• Black Swan
    • Penalty Spot
    • Toxic
    • Bulls Head
    • Slim (RCA)
    • Molly Malones
    • The Rock Club

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd suggest some important elements for our ultimate destination...wherever that may be...

1. convenient/accessible location

2. good options/specials for food and drink (or drink and food :) )

3. decibel level that allows for conversation

4. smoke free or at least separate area for smoking

Sounds like you want to go sit outside at the night bazaar.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, I've had many a pleasant night out at Suan Lum, if there's where you mean.... But not exactly the setting we're probably looking for...

I mentioned Molly Malone's and Coyote in Silom earlier, but not much followup on that. Anyone want to nominate some place(s) more in keeping with the above goals.

I'd suggest some important elements for our ultimate destination...wherever that may be...

#'s 3 and 4 are important to me.

sounds like more of a restaurant then?

Your logic escapes me as I didn't write that #2 is important to me, but then again, your logic often escapes me.

And as for me, my purpose in going is to meet others whom I only know from their posts, so sure, a restaurant would work for me.  I quite frankly don't care where it is if we can actually hold conversations, and having it smoke-free increases the comfort level of those of us who don't smoke.  So pub, restaurant, piano lounge, whatever--makes no difference to me.

Your logic escapes me as I didn't write that #2 is important to me, but then again, your logic often escapes me.

And as for me, my purpose in going is to meet others whom I only know from their posts, so sure, a restaurant would work for me.  I quite frankly don't care where it is if we can actually hold conversations, and having it smoke-free increases the comfort level of those of us who don't smoke.  So pub, restaurant, piano lounge, whatever--makes no difference to me.

Well mate, I don't know how it works in the good old USA, but over here if you go to a fuc_king lounge or nightclub where music is playing, you won't qualify for #3.

To be honest with you, I am getting ready to chuck this whole thing in. Got teenagers who want RCA, people who want smoking / non smoking, some want drink specials and others want conversation.

I tell you what - you and JFC organise it. I am off the job as of this post.

James, it was your idea for the get together, so just name a place that you want to go to...fàck everyone else, they will either be there or not... :) It doesnt really matter where we meet, so long as we get drunk and have a good time!

Well mate, I don't know how it works in the good old USA, but over here if you go to a fuc_king lounge or nightclub where music is playing, you won't qualify for #3.

To be honest with you, I am getting ready to chuck this whole thing in. Got teenagers who want RCA, people who want smoking / non smoking, some want drink specials and others want conversation.

Typical bkkjames post.  :)

Well, if anyone is going to make a decision, just post it here.  I don't go out much, so I have few suggestions.  After bkkjames asked for input, I stated my preference for being able to converse, and a smoke-free place would be better than one full of smoke.  But wherever is decided, then so be it. If he didn't want input, then he just should have picked place and been done with it. As I wrote in my post, it makes no difference to me, I plan on being there no matter where it is.

I think I have only been to three places along the Suk strip.  The piano bar at the Landmark is certainly a place to sit and converse, but it probably lacks the excitement that some people want. The Irish place a block from Nana going in towards town has pool tables and music, I think, and that is also a place where people could talk.  Titanium is pretty much impossible to hold a converstation, in my opinion.

Edited by bonobo

You have to learn you can never please them all.. that is why i would never try to setup something like that.

James, I really don't blame you for getting tired of this BS. You have tried to organise a sociAL evening, and it is getting more and more confusing as other people give further requiremnts. We just normally organise it, and if you don't like it FO. If they have better ideas, and time to organise food etc, then let them get on with it.

James, getting a bit grumpy today, are we??? Get up on the wrong side of the bar???

As a preface here, I make no claim to be an organizer. Just a grateful would-be participant. I'm not criticizing any one else's choices or suggestions, or trying to dictate anything. Comment/suggestions was sought, and I replied. I also made several suggestions of places that seem reasonable and appropriate.

As to the restaurant vs. bar question, you may recall, our last outing seemed to fit the bill quite nicely, and the Huntsman was a pretty good example of a place where you could have a conversation (earlier more than later) and was good in terms of both food and drink. So whether it was deemed a bar or restaurant, it was nice. I'd venture it's not the only such place to be found in BKK, of course.

My only personal comment is... if it's a smoking place such as the Crossbar, I personally would take a pass. That's my choice. Everyone else is free to make their own choices.

Edited by jfchandler

James, I really don't blame you for getting tired of this BS. You have tried to organise a sociAL evening, and it is getting more and more confusing as other people give further requiremnts. We just normally organise it, and if you don't like it FO. If they have better ideas, and time to organise food etc, then let them get on with it.

What requirements?  He asked for preferences and input and got them.  I don't think people who recommended RCA or those who recommended the Crossbar made that as a requirement for them to come.

If you ask for input, you are going to get it, so don't get sarcastic and nasty when it does come in--and if it comes in, as can be expected, all over the spectrum.  If you don't want input, then just promulgate when and where and let it go at that.

I can certainly live with that.

What requirements?  He asked for preferences and input and got them.  I don't think people who recommended RCA or those who recommended the Crossbar made that as a requirement for them to come.

If you ask for input, you are going to get it, so don't get sarcastic and nasty when it does come in--and if it comes in, as can be expected, all over the spectrum.  If you don't want input, then just promulgate when and where and let it go at that.

I can certainly live with that.

There certainly wasn't any sarcasm or nastiness in my post, more directness. We could sit here all day discussing where or where not to go. It shouldn't be too difficult. Personally, I couldn't care less. James had offered to arrange it, and a number of people had expressed some venues, which is great. We could spend the next two weeks talking about all the different places and get nothing sorted.

Unless I am wrong, the majority vote for any single venue has been the crossbar. To make it fair if any other venue was decided then that should be the location, but until that happens then the crossbar remains the venue of choice.

Although a smoking bar the crossbar is not nearly as smokey as portrayed, and I am a non (ex) smoker. I hope that the piss-up isn't this serious, if it goes ahead.

Edited by Moonrakers

There certainly wasn't any sarcasm or nastiness in my post, more directness. We could sit here all day discussing where or where not to go. It shouldn't be too difficult. Personally, I couldn't care less. James had offered to arrange it, and a number of people had expressed some venues, which is great. We could spend the next two weeks talking about all the different places and get nothing sorted.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were being sarcastic or nasty.  I do think someone else was, but since I had your post quoted, I can see why you thought that I meant you.

Mea culpa in poor writing on my part there.

Back to the thread, I was under the impression that a decision was to be made last Friday or next Friday, and then that would be that.  I may have read it wrong, though.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were being sarcastic or nasty.  I do think someone else was, but since I had your post quoted, I can see why you thought that I meant you.

Mea culpa in poor writing on my part there.

Back to the thread, I was under the impression that a decision was to be made last Friday or next Friday, and then that would be that.  I may have read it wrong, though.

No worries, I think the sooner we choose a starting venue the better. Anyway, I have spoken with Brian at The Crossbar who is/was happy to put on a spread of food.

It certainly isn't such a smokey place as been portrayed, and would certainly meet the requirements of being able to offer a place that conversation would be no problem.

No worries, I think the sooner we choose a starting venue the better. Anyway, I have spoken with Brian at The Crossbar who is/was happy to put on a spread of food.

It certainly isn't such a smokey place as been portrayed, and would certainly meet the requirements of being able to offer a place that conversation would be no problem.

I voted for the Crossbar based on someone's post that conversation is possible there, and if the owner puts out a spread of food, all the better.

I really don't like smokey places, but with due respect for jfchandler and his position on coming or not coming, I can put up with it if I have to.  (I can certainly understand someone choosing not to come because of that, though, and if there were two good, acceptable options with one being smoke-free, I would choose the smoke-free one.)

James and others, Friday 12th at Crossbar..... smoke or no smoke...... this time I will turn up James (or at least send my apologies if I am unable to attend). Thank you for making the effort to get this off the ground.

Please, do not give up!

Especially that I am sobering now during daylight...

So, if the "function" is not starting too late, we could even manage to finish the conversation that we started at "Landmark"...

... but what was the topic, we talked about, again?

Checked it out last night following my usual first night wander...Soi 8 BB.Gullies,the 2 Irish Pubs at nana...(shushh) Therme..,QVs,Offshore...anf finally mama s place .. :D and although there was no obvious smokers in the joint..only 2 customers there was a definate "whiff"

Reminded me of the sort of railway pub you fall into while changing trains on a cold miserable night in Wigan,Doncaster or Crew......cir-ca 1972....however the big supprise " ere was the prices....at 100 Bt for a half pint of beer sot..and not the best......jesu you gotta be a British member of Parliament on an expenses fuelled joli to afford the stuff nowadays... :)

I think Bully's Pub on Suk Rd. near Soi 4, for example, would be a better and more convivial, and less smoke-filled choice.

But if others have decided on Crossbar, please enjoy, and I'll hope to see you next time.

So Brian's crossbar on June 12th? Im sure all Thaivisa smokers can agree only to smoke outside out of politeness. Ill lead by example on that one if necessary.

The only other people who usually smoke in there are a few japanese, and they never seem to hang around long.

If we had enough confirmed, Brian might even agree to make it no smoking for the night. But the problem is, people confirm and then never turn up.

The Crossbar is a good choice because you can have a decent chat. Good food. Relaxed. Nearby everything else.