Michael Jackson Dead at Age 50

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG - RIP Michael.

The first record I ever bought as a child was a Jackson 5 small 45 disc, and the first dancer that ever truly held me in awe was Michael Jackson. If you ever see the old black & white Motown audition film of Michael as young child auditioning and dancing with his brothers, you will quickly understand that he was a singular talent of a century. I'm sorry things went so badly for him in his later life.

RIP King of Pop. No one even came close.

Rubbish !!! There is and probably never will again be only one 'King '

ELVIS

OMG - RIP Michael.

The first record I ever bought as a child was a Jackson 5 small 45 disc, and the first dancer that ever truly held me in awe was Michael Jackson. If you ever see the old black & white Motown audition film of Michael as young child auditioning and dancing with his brothers, you will quickly understand that he was a singular talent of a century. I'm sorry things went so badly for him in his later life.

RIP King of Pop. No one even came close.

Rubbish !!! There is and probably never will again be only one 'King '

ELVIS

Buddy Holly.

This mod just deleted a handfull of posts.

And so has this one.

Please keep it respectful. This is not the time or place for all the other things that may or may not be associated with his life.

Thank You.

So only his music can be discussed?

Brigante7.

We're obviously not allowed to talk about anything except his music so what's the point of keeping the thread open? Michael Jackson was famous for 3 things

1) His music

2) He was crazy

3) He liked young boys (His words)

Why can we only talk about the first thing?

Brigante7

michael was 400 million dollars in debt. FOUR HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS!

Everyone says what a 'hands-on' business person he was. Well, I'm glad he didn't have his hands on my business dealings. I'm zero dollars in debt, and have been for 30 years. If his purchase of half of the old Beatles songs was such a smart business move, why is he so grossly in debt?

He was also one of those people who used a whole heck of a lot of resources. For all the talk of him being such a sensitive person, I say, "what about sensitivity to using energy and resources"?

There are millions of rich people who use gargantuan amounts of resources - far beyond the needs of each individual. This is a finite planet, and the less wasteful of resources (oil, coal, trees, paper, water, plastic, glass, metal, etc) the better. Pompous and wastefull people like Michael used about as much resources individually, as ten thousand hill tribe villagers.

I saw the Motown 20th Anniversary concert as it was being broadcast live. Lots of fun.

Michael introduced a Jackie Wilson memorial tribute.

he wowed a lot of people with his public intro of the moonwalk, and sequined glove - whoop whoop.

However, of the performances that night, I thought Terence Trent D'Arby's song, "If You Let Me Stay" was more exciting that Jackson's "Billy Joel". D'Arby showed his incredible talent as an R&B performer. Jackson may have shown more dazzle with his sequins, but didn't have the musical depth of a real R&B performer like D'Arby. Just an opinion from a gigging R&B musician (40 years).

Well, I'm glad he didn't have his hands on my business dealings. I'm zero dollars in debt, and have been for 30 years.

maybe so, but you ain't FAMOUS :D

He would have grossed an absolute FORTUNE just from hos next planned world tour :)

More money than you can ever dream of

This is unbelievable news.. very sad day that will go down in history

badtour1.jpg

RIP dude.. I saw you at Aintree Racecourse, Liverpool in 1988

I was there too!

Spent most of the time flirting with a couple of girls from Liverpool though.

Vividly remember the unconscious girls being carried back over the crowd.

I wasn't that far from the front, but still couldn't see that much and watched him on the big screen most of the show, can't imagine what it was like for people at the back

A very sad day for the King of Pop fans. This guy was the best at his craft. No one came close.

The other side of his life I make no judgment. I do not know him nor did I ever see him personally do anything to kids.. To many people are judge jury and executioner - all from reports made by people unseen and unknown.

I bet he fought many scandals as most stars do.

RIP Michael Jackson - you will be missed.

I agree, very low musical depth, but off the charts as talent and performance were concerned.

I never bought any of his music because it was poppy and cute. Actually I would turn it off if it was on the radio. But when I see him in a stage performance I still stop and watch. He had more dexterity in his feet and legs than I do in my hands and arms. Shame he couldn't get his head together though. Played a role in exposing the dangers of plastic surgery as well.

Everyone says what a 'hands-on' business person he was. Well, I'm glad he didn't have his hands on my business dealings. I'm zero dollars in debt, and have been for 30 years. If his purchase of half of the old Beatles songs was such a smart business move, why is he so grossly in debt?

He was also one of those people who used a whole heck of a lot of resources. For all the talk of him being such a sensitive person, I say, "what about sensitivity to using energy and resources"?

There are millions of rich people who use gargantuan amounts of resources - far beyond the needs of each individual. This is a finite planet, and the less wasteful of resources (oil, coal, trees, paper, water, plastic, glass, metal, etc) the better. Pompous and wastefull people like Michael used about as much resources individually, as ten thousand hill tribe villagers.

While working with Paul McCartney on the two hit singles "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say", the pair became friendly, occasionally visiting one another. In one discussion, McCartney told Jackson about the millions of dollars he had made from music catalogs; he was earning approximately $40 million a year from other people's songs. Jackson then began a business career buying, selling and distributing publishing rights to music from numerous artists. Shortly afterward, Northern Songs—a music catalog holding thousands of songs, including The Beatles' back catalog—was put up for sale.[42][43]

Jackson took immediate interest in the catalog but was warned that he would face strong competition. Excited, he skipped around saying, "I don't care. I want those songs. Get me those songs Branca [his attorney]". Branca then contacted the attorney of McCartney, who clarified that his client was not interested in bidding; "It's too pricey". After Jackson had started negotiations, McCartney changed his mind and tried to persuade Yoko Ono to join him in a joint bid, she declined, so he pulled out. Jackson eventually beat the rest of the competition in negotiations that lasted 10 months, purchasing the catalog for $47.5 million. When McCartney found out he said, "I think it's dodgy to do things like that. To be someone's friend and then buy the rug they're standing on". Reacting to that statement, biographer J. Randy Taraborrelli observed that McCartney made millions of dollars from the music of other people. He had more money than Jackson at that point so could have made a substantial bid for his own music and would not have suffered financial difficulties from Jackson owning the catalog....... Debt caused by Sony, so they could get their hands on the catalogs............ A new package proposed by Sony would have had Jackson borrow an additional $300 million and reduce the interest rate payable on the loan, while giving Sony the future option to buy half of Jackson's stake in their jointly owned publishing company (leaving Jackson with a 25% stake).[95] Jackson agreed to a Sony-backed refinancing deal, although details were not made public.[126] Despite these loans, according to Forbes, Jackson was still making as much as $75 million a year from his publishing partnership with Sony alone.

"Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars. Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything
you
say, because
you're a reporter
. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, 'I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight,' people would say, 'Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is
nuts
. He's cracked up. You can't believe a dam_n word that comes out of his mouth.'"

—Michael Jackson

In 2000, Jackson was listed in the book of
Guinness World Records
for his support of 39 charities, more than any other entertainer or personality

the list is extensive, 75 million a year without lifting a finger..... yeah 400mill was a big debt, NOT! Its a car payment for him.... get it right! The message is CLEAR don't fall out of favour with the wrong company if you want your life to be normal

Edited by ozsamurai

He had a few good songs with the Jackson Five and one really excellent album (if you do not count the lousy song, "The Girl is mine") and a few more LPs that were very derivative of Thriller - with no real spark of creativity. He was good, but he got a lot more credit than he ever deserved. He was mostly in the right place at the right time.

I was never a fan but appreciate that he had a large following.

Too bad he'll mostly be remembered for his strangeness and questionable encounters with children.

I'm amazed at how many people compare an "engraved memory moment" with that of JFK's death. I probably won't be able to tell you in month from now the day he died or what I was doing, but (to age myself) I can still remember many details very clearly from the day JKF was assassinated.

Edited by Beacher

I don't know how Thailand will ever recover from this tragedy. He touchd so many young people.

Thanks for finally connecting this thread to Thailand. I was getting a paranoid complex for all my non-Thailand-related threads that've been axed! :)

Edited by toptuan

I was never a fan but appreciate that he had a large following.

Too bad he'll mostly be remembered for his strangeness and questionable encounters with children.

I'm amazed at how many people compare an "engraved memory moment" with that of JFK's death. I probably won't be able to tell you in month from now the day he died or what I was doing, but (to age myself) I can still remember many detail very clearly from the day JKF was assassinated.

I can remember the day Diana died. I was in an apartment in Bangkok, woke up and flicked on the TV and headed through to the kitchen. When I came back the screen was on CNN and it had a picture of Diana with the year of birth and then "-1997"

I was still a bit befuddled from having just woken up and wondered what that was about as it went to break and then when it came back found out that Diana was dead.

I remember the day of 911 clearly as well as I was in Los Angeles at the time and a friend called me early to ask me to turn on the TV as he had heard something on his car radio. I turned it on to see smoke coming out of one tower. I was still half-asleep and wandering around the room talking to my friend on the phone when the second plane hit and instantly realised it wasn't an accident.

I drove across LA that day and the freeways were deserted. Spooky.

This doesn't compare to either of those days

I don't know how Thailand will ever recover from this tragedy. He touchd so many young people.

Thanks for finally connecting this thread to Thailand. I was getting a paranoid complex for all my non-Thailand-related threads that've been axed! :)

In the sense, that he is/was the most famous person on earth, he is/was connected to every country.

In the sense, that he is/was the most famous person on earth, he is/was connected to every country.

and he performed live in Bangkok in 1993. He stayed at the Oriental. I remember that chaos outside caused by waiting fans...

Edited by webfact