Central May Be About To Collapse

Phil Conners

I took a photo for the benefit of those following the thread who had never seen Central or Hotel before and are wondering what all the blokes in the pub are talking about. Interesting to see VT6 next door in comparison!

post-30245-1245905426_thumb.jpg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took a photo for the benefit of those following the thread who had never seen Central or Hotel before and are wondering what all the blokes in the pub are talking about. Interesting to see VT6 next door in comparison!

Looks like even most of the units on the higher floors on the north side will loose their views...the lower floors are depressing looking out into Central's parking garage.

BM LennyW posted the following two images from Centrals carpark in another tread where it unfortunately got buried in a long discussion about other things. I though it was important to give everybody a chance to look at the pictures and judge for themselves.

post-1539-1244262521_thumb.jpgpost-1539-1244262527_thumb.jpg

Several comments were made: Some people report they have felt the building "shuddering", others, presumably with engineering experience suggest that adding these metal things to the carrying concrete pillars risk damaging the structural integrity of the pillars.

I don't know but I think it is very worrying to think about what may happen if just one such pillar gives in for the weight on top - 6 floors of mall + another 8 or so of a hotel on top of it.... :)

Looks like some body 'forgot' the rebar :D

yeah. Do those bolts/ stud go right through the column?

How did they miss the rebar if they do go right through.

Any drilling of the columns affects the stuctural integrity ...to what degree though?

work surely must have been carried out under strict control / procedures!

come on all you sructural engineers out there...clear this one up...preferably by 6pm i want to go t pan pan italian place for tea today.

Looks like even most of the units on the higher floors on the north side will loose their views...the lower floors are depressing looking out into Central's parking garage.

No idea what price the VT units were, but with that view too much!

Not to worry, when it drops will probably take the lower floors of VT with it! :)

I'm pleased to report that I spent another pleasant afternoon in Central. Never heard any shudders and didn't observe any cracks. Perhaps it will make it intact until Christmas afterall.

I'm pleased to report that I spent another pleasant afternoon in Central. Never heard any shudders and didn't observe any cracks. Perhaps it will make it intact until Christmas afterall.

no go go bars in there yet then :)

Made a foray into the mall earlier today ,the wife and i made it out ok without incedent.

do i get a medal?

We'll have to set a minimum level for medals of bravery. How about a basic medal for spending at least 5 hours a week in there and a more prestigious medal for over 10 hours a week?

Any drilling of the columns affects the stuctural integrity ...to what degree though?

I would think ANY degree is bad.

work surely must have been carried out under strict control / procedures!

These people HAMMER in SCREWS, so all bets are off when it comes to strict control of anything. :)

Considering that all the beam and column connections would be covered by the shopfitting of the tenants then any cracks would be hidden, like the ones in the car park now are.

Considering that all the beam and column connections would be covered by the shopfitting of the tenants then any cracks would be hidden, like the ones in the car park now are.

There are a lot of beams and floors which can be inspected far away from any shopfittings, but I was joking because the whole imminent collapse theory is a joke.

(I thought it was against forum rules to highlight or change a quote?)

Made a foray into the mall earlier today ,the wife and i made it out ok without incedent.

do i get a medal?

We'll have to set a minimum level for medals of bravery. How about a basic medal for spending at least 5 hours a week in there and a more prestigious medal for over 10 hours a week?

we are taking our boy to see Transformers later today ,so the wife and i have almost hit the 5 hours this week ,should we go for the 10 hour medal? is it nicer? and where can we get a card to log hours spent there? oh good the wife has just brought our new tin helmets for the expadition. :)

do i get a medal?

we are taking our boy to see Transformers later today ,so the wife and i have almost hit the 5 hours this week ,should we go for the 10 hour medal? is it nicer? and where can we get a card to log hours spent there? oh good the wife has just brought our new tin helmets for the expadition. :)

As long as the Hilton remains intact, at least you can ride down the collapse from the Cinema complex.

Doesn't ANYONE on this forum remember the hotel collapse in Korat, where hundreds of people were killed when the top floors collapsed, one on top of the other, all the way to the ground.?

And has everyone forgotten the hotel in Jomtien just a few years agp that caught fire, and hundreds suffocated, or had to rescued by helicopter from the roof because the EXIT doors were chained and padlocked because the owner/operator ? was afraid customers wuld sneak out the exit doors without paying their bill.?

And I'm thrilled to death to hear that the exit doors at Central open INWARD, instead of OUTWARD, as required all over the world, in a public building.

I'm also curious as to what they used as anchors for the bolts that hold up the brackets, that support the floors.

""SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE" will be their slogan. :)

do i get a medal?

As long as the Hilton remains intact, at least you can ride down the collapse from the Cinema complex.

dam_n ive just been informed that we have to go shopping in the basement,if the bloody thing collapses it will be murder getting out of the inward opening doors. still more points towards my medal.

i hear its to be called "The central star" :D

post-70418-1246161982_thumb.jpgpost-70418-1246162029_thumb.jpg[att

achment=87084:China3_1432363i.jpg]post-70418-1246162113_thumb.jpg

A 13 storey building under construction in Shanghai collapsed yesterday. Probably didn't use enough steel brackets. Fortunately this sort of thing could never happen here in Thailand so there's nothing to worry about.

Anyone fancy a coffee down the mall now?

post-70418-1246162067_thumb.jpg

A 13 storey building under construction in Shanghai collapsed yesterday. Probably didn't use enough steel brackets. Fortunately this sort of thing could never happen here in Thailand so there's nothing to worry about.

Anyone fancy a coffee down the mall now?

I'll be heading there for lunch shortly.

Saw that story and pic in today's Post...pretty fhuking amazing. The really scary think is that it's part of an apartment complex with what look like another 2-3 identical almost completed buildings ready to fall over!

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Being a competative type of person that I am and knowing that a few thai visa members have already taken the amazing and dangerous challenge of entering the central shopping complex on beach road I decided it was my turn to step up.

After taking into consideration all the risks associated with the building and that the chances of survival were not good according to many experts today with my hard hat in hand , survival pack and GPS I entered the building.

After being as cautious as possible I made it to swensons ice cream shop where I was rewarded with the special of the day the chocalate tremor.

The adrenillan rush that I had was unbelievable getting as far as this shop.

The last time I felt better than that was when I spent the night with Angelina Jolie

Anyway after finishing my Chocalate Tremor I made my way back through the building knowing that at any minute it may collapse and out the front door.

I am happy to anounce that I survived Central.

Edited by saintofsilence

^ Due to the unprecedented demand, I have doubled my order of "I survived Central" T- shirts, so if anybody wants the other one, let me know, sealed bids only, they will be opened only after the imminent collapse! :)

Being a competative type of person that I am and knowing that a few thai visa members have already taken the amazing and dangerous challenge of entering the central shopping complex on beach road I decided it was my turn to step up.

After taking into consideration all the risks associated with the building and that the chances of survival were not good according to many experts today with my hard hat in hand , survival pack and GPS I entered the building.

After being as cautious as possible I made it to swensons ice cream shop where I was rewarded with the special of the day the chocalate tremor.

The last time I felt better than that was when I spent the night with Angelina Jolie

Anyway after finishing my Chocalate Tremor I made my way back through the building knowing that at any minute it may collapse and out the front door.

you may be laughing and thinking it's funny to post things like this but, it's not. you know i can't eat ice cream. you should be banned for life and ostracized to the only fitting place for you... the ground floor parking of Centan Fetibal.

Well done!

Now how about taking it to the next step?

A full dinner followed by some shopping or the movies. If you have a car or motorbike, be sure to park it in the basement so you can check out the added column/floor supports.

This should fire up the adrenaline and take your experience to a whole new level.

I was in Central the other day and felt it shake on one of the cross parts. There were two rather large Westerners and the shake was due to the way they were walking. Seriously. This isn't a "HAR HAR FAT WHITE WHALE-PEOPLE!" story.

Well done!

Now how about taking it to the next step?

A full dinner followed by some shopping or the movies. If you have a car or motorbike, be sure to park it in the basement so you can check out the added column/floor supports.

This should fire up the adrenaline and take your experience to a whole new level.

Yes i will take the next step but not until I undergo some intense training programme a trip to the basement takes this challange to a whole new level

Interesting to see that another structure "pancaked" yesterday. A multi-story garage in the American state of Georgia collapsed onto itself. No one was injured but many parked cars didn't survive. http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atl...se_parking.html

Pic here: http://jalopnik.com/5304547/atlanta-parkin...allery/gallery/

Edited by MeetJohnDoe