Temporary Car Insurance For Thailand?

Hi there,

My partner and I are planning on spending two months in Thailand, and will be importing our 4x4 from Belgium. Lots of posts imply that it's better to hire a car, but our plans stretch bit further and we will most likely be using the car in Malaysia, India, etc, etc, and is all part of the experience we're looking for. We have everything arranged for temporary import, and understand the rules about that - but have not had any success in finding information on getting temporary insurance to cover the vehicle while we are there. Ideally we're looking for comprehensive cover not just CTPL.

If such a thing doesn't exist, can anyone give us a ball park idea of costs for taking out insurance for 1 year?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

I'm not sure about 2 months Insurance, but you can get a years Insurance and then get a refund on the unused part when you cancel the policy.

The amount you have to pay will depend on the amount you want to insure for, and depending on the company, age, driving experience, previous claims etc all play a part.

Source a compay through the Internet and ask for a quote.

Hi there,

My partner and I are planning on spending two months in Thailand, and will be importing our 4x4 from Belgium. Lots of posts imply that it's better to hire a car, but our plans stretch bit further and we will most likely be using the car in Malaysia, India, etc, etc, and is all part of the experience we're looking for. We have everything arranged for temporary import, and understand the rules about that - but have not had any success in finding information on getting temporary insurance to cover the vehicle while we are there. Ideally we're looking for comprehensive cover not just CTPL.

If such a thing doesn't exist, can anyone give us a ball park idea of costs for taking out insurance for 1 year?

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

Vey simple - simply ask Thai Visa Insurance for a quote. They are Brokers and can offer the best deal for your circumstances

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

May I ask.. How have you arranged temporary import ??

Have you left the specified and agreed bond.. And do you have faith you will get it back ??

I ask as I was under the impression that while a Malaysian car can be brought in using the owners promise in lie of a bond, and motorbikes the same.. That cars belonging to westerners / registered in europe cannot.. The bond I was quoted was astronomical and of course getting sums like that back from the government is risky at best.

Thailand is also not a member of the usual carnet system and the ATA carnet is only for commercial items or racing cars etc..

I think it would make more sense.

To Buy one here say 2 or 3 years old chances are you would get most of the outlay back

That is if you are able to with your status. People on here will tell you.

If that is not available to you. Long term Hire

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

Have you left the specified and agreed bond.. And do you have faith you will get it back ??

I ask as I was under the impression that while a Malaysian car can be brought in using the owners promise in lie of a bond, and motorbikes the same.. That cars belonging to westerners / registered in europe cannot.. The bond I was quoted was astronomical and of course getting sums like that back from the government is risky at best.

Thailand is also not a member of the usual carnet system and the ATA carnet is only for commercial items or racing cars etc..

I'm not sure what the mechanisms are in place in terms of bringing a foregin registered car in Thailand, but I saw one Khazakstan 4x4 (sp?) plated car parked a BKK airport not more than 4 weeks ago, having driven overland via india and a bunch of asian countries which it had stickers all over the back. Was very impresed.

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

Tanachart and Bangkok insurance are decent companies. Expect 2,5%, iow 1 mill baht car cover cost 25.000 baht for one year. Do not expect to get 10 months refund after 2 months, but maybe 70% of the 10 months. Often payed with a check a few weeks later.

I m looking forward to read how you have organised the temp import to LOS :)

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Khaled

I'm not sure what the mechanisms are in place in terms of bringing a foregin registered car in Thailand, but I saw one Khazakstan 4x4 (sp?) plated car parked a BKK airport not more than 4 weeks ago, having driven overland via india and a bunch of asian countries which it had stickers all over the back. Was very impresed.

Ohh it is possible.. However the mechanism to do so (as I researched anyway) requires leaving a huge bond (basically the same as the import tax) on the car in cash or bank guarantee.. This is the same mind numbing figures as the import duty customs imposes and while something a TV travel show might be able to logistically do its beyond most people. I would also be extremely nervous about ever getting the bond back from Thai authorities, you know, the usual, no that form wasnt stamped in triplicate, we need the original of everything, then when they lose them demand them to be produced or not get the bond back. At a high level like a travel show with some kind of TAT backing in working it out perhaps, but for Joe Blow public ?? Well theres a reason the vast majority transit India to Malaysia on RTW car journeys.

Talked with some English guys with uk car couple of weeks ago. They didnt have to deposit any money, but sign a guarantee. If car lost in LOS, or not exported in time, guarantee has to be payed before leaving the country. Yes thats 300-500% of car value.

You are supposed to be able to have the vehicle here for 180 days, but those I have talked with have only been granted temp import for one tourist visa with extension/90 days. It seems like its only granted for entryvisa and touristvisa holders.

I was dreaming a while for a US titled right side steering Corvette brand new at 47k $ (1,6 mill baht), and take it 3 days to malaysia every 6 months. Dream on so far :)

Lets see what OP comes up with

Then they have considerably changed the way they interpret that law.. Because they are now applying the same as with motorbikes.. Working on a self promise system..

Then you get 60 days in and extend at the local customs for up to 6 months.. Same as bikes.. I have a few mates with US regged harleys doing this for years. But cars were firm on needing the bond as of 2 years back.. That was at sadao / Malay border.

Then they have considerably changed the way they interpret that law.. Because they are now applying the same as with motorbikes.. Working on a self promise system..

Then you get 60 days in and extend at the local customs for up to 6 months.. Same as bikes.. I have a few mates with US regged harleys doing this for years. But cars were firm on needing the bond as of 2 years back.. That was at sadao / Malay border.

Doesnt seem to bad

Still waiting for OP to explain how they are dealing with it