Taxi Overcharging: A Thing Of The Past?

It would be more sensible for these taxi drivers to wear a black and white striped top and a lone ranger mask, because theyre out and out robbers who have no intention of reducing their extortionate fares...The airport fare from USM to my home (2km) 400bt if i am alone...i refuse to pay it and walk out of the airport and hail a freelance taxi...theyre all waiting outside the gate, and the fee is a more realistic 250 baht

Just a tip for anybody who like me is fed up with these con men

Even 250 baht sounds high.

Mafia mafia mafia.

What a load of cr4p.

The sooner people on this island stop using that term & start referring to them properly... As a few petty criminals, the better.

You'll stop scaring yourselves & whoever reads your posts & listens to your bar chat.

The term "mafia" is used & spread by Thais to incite fear & the more you use it, the better it works. If you want to beat them then stop letting them play you.

It would be more sensible for these taxi drivers to wear a black and white striped top and a lone ranger mask, because theyre out and out robbers who have no intention of reducing their extortionate fares...The airport fare from USM to my home (2km) 400bt if i am alone...i refuse to pay it and walk out of the airport and hail a freelance taxi...theyre all waiting outside the gate, and the fee is a more realistic 250 baht

Just a tip for anybody who like me is fed up with these con men

I feel your pain (400 B is just disgusting), but we still shouldn't heap too much praise on the regular taxi driver for extorting 250 B for a 2 km ride.

Even if they would agree on a 90 B surcharge and then meter, the day the tourists start to return the taxis would charge the old (or even higher) prices again.

Maybe a prolongued period of pain, 6-12 months of minimal earnings, could lead to change in behaviour. I for one hope they will suffer excruciating pain (financially and otherwise) in the economic crisis, so the fear of losing business again will make them humble, modest and docile forever :D . Everyone his own dreams :) .

THE days of abusive taxi drivers charging exorbitant fees are over, the Tourism Authority of Thailand said.

Phanu Woramit, head of the TAT in the southern region, said that taxi drivers have agreed to use their meters when hired either by residents or tourists. Passengers, however, will have to shell out an additional Bt90 on top of the fare.

Please read article here.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/headline/450-...f-the-past.html"]Taxi[/url]

90 bt sure charge? most of my fares are less than 100 so it's still double.Why don't they just recalibrate the meter..............Always cheating,it's in their dna :)

Maybe a prolongued period of pain, 6-12 months of minimal earnings, could lead to change in behaviour. I for one hope they will suffer excruciating pain (financially and otherwise) in the economic crisis, so the fear of losing business again will make them humble, modest and docile forever :D . Everyone his own dreams :) .

From what I've gathered, the local mentality is to raise prices even further to make up for lost income such as due to less tourists. In other words, if the economic downturns continue, look for that 2km ride from the airport to increase to 500 or 600 baht.

Mafia mafia mafia.

What a load of cr4p.

The sooner people on this island stop using that term & start referring to them properly... As a few petty criminals, the better.

You'll stop scaring yourselves & whoever reads your posts & listens to your bar chat.

The term "mafia" is used & spread by Thais to incite fear & the more you use it, the better it works. If you want to beat them then stop letting them play you.

Best post i have read for a while....

Spot on

My wife (Thai) and I plan to spend 4-5 days on Samui this summer. We won't have a clue of what a fair fare is on the island.

Should we rent a car?? Any suggestions of rental car companies?

dvd

This is a discussion about Samui taxis. Many threads on the Samui forum about car rental,just have a browse through.

Thanks.

From what I've gathered, the local mentality is to raise prices even further to make up for lost income such as due to less tourists. In other words, if the economic downturns continue, look for that 2km ride from the airport to increase to 500 or 600 baht.

I wonder why I keep on having these visions of a stressed taxi passenger running amok at the airport taxi stand with an AK47. :):D

My best friend and I arrive in Samui for the first time, november last year. Get out of the airport. After hearing how much taxis cost, we decided to walk with our suitcases, all the way to the north of the island. Simply because we knew it was wayyy overpriced. after about 20 minutes walking in heavy rain (a few days before the fmp in november), we both got on the back of a passing motorbike with all our suitcases. We head towards our desination, in heavy rain, and nearly died on the way there, but paid a very small fare to the driver - not even a real motorbike taxi driver. If I had the choice again, I would do the same thing. I don't wanna be a sucker, when I know what the prices for taxis are everywhere else. They are even more than in Phuket!

My best friend and I arrive in Samui for the first time, november last year. Get out of the airport. After hearing how much taxis cost, we decided to walk with our suitcases, all the way to the north of the island. Simply because we knew it was wayyy overpriced. after about 20 minutes walking in heavy rain (a few days before the fmp in november), we both got on the back of a passing motorbike with all our suitcases. We head towards our desination, in heavy rain, and nearly died on the way there, but paid a very small fare to the driver - not even a real motorbike taxi driver. If I had the choice again, I would do the same thing. I don't wanna be a sucker, when I know what the prices for taxis are everywhere else. They are even more than in Phuket!

There's a van service from the airport that shuttles passengers to the areas where most people would be staying. It's pretty convenient. I think that it costs 100 baht per person. Granted, not as cheap as walking, but unless you're on a really tight budget I think that it's worth it.

There is a Mini Bus service from the airport priced quite reasonable. Or there used to be. :)

Still there, it is "owned" by BKK Air....

Cost went a bit up but still resonable, 200 to Lami, 150 to Chaweng.

They are there untile the last plane, 22:00.

BUT, there is nothing to go back at the airport.

No indipendent minivan service as it used to be.

I used one for 2 years, the last time when they arrived at the hotel, the hotel was puzzled (they were using the same minivan, twice the cost)....

This year they just work for hotel, 500 baht.

In Samui the argument has always been that the petrol prices here are much higher than elsewhere , which is true ...

"Much higher"? Slightly higher, perhaps.

The new rates will start at 35 baht for the first kilometre, not two kilometres as before.

The fares will then be five baht a kilometre for the 2nd-12th kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th-20th kilometres, six baht a kilometre for the 20th-40th kilometres, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th-60th kilometres, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th-80th kilometres and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-03

I am not sure but I seem to have heard that the ring road here in Samui is about 65km around. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's 50km.

If I did the math right, that fare, going completely around the island, should be 324 baht, if you expect to pay Bangkok rates.

If a "Samui bargain fare" of 250 baht for a 2km ride were to be extended to an around the island trip, that would be a staggering 6,250 baht.

Me thinks that "much higher" petrol prices are a red herring.

So actually, with this new 90 surcharge, the fare could reasonably be expected to run to 414 baht. But the reality of the situation is that you MIGHT be able to finagle this fare from Lamai to the airport.

Having said that, last year when I was in Noboribetsu, Hokkaido's famous hot springs area, the taxi fare was absolutely shockingly high, compared to Sapporo. So taxi price gouging isn't just a Thai phenomenon. If you are in a key tourist location with limited options, you have to expect to get soaked.

As for nicholasmerwood, who walked in the rain, then apparently hitched a ride all with his suitcase, I can only ask: Would you take out your own appendix if the hospital costs were "wayyy overpriced"? For the price of a couple of beers in a nice, dry pub you could have been in the pub drinking those beers instead of making some point to yourself ("Watch me cut off my nose to spite my face").

THE days of abusive taxi drivers charging exorbitant fees are over, the Tourism Authority of Thailand said.

Phanu Woramit, head of the TAT in the southern region, said that taxi drivers have agreed to use their meters when hired either by residents or tourists. Passengers, however, will have to shell out an additional Bt90 on top of the fare.

Please read article here.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/headline/450-...f-the-past.html"]Taxi[/url]

:):D:D:D:D FUNNY anymore jokes?

In Samui the argument has always been that the petrol prices here are much higher than elsewhere , which is true ...

"Much higher"? Slightly higher, perhaps.

The new rates will start at 35 baht for the first kilometre, not two kilometres as before.

The fares will then be five baht a kilometre for the 2nd-12th kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th-20th kilometres, six baht a kilometre for the 20th-40th kilometres, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th-60th kilometres, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th-80th kilometres and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-03

I am not sure but I seem to have heard that the ring road here in Samui is about 65km around. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's 50km.

If I did the math right, that fare, going completely around the island, should be 324 baht, if you expect to pay Bangkok rates.

If a "Samui bargain fare" of 250 baht for a 2km ride were to be extended to an around the island trip, that would be a staggering 6,250 baht.

Me thinks that "much higher" petrol prices are a red herring.

So actually, with this new 90 surcharge, the fare could reasonably be expected to run to 414 baht. But the reality of the situation is that you MIGHT be able to finagle this fare from Lamai to the airport.

Having said that, last year when I was in Noboribetsu, Hokkaido's famous hot springs area, the taxi fare was absolutely shockingly high, compared to Sapporo. So taxi price gouging isn't just a Thai phenomenon. If you are in a key tourist location with limited options, you have to expect to get soaked.

As for nicholasmerwood, who walked in the rain, then apparently hitched a ride all with his suitcase, I can only ask: Would you take out your own appendix if the hospital costs were "wayyy overpriced"? For the price of a couple of beers in a nice, dry pub you could have been in the pub drinking those beers instead of making some point to yourself ("Watch me cut off my nose to spite my face").

I think the point is to find a solution - Everyone knows they are overcharging , they always drive in a most annoying way and they take up every parking space going -

How do you get them to abide by rules that they will accept and are fare to Tourists ?

taxi prices will not change for a simple rule: it is impossible to implement the new law if you cannot check and control that it is not violated.

so unless there will be police checks every km in samui we will have:

-taxi not using the meters

-drunk driving

-driving without a license

-scooters drivers without helmets

-8 year old driving scooters

-etc.. etc..

so lets not dream about changes that will never happen!

yes the police here are completely useless at doing anything legal,bunch of tossers ,just like the mafia here,greedy small minded monkeys-oops i didnt say that,things will never change here ,they are too stupid to see the other side of the coin.

a major road safety campaign would involve stopping and ticketing all those who are not abiding to the law, in 99% of the cases it would be thai local people and local construction companies trucks.

i dont think the mayor is willing to piss off all those who elected him, and for sure ticketing locals would not help him get reelected.

I am not sure who came up with the figure of 90 baht. What new math was used to make this the magic "make-up" amount?

As usual, everything comes down to money. What would stop a foreigner, instead of pissing his money away on a bar or massage parlor, starting a taxi company? Even if a local had to partner up and the foreigner was the silent partner, what would happen if suddenly there were 20 taxis around the island that had drivers who were polite, well dressed, could speak a smidgen of English and charged by the meter (Bangkok fares plus 90 baht)? Make a big promotion deal out of it; get serious media attention. Taxis would be a different color (I know someone who, if possible, will only take taxis in Bangkok that are bright pink...).

I know that some are thinking that the thugs in the taxi business would retaliate with violence, but I think that threat is exaggerated and worth the small risk.

You'd have to have some competent advance planning -- getting as many hotels and resorts behind you in terms of exclusive recommendations as possible (this would be easy, I think), as well as a few "classes" for the drivers instructing them in what is expected of them.

I think if the drivers "got it," they would have a sense of pride in their work and that would translate to better service and happier drivers and customers.

Of course, the government (local or central) could sponsor this as well, if foreigners are barred from this sort of activity.

I am not sure who came up with the figure of 90 baht. What new math was used to make this the magic "make-up" amount?

As usual, everything comes down to money. What would stop a foreigner, instead of pissing his money away on a bar or massage parlor, starting a taxi company? Even if a local had to partner up and the foreigner was the silent partner, what would happen if suddenly there were 20 taxis around the island that had drivers who were polite, well dressed, could speak a smidgen of English and charged by the meter (Bangkok fares plus 90 baht)? Make a big promotion deal out of it; get serious media attention. Taxis would be a different color (I know someone who, if possible, will only take taxis in Bangkok that are bright pink...).

I know that some are thinking that the thugs in the taxi business would retaliate with violence, but I think that threat is exaggerated and worth the small risk.

You'd have to have some competent advance planning -- getting as many hotels and resorts behind you in terms of exclusive recommendations as possible (this would be easy, I think), as well as a few "classes" for the drivers instructing them in what is expected of them.

I think if the drivers "got it," they would have a sense of pride in their work and that would translate to better service and happier drivers and customers.

Of course, the government (local or central) could sponsor this as well, if foreigners are barred from this sort of activity.

and then the first rays of sunlight hit your face and you stirred and awoke from this wonderful dream..

Sad but true, if only..

Nirvana

I took a taxi last night because it was close to 01:00, raining and in Bangrak there aren't many options. From the 7-11 on the corner of Ghost Road/Bangrak beach road to around the Bophut stoplight on the Ring Road he wanted 300. I said 100, and then said 200. We had the standard short discussion about how much more expensive Samui is compare to BKK. I then asked about the meter and he said if I did that it would be 90 baht surcharge and the meter starts at 50. I was curious so I told him I'd pay him 200 but I wanted him to run the meter as well. I wouldn't agree to pay by the meter in advance because I didn't know how he had it calibrated. Anyway, the final meter reading was 68 baht for a total of 158 baht. So he ended up with a 42 baht "tip".

So the fare should have been 68 baht minus 15 baht (50 flagfall vs 35) and you have 53 baht.

So he actually wanted to charge you six times that real figure.

Good thing that doesn't happen everywhere.

M: How much for eggs?

Lamai Market stall owner: 120 baht for five eggs.

M: Wow! How much is the celery?

Lamai Market stall owner: (Laughs robustly) You can't afford that! Don't even ask.

No it never worked as 1 They never put the meter on so could never add 90 baht and 2 they all wanted to charge 90 baht extra for each customer. I have had people charged 600 baht to go from the airport to the Seatran ferry maybe a km or 2 at the most!

I think the 'Port for Seatran Ferry' was in Nathon? (spelling). Has it moved now? :D

Pigs might fly.

Then you have not caught the Flu 'sevenhills' :D

O.K. me question is :-

I use 'Shell, V-Power Diesel' for me pick-up. In Bangers and Mash (BKK) it is now at 25.08 per litre.....

What is the price in Koh Samui for the same fuel? :)

Yours turly

Kan Win

• 2 weeks later...
No it never worked as 1 They never put the meter on so could never add 90 baht and 2 they all wanted to charge 90 baht extra for each customer. I have had people charged 600 baht to go from the airport to the Seatran ferry maybe a km or 2 at the most!

I think the 'Port for Seatran Ferry' was in Nathon? (spelling). Has it moved now? :)

The pier for the SeaTrans car ferry is in Nathon, the pier for the SeaTrans Express boat is on the beach road just outside the road to the airport at Big Buddha.