Tourist Visa Run!

Hey all,

New to these boards and pretty new to Bangkok, only been here 2 months. Anyway up until this point I have either had a 30 day exempt visa on arrival (flying in,) or a 15 day stamp. I was planning on going for the tourist visa this Saturday. I know the embassies/consulates won't be open until Monday but I figured this would be the best time to go. My current stamp expires this Saturday also.

I had settled on Phnom Penh, but if Vientiane is better I can go there. At the moment I am planning on going it on my own without the use of an agency. I'm pretty sure I can get there and back on my own, my only concern is documentation.

I would have only a passport, visa app. picture and money (I can show them the 10,000 baht the claim they want to see.) I don't, currently, have a ticket showing onward travel. I could obtain one.

I don't have a work permit, and therefor can't show them proof of residence also.

Will I need a plane ticket to get the tourist visa?

Will I need any other documents beside visa application and my passport?

Is it better to get the visa in Vientiane or Phnom Penh?

Can I get a double entry tourist visa/ 2 regular entry tourist visas at both locations?

I know that tourist visa's are free right now. I assume that means I can get one single entry tourist visa for free. Is this correct or is it possible to get 2 free tourist visa's or 1 free double entry visa (I'm doubtful, but have to ask.)?

I am American and definitally well under the age of retierment.

Viantiane is the best option. You can get a free double entry tourist visa there.

They don't ask for tickets or anything else. Just passport and copy of it's photo page, 2 photos and a completed application form.

Be there early Monday morning because it will be busy that day (opens st 8:30). Apply that morning and get it back Tuesday afternoon.

Phnom Penh is possible but we have had mixed reports on getting a 2 entry there.

Edit: See the last few pages of this topic for info on Vientiane visa run, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Vientiane-La...sa-t158561.html

Lite Beer that form will not work in Vientiane this one will: http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Okay, it sounds like Vientiane is the call, thanks for the help.

One more question, what is the best way to get to Vientiane. If anybody knows a cost efficient, looking at the 4000 baht and under range preferably, that's also not too many steps (i.e. as few modes of transportation as possible,) that would be excellent. I actually had decided upon PP because it was just a train ride and then a bus ride.

Is their an equally easy, and hopefully not too expensive, way to get to Vientiane?

It helps to know where you are - but assuming Bangkok there is direct bus service I believe (although believe you need to obtain visa first). Other than that there is direct train and bus service to Nong Khai (border) and you bus/taxi from there. There is also an extension train service but it stops about 8km from Vientiane so it is still a taxi ride. There is air service to Vientiane and Udon (about a 40 minute bus ride from border).

You can take the trian to Nong Kai that connects with a train to cross the border into Laos. I think if you go back from the last page of the topic I posted you will find info about it. When you get to Laos you can take a bus into Vientiane.

Link to website with schedules and other info for trains.

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

The train is a good choice if you get a sleeper. But you need to buy the ticket in advance to be sure you get the class you want, You for sure don't want 3rd class because it is a bench not a seat.

The train is a good choice if you get a sleeper. But you need to buy the ticket in advance to be sure you get the class you want, You for sure don't want 3rd class because it is a bench not a seat.

I assume this is leaving from hua lumphong. How far in advance? When does the train leave?

There's a website that has the train info, but I think it might be outdated, so seemed a good idea to ask here.

Regards

The link I gave you should be up to date. They don't change schedules that often. I checked the arrival time for the one that gets to Nong Kai at 8:25 AM is corrct.

At least a day in advance.

All trains start out from Hua Lumphong .

Ok, guys thanks for all this assistance.

I have just one final question.

Is it better to bring usd to pay for the Lao visa at the border, or baht. I'm pretty sure they accept both, I heard $35 was the amount. Anybody know how many baht it would be for an American.

Regards

Ivantheterrible

Yes

But if you arrive after 4PM or on weekends they charge a little more for overtime. I don't remember the exact amount.

Ah, well I'll be there on the weekend, anybody know the extra amount they charge? In baht or usd?

Is there an extra amount for overtime period, or only if paying with USD?

sorry to ask so many questions.

Regards

Ivantheterrible

It applices to both baht and $.

It not much. If I remember correctly it is less than 100 baht or a couple of $.

I was jut making you aware so that you would not think you were being cheated.

You should not be asked by Consulate but you could be asked on arrival immigration to show the funds; but it is highly unlikely. I would always travel with an ATM card that I could prove funds if needed.

I would always travel with an ATM card that I could prove funds if needed.

I was thinking this, but my only atm card is for a thai account, which since I don't have a work permit or a more perminet form of visa I'm technically not supposed to have. It seems potentially risky to show this card to them. Maybe I'm just being paronoid. I do have a credit card from the U.S.

Below is current Bangkok Bank account opening requirements for tourist if it will ease your mind - there is no law you can not have a bank account:

If you are living in Thailand temporarily or you are a tourist, you need to bring your passport and the following required documents:

A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as a Bangkok Bank staff, a respected customer of Bangkok Bank, a respected university teacher, a respected company director or senior executive, prepared as Bangkok Bank's letter of recommendation form, as well as the person's a certified true copy of identification document e.g. ID card or government official ID card (Download Form 674 KB); or

A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization (Download Form 177 KB); or

A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

(Download Form 958 KB); or

Your driving license containing your photo

If the required document does not specify your contact address, you will need to submit additional documents containing your name and contact address as follows:

A bank statement; or

A residential lease agreement; or

A facilities bill; or

A certificate of property ownership (e.g. certificate of condominium unit ownership)

I've done the Vientiane trip a couple of times and since moving to Bangkok used Sawadee Travel run by a guy named Claudio (0818154803). Their vans leave from the On Nut Tesco carpark. The cost is Bt2,500 which includes some meals and accommodation and they collect the passports and bring them to you.

All-in-all a highly recommended service. Their costs are only a little more than doing the trip by yourself and without any of the hassles.

The over-time/weekend surcharge at the Lao border is $US1.

Have a good trip.