Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

etc

Kwasaki, you may know this.

My 10!! year bike and car licenses expire next year. Will I get again 10 years or do have to settle for the same meager 5 years everybody is getting these days?

To be honest ' stevenl ' you got yours before my time, I don't know, until you pop along to your local DLT, my guess is they have done away with it.

As you know every province is different but in my experiance in Sukhothai DLT, on renewing my 2nd 5 year driving licenses's not licences's biggrin.png I was given a Thai I.D. number on my licences's instead of the passport number which has earned many a browney point, as it is assumed as a Thai I.D. card as well for many uses e.g. free Thai gov hospital treatment and as usual the Thai price for getting into tourist area places etc.

They also i Suk DLT do a proper 5 year licence here from birthday date to birthday date no extension if done after birthday like some other DLT's may well still do.

Edited by Kwasaki

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 10!! year bike and car licenses expire next year. Will I get again 10 years or do have to settle for the same meager 5 years everybody is getting these days?

To be honest ' stevenl ' you got yours before my time, I don't know, until you pop along to your local DLT, my guess is they have done away with it. <snip>

Yes, that what I was afraid you were going to answer. I'll have to pay them a visit and see.

I would like somebody elses experiences, even from other DLT's, with hopefully a renewed 10 year license (licence), just to have an argument in favour of another 10 years. Problem is I don't know anybody with a 10 year license.

To be honest ' stevenl ' you got yours before my time, I don't know, until you pop along to your local DLT, my guess is they have done away with it. <snip>

Yes, that what I was afraid you were going to answer. I'll have to pay them a visit and see.

I would like somebody elses experiences, even from other DLT's, with hopefully a renewed 10 year license (licence), just to have an argument in favour of another 10 years. Problem is I don't know anybody with a 10 year license.

I think you are like a rare old bird.laugh.png

My 1 year driving licence has expired a few years ago. Now I am back in thailand and I have a non-immigration visa (1 year , multiple entry), can I renew my driving licence or do I need to re-take the test ?

Thanks for your help

My 1 year driving licence has expired a few years ago.

How many is a few ??

If its less than 3 I believe you'll only have to do the color,reaction and peripheral vision tests maybe watch the video for a while

need to take a residence certificate and medical certificate.

as you have a Non-O visa they should give you a 5 year licence.

Havent gone through the whole 50 pages of this so forgive me if this has been covered.

My NZ license expires soon and I cant renew it without going back to NZ so an looking at getting a Thai license, even though I don't drive here if I go to another country and want to hire a car or bike I can get a IDP.

Tomorrow we will go to the local office and see what they have to say.

What I was wondering, will the immigration office (Lop buri) want to send someone to check where I live (singburi) ?

They already have my address on record from visa renewals and have never checked before.

Seems a bit strange asking for an immigration or embassy letter for they can only write on that document what I tell them, still suppose it is the official stamp they want.

Will report back.

Yes you may very well be in luck and only have to do the color etc tests.

As you are renewing a 5 year you won't ( well shouldn't ) need a medical certificate either but maybe best to take one anyway.

As every province/departments seems to have varying requirements the only way to know for sure is to go to your local department of land transport and try.

Havent gone through the whole 50 pages of this so forgive me if this has been covered.

My NZ license expires soon and I cant renew it without going back to NZ so an looking at getting a Thai license, even though I don't drive here if I go to another country and want to hire a car or bike I can get a IDP.

Tomorrow we will go to the local office and see what they have to say.

What I was wondering, will the immigration office (Lop buri) want to send someone to check where I live (singburi) ?

They already have my address on record from visa renewals and have never checked before.

Seems a bit strange asking for an immigration or embassy letter for they can only write on that document what I tell them, still suppose it is the official stamp they want.

Will report back.

It varies from office to office, but normally they just copy the information from the 90 days reports, and don't check anything. If no 90 days yet they might want to see rental contract, electricity bill, or something like that.

Housevisits? Naw.

Just picked up my first 5 year licence after 1 year provisional, this was process:

DLT Requirements

1 Address confirmation - ONLY Immigration or Embassy letter - did not ask about WP/Yellow book, other DLTs in Uthai Thani/Nakhan Sawan confirmed same

2 Dr's certificate

3 passport copies (main page, visa, entry)

- Nakhan Sawan Immigration would NOT issue cert of residence

- Embassy letter was 3,080 Bt

DLT process

Day 1 - asked to bring 5 copies of marriage cert next day

Day 2 - form signed & asked to come back next day for photos (altho I already had a digitised licence)

Day 3 am - took photos and paid 655bt

Licence - 505bt

'Other' - 50bt

Photo - 100bt

Day 3 pm - I have to go back as they've printed the incorrect address and ask about Other & why my photo was not already on DLT system

TIP - if your birthday is coming up go just after for extra year (5 years + next birthday), I got 5 yrs 10m as my birthday was end of March, the only bonus in this whole process.

I haven't read the whole 50 pages, but from what I've skimmed so far, my case may be different to a few, especially the cost, but also regarding International Licence. Also Robbie NZ, I read on the THai DLT site that to get a Thai international licence as a farang, you need to have had your Thai licence for 5 years.

Today I got both car and motorcycle licences from Songkhla.

Bit of a mission because they told me over the phone that I had to go to their office, get a letter from them, take their letter to Immigration who will confirm in a letter where I live, take that letter back to DLT. Mission because theres about 25 kms between DLT in Songkhla and Immigration in Hat Yai. Never mind, I did the double trip. Immigration charged me nothing and also recorded my address as I had never reported to them (This is another story.....when I arrived on 23rd April on 1 year non-imm O, they stamped my departure card (at the airport) with "Next report 22nd July" so I had no idea I had to go to immigration....a very small criticism of my tardiness, but then they did all the paperwork necessary and all is good on that front)....so, 2nd time in the day I'm in DLT...photocopies of passport, visa, NZ drivers licence (car, motorcycle and a few other irrelevant classes), doctors cert (for which he took blood pressure, weight and height, and nothing more) and letter from Immigration. No International Licence. Took a number, when it was called, paid 80 baht for each licence (car and motocycle), went to the next booth where my photo was taken, paid 100 baht fro each licence as they came off the machine...job done, total cost for the 2 licences was 360 baht plus 20 baht for the doctors cert and less than 10 baht for all the photocopies (@50 satang each), so all up under 400 baht for 2 licences...and a day's running around.

edit...forgot to add...I had to do a colour test, depth perception test and a reaction test. Reaction test was put my foot to an "accelerator"...a green light comes on and stays on then suddenly a red light comes on and I have to break. No biggy.

Edited by Seastallion

• 3 weeks later...

Got 5-year after 1 year provisional at Korat DLT today. Unbelievably fast. In at 10:30 AM, out at 10:56 AM with new license in hand.

1 Original and 1 copy of Letter of Residency from Immigration.

1 Original and 1 copy of Doctor's Fitness Letter.

3 copies of:

-Passport photo page

-Each page with an annual extension stamp

-TM7 entry card

* They kept looking at my Re-entry permit stamp and decided they wanted a copy of that too. Not sure why.

- Color, reaction, peripheral vision tests.

- 605 Baht.

They ended up returning most of the copies to me at the end.

Edit: add Dr. Ltr.

Edited by 55Jay

They'll be a bit risky if you have an accident. The insurer will check with the purported issuer. You could, with a valid non-immigrant visa, do the Thai tests. They are not rocket science.

How does this work? I need a Thai driver's license. I don't have a driver's license in any country. I need it for motorcycle only.

They'll be a bit risky if you have an accident. The insurer will check with the purported issuer. You could, with a valid non-immigrant visa, do the Thai tests. They are not rocket science.

How does this work? I need a Thai driver's license. I don't have a driver's license in any country. I need it for motorcycle only.

Many threads, many post on this.

Go to your nearest DLT ask them what paperwork you need to take a motorcycle test.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-transport-offices-in-thailand/

And no worries they are not allowed to eat you.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Go to your nearest DLT ask them what paperwork you need to take a motorcycle test.

Haha... Okay, I will go there and ask. Somehow I thought I should have everything ready before going. I didn't even think I could go there to ask them what I need, I just tried to get everything ready. Mai pen rai...

Haha... Okay, I will go there and ask. Somehow I thought I should have everything ready before going. I didn't even think I could go there to ask them what I need, I just tried to get everything ready. Mai pen rai...

Well !! people think they have everything they need and go and find 9 out of 10 they don't so worth a visit first so you don't waste anytime in the day for taking your motorcycle test.

Depends on what DLT one you go to, some tests take 2 days they all seem to operate in some different way even though it informs you what info you need on the web site.

Goodluck.

Edited by Kwasaki

Well !! people think they have everything they need and go and find 9 out of 10 they don't so worth a visit first so you don't waste anytime in the day for taking your motorcycle test.

Depends on what DLT one you go to, some tests take 2 days they all seem to operate in some different way even though it informs you what info you need on the web site.

Goodluck.

Thank you! I hope it goes well too! I will find out soon what I need for my certificate of residence and what i need for my driver's license and if I need one for the other...

Goodluck.

Thank you! I hope it goes well too! I will find out soon what I need for my certificate of residence and what i need for my driver's license and if I need one for the other...

It's also not unheard of for different employees at the same place to give different answers. Good to read the threads so when you do go there to inquire, you have a rough idea what the correct answer should be and, as noted, not all DLTs do things exactly the same way.

My wife went 1 week before to ask on my behalf and was told I had to do everything AND take the new written exam because of new rules enacted on 1st June. Wife told me the girl didn't seem to be the brightest spark. So, we both stopped a few days later, got a different lady at the desk, and was told no written exam, which was the "correct" answer. Nice that this 2nd lady was on duty when we went to get license 2 days later. Such is life here. LOL. Good luck on your license.

My 1 year driving licence has expired a few years ago.

How many is a few ??

If its less than 3 I believe you'll only have to do the color,reaction and peripheral vision tests maybe watch the video for a while

need to take a residence certificate and medical certificate.

as you have a Non-O visa they should give you a 5 year licence.

Ah, Mr Johng,

Maybe you can save me a trip to the DLT office?

My 5 year car licence expired September 2554 & motorbike 5 year licence expired September 2555, do you know if this also applies to me? "If its less than 3 I believe you'll only have to do the color,reaction and peripheral vision tests maybe watch the video for a while"?

Also, does everybody's license expire on their Birthday?

Both of mine do but I took the tests at completely different dates.

Just curious?

Thanks

Edited by Porkster

Yes everyone's licence expires on their birthday (AFAIK)

The 3 year renewal was based on a sign posted at the Pattaya DLT.

I personally have never renewed an expired license.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hello tv members.

my 2 driving licence's are out of date since november 2013.

question 1 is, will my new licence start from november, which would suck as they will both be yearly.

we all Know by now that pattaya is the only place giving out proof of residence now.

problem is im not living there anymore and i need 4 POR.

1 for each licence and 2 to buy and sell bikes.

the embassy route is expenive 7,200 baht for 4 POR.

I have a couple of friends who are renting house's in pattaya

can i use there address as a sub tenant ?

any help with this matter would be great.

regards

Charlie

hello tv members.

question 1 is, will my new licence start from november, which would suck as they will both be yearly.

we all Know by now that pattaya is the only place giving out proof of residence now.

regards

Charlie

Your licences run out of date on a day in Nov' 2013 which is your birthday date usually that is what all driving licencing dates go by.

You don't say where you are so as always the place where you live now will have a DLT office located to it so go and see what they want from you.

I can only guess your suggestion for using a Pattaya address would be OK if you choose that route.

hello tv members.

regards

Charlie

Your licences run out of date on a day in Nov' 2013 which is your birthday date usually that is what all driving licencing dates go by.

You don't say where you are so as always the place where you live now will have a DLT office located to it so go and see what they want from you.

I can only guess your suggestion for using a Pattaya address would be OK if you choose that route.

hello tv members.

regards

Charlie

strangely enough they expire in November,but my birthday is April.

The reason im thinking about the pattaya route is the 4 proof of residence can be got for 100 baht each

oppose to the Embassy route 1,800 each

im now living in pratum thani about 50 km outside bkk

Guest StephenB

Thought I would pass along- yellow house book was accepted last week when I renewed both of my 5 year licences. Had to watch 2 hour show about patience and not being in a hurry. It was'nt a video on traffic rules as I was expecting. This is in Surin provence. The only test was a color test too. Very professional and by the book.

I need copies of old licenses, front and back, doctors paper X2, passport and visa page copies, yellow book copies.

The whole thing took 3.5 hours.

Thought I would pass along- yellow house book was accepted last week when I renewed both of my 5 year licences. Had to watch 2 hour show about patience and not being in a hurry. It was'nt a video on traffic rules as I was expecting. This is in Surin provence. The only test was a color test too. Very professional and by the book.

I need copies of old licenses, front and back, doctors paper X2, passport and visa page copies, yellow book copies.

The whole thing took 3.5 hours.

Which office ?? Is there only one DLT office in the Surin province ??

As we keep saying DLT offices throughout Thailand mostly operate in different ways.

Good man Kwasaki

just been on to the Pratum Thani office.

no POR needed, just medical cert and passport and visa copies.

2 down 2 to go thumbsup.gif

well as usual , to good to be true.

went up to the DLT, was told first that i needed a work permit to renew both of my licensees.

so, off to immirgration to regester my new address.

while there, I thought i would chance my arm and asked the friendly immigration officer

could i get a POR, he looked at the expired licenses and directed me up stairs

off i went and was met buy 2 very pleasant female officer's who at first said no

but when i produced the expired ones, its was green lights ahead.

gave me some papers to fill in and for the landlord to fill in,and said return tomorrow.

next morning got there at 8am and had to wait half an hour or so for this particular office to open.

i nedded copies of passport front page, visa, entry stamp.

30 minuites later i had the 4 POR I needed for the sum of 1,000 baht.thumbsup.gifsmile.png.

Next mission

back to sour puss at the DLT.

I needed 2 copies of same as above plus health cert and expired license

There was no mention of work permit when she seen the POR from immigration.

got my ticket and had to wait 30 minutes, called inside for final paper check

which she noticed i had ticked the 5 year licenses (chancing my arm again )

done the old, its not such a big problem, is there something we can do trick.

but she wasn't having any of it. payed for both 1 year, 386 baht if i remember correct.

and then off to have photo taken, wait for 2 minutes and guy call me back and gave me my

2 new licenses....

no eye test..no reaction test ?.

i asked finished ?. he said ( go home )

who am i to argue with this man, was out the door like a scalded cat.

Happy days, saved myself 6,200 baht.