Trying To Rebuild Your Life In Thailand

MikeSoi11

When my wife left me, I avoided child support by getting "joint custody" meaning my son stayed with me about 50% of the time so I could still have a good relationship and stay in his life. Best decision I ever made, kept me grounded and responsible. After he graduated and went off to college I moved to Thailand.(skype keeps us in contact now). Now no matter what happens I know I did right by him. Keep that in mind as you make your plans.

Good point. When my wife ended our marriage of 20 years I stayed in the same house to make sure our two children had at least one responsible adult looking after them. I gave up my own private life for the sake of our children. It took two years until my kids finished school and got jobs. After that I started dating other women again.

CHILDREN COME FIRST!!! ALWAYS! When you CHOOSE to have children then you have to accept the responsibility of your own actions. You've chosen at least 18 years of supporting them, or until they are old enough to look after themselves. It is NOT up to the other spouse if you have been the soul source of income. It doesn't matter what type of person your spouse is. If the spouse is too bad then it's your responsibility to get soul custody of the children.

Most family psychologists will say that divorced couples should remain single for at least two years before starting another serious relationship with anyone.

For a single foreigner who chooses to live in Thailand there are many hoops to jump through, regulations to follow and things to accept that are not part of western cultures.

1. Don't burn any bridges at home. You might very likely have to go back. And, in your case you SHOULD go back on a regular basis to have contact with YOUR children. They DO need to know who their father is and that he still loves them despite problems with their mother.

2. To stay in Thailand you need to have enough money to last at least 2 years without earning a living by trying to work under the table. Getting an official work permit for Thailand is very difficult. That means you will need to have saved at least 750,000 baht to survive those two years of basic celebacy. There will be nothing left to party with the girls.

3. Never, never, never get seriously involved with any Thai woman until you have all other problems solved. And, don't EVER think about having more children until your others are grown up.

4. Don't buy any business in Thailand that you can't walk away from at a total loss. It happens far more often than Thai businesses that make money.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am coming out of a divorce and really feel like Thailand is a place where a man can plant his feet and make a life for himself. Do you agree? Please share your experience on such.

You could say that all the answers here could be correct - it just depends on your own personality. If you go to Thailand with a positive mind forgetting the past, you will likely have the time of your life. If you bring along all your emotional baggage, you will be homesick, miserable, and prey to all the sheisters.

It completely depends on your frame of mind.

I am coming out of a divorce and really feel like Thailand is a place where a man can plant his feet and make a life for himself. Do you agree? Please share your experience on such.

You could say that all the answers here could be correct - it just depends on your own personality. If you go to Thailand with a positive mind forgetting the past, you will likely have the time of your life. If you bring along all your emotional baggage, you will be homesick, miserable, and prey to all the sheisters.

It completely depends on your frame of mind.

It might also depend on what the police check shows.

the us courts look at a black man with a record

Sorry, mate, not to be too critical, but you should have a good command of English before you propose to teach it.

Amen.

However, all is not for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Be careful....clear your head.....beware of scamming bar girls who'll take advantage of a man with a "broken heart"

dont worry i have read stickmanbangkok and i am definitely not a guy who is going to be tricked into sick buffalo stories.

Reading stickman and awareness of mad cow disease will not qualify you to not be ripped off. Everyone is at first, although they don't admit it. With have all been had by the long con or the short con.

You will meet a girl, get some rebound pretend love and everything will seem perfect. At first.

The first two years living in Thailand will probably be the best time of your life. Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy it.

After a few years you will start to understand about the way the people acutally think beneath that smile. Maybe you will learn the language. Best way to enjoy Thailand is to speak the language.

Good luck mate.

Come for a couple of years. Keep whateveer assets you have back home. You will need them.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

for job. i have some savings to use while i find one. i am not sure what to do but i think even if i must teach English as choice it is ok for me because i love thai people and i feel like being around the thai smiles is the one thing in this life that will be great every single day. i will not rush to get a job but find the best job available with my skills. in the past i have done alot of DJ work at private parties and clubs (I am African American and have previously worked behind the scenes in the studio for r+b industry) so that may be an option too.

Sorry, mate, not to be too critical, but you should have a good command of English before you propose to teach it.

please good sir, try to show me how my english is bad and why i can't command it?

for job. i have some savings to use while i find one. i am not sure what to do but i think even if i must teach English as choice it is ok for me because i love thai people and i feel like being around the thai smiles is the one thing in this life that will be great every single day. i will not rush to get a job but find the best job available with my skills. in the past i have done alot of DJ work at private parties and clubs (I am African American and have previously worked behind the scenes in the studio for r+b industry) so that may be an option too.

please good sir, try to show me how my english is bad and why i can't command it?

Read what you just wrote.

Charming

With that attitude Im guessing your wife left you right? you do mention she has another man already , that's got to hurt knowing she gettin it every night while you troll the sois looking for cheap hookers :)

Pay the kids first , jeez there are some scum here

that has got to be the best post on this topic thread. :D:D good one because it is true.

90% of thais are dark skin. so they all hate themselves? very smart. you must be thai expert.

i have more problems in usa about my skin then in thailand. thai people are very kind.

Edited by MikeSoi11

90% of thais are dark skin. so they all hate themselves? very smart. you must be thai expert.

i have more problems in usa about my skin then in thailand. thai people are very kind.

Here is the logo of a Thai brand : products to clean toilets

post-84119-1246718078.jpg

Was in the same situation, am English, was married to a German, had a hel_l of a hard time during the divorce, so one day just after everything was getting sorted I left, and came here. Been here for 5 years, happily married to a lovely woman.

Job will be a major problem for you, Thais love white skin farangs teaching their kids, but do not be put off by this fact, I know two Afro Americans, both teaching in Universities. Make sure you have the right qualifications to teach. DJ work is not available as far as I know to farangs, but could be wrong.

Why not test the water, come over, try it see if you like it, try and find a job, if you get an offer then jump and take it if you want to.

Be careful of your Embassy, a guy I know had Child Support lingering over him, he went to the US Embassy, and was promptly told to go back to the US, instead of getting a new passport he got a court order for money.

believe the stories of white teachers, although as I said I know 2 Afro Americans, but Thais do love white skin even non native speakers.

Have worked with people from Israel, Poland, Russia and other countries and not been able to understand them.

Here is the logo of a Thai brand : products to clean toilets

Black man keeps my toilet spotless, highly recommended.

The original post gave the impression that the OP was thinking of coming to Thailand.

later posts give the impression that he is in Thailand now as he refers to "here" in the context of Thailand.

I find it very difficult to take this post seriously, something just not quite right.

The original post gave the impression that the OP was thinking of coming to Thailand.

later posts give the impression that he is in Thailand now as he refers to "here" in the context of Thailand.

I find it very difficult to take this post seriously, something just not quite right.

You could drive a hummer through his posts, he is a troll. I will wait to have this post deleted too.....

i am considering staying, not going back. i came on one way ticket. why should i waste money to go home, then decide to come back again. going home has many problems waiting for me and none of which are fair for me.

why have so many black male athlete for model in nike stores and half naked? the thai women must like or they would not display these photos everywhere.

European and American women love dark skin, but Thais see dark skinned males everyday and want a change from that, cause most Thai men don't know how to treat women, but us whities do.

Also the company (Nike) sends the posters or the pictures out and decides who the models are going to be, the Thais cannot decide, it is thrust upon them.

Edited by beano2274

so who put up all the half naked black men advertisements and why do thai women always stare at them?

and lets not make this a debate about black vs white, as i think most white men will admit that most women prefer black men as lovers.

once you go black, you dont go back.

Edited by MikeSoi11

alright people

the OP asks about dealing with things after divorce, and about moving to thailand

lets stay on topic. and not turn this into a discussion about the colour of someone's skin or whatever other such ethnic, nationality and or gender debate.

else this topic will be closed, and any one violating forum rules will be issued with a warning.

cheers

so who put up all the half naked black men advertisements and why do thai women always stare at them?

and lets not make this a debate about black vs white, as i think most white men will admit that most women prefer black men as lovers.

once you go black, you dont go back.

So you are in Thailand then? if you have seen the Thai women staring at the dark guys ...........and you are trolling

alright people

the OP asks about dealing with things after divorce, and about moving to thailand

lets stay on topic. and not turn this into a discussion about the colour of someone's skin or whatever other such ethnic, nationality and or gender debate.

else this topic will be closed, and any one violating forum rules will be issued with a warning.

cheers

So who said that if no the OP and is it related to divorce or about moving to thailand ?

MikeSoi11Posted Today, 2009-07-04 22:00:36

"so who put up all the half naked black men advertisements and why do thai women always stare at them?

once you go black, you dont go back."

MikeSoi11Posted Today, 2009-07-04 21:54:36

"why have so many black male athlete for model in nike stores and half naked? the thai women must like or they would not display these photos everywhere"

so yes, lets stay on the Topic : Trying To Rebuild Your Life In Thailand (and to avoid your moral obligations toward your children)

you are lucky. the us courts look at a black man with a record

This thread is amusing - the OP just keep dropping little "troll nuggets"!

If you're for real, you're probably not going to get a decent teaching job, because even though I'm not a teacher and can't speak definitively, you will need a police clearance.

What were you busted for?

On the plus side for you - the watermelon in Thailand is better than in the US!