Is Thailand Too Dangerous

craig

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Britain’s damning figures far outstrip those of second-worst EU country — Austria, with 1,677 violent crimes per 100,000 people."

Austria second? Well, statistics. As mentioned there might be different methodes of recording and reporting crimes. However, following the news nowadays, there is no doubt, that Britain is not anymore the place it used to be before.

But the trend goes all over Europe, where youth crimes are on the rise in almost every country. So why should Thailand be different?!

"Britain's damning figures far outstrip those of second-worst EU country — Austria, with 1,677 violent crimes per 100,000 people."

Austria second? Well, statistics. As mentioned there might be different methodes of recording and reporting crimes. However, following the news nowadays, there is no doubt, that Britain is not anymore the place it used to be before.

But the trend goes all over Europe, where youth crimes are on the rise in almost every country. So why should Thailand be different?!

There is no doubt in my mind that the youth of Britain has grown up with a sense of entitlement. They've been spoiled by their parents and totally unprepared for making their way in the real world. They've also grown up with images of violence all around - TV, film etc.

This is happening to an extent in Thailand as well. It amazes me how much the poorest people can spend on "treats" for their kids. You only have to look on the ground around here and see all the discarded Kanom packets. I think that Thailand possibly has less control over the additives in these products and I'm sure that they have a very bad effect when consumed so regularly.

A 17 year old Thai boy recently attacked both his parents near here because they couldn't afford to give him money. In the last few years i have known one man killed by his son and another man survived a machete attack by his son.

Another youth threatened his stepfather with a gun when he told the young man to switch of the music and send his mates home. The stepfather needed his sleep as he had to go to work, while the youth didn't work, just hung around with his drinking mates and scrounged off of his Mother and Stepfather.

The youth of Thailand are changing - and not for the better.

No more or less dangerous than other places.

Protect and defend your family at all , if you live in an excessively bad area you must move, but this sounds like an isolated incident. Wait for the full story to emerge.

Good luck.

I stay every years a couple months in the states, mosthly in Hawaii (Honolulu, Waikiki), and i never feel save there in the night. Even in Hawai, peaple getting shothed, robberies, stealing cars or stealing items in the cars, car windows getting smashed, druggies destroy other peaples properties cars and businesses etc. Almost every night, things happen there on this small little island. To many druggies and homelesses there. This is the "Obama Country", greatest country in the world, they say, everyone can sue you for anything and take you to the court for the simples things and ask for millions. Much more risky to living overthere, than here. So please don't complain about Thailand. I stay here 15 years permanent and never had any serious headache, exept with my ex gf. But this was my fault, because i trusted her to much. So please don't complain

I stay every years a couple months in the states, mosthly in Hawaii (Honolulu, Waikiki), and i never feel save there in the night. Even in Hawai, peaple getting shothed, robberies, stealing cars or stealing items in the cars, car windows getting smashed, druggies destroy other peaples properties cars and businesses etc. Almost every night, things happen there on this small little island.

Much more risky to living overthere, than here. So please don't complain about Thailand. I stay here 15 years permanent and never had any serious headache...

:):D:D

<br />
No more or less dangerous than other places.<br />Protect and defend your family at all , if you live in an excessively bad area you must move, but this sounds like an isolated incident. Wait for the full story to emerge.<br />Good luck.
<br /><br />I stay every years a couple months in the states, mosthly in Hawaii (Honolulu, Waikiki), and i never feel save there in the night. Even in Hawai, peaple getting shothed, robberies, stealing cars or stealing items in the cars, car windows getting smashed, druggies destroy other peaples properties cars and businesses etc. Almost every night, things happen there on this small little island. To many druggies and homelesses there. This is the &quot;Obama Country&quot;, greatest country in the world, they say, everyone can sue you for anything and take you to the court for the simples things and ask for millions. Much more risky to living overthere, than here. So please don't complain about Thailand. I stay here 15 years permanent and never had any serious headache, exept with my ex gf. But this was my fault, because i trusted her to much. So please don't complain<br /><br />
Edited by Phatcharanan

From the UK's The Sun yesterday. :)

I wouldn't consider this a credible source - a rag that is read by the uneducated masses (who require pictures rather than prose) that features overdeveloped ladies in a state of undress on the front page. No serious person would wrap their fish and chips in it. I would give serious consideration to a proposal that the accuracy of their reporting doesn't even reach the standard of Thai newspapers.

Pattaya or anywhere else in the world has violence , when it strikes close to home it makes you feel very vunerable. But , as in any 3rd world socio economic place , be cautious .

I must admit my caution heightens when I am in Pattaya,Manilla , & similar places , but it does in Cleveland as well.

I also must admit I feel very comfortable in KL & Singapore & going to check out Penang in the next couple of months.

Don't get paranoic over violence in Pattaya it will get worse as the flow of money decreases to the masses , desperation sets in , it is happening in the USA already & the 5th Armed Cash Van Robbery in Sydney Australia just happened the other week (That's in as many months).

Accurate Statistics by Governments ????? are u kidding.? There was an old story about once where a young Politician needed some stats to introduce in the Legislature to prove a point & when he asked the Public Servant to compile them ,

he said "Sure , what do you want them to say ?"

Many a true word is spoken in Jest!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how this fellow would react if he found an intruder in Thailand....

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-burg...0,5086779.story

and surprisingly it seems he didn't get done for assault himself.

Ouch! Armed Intruder Pummeled by 72 year old Grandpa

KTLA News

July 4, 2009

47860243.jpg Frank Corti vs. Gregory McCalium

BOTLEY, England -- A word of warning for a 23-year-old burglar who tried to rob a 72-year-old man at knife point- next time, pick on somebody your own age!

Frank Corti is a grandfather, and unfortunately for the burglar, a former army boxer.

Gregory McCalium was reportedly still drunk from an all-night party when he went into the Cortis house at 8am on August 19 last year.

Prosecutors say he threatened Mr Corti with a knife but the former featherweight boxer dodged it, punching McCalium twice in the face before pinning him to a wall.

And by the look of things, Corti's punches still carry some pop.

The burglar was left with a black eye, split lip and severe swelling.

McCalium was jailed for four and a half years on Monday after a jury at Oxford Crown Court found him guilty of aggravated burglary following a trial in March.

BOTLEY, England -- A word of warning for a 23-year-old burglar who tried to rob a 72-year-old man at knife point- next time, pick on somebody your own age!

Frank Corti is a grandfather, and unfortunately for the burglar, a former army boxer.

Gregory McCalium was reportedly still drunk from an all-night party when he went into the Cortis’ house at 8am on August 19 last year.

Prosecutors say he threatened Mr Corti with a knife but the former featherweight boxer dodged it, punching McCalium twice in the face before pinning him to a wall.

And by the look of things, Corti's punches still carry some pop.

The burglar was left with a black eye, split lip and severe swelling.

McCalium was jailed for four and a half years on Monday after a jury at Oxford Crown Court found him guilty of aggravated burglary following a trial in March.

The way the laws are evolving in some countries, Frank Corti is lucky he wasn't charged with assault.

I think it happens all around the world not only Thailand. In each countries they have different number of the crime but sure they have.

What you have to do is spend your life as everyday you do. Stay enjoy with life and take good care of your family. Nowhere completely safe in the world. Don't worry too much. I live in this country for 25 years since I was born, the bad thing never happen to me YET. So, I think life here is good enough to enjoy life.

• 2 months later...
The following site http://www.nationmaster.com is very usefull for anyone interested in statistics on a wide range of topics about many countries. Its easy to navigate.

Some examples, just look in the top ten for Thailand and gone is the myth Thailand is save.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_...per-100-000-pop

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

See yourself.

MBL

wow that is pretty interesting

i have need to move down to the chonburi/rayong area in a year or so and was thinking of pattaya as the place - would there be any other suggestions by local residents to consider?

The following site http://www.nationmaster.com is very usefull for anyone interested in statistics on a wide range of topics about many countries. Its easy to navigate.

Some examples, just look in the top ten for Thailand and gone is the myth Thailand is save.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_...per-100-000-pop

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

See yourself.

MBL

i have need to move down to the chonburi/rayong area in a year or so and was thinking of pattaya as the place - would there be any other suggestions by local residents to consider?

Yeah...move somewhere else... :D

Seriously other options

Jomtien

Sattahip

Ban Chang

Rayong

If you moving for work, you would be better not living in the rat hole that is Pattaya.. :)

Yeah...find somewhere else to live... :)

Seriously

Jontiem

Sattahip

Ban Chang

Rayong proper

This is nothing, wait another 6 months to a year, when the global depression takes its toll, then you'll see dangerous

it'll be years before any recovery

if it goes that way you will be right, it will be considerably more dangerous.

by the way, a couple of years ago I was chatting with a guy using 'PooyingHunter'. Not you by any chance?

I'd be really interested in looking at the World Health Organization figures for 2009. Does anyone know where I can get them? Just curious really.

I've been living in Thailand for a long time, and as a single girl, I'm definitely feeling more edgy about being here than I ever have before.

I've heard, like we all have, so many crimes both both reported and not, against foreigners and within the Thai community, over the years...

But I feel recently as thought they have been ramping up a bit. They are getting more violent. Robberies are increasing where I live, and some of the stories involve the person having a gun pointed at their head. The motorcycle bag snatch is increasing, and I've heard a lot more brutal stories recently than I ever had before - murders, shootings, robberies ending in violence. I now sleep with an inside light on, as well as my porch lights.

Has it always been this way...? I don't think so.

Although I can't say that in my time here I have ever been physically assaulted, or injured in any way. (Although I have been robbed.) But I like living here, if I didn't I would have left. However, more recently I have been thinking about a contingency plan... Where will I go next... I feel as though it's getting more dangerous and it may be time to move on. The constant visa hassle is no help... though I'll save that rant for the visa forum.

I have always thought if I keep my head down, do my thing, I will be OK. I don't drink and go to bars, or stay out late at night. I don't do business in Thailand. Better not to. An old friend of mine had a gun pulled on him when he became too successful. Some jealous locals decided to run him out of town. He left Thailand shortly after and has never been back. He was a lovely guy, gentle and polite. He in no way asked for it.

So yeah, when I hear about all these gun crimes, I get scared. I personally feel as though Thailand is getting more and more dangerous, and this will only increase as the economy worsens and the Thais start to feel the pinch... and of course, when the event that we can't talk about here happens... which I don't think is gonna be too far down the road. What about the power vacuum left behind then.

Trying to compare Thailand with other countries, though, especially those in the west is like trying to compare apples with oranges. You can't just take the Bronx and compare it with Pattaya, it doesn't work like that. This is not our country, and never will be. We are not Thai. We will be the first in the firing line. Period. You just need to be in an accident or try and report something to the police to know that. If you read the papers from back home it looks like you could easily get stabbed by some crazy psycho on your way to Sainsburys... But, here, it's more about what doesn't get reported and it's much more about whats beneath the friendly smiles that we need to be worried about and I'm sad to say, but I honestly think that my stay here in Thailand will not be for much longer. That's just the way I see things going.

I'd be really interested in looking at the World Health Organization figures for 2009. Does anyone know where I can get them? Just curious really.

I've been living in Thailand for a long time, and as a single girl, I'm definitely feeling more edgy about being here than I ever have before.

I've heard, like we all have, so many crimes both both reported and not, against foreigners and within the Thai community, over the years...

But I feel recently as thought they have been ramping up a bit. They are getting more violent. Robberies are increasing where I live, and some of the stories involve the person having a gun pointed at their head. The motorcycle bag snatch is increasing, and I've heard a lot more brutal stories recently than I ever had before - murders, shootings, robberies ending in violence. I now sleep with an inside light on, as well as my porch lights.

Has it always been this way...? I don't think so.

Although I can't say that in my time here I have ever been physically assaulted, or injured in any way. (Although I have been robbed.) But I like living here, if I didn't I would have left. However, more recently I have been thinking about a contingency plan... Where will I go next... I feel as though it's getting more dangerous and it may be time to move on. The constant visa hassle is no help... though I'll save that rant for the visa forum.

I have always thought if I keep my head down, do my thing, I will be OK. I don't drink and go to bars, or stay out late at night. I don't do business in Thailand. Better not to. An old friend of mine had a gun pulled on him when he became too successful. Some jealous locals decided to run him out of town. He left Thailand shortly after and has never been back. He was a lovely guy, gentle and polite. He in no way asked for it.

So yeah, when I hear about all these gun crimes, I get scared. I personally feel as though Thailand is getting more and more dangerous, and this will only increase as the economy worsens and the Thais start to feel the pinch... and of course, when the event that we can't talk about here happens... which I don't think is gonna be too far down the road. What about the power vacuum left behind then.

Trying to compare Thailand with other countries, though, especially those in the west is like trying to compare apples with oranges. You can't just take the Bronx and compare it with Pattaya, it doesn't work like that. This is not our country, and never will be. We are not Thai. We will be the first in the firing line. Period. You just need to be in an accident or try and report something to the police to know that. If you read the papers from back home it looks like you could easily get stabbed by some crazy psycho on your way to Sainsburys... But, here, it's more about what doesn't get reported and it's much more about whats beneath the friendly smiles that we need to be worried about and I'm sad to say, but I honestly think that my stay here in Thailand will not be for much longer. That's just the way I see things going.

As a potential retireree I find your post confirming my feelings even though I'm only in PTY as a vacationer, a lot less smiles then my first trips of a approx. 8 years ago

I no longer that 'care free' feel, keep my eyes and ears much more wide open now, I've haven't written PTY off yet, as it is still by far the most suitable 'satisfying' destination I've found

Do hope the apparent trend of what I would call despair slows down and even reverses itself