Drivers License Needed For Thailand

westbounder

Hi,

I drive a car or a motorcycle everyday in Chiang Mai, and I currently have a Pennsylvania Drivers license that expires in Jan. 2013.

I am living in Chiang Mai for now and I may stay here forever..., but not 100% sure at this point in time.

I do not want to renew my Pennsylvania Drivers liscence in the future.

What do I have to do to get a Thai drivers liscence?

Thank You

Joe

Homey, thousand baht notes can have your picture on them. That's all you need.

I disagree with this response. I have been asked to produce a valid driver's license several times. A more realistic answer to your question is that you are probably O.K. with your USA license for a short period of time (an International License is better), but that you should get a Thailand drivers license if you plan on sticking around for a while. If you do a search in this forum and in the motor vehicle forum, there are numerous posts with literally step-by-step instructions on what you need to do and where to go for your Thailand driver's license. Also if you drive every day you should be insured! You will need a Thailand license to purchase insurance.

Now, if you do get stopped by the police for a traffic infraction, some tea money may help you out but you will still be asked for your drivers license.

hello yes i have an australian licence , doesnt cost much to have a international licence valid for a year and can renew over internet i think for insurance its the right way to go .you should be able to renew you usa licence on internet as well .

so it's not quite legal to ride/drive with a foreign (not intl) license, correct. people do it, some are lucky.

if stopped, may have to pay a small fee. in a reported accident, out of lucky.

it is legal to drive on an international license. but can you buy insurance? buy a vehicle?

i'm guessing an international license permits one to rent vehicles, with insurance carried by the rental agency.

is it possible to get an international license when outside of one's home country? assuming this is

easier to do than going through the process for a thai license.

so it's not quite legal to ride/drive with a foreign (not intl) license, correct. people do it, some are lucky.

if stopped, may have to pay a small fee. in a reported accident, out of lucky.

it is legal to drive on an international license. but can you buy insurance? buy a vehicle?

i'm guessing an international license permits one to rent vehicles, with insurance carried by the rental agency.

is it possible to get an international license when outside of one's home country? assuming this is

easier to do than going through the process for a thai license.

sort of correct

sometimes

yes but register ?

good guess

certainly

hello yes i have an australian licence , doesnt cost much to have a international licence valid for a year and can renew over internet i think for insurance its the right way to go .you should be able to renew you usa licence on internet as well .

You absolutely can not renew your USA drivers license on the Internet! Ever heard of the U.S. Patriot Act?

and...........

it is possible to get an intl driver's license in thailand.....if you have a thai license first.

but then it is not legal to drive in thailand with the intl license issued in thailand.

so, getting an intl license in thailand to avoid some of the hassle is not an option.

only intl licenses issued outside of thailand are valid for use in thailand.

To be completely formal, to be allowed to drive in Thailand you have to have either:

- A Thai driver's license

- A foreign driver's license accompanied by an International Driver's Permit (IDP, which is valid for one year from date of issue). This is however only valid for a visit up to three months. If you leave the country and then re-enter, you start a new three month period.

Please note that the "International Driver Document" advertised on ThaiVisa is a scam and has no legal validity whatsoever. For an American (US) license, the requirements for getting an IDP are here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

To get a Thai license, you would have to do one of the following:

- Go through the full theoretical and practical driver's test (presumably very easy).

- "Convert" your foreign license. The process for this is described in a pinned topic at the top of the motor forum.

So, what happens if you drive without a valid license? Most of the time nothing, sometimes you have to give some "tea money" to a policeman but possibly you'll end up in the deepest sh*t you've ever heard of. If you are involved in a serious accident, say resulting in a death, the insurance company will be fully within their rights to refuse to pay out a single baht, since you're driving illegally. Since you are a farang (and consequently rich) the victims may sue you for everything you have and then some.

/ Priceless

For an American (US) license, the requirements for getting an IDP are here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

for the OP: "Before departure, you can obtain an IDP ..."

get a thai license.

I fully agree. The problem is that, at least when I got my Thai license a few years ago, an IDP was required if you wanted to avoid the whole test razzmatazz.

/ Priceless

Hi,

I drive a car or a motorcycle everyday in Chiang Mai, and I currently have a Pennsylvania Drivers license that expires in Jan. 2013.

I am living in Chiang Mai for now and I may stay here forever..., but not 100% sure at this point in time.

I do not want to renew my Pennsylvania Drivers liscence in the future.

What do I have to do to get a Thai drivers liscence?

Thank You

Joe

you should always renew you US license, easy and you never know

to get the thai license get on the autoclubs website in the US. you can get them to issue and mail and interantional license in a short time from here. with this you dont need the test driving or written. piece of cake. this is how i did it

To be completely formal, to be allowed to drive in Thailand you have to have either:

- A Thai driver's license

- A foreign driver's license accompanied by an International Driver's Permit (IDP, which is valid for one year from date of issue). This is however only valid for a visit up to three months. If you leave the country and then re-enter, you start a new three month period.

Please note that the "International Driver Document" advertised on ThaiVisa is a scam and has no legal validity whatsoever. For an American (US) license, the requirements for getting an IDP are here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1179.html

To get a Thai license, you would have to do one of the following:

- Go through the full theoretical and practical driver's test (presumably very easy).

- "Convert" your foreign license. The process for this is described in a pinned topic at the top of the motor forum.

So, what happens if you drive without a valid license? Most of the time nothing, sometimes you have to give some "tea money" to a policeman but possibly you'll end up in the deepest sh*t you've ever heard of. If you are involved in a serious accident, say resulting in a death, the insurance company will be fully within their rights to refuse to pay out a single baht, since you're driving illegally. Since you are a farang (and consequently rich) the victims may sue you for everything you have and then some.

/ Priceless

Exactly, for insurance wise and to comply with local laws go for thai licence if you are going to stay more than 3 months.

Written test is dead easy if you have licence in any western countries. They give you book in english to study an hour or so or show a video before the test. Dead easy questions and the test is in english. Practical test is not really a test at all, it's done in the parking lot and you need to drive straight 20 meters and reverse back in straight line. Then you need to "park" next to the sidewalk, be close enough and stop on a line. Third test is paraller parking between two "cars" again dead easy as there is plenty of space and you are allowed to pull out, correct and try again like six times max...

For converting your foreign licence you have few options:

1. Convert international licence (legit one from your home country)

2. Convert your foreign licence direct if it is in english (some offices might do this, some not)

3. Convert translation of your foreign licence that is certified by your embassy (did this myself, again some offices might do it some not)

And you need non-immigrant visa by law, although some have managed to get licence with tourist visa in Pattaya...

Edit: forgot to add that regardless how you obtain your licence there is always same eye sight tests, color blindness test, reaction time test, depth perception ? test etc done at the DLT (Department of Land Transportation)

Edited by MJo

IDP application forms:

AAA: http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html?...12&secure=N

NAC: http://www.thenac.com/international_driving_permit.pdf

10. Can I apply for an International Driving Permit from outside the U.S.?

Yes you may. As long as your U.S. driving license is valid for at least 6 months beyond the requested issuance date of the International Driving Permit. U.S. Government and military personnel may apply as long as you have a valid U.S. driver’s license with the corresponding extension documents of your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

You absolutely can not renew your USA drivers license on the Internet! Ever heard of the U.S. Patriot Act?

It was possible to do by mail and have the new license mailed to a US address then forwarded, has that changed under the Patriot Act?

It was possible to do by mail and have the new license mailed to a US address then forwarded, has that changed under the Patriot Act?

this varies by state. i just checked my state's dmv site, and they still allow online renewals. i've sent them an

email asking about sending to addresses other than on the license....cause i'm travelling, right.

i have a residence address there, but no residence as i've sold my house. still a resident, vote by absentee ballot.

maybe they'll send to my parent's address out of state for forwarding.....