Phuket Police: Aussie Arrest No Laughing Matter

george

Matter now resolved, Thai Officialdom wins looking lenient and fair and helpful, while the police save face by not dropping the charges and remain the Guardians of The Law, The Judicial System does its job, the Perpetrator retires to her family of weeping daughters and settles in to life on the Media circus ,..er circuit , Australian Gov looks to have been influential ,.....but that bastard of a bar owner with probably no work permit , who watches his patrons with CCTV and has hired guns secreted all over his bar and who is ruthless and unforgiving and just another example of evil Aussie bogan badboys will be left with the fallout.

Tough luck Steve,....pop a coupla bottles of water on ice and i'll see you for the first State of Origin game in a few weeks.

:):D :D

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a good situation with a "war of words" and both sides digging in to their positions. The Thai police colonel defending his men's actions and the Australian press making the story front page news (which I am in favor of.)

What ever went down, it looks like the Phuket authorities are not backing down on this one.

Nothing turns a tourist off more than heavy handed Police. Why was it necessary for anyone to be put in a cell for what was obviously a trivial offence? A notice to re-appear, even a seizure of passport, wouldn't have caused a ripple in the world news. Maybe she was abusive - police deal with abusive drunks every day. If you can't deal with it, change jobs.

And now the "Big Pig" says this is how things are done here, without the slightest thought to the repercussions. Why should he worry, he's on a sweet salary.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as bad publicity. when an English lass was murdered on Lamai Beach, Samui, pictures of the beach were shown on UK tv. A friend's mother thought that it looked lovely, and convinced her to visit. As she said, "I can get raped and murdered in my own street."

She was offered an easy way out.. On the night.. Sign the declaration, admit your guilty, pay small fine.. But she wouldnt !! She said she wasnt guilty, she refused to sign the statement, wanted english translations, wanted english speaking lawyers, wanted it her way.. So then they process her by the book, bail her, and send her to court.. And still its not OK ??

She had multiple chances at an easy way out.. And she didnt take them.

I hope the Aussie bar goes broke we don't need australians like this owner Steve you and your bar are trash

OK so Steve with a little counseling and the right attitude could change and be redeemed,.....but that bar, now how you gonna deal with that bar, and its an Aussie bar which makes it even tougher to redeem. Its a no good downright dirty rotten Aussie bar and should be bulldozed and replaced with a good wholesome, respectful and healthy,......juice bar, yeah how about that ???!!

yea thats the right attitude and a few beers and the AFL. just get rid of this steve character and all his thai police mates

Wow, small as Steve is, he must have really whipped your ass when you miss behaved in there.

Place is full, I had a text from a mate today. It will stay full and the photo opps are being snapped up.

We need good bar owners like this. What we don't need are bogans on stag and hen parties behaving like slobs and then behaving like children when they are caught.

Lets also take note that she pleaded GUILTY ! Everyone who says she didnt do it can now see that she did. You were all wrong ! She pleaded guilty to theft in a court of law (although not the laws of a country that you would wish for).

Why didnt she just admit it straight away instead of causing all this trouble ?

Personally I would jail her for lying about her mates playing a prank !!

Maybe she was having a "joke" with the court that would be fun wouldn't it!!

Pleading guilty in any language means the same, with all the legal back up she was in contact with if she had a defence surley the lawyers would not have allowed a travestery of justice to happen with so much media attention their reputations could be in tatters!!!

No. Most of you are still not reading the articles and keeping up to date. Also you do not seem to realise that pleading guilty is the only way to get out of this country fast and it is proven by the fact that the Governer of Phuket says very straight that she is not guilty and did nothing wrong, he also paid her 1000 baht fine out of his own pocket and he apologised to her. These are not the actions taken against someone that actually committed a crime.

You can go on all day about "why" she pleaded guilty, the fact is she admitted guilt. Which makes her a convicted dirty thief ! Was the Phuket Governor with her in the bar at the time ? I doubt he was. He probably thought it better to actually agree with the stupid b*tch in order to shut her up and stop her from digging herself an even bigger hole !

I am truly amazed at the amount of people on here condoning theft. You all should be ashamed !

I personally hope this tramp has nightmares for the rest of her life ! I bet her kids are going to be real proud of her for !

Lets also take note that she pleaded GUILTY ! Everyone who says she didnt do it can now see that she did. You were all wrong ! She pleaded guilty to theft in a court of law (although not the laws of a country that you would wish for).

Pleading guilty in any language means the same, with all the legal back up she was in contact with if she had a defence surley the lawyers would not have allowed a travestery of justice to happen with so much media attention their reputations could be in tatters!!!

No. Most of you are still not reading the articles and keeping up to date. Also you do not seem to realise that pleading guilty is the only way to get out of this country fast and it is proven by the fact that the Governer of Phuket says very straight that she is not guilty and did nothing wrong, he also paid her 1000 baht fine out of his own pocket and he apologised to her. These are not the actions taken against someone that actually committed a crime.

I am reading the articals and have posted a comment on the above issue regarding the face saving and passing the buck coup made by this statement.(I do not see any statement that says she did not do anything wrong though)

If I had the amazing amount of legal expertees at my finger tips and I could prove my inocents I as sure as He-ll would not plead guilty to something that I did not do. I fully understand that if surcumstannces were not as they were in this case then a guilty plea would have been an option with the 2-5 year sentance as a punishment. Any good legal stratergist would have jumped at the chance to prove their client not guilty with good suporting evedence and excelent witnesses along with the amazing amount of international media coverage that this case had this would have been a very big feather in any law firms cap. Now tell me I am wrong

Yes, indeed another reason to stay away from this third-world country. I'll be heading to more civilized nations in the immediate neighbourhood.

Good and stay there. The topic is a towel snatcher and the "Austral-Asian OVER reaction".

Not a good situation with a "war of words" and both sides digging in to their positions. The Thai police colonel defending his men's actions and the Australian press making the story front page news (which I am in favor of.)

What ever went down, it looks like the Phuket authorities are not backing down on this one.

Nothing turns a tourist off more than heavy handed Police. Why was it necessary for anyone to be put in a cell for what was obviously a trivial offence? A notice to re-appear, even a seizure of passport, wouldn't have caused a ripple in the world news. Maybe she was abusive - police deal with abusive drunks every day. If you can't deal with it, change jobs.

And now the "Big Pig" says this is how things are done here, without the slightest thought to the repercussions. Why should he worry, he's on a sweet salary.

On the other hand, there is no such thing as bad publicity. when an English lass was murdered on Lamai Beach, Samui, pictures of the beach were shown on UK tv. A friend's mother thought that it looked lovely, and convinced her to visit. As she said, "I can get raped and murdered in my own street."

She was offered an easy way out.. On the night.. Sign the declaration, admit your guilty, pay small fine.. But she wouldnt !! She said she wasnt guilty, she refused to sign the statement, wanted english translations, wanted english speaking lawyers, wanted it her way.. So then they process her by the book, bail her, and send her to court.. And still its not OK ??

She had multiple chances at an easy way out.. And she didnt take them.

Um so if you are a thai arrested in Australia don't speak or read english and someone is throwing a piece of paper under your nose saying something that you do not understand then you would just sign.. Thanks I just got your 1st born your house and a confession to all the unsolved murders..

Laughingman,

you've obviously read the reports, considered them and decided that from what you have read, there is nothing to prove her guilt.

You've also read the report of the outcome and have the ability to understand why an innocent person would plead guilty.

Most innocent people when given the choice of being kept in a foreign country for months and then possibly facing years in jail OR pleading guilty with the promise of a light fine and immediate release will go for the latter option.

You also understand, correctly in my opinion, from the Governor's statement that he considers her innocent

I hope that if ever I am accused of a crime that I will have a jury of people like you and not this other Hang her High Mob.

So VGrissak Songmoonnark just how much money do you and your BB steal everyday from your own people? One day your stealing time will come to an end and i hope that i will be there to see it. Democracy is a word that you will eventually understand.

Tourism RIP

Rick

You can go on all day about "why" she pleaded guilty, the fact is she admitted guilt. Which makes her a convicted dirty thief ! Was the Phuket Governor with her in the bar at the time ? I doubt he was. He probably thought it better to actually agree with the stupid b*tch in order to shut her up and stop her from digging herself an even bigger hole !

I am truly amazed at the amount of people on here condoning theft. You all should be ashamed !

I personally hope this tramp has nightmares for the rest of her life ! I bet her kids are going to be real proud of her for !

I am shocked they involved the kids. Most sensible non theiving parents would have been so ashamed (even if an unwilling partner in this yobbish behaviour) they would have hushed it up, sorted it out and slunk home hoping the kids never hear of it.

They will find soon that a wave of press involvement doesn't mean press sympathy. They can easily turn on her now espescialy as she got off scott free, tarnished the reputation of many ozzy tourists, and copped a free holiday in one of Phukets finest resorts. Any Aussies please keep us in touch of how her gravy train turns out.

I fear she didn't suffer enough for the press and public to really get on her side.

Lets hope when she does go home she doesn't add Perjury to her list of crimes. On her television circuit next week if she claims she lied in court well....

And as for the idiot Brumby, he is in big sh1t when he comes here after what he said.

Laughingman,

you've obviously read the reports, considered them and decided that from what you have read, there is nothing to prove her guilt.

You've also read the report of the outcome and have the ability to understand why an innocent person would plead guilty.

Most innocent people when given the choice of being kept in a foreign country for months and then possibly facing years in jail OR pleading guilty with the promise of a light fine and immediate release will go for the latter option.

You also understand, correctly in my opinion, from the Governor's statement that he considers her innocent

I hope that if ever I am accused of a crime that I will have a jury of people like you and not this other Hang her High Mob.

I agree that most people under normal circumstances would take your advice.

But this case has such a high profile internationally and the legal teams were very high quality if there was any evidence that could have proved that she was not guilty it would have been used to return a not guilty verdict. the criminal prior to the court hearing was NOT in a Thai jail awaiting trial but was on bail, not having to deal with lawyers in a stinking cell but free. Now tell me what part of this case I have missed?

Edited by ohdearohdearohdear

I truly do not know what this particular bars policy is on stolen goods.

That being said, I do know of Thai waitstaff working for International food and coffee chains, who have had to pay for items stolen at their stations. I do know of Thai waitstaff who have had to pay for food refused by customers, often from misunderstanding spoken English, which, by the way, is a foreign language in Thailand. I also know for a fact that Thai waitstaff are not paid salaries the visiting tourists are paid in their country of origin.

Exactly the same thing happens in tourist resorts, I gather. In other words if a tourist queries a bottle of wine which has allegedly been mistakenly charged to them, the cost is docked from the resort's Thai staff who are paid bugger-all in the first place.

Back on topic, as a Pom, I wonder whether this poor(?) woman was only making some misguided attempt to inject some fun into her life as an antidote to the inevitable but (for her) depressing prospect of the Aussies being stuffed in the forthcoming Ashes series......

That being said, I do know of Thai waitstaff working for International food and coffee chains, who have had to pay for items stolen at their stations. I do know of Thai waitstaff who have had to pay for food refused by customers, often from misunderstanding spoken English, which, by the way, is a foreign language in Thailand. I also know for a fact that Thai waitstaff are not paid salaries the visiting tourists are paid in their country of origin.

Exactly the same thing happens in tourist resorts, I gather. In other words if a tourist queries a bottle of wine which has allegedly been mistakenly charged to them, the cost is docked from the resort's Thai staff who are paid bugger-all in the first place.

Back on topic, as a Pom, I wonder whether this poor(?) woman was only making some misguided attempt to inject some fun into her life as an antidote to the inevitable but (for her) depressing prospect of the Aussies being stuffed in the forthcoming Ashes series......

now some serious stuff. bring it on you pommies....

Seems wierd Thaksin gets 2 years for 773 million baht scandal, and they're counting up to five for a bar mat.....

Yeah, like I said 'situational interpretation' of law.

This incident was unnecessary for any reasons.

I thought they said about 73 Billion baht and its likely only what they think he ripped of while PM. Add his partner in AIS who lost his money and got the boot etc and its likely much more... Add other stuff and I think what they got back is likely peanuts...

Whatever the cost of the Bar mat (stupid name) is not important, to me much more funny is that sofar nobody remarks that the lady has likely a Dutch family name and Smoel has a bad meaning! I am not going to explain it now but she clearly doesn't know that sometimes its better NOT to speak.... Ie, keep the mouth shut...(g) I assume she had an ancestor during Napoleons time when they had to select surnames who also couldn't keep her mouth shut!!! And changing a surname in Holland is rarely done as they need the queen for that and you need good reasons....

So, she DIDN'T plead guilty to something she DIDN'T do, earlier,

because she would have logically believed she would then REALLY go to jail.

That's what would have happened in OZ,

and then not till she went to court for arraignment with in a few hours.

Not the 'thai way' of showing contrition and remorse and all goes away.

WHY would EVER have understood that is what to do?

Where was it said her friends lied about the prank?

Never seen that. We have heard the police ignored a confession

to keep on after the one they HAD in detention.

Can't lose face by changing direction, or mind.

Even as NEW information becomes available.

They were waiting for THEIR chossen patsy to admit it,

not the ACTUAL cause of the incident.

Seems;

A CONFESSION IS ONLY GOOD FROM THE PARTY THEY WANT TO CONFESS?

The essence of this all being unnecessary 'police idiocy'

is the actions and words of the Phuket Governor in diffusing it all.

Who would want to be a fly on the wall when the Police chief got spoken to by the Gov....

Seems wierd Thaksin gets 2 years for 773 million baht scandal, and they're counting up to five for a bar mat.....

Yeah, like I said 'situational interpretation' of law.

This incident was unnecessary for any reasons.

I thought they said about 73 Billion baht and its likely only what they think he ripped of while PM. Add his partner in AIS who lost his money and got the boot etc and its likely much more... Add other stuff and I think what they got back is likely peanuts...

Whatever the cost of the Bar mat (stupid name) is not important, to me much more funny is that sofar nobody remarks that the lady has likely a Dutch family name and Smoel has a bad meaning! I am not going to explain it now but she clearly doesn't know that sometimes its better NOT to speak.... Ie, keep the mouth shut...(g) I assume she had an ancestor during Napoleons time when they had to select surnames who also couldn't keep her mouth shut!!! And changing a surname in Holland is rarely done as they need the queen for that and you need good reasons....

Removed, read the forums rules, stop the name calling & rude language. The next one will result in a posting holiday

She just have to pay the small fine and sign name admit the the behavior, so that she would already free i a have and hour.

But she refused to do, as the fact THAI POLICE couldn't get any solicitor for her 3-4 o'clock for thiev food.

Someone might think she doesn't deserve all the abuse the gets her in this forum.

I say, bring it on. If she wanted to she could have kept it on the down-low, but she and her family decided to contact every newspaper around.

So now you have it, everyone will see that you leave your kids to go and drink in a land far away where stealing things is considered a joke within the group you travel with. Classy people.

Mr Rudd said staff at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok were working directly with Smoel and her family and with the Thai authorities on the case.

Now this statement is strange indeed as the Embassy does not get involved in these issues (i was told in writing before)

They always suggest you get your own lawyer

now we have the PM of OZ directing resources to the bar mat stealer of Phuket

GIVE ME A BREAK

It's a pity the Australian government doesn't show as much interest in it's honest citizens that choose to live in Thailand. After 30 years plus working in Australia and paying taxes and an ANZAC to boot I am denied all medical and other assistance from the Australian government. Thanks Mr Rudd.

Its an absolute disgrace, and I feel very sorry for this Woman.

why - she is a thief :)

Put your glasses on and read the story again "idiot" !!! Some other woman planted the Bar towel in her bag AND she never even left the premises.

Hopefully now she will go back to Australia and put all that has happenned behind her and let the story die a natural death.

I assume that somewhere (probably with the bar owner) is the CCTV footage of what actually happenned which, since I believe even her own lawyer admitted she was in a drunken state,

would not be pleasant viewing for either her or the police and would probably tarnish the hard done by mother of four image being portrayed.

I recall in my youth friends doing the same thing. Playing a joke on their friend so they can get a shot glass or whatever out of the bar. It was clearly theft on someone's part. A bit overblown but still a theft.

You have been away from home too long. It was a prank for Gods sake! So she deserves 5 years in the nick, Thailand is fast becoming a complete joke. There are many great places around the world other than that,m so they should be very careful. The cops are bent end of story.

Rick