it was just a thought but nothing 100%.

Best of luck.

^ Tiger. That sounds like a good option as I am in Vietnam now but back in Pattaya around 21st May. I will PM you with my contact details and see if your mate can send me details of this Yale system.

Many thanks!

^ Tiger. That sounds like a good option as I am in Vietnam now but back in Pattaya around 21st May. I will PM you with my contact details and see if your mate can send me details of this Yale system.

Many thanks!

If he can't get it in time, I'm out in about 5 weeks, so if you let me know what you want I can bring it over for you. Normally have about 10kg spare allowance. PM me if you need to. :)

My Pattaya mansion, having been kamoy-free for over 22 years was done twice in as many months this year. Both times the property was unoccupied and the first time they got inside by jemmying open the front door, smashing all 3 locks. The second attempt saw the neighbours catching the blighters jump over the wall and they called the MIB. A front window had been prised open but the kamoy bars stalled them before the took flight empty handed.

While I was buying new front door locks (after the first break-in), I noticed some Chubb branded alarm systems among others at one of the home hardware stores on Sukhumvit. These look like they would work on a condo but has anyone managed to secure a 3-bedroom house with what is available locally? I need something that triggers the floodlights and a very, very large horn like I have in Houston. Maybe 3 door sensors, 4 window sensors and a motion detector would suffice. Apart from cctv systems that require real-time surveillance to be effective, is anyone local supplying anything basic but reliable? I have toyed with Swann and Panasonic ip cameras but they are pretty worthless with TT&T's dodgy internet IMHO.

Oh yes, dogs are NOT an option here.

Many thanks,

Hi, NanLeow,

A similar fate was our lot, a bit over a year ago.

This is what you do: call Mr. Andre Machielsen at 089 - 71 93 555 This fabulous Dutchman has operated Master-Safety Co., Ltd. for over 30 years in Thailand. Don't fiddle with "DIY" 'solutions'; get professional help from this chap. I did and we never had another incident PLUS we have a peace-of-mind factor, which is priceless, if you know what I mean.

JGK/Pattaya

Many thanks!

hi nanlaew

maybe you remember me?

we met with a garmin disc recently at Tops

i have a full Yale wireless system i imported from UK

i bought one basic family system on Ebay, then added loads of other bits i bought cheap from Ebay to get it up to the 20 piece capacity of the master unit

i have assorted window/door sensors, panic buttons, PIR's/ remotes, sounders/ strobes etc etc

once purchased i had them sent to friend in UK and when i had everything i wanted, he shipped them over here

the shipping was £73, the import tax (after some negotiation with the authorities) was 2500baht

i fitted it myself in a day

its easy to program and is very effective

it can be set for home use whilst you are in the house and isolates the rooms you are occupying from activation

i sleep a whole lot better knowing its there

there have been no false alarms after 3 months

i probably saved myself £5-600 on Thai prices for the same set up after everything

i will be happy to advise you how to proceed if you want to follow suit

i also have a x4 IR camera set up and DVR too

300 Gb harddrive, 30 day reset and x4 split screen

i had it professionally installed after transfer of the major bits from my old house.

it cost 10,000 with new shielded cabling running through the roof etc

if you want to make that kind of install, i can help you with that too

to all others reading please note:

no, this is not an advert for a security service.

no, i am not a security advisor

no, i do not sell alarms, cameras etc

no i do not get commission from anyone

jjjjeesh........

best regards

timekeeper

I'm a big fan of deterrent means.

Make the other less secured properties stand out as easier potential targets.

Get those 500 Watt halogen spotlight, operated by a built in motion detector. Can't really hook them up to a horn as to easy to get false alarms (cats, birds etc). You can however put a small buzzer on them, most thieves will assume the things will have triggered some silent alarm or some such.

Not many thieves like to break doors in bright spot.

Alternatively, and this works best for me, get a decent perimeter defense system. Beams all around your outside walls, so anybody jumping over your wall will trigger an alarm, Properly set up this can be entirely false alarm free, so easily to hook up to a loud horn/siren!

Just use proper beams to avoid false alarms.

We've had a lot of burglaries in the area, I've had my perimeter alarm go of a few times, so I assume had a visit from those thieves but most likely they promptly jumped back out after the siren got blaring and the spotlights came on!

Many shops in Tukcom sell alarms, cameras, and sensors, they will also fit them.

Infra red camera's are baht 2500 to baht 3500 with a night range of 30 meters. A typical four way hard drive recorder is around baht8000

Motion sensors placed in a room can 'look' at specific doors or windows, they can be programmed to call you and typically cost around 30k for a medium size house.

A typical hard wire system that uses contacts on all doors and windows is about 30k for a three bed bungalow.

Stand alone outside radio sensors can be purchased from Home Works store for around 1200 baht. They have different channel frequencies but if you buy several with the same frequency they can all be operated from one master switch inside the house. Fit them yourself with a single screw in the wall.

Very noisy 220volt sirens can be wired to a panic button in bedrooms, they can be purchased for 500 baht at most electrical shops.

Dummy camera cases can be mounted high on walls overlooking doors, cost is 500 baht and 90 baht for the bracket.

If you want the number of the ppl that did my alarm system pm me, they seem OK and respond quickly if the system goes down which is important.

Edited by Rimmer

Loads of advice and options here, many thanks, all very much appreciated. I think anyone selling and installing systems should have a regular income this summer!

FYI, I already have two large motion-detecting, forward-facing floods mounted under the awnings that cover the whole front yard and driveway. I have a high wall too which means if the burglars suss out the place is empty (I do leave some internal lights on) and they trigger the floods, all they need to do is lay low and out of the floods forward 'view' until they turn off. Then they have reasonable privacy to carry on with dismantling the front door which is probably what they did the first time. That's why an audible alarm coupled to the floods is probably better; gets more attention, dogs barking, etc.. I will mount a smaller motion-sensing flood under the awning and covering the actual front door and patios.

The Yale systems look good and I like the 'add-on' capability. I downloaded the manual so I see a nice week in Pattaya coming up, installing the system if I go that route. The top-line model can be programmed to automatically call up to 3 phone numbers as an added alert.

Rimmer, can you pinpoint the electrical shop with the big f*ckoff noisy sirens please? I will augment whatever I install with those. I like that panic-button option. The one I had on the alarm system in Houston was so loud, it made you feel nauseous.

timekeeper, the Yale system looks good and nice to have another confirmation that it's robust and expandable. I also need to speak with you about that CD...

The key here is soothing the Thai wife's understandable superstitions regards the house. She is loath to stay there now so I need something to ease her security concerns when she is home-alone.

Edited by NanLaew

Sirens :)

Drive down Theppasit from Sukhumvit. past the two gas stations on the other side of the road. Stop and park. Just past the second one on the other side of the road going toward the beech is a very good electrical shop. It's in a fairly new looking shophouse block next to the furniture place.

Hi, NanLeow,

This is what you do: call Mr. Andre Machielsen at 089 - 71 93 555 This fabulous Dutchman has operated Master-Safety Co., Ltd. for over 30 years in Thailand. Don't fiddle with "DIY" 'solutions'; get professional help from this chap. I did and we never had another incident PLUS we have a peace-of-mind factor, which is priceless, if you know what I mean.

JGK/Pattaya

Yeah I used Andre too, installed in the whole house (2 story), slept like a baby since he-he, they simple can't get upstairs as the bad guys will first have to breach one system and then the motion/heat sensor in the living room ads as an extra security as they will have to pass that in order to get upstairs.

Andre is properly not the cheapest in town, but then again I will not compromise with this issue.

I can only recommend to pay Andre a visit in his shop on South Pattaya Road and he can give you a good estimate/options for you house. He also have the whole range if wanted: Outside lights, connected to the phone line etc., up to you how far you want to go.

PS remember to switch it off at 0300 in the morning after a night out before opening you front door, guards came running/lights on at the neighbors houses, ups, everbody gave me the look later that day, hehe :)

I have had Andre's system in for 5 years, absolutely superb. Have the large lights outside, the PIR system inside together with magnetic breakers on every window. The wiring is hardly noticeable and I can highly recommend his after sales service.

I had my doorlocks changed on the day I moved into my house. I have metal keycards for my entry, no keys. The system cost me 49,000 baht for a 3 bedded house with 3 main entry points, 14 alarmed windows and 4 outside flood lights The keycard system was an extra 10,000. Quite a few of the houses near me without alarms, even those with bars on their windows have been broken into.

If you have the opportunity, when building a new house (can be done on existing roofing), have insulation (LOHR Trading) sprayed onto your roof, keeps anybody from pulling up the tiles, this is the usual entry for thieves. Of course some people get done whilst in their house, having a shower, swimming or relaxing because they leave their front doors open. With Andre's system you can alarm all the doors to the house except one, this works well for me when I am in my terrace or pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Vietnam and guess what? The bastards smashed their way in through the back door. That's a 12' wall with glass on top but once inside the tiny enclosed back yard, they took forever to destroy the door, frame and aluminum screen to steal.... bugger all! AGAIN!! The property immediately behind has been empty for years so that was an easy way to get to my back door. I always left the back yard light on so I guess they can thank me for making their break-in easier in that regard. I guess that light stays off from now on.

I can only assume it's the same clowns that were caught trying to get in the front window about 3 weeks ago. Anyway, the place has been 'secured' again and I am investing in a Yale wireless alarm system as well as steel framed, steel doors and some major upgrades to the window frames and latches. I may just wire the steel doors and window kamoy bars to 240V to be on the safe side eh?

Just back from Vietnam and guess what? The bastards smashed their way in through the back door. That's a 12' wall with glass on top but once inside the tiny enclosed back yard, they took forever to destroy the door, frame and aluminum screen to steal.... bugger all! AGAIN!! The property immediately behind has been empty for years so that was an easy way to get to my back door. I always left the back yard light on so I guess they can thank me for making their break-in easier in that regard. I guess that light stays off from now on.

I can only assume it's the same clowns that were caught trying to get in the front window about 3 weeks ago. Anyway, the place has been 'secured' again and I am investing in a Yale wireless alarm system as well as steel framed, steel doors and some major upgrades to the window frames and latches. I may just wire the steel doors and window kamoy bars to 240V to be on the safe side eh?

NanLaew, i am very sorry to hear about this.

if you want to see my yale system as a reference to your install, please PM me

I just put all this on another thread...

I have installed a Yale wireless alarm system I purhcased in UK, You can add up to 20 devices to this the choice covers

PIR sensor

PIR pet friendly

Remote keypad

Smoke detectore

Window/Door contacts

Wireless remote control

And Sirens

This is a great system and easy for anyone to set up, it has a home mode also so you can set which sensors you want left on at night also it will bleep when one of the doors is opened such as the front door.

I have also purhcased a cattle grade electric fence, braded rope, insulated screws, solar panel and battery.

The electric fence runs itself, just let the solar panel charge up the battery and turn it on and off at night. I have added a mains connection if the battery was to fail... the fence is set behind 3 strands of barb wire ontop off the wall. This was a fraction of the cost that was payed above and pretty easy to set up.

I have put some posting on here about this, but as usual with TV you get the whinging old T***s that like to complain about everything, its my house and I want my own security.. and it dont look obscene.

Its all a good deterant... some nice high voltage signs from Global on the wall also add to the effect.

I have also purhcased a cattle grade electric fence, braded rope, insulated screws, solar panel and battery. The electric fence runs itself, just let the solar panel charge up the battery and turn it on and off at night. I have added a mains connection if the battery was to fail... the fence is set behind 3 strands of barb wire ontop off the wall. This was a fraction of the cost that was payed above and pretty easy to set up.

I have put some posting on here about this, but as usual with TV you get the whinging old T***s that like to complain about everything, its my house and I want my own security.. and it dont look obscene.

Its all a good deterant... some nice high voltage signs from Global on the wall also add to the effect.

Blackcountryboing,

May I humbly suggest not using braided rope. Firstly that is for horses and secondly I wonder if a thief is going to connect (sic) braided rope with the possiblilty of a shock. He may think you just have some signs hung on a piece of string. For animal fence warning the local "code" is small strips of white shopping bag hung at intervals.

Yes the intimidating look of a properly installed security fence and all the warning signs act as a deterrent against petty crime. But for security against human intrusion, rather than corraling of animals, it is the detection capability of a security fence that is the primary benefit. If the fence is tampered with or attempted to be breached, an alarm is generated alerting the property owner before access is gained.

I still subscribe to the 240V 'cattle' fence as encountered in rural Victoria and South Australia. After 3 burglaries in 3 months, I don't really care for detection and alarms. Fry the thieving yabaa heads!

I used Mr.Andre at Master Safety and not impressed for the fee that we paid. The initial instalation was fine and they said that they would return "soon" to complete some add ons ...call mobile etc when alarm goes off. With several reminder calls it took 2 (yes two) years later and this guy turns up does not have a clue what he is doing and i had to send him away after 5 hours of dickin about. The guys who installed my system were from BKK and not local and if this is still the case then it's not very handy for any maintenance that may be required. We bought the required sensors etc from Tukom to alarm our roof, windows and doors when the extension was built and installed ourself.

Just my experience.

Fair point on your observations about my electric fence instalment.

The rope braided conducter is plenty enough to give you a well decent shock. Having experienced this when I had a bad earth.

I purchased a high grade energizer that puts out plenty of power, and i see no reason why this will not work, if it will detter a horse then its going to work on a human.

In my opinion the system I have is what is required, it now costs nothing to maintain and operate. All very nice having a system that allerts you to tampering etc, but the cost for such a system would be significantly higher.

My house is protected by a good quality alarm system shoud they get over the fence and 2 dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

So what you think guys, now those wireless alarm systems are very popular and getting cheap. Personally I still would prefer wired system, as I do not fully trust in those wireless things (interferences, false alarms etc.).

What is the approx. cost to equip a 2 storey 3 bd rm house with a decent alarm? I think a budget of abt. 50 k THB should be sufficient? Who has installed a system recently?

Cheers.

Edited by moo9

So what you think guys, now those wireless alarm systems are very popular and getting cheap. Personally I still would prefer wired system, as I do not fully trust in those wireless things (interferences, false alarms etc.).

What is the approx. cost to equip a 2 storey 3 bd rm house with a decent alarm? I think a budget of abt. 50 k THB should be sufficient? Who has installed a system recently?

Cheers.

I got two storey 5 bedrooms cost 32K about eight months back for hard wire system on all doors and windows with two key pads.

Get them to run any cable in the ceiling in flexible steel conduit though as the rats love to eat those small cables, might cost a bit more but it's cheaper on call outs in the long run.

Cheers.

I got two storey 5 bedrooms cost 32K about eight months back for hard wire system on all doors and windows with two key pads.

Get them to run any cable in the ceiling in flexible steel conduit though as the rats love to eat those small cables, might cost a bit more but it's cheaper on call outs in the long run.

If you are satisfied, please PM me the contact, thanks.

Wrong - wireless - dont ya own a mobile - is the only way to fly.

I have had wireless alarms - and everything else forever.

The central monitoring is critical-mass however.

BR>Jack

Personally I still would prefer wired system, as I do not fully trust in those wireless things (interferences, false alarms etc.).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I used Mr.Andre at Master Safety and not impressed for the fee that we paid. The initial instalation was fine and they said that they would return "soon" to complete some add ons ...call mobile etc when alarm goes off. With several reminder calls it took 2 (yes two) years later and this guy turns up does not have a clue what he is doing and i had to send him away after 5 hours of dickin about. The guys who installed my system were from BKK and not local and if this is still the case then it's not very handy for any maintenance that may be required. We bought the required sensors etc from Tukom to alarm our roof, windows and doors when the extension was built and installed ourself.

Just my experience.

I feel Mr. Scot is not telling a full story. Master Safety Enterprises Ltd. will reply to any PTY based request within 24 hrs, Chonburi province within 48 hrs. and country wide within 7 days. 2 years waiting is either a writing mistake or else an outright lie. Master Safety Enterprises Ltd. is 22 years in business, they must do something good.

The OP purchased a Yale wireless system in the UK. The system was hand carried here and installed last month.

The OP is very, very satisfied with the Yale wireless system!

End of!

PS pattaya_girl: thanks or the eBay referal. I ended up buying direct from the chaps website as the prices were much better!

PPS timekeeper: I still want to see your installation as I plan doing a 'big' system on the Udon mansion. I will call you. Thanks!

PPPS R2Quad: I will be in the market for another system very soon so I will be checking if you have room in your checked bag again. Coffee on me next time! (ps Did you find the telephone wire you were looking for?)

Edited by NanLaew