Free Visa Plan Backfires On Thai Honorary Consulates

LivinginKata

Free visa plan backfires on Thai honorary consulates

phuket-Visa-for-Thailand-Photo-courtesy-Siam-Legal-1-cLfkVGc.jpg

Free tourist visas is a threat to the future

of the Royal Thai Honorary Consulates.

Photo courtesy of Siam Legal

PHUKET CITY: -- The future of honorary Thai consulates around the world is in doubt following the Thai government’s move to waive tourist visa fees until March 2010.

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday announced that as of today all foreigners applying for single-entry tourist visas at Thai embassies, consulates and honorary consulates will be exempt from fees.

Yet some honorary Thai consulates fear the move will cost them millions of baht in lost visa revenue and could result in their closure.

Alan Taylor, Honorary Thai Consul in Hull, UK, said unlike embassies and consulates, the 450 honorary consulates worldwide relied on the money they bring in selling visas.

“We won’t be closing but some will certainly be closing their doors,” he said.

William Dunn, Honorary Thai Consul in Brisbane, Australia, said those offices that relied heavily on tourist visa revenue would be worst affected.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok today told the Gazette that the Thai government would reimburse any lost income.

This was news to Mr Taylor.

“We’ve had no contact whatsoever,” he said. “No money has been offered and we’ve been told nothing.”

Earlier this year visa fees were waived between March 5 and June 4.

Both Mr Dunn and Mr Taylor said they saw no money from the Thai government for lost income during this period.

Mr Dunn had doubts his office would be reimbursed.

“They have talked about it but they won’t do it,” he said. “For a start I don’t think the money situation’s too good.”

Mr Taylor said the Hull office would have to look at ways of mitigating a “huge drop in visa income”.

“Numbers of applicants are unlikely to drop. If anything they will increase dramatically because people will get something for nothing,” he said.

Writing on the ThaiVisa.com web forum, a spokesperson for the Honorary Thai Consulate in Calgary, Canada, said, “This decision, as well as the previous decision waiving tourist visa fees for 90 days, has been a great disappointment to us here in Calgary. It seems as if Thailand is attempting to get rid of all honorary consulates around the world, no matter how helpful and successful they have been...”

“This is a very sad blow to all honorary consulates,” the spokesperson said. spacer.gif

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-06-25

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps some of these consulates who have very strict rules and requirements should offer the 1 year non immigrant 'O' visa in a similar manner to that offered by the Consulate in Hull, that would generate them a lot more income.

If these non cooperative consulates go out of business then in my opinion they deserve it. It's within their power to issue these year long visas to all comers but they choose not to.

Do you really believe that people will come only in thailand because they can have a free visa ?

what is the financial impact of such a measure for the holiday budget :D

What next ? They will give candy at the immigration :)

Quote from The Royal Thai Consulate in Calgary, Canada:

Be aware that this decision will mean that all Honourary Consulates-General around the world will be closed down. Diplomatic posts (in Canada, this is the Consulate-General in Vancouver and the Embassy in Ottawa only) get paid a salary and it doesn't matter how many or how few Tourist visas are sold, this does not affect their salaries. Honourary Consulates-General, on the other hand, function only on the money they bring in by selling visas - both Tourist and Non-Immigrant.

There are over 450 Honourary Consulates-General around the world and all will be affected - probably to the point of having to close their doors. Once these Honourary Consulates-General are closed, the only place to obtain a visa (and even if they are free, you still need to get one) are the Diplomatic Posts in your country. Also, this means that, unless you live in the same city as a Diplomatic Post, you must courier your package to the nearest Diplomatic Post and also submit a prepaid return courier envelope.

No same-day service, no "deals", no "service after the sale" (if you go to the Diplomatic Posts in Canada and say "I THINK I need a Double Entry Tourist visa" - that's what they'll sell you, wether you actually need it or not. They will not ask you ANY questions or discuss your trip with you at all. They will not give you information on Thailand - where to go, what to see, etc., nor will they ask you how long you will be in Thailand, whether you will be leaving and returning while you are there, or any other question that would give them more information as to what type and number of visa you really require.

This is a very sad blow to all Honourary Consulates-General. We here in Calgary service a Thai community of about 5,000 people. We assist them in filling out forms, obtaining various Canadian documentation, we deal with temporary Thai workers and their various issued, we assist and join the Thai community in celebrating Loi Krathong and Songkhran, assist in arranging for Thai Nationals to obtain Canadian Landed Immigrant status, Canadian citizenship and bringing friends and relatives of theirs to Canada.

We also dispense Thai visas, do certifications (Thai Police Clearance Certificates/certification of documents, both in Alberta and Canada, as well as a vast number of other services. We offer same-day service for persons who require speedy service, dispense information on travelling to Thailand, things to see and visit while there, and, with the assistance of the Ottawa Embassy and Immigration in Thailand, assist Canadians who confront issues such as having their visa stamped incorrectly upon entry, how and where to obtain further Tourist visas, etc.

SO--- for anyone who thinks this is a really good deal, you are greatly mistaken. A Single Entry Tourist visa for Thailand costs $35.00 Canadian - for anybody who is travelling to Thailand, this is chickenfeed - about the same amount that a person would pay for a fairly decent dinner in Calgary!!!

We have submitted letters, facsimiles and e-mails to the Consulate-General in Vancouver, the Embassy in Ottawa and various government departments in Thailand, with no replies and no answers to our queries.

This decision, as well as the previous decision waiving Tourist visa fees for 90 days,has been a great disappointment to us here in Calgary. It seems as if Thailand is attempting to get rid of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world, no matter how helpful and successful they have been in dealing with the visitors to Thailand they issue visas to, the Thai National communities in their areas, developing and assessing current and future business investment in Thailand and assisting whenever requested (and we get "requested" a lot!!).

I realize this is a particularly long post, but this situation is vital to the ongoing existance of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world.

So, don't think that this is simply a cheaper way to visit LOS - it means the closure of a majority of the places around the world that have assisted innumerable visitors to Thailand to ensure that tourists and business people can visit the country safely and that they are aware of the rules, regulations and laws of Thailand.

The Royal Thai Consulate, Calgary, Canada

if they werent idiots they would simply allow people who know about this to get the free visa, as those who dont, were gonna pay

ANYWAYS.

I just went to my consulate in montreal, canada. Fat lady swore that i could get 2 entry for free, even after telling her that the governement stated one.

So it seems around here, they're fine with it.

She kept bragging to everyone in the room about free visas

Im really surprised since the cconsulate is in a major building, right next to Aston martin, bmw, porches and bentley's.

Edited by greenwood01

Ironically I suspect this will lead to Consulates offering more expensive one year visas to a lot more people than who are currently getting them under the various interpretations of the rules. This will be interesting to see.

I would not shed one tear about these honorary consulates, they are a blast from the past. Times have changed. In my opinion Thailand should abandon visas totally except for certain countries. A Stay up to three months without hassle will make a difference. The gentleman in this interview who is claiming that the number of applicants will increase dramatically because people get something for free, has lost the plot. People still have to bring their passport, collect it etc. A few bucks does not do the trick. Thailand could set up an electronic visa system if they still insist on using visas. People can do it themselves or the travel agency can do it. You print your own visa, after having applied for it online. No need for any honorary consul. We do not want to levy a tax on blue ray players either to support the cassete tape industry.

Do you really believe that people will come only in thailand because they can have a free visa ?

Actually yes they will, since one visa is for a 1000 Baht for many this means an extra night of accomodation, hence a family of four will get for extra nights or extra shopping money

Ironically I suspect this will lead to Consulates offering more expensive one year visas to a lot more people than who are currently getting them under the various interpretations of the rules. This will be interesting to see.

Lets hope so .I myself being married with kids +savings + under 50 would happily pay +15000 baht for a one year non O from Laos.

Last time I got a 2 entry tourist visa for free whereas before I was getting a 90 day Non O for 2000 baht. :)

Actually yes they will, since one visa is for a 1000 Baht for many this means an extra night of accomodation, hence a family of four will get for extra nights or extra shopping money

I understand, but what i mean in my post is that the free visa is not the main reason which make you come in thailande and if you really want to come in thailand for a couple of month (that's why you need this visa, no ?) 1000 bt for visa are not going to stop you.

for my free fix of candy i stop by the hkg and mct immigration - they both distribute free mints :D

... although that's not really the incentive to visit :D

Oh yeah.. I can see all my mates in depression-struck England saying "Hey..! we save 17 quid if we fly to Thailand now.. lets nip down to the travel agents and pay 400 quid for a ticket today" :D

rollocks!

Its just another desperate idea from REALLY messed up country! :D

Don't get me wrong, I still like it here though. But it is getting worse... :D

You will not find a single tourist on this planet who will consider coming here or not because of the 25 euro visa fee being waived.

Let them do it.. let the consulates go.. let the tourism drop even further..

Ive lost confidence in this country years ago. Looking at this place from different angles and I dont see the thais deserve so much to have a great number of tourists.

It is a good PR gesture - let the rest take care of itself. Perhaps the end of the conventional visa is in sight.

Clearly change is necessary, and it is broken. Lets see - give love a chance.

BR>Jack

:D What are you talking about "sexy man" (i know you love to be call like that :) )

Jack i still wait for the decoder, please

In the past I've complained about not be able to get a multiple reentry Non-Immigration Type O from a US based consulate and their insistence that they will only give me single entry.

I just know that now Tourist visas are free they will not issue me with one and probably tell me that since I'm married to Thai and have applied for Type O already in the past that I'm required to apply for Type O again.

I fully expect this rationale if I apply for a free tourist visa from them , single entry or otherwise.

OMG

the simians are even shooting their own goodwill ambassadors

The message is clear, go away flang, but leave your money behind

IMHO los is looking north to their ancestors, and hooking up with them for their future :)

Everithing turns into a joke in lalaland

Thats it i'm off to Hull in the morning......... Thats another £13 quid i have saved. Happy days.

Not going to Thailand yet but my wifes says have sale Thailand save money good for us.........

:)

yeah right........

Jobs Flucked.

This is such a joke... Thailand already made it pretty clear how little they care about foreigners, now they even show how little they care about these honary consulates that HELPED them milk tourists until they got annoyed of them (after the single entry or on entry visa is over).

Whoever is in charge of the Ministry of foreign affairs, the immigration and any other department that deals with foreigners must really have good connections to have the job they have... it surely cannot be because they are qualified for the job.

Another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism.

I use the (Hull) Multi O non immigrant each year, and I've always been very happy with their great service and don't wish to seem them go away. If I could lose the 90 day reporting then I'd be ecstatic. Single entry freebies make no difference to me personally, and I'm not sure what difference it makes to the market sector they're interested in. Seems to be between stools to me. Maybe if they gave me a Buddha keyring it would change everything(?) I think that was the last tourist encouragement they gave. Haven't seen one yet so maybe it's just rumour.

Really, any farang at all that you can ask, could answer all their questions. They're calling it Swine flue to save face and make it look like it's not their decisions influencing anything, and to farang who stay here regularly and can see, nothing on MainStreamMedia would change anything, but if they want to see what it looks like from the outside, it's 1) Global downturn, 2) Perceived political instability/stroke/airport protests causing delays (and compensation that they offer that they refuse to actually pay), 3) Tsunami potential. Swine flu? Nah... It's global rather than Thai, and version 1.0 is nothing anyway, maybe the next wave will be more virulent, but we have to wait a few months to see that.

Apologies for the run-on sentences, but it's how I'd say it if I was talking.

Best all...