The Ashes

uptheos

Well, it's here again the greatest cricket tournament in the world, The Ashes.

Forget, colourful clown outfits, one dayers or American style 20/20 slugfests, this is REAL cricket, where tickles down to fine leg and driving through the covers will show what REAL cricket is all about.....and REAL cricketing colours will be worn (White). I'm really looking forward to sharing some banter with my many Aussie pals, who are already trembling at the thought of not having McGrath to tie up one end whilst Warne creates havoc from the other....it's going to be GREAT...it always is, regardless of who wins.

So, where are people going to watch it?

Who is showing all 5 tests?

Is anyone giving a special on beers for The Ashes series...they do in UK and Oz?

yep the real cricket is back.can't have better cricket than Ashes.

don't know about chingmai but in bkk most of the pubs show it.so far haven't seen any promotion during the series.

Aah well said, "can't have better cricket than Ashes".

I guess you are blessed in Bangkok at times like these, with a myriad of places available all with big screens. I know there is a large cricketing following in Chiangmai and I'm REALLY surprised that someone hasn't come out with a big promotion for beers lovers, coz we all know how much beer the Aussies can swig down (plus us Brits, though a distant second) during the course of a match and if the weather is OK that's 25 days of beer guzzling plus food (pies) of course coz the Aussies sure can eat too!

Come on bar owners get those supersized fat boy pies stocked up!

Yup - can't wait. The Irish pub will be showing all the tests, but I'm not sure if they'll have an 'Ashes Special' on the beer.

Shame the selectors didn't pick Harmi - he looks like he's really had the bit between his teeth recently.

Edited by Scrubber

Yup - can't wait. The Irish pub will be showing all the tests, but I'm not sure if they'll have an 'Ashes Special' on the beer.

Come on Sandy - you know it makes sense!!

What about Tuskers, Chas loves real cricket.

Come on Chas, something like your Premiership special would be nice and remember the day is 8 hours not just the two hours of Premier League.

You could even set up IV beer lines for our Aussie friends!

thats why oz beer is weak, it is the dilution effect of all their tears...

where do we watch it and where are the england fans, i dont want to be surrounded by the colonials :)

thats why oz beer is weak, it is the dilution effect of all their tears...

where do we watch it and where are the england fans, i dont want to be surrounded by the colonials :)

Nice one alant and there I was thinking that they filled their glasses with beer. I always wondered how men (and Sheilas) could chug away a 24 pack whilst watching a game of Rugby (no not footie, that's played with the feet guys), but of course diluting beer with tears that's already diluted like cats pee, would be easy, not that I really know what cats pee is like. It's a bit of a tough one, trying to get away from our colonial brothers alant, but hey we're all one under the same monarchy, so lets make the best of it.

No response on any beer specials yet then.

Ah, cricket, that easily understood game played by men wearing white outfits in the hot sun.

The rules...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs, THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME!

Simple really. :)

For tests its....

The rules...

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out twice including the not outs, THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME!

Simple really. :)

Lets not try and confuse anyone!

Edited by iainiain101

For tests its....
The rules...

When both sides have been in and out twice including the not outs, THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME!

Simple really. :D

Lets not try and confuse anyone!

Love it!! You guys have the right to enter the Lords Pavillion, wearing jacket and tie of course! :)

Five day test matches and I watch every ball - heaven!

Need some feedback on those special beers soon guys....Sandy....Chas.....Pedr et al.

Surely times can't be that tough! :D

twice = more beer time so back to the original question ashes beer promotion :D

I'm sure one of them really wants to offer a promotion for The Ashes series but is probably waiting to see what the other offers first. I'm surprised Chas at Tuskers hasn't come along with a special promo, as I know he'll be there for the very first ball bowled.

Maybe he prefers to watch it alone? :)

Does anyone know if UBC has proper coverage? I am working now and would prefer to avoid a 5 day piss-up and watch at home if possible (weekends excluded).

Don't forget also that alot of bars will be closed Weds.

Does anyone know if UBC has proper coverage? I am working now and would prefer to avoid a 5 day piss-up and watch at home if possible (weekends excluded).

Don't forget also that alot of bars will be closed Weds.

UBC has no coverage - it had The Ashes ppv in the past but appears to have given that up - not too many Thai takers I guess.

Drink tea on Wednesday - very civilised. :)

Here you go Uptheos and all other cricket fans - throughout the series play the Tuskers Ashes Predictor Competition and get up to 30% off.

Here's how it works

Watch a whole session of play and qualify for 10% off food and drink purchased during that session

Predict the number of wickets scored during the session and win 10% off food and drink purchased during that session

Predict the number of runs scored during the session and win 10% off food and drink purchased during that session (ten run blocks not the exact number!)

Howzat?

PREDICTOR%20COMPweb.jpg

Edited by miltonbentley

Here you go Uptheos and all other cricket fans - throughout the series play the Tuskers Ashes Predictor Competition and get up to 30% off.

Here's how it works

Watch a whole session of play and qualify for 10% off food and drink purchased during that session

Predict the number of wickets TAKEN during the session and win 10% off food and drink purchased during that session

Predict the number of runs scored during the session and win 10% off food and drink purchased during that session (ten run blocks not the exact number!)

Howzat?

PREDICTOR%20COMPweb.jpg

Sorry you can't get double bubble. TV cards cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions

Understood. So presumably a person can just sort of wander in, order some food, have a drink, watch a bit of cricket and then pay using their TV card as normal, without involving themselves in any promotional activity?

They certainly can!

Good stuff Chas - I know a couple of guys who are not real cricket fans (Americans) but they liked the 20/20 slugfest and now it's time to learn how the game is played properly....enough of this imitation baseball stuff!

Looking forward to series and good luck to my colonial sports and sportess friends....it's the only time I hate you guys....but it's wonderful. :)

Looks promising :)

The Ashes series - forecast for Cardiff

Latest forecast for the Ashes series - Sofia Gardens, Cardiff

See the latest forecast for the first game in the Ashes series between England and Australia

Issued at: 03:56 Tue 7 Jul 2009

General weather situation, Tue 7 Jul 2009 to Sat 11 Jul 2009Low pressure dominates the weather across the UK with the flow turning into a cool northwesterly during the day.

Forecast for Tue 7 Jul 2009WeatherSome bright or sunny spells during the day but the risk of a few heavy showers passing through, particularly this morning and this afternoon. By this evening the showers will have gone to leave a dry and sunny end to the day.Max temp19 CelsiusMin temp12 CelsiusWindWest to northwesterly 10-15mph gusts 25mph near any showers.Rainfall3-6mm with a small risk of 10mm

Forecast for Wed 8 Jul 2009WeatherA generally dry but rather cloudy day. Only a small risk of a shower and the cloud should break at times during the afternoon.Max temp19 CelsiusMin temp11 CelsiusWindNorthwesterly 10-15mphRainfall0-3mm

Forecast for Thu 9 Jul 2009WeatherA dry day but cloudy start. Some sunshine developing during the afternoon.Max temp18 CelsiusMin temp10 CelsiusWindWest to northwesterly 5-10mph.Rainfall0

Outlook for Fri 10 Jul 2009 to Sat 11 Jul 2009Staying dry with some sunny spells and light winds. Cloud increasing from the west later in the day with some rain soon after midnight. That means a wet start to Saturday but this should clear during the afternoon. 3-6mm likely with perhaps as much as 10mm before the rain clears.

The first test has began well for the aussies with england 97/3 at lunch with Johnson bagging two early wickets and the other australian fast bowlers looking impressive.

Early days yet but plenty of excitement so far.

Forget, colourful clown outfits, one dayers or American style 20/20 slugfests, this is REAL cricket, where tickles down to fine leg and driving through the covers will show what REAL cricket is all about.....and REAL cricketing colours will be worn (White). I'm really looking forward to sharing some banter with my many Aussie pals, who are already trembling at the thought of not having McGrath to tie up one end whilst Warne creates havoc from the other....it's going to be GREAT...it always is, regardless of who wins.

Is anyone giving a special on beers for The Ashes series...they do in UK and Oz?

If you cant get out of the house or cant afford the time a friend of mine, living in Bangkok, just rang to say he is listening to BBC radio 5 on his computer. Full coverage he advises .Normally I have found theses broadcasts not available outside the UK. Just about to give it a try.

Just enjoyed the first day's coverage from Sky on WETV. Great stuff.

smashing first day that was. plenty of excitement and the aussies probably ended the day on top thanks to the couple of late wickets. 20% off my beer at tuskers for guessing the second session's run total correctly was pretty nice too.

Being Australian I can't get as enthusiastic with this Ashes series as in the past decade or so. I wish em well but can only predict a pommy win, I feel the bowling attack will let em down.

Early days though and I'd like to be proven wrong.

Edited by bdenner