Does Family Come First For Your Wife?

Livinginexile

A Farang husband coming first and almost only even with a huge family is possible in Thailand.

How??? :)

If the wife loves him.

ahm...isn't that normal?

It's very sad that so many posters really think it is normal that their wifes to not consider her husband as close family.

I have a Thai wife and WE come first. I asked her about this subject and she sugested that any women who does not consider her husband as closest family is being taken for a ride. :D

I'm curious to know if your wife has ever been in a situation where she has needed to deny a family member's wish/request because of your strong preference in some matter, and therefore done so? In other words, has she proven with her actions what she has told you? For a woman to do that would speak volumes for me.

Maybe my wife is an exception to the rule but I don't think so.

Right from the beginning of our relationship when I was still green around the gills, she protected me from all that shit.

Just after we were married I bought a little houseshop in Khoksongrong. The place is a little run down but easily renovated. My idea was to do it up and let her family live there a keep a couple of rooms upstairs for us to stay when we visit Thailand.

When we moved to Australia I left enough money in the bank for the work and you know…that money is still in my bank account in Thailand after 3.5 years!

She told me better not spend the money. Just rent it out, her parents don't need to live there.

Even when we were married and I thought sinsot was necessary she told me to forget about that. Her mother tried it on with me but my wife quickly made it clear to her that no money would be coming from me. And I was actually trying to pay!

Unlike other men on this forum, I can't get my wife to spend my money on her family, as a matter of fact her whole attitude is "family first" OUR family, me, our son and her!

Maybe it's different up there in fukuoverburri but it is certainly not the case with my Thai family.

They work hard in their little restaurant on the street and they never ask for our help.

I think the difference is my wife truly loves me.

We are all human beings and LOVE…true love is the same everywhere in the world. When a person truly loves someone they will protect them from anyone that means them harm.

I think it's sad that some people believe that isn't the case in Thailand.

Excuse me, but when you started this thread didn't you (in your first post) quote:

"One has to come to accept the Asian ways which are self-preservation and care of close family first before considerations for a partner"

I believe this is part of the conditioning a Thai woman will inflict on her farang partner to justify the way she treats him.

Now you make disparaging remarks about some posters who (if only slightly) may concur with the statement you posed. Do you want our input or not?

In fact, I am wondering what your purpose in starting this topic was.

Don't read me wrong, I am happy you have such an ideal partner. I'm just a bit confused, that's all.

Edited by Lopburi99

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate the word "farang" I have come to associate it with something bad sorry, I had to get that off my chest and I'm not a "farang" and can live with what the Thais call me but it just seems funny to see white men say it.

Anyway I would say my wife puts our children first and me second after that her family and my family, I think that is the order of things with most woman not just Thai. I would hardly say my wife would sell off our possessions and give the money to her family, not that they need it as they are pretty well off.

You are the farang - get used to it, you will hear it frequently.

It also quickly becomes part of your vocubulary as in "..is that a new Falang in town...?". You do not find yourself saying "..is that a new white male Westerner in town..."

A Farang husband coming first and almost only even with a huge family is possible in Thailand.

How??? :D

If the wife loves him.

ahm...isn't that normal?

It's very sad that so many posters really think it is normal that their wifes to not consider her husband as close family.

I have a Thai wife and WE come first. I asked her about this subject and she sugested that any women who does not consider her husband as closest family is being taken for a ride. :D

I'm curious to know if your wife has ever been in a situation where she has needed to deny a family member's wish/request because of your strong preference in some matter, and therefore done so? In other words, has she proven with her actions what she has told you? For a woman to do that would speak volumes for me.

Maybe my wife is an exception to the rule but I don’t think so.

Right from the beginning of our relationship when I was still green around the gills, she protected me from all that shit.

Just after we were married I bought a little houseshop in Khoksongrong. The place is a little run down but easily renovated. My idea was to do it up and let her family live there a keep a couple of rooms upstairs for us to stay when we visit Thailand.

When we moved to Australia I left enough money in the bank for the work and you know…that money is still in my bank account in Thailand after 3.5 years!

She told me better not spend the money. Just rent it out, her parents don’t need to live there.

Even when we were married and I thought sinsot was necessary she told me to forget about that. Her mother tried it on with me but my wife quickly made it clear to her that no money would be coming from me. And I was actually trying to pay!

Unlike other men on this forum, I can’t get my wife to spend my money on her family, as a matter of fact her whole attitude is “family first” OUR family, me, our son and her!

Maybe it’s different up there in fukuoverburri but it is certainly not the case with my Thai family.

They work hard in their little restaurant on the street and they never ask for our help.

We are all human beings and LOVE…true love is the same everywhere in the world. When a person truly loves someone they will protect them from anyone that means them harm.

I think it’s sad that some people believe that isn’t the case in Thailand.

:):D

Any body have better fictional tales that this?

Just kidding, good for you.... for sure and exceptional case, but you better check and see if she is really Thai.

chai-yo, chai-yo--bravo

who is really number 1 in a typical family?.... lol

my teenage daughter said 'you love your birds more than me! because you always feed your birds first!'

my teenage son said 'you love my sister more than me! because you always buy ice cream for her first!'

my wife said 'you don't love me. you just use me like a buffalo! always running off with my children!'

my mother-in-law said 'why are you always staying home every night taking care of the wife and kids?

go out and have fun in town!!!!!'

my wife's sis said 'what is the matter with you farang kee-nok (ref to bird shit, a thai slang, meaning

worthless). i never get to see your ugly face in my pub at all! have you lost your mind?! everyone

should have some fun sometimes! are you afraid of my sister or something?!'

who is really number 1?

pathetically, in the final analysis, the old fool thinks that he is still #1 forever.... lol

Your birds must be really something!

I don't go with the parents being number one at all. I believe that we owe our children because we decided to have them rather than them owing us because we couldn't sort our own lives out sufficiently well due to our own shortcomings. Parents should be there to advise or help when asked, not to place demands on the kids or try to live their lives through their children.

If a Thai - Thai relationship wants to go along with that mumbo jumbo rubbish then fine, that is up to them, just like believing in non existant ghosts or religion. However, once you introduce a non Thai, then the whole thing changes. You take on board some of their things and discount others and they do the same to you. A western - Thai relationship is not about western guys blindly accepting whatever medieval claptrap the Thais come up with and I'll never be blinded by that. You can't tell me it is not raining when my head is getting wet.

I don't go with the parents being number one at all. I believe that we owe our children because we decided to have them rather than them owing us because we couldn't sort our own lives out sufficiently well due to our own shortcomings. Parents should be there to advise or help when asked, not to place demands on the kids or try to live their lives through their children.

If a Thai - Thai relationship wants to go along with that mumbo jumbo rubbish then fine, that is up to them, just like believing in non existant ghosts or religion. However, once you introduce a non Thai, then the whole thing changes. You take on board some of their things and discount others and they do the same to you. A western - Thai relationship is not about western guys blindly accepting whatever medieval claptrap the Thais come up with and I'll never be blinded by that. You can't tell me it is not raining when my head is getting wet.

Maybe that is why you have found it so difficult to settle in Thai communities. You clearly seem to want to westernise them rather than 'moving towards' their culture. The parents will always remain number one in Thailand - it is so deeply ingrained - if your wife says otherwise then she is only trying to fool herself, or you. Does she actually try and tell you it is not raining ? :)

Just kidding, good for you.... for sure and exceptional case, but you better check and see if she is really Thai.

Now go back and check the contradiction with the original post from LiE ??????

I just hope LiE hasn't fallen off the wagon....

"My wife loves me (because she doesn't want my money). How to make this clear to all the TV suckers with wifes who love their mothers more than their husbands." Worse than a troll, IMO. Even members who usually post interesting and intelligent views get sucked in. Nice job.

Maybe my wife is an exception to the rule but I don't think so.

Excuse me, but when you started this thread didn't you (in your first post) quote:

"One has to come to accept the Asian ways which are self-preservation and care of close family first before considerations for a partner"

I believe this is part of the conditioning a Thai woman will inflict on her farang partner to justify the way she treats him.

Now you make disparaging remarks about some posters who (if only slightly) may concur with the statement you posed. Do you want our input or not?

Don't read me wrong, I am happy you have such an ideal partner. I'm just a bit confused, that's all.

That statement was quoted from another thread!

Notice the bold and the "" ?

All too often I read statements like this on Thai Visa

What are other members thoughts?

Acceptance of the new culture coming into your life is not all enveloping. You adjust to what is acceptable to both of you. She should also be open equally to your culture. If that is too much one way or the other then the relationship is in the crap. Depends if you want to give your brain up or park it in low gear why she conditions (re conditions ?) you... stuff that..the brain can be pleasured but does not need to be locked down for maximum achievement.

Does her family come first? Sometimes. If her dad was seriously ill I would be the first thinking '1st flight back to Thailand' for her. That I see with all family cultures. Rest of the time I am pretty well first, daughter (now ours) would be next in pecking order, then her Dad, then the rest of the Whanau. But big falang is number one. :)

"My wife loves me (because she doesn't want my money). How to make this clear to all the TV suckers with wifes who love their mothers more than their husbands." Worse than a troll, IMO. Even members who usually post interesting and intelligent views get sucked in. Nice job.

Yes, it appear like that Ivo. Throw out some bait, then rub our noses in it.

Notice we didn't get a reply when I point blank questioned his purpose in starting this thread.

"Sensitive Farangs out there"? :)

Over and out. Adios.

Maybe that is why you have found it so difficult to settle in Thai communities. You clearly seem to want to westernise them rather than 'moving towards' their culture. The parents will always remain number one in Thailand - it is so deeply ingrained - if your wife says otherwise then she is only trying to fool herself, or you. Does she actually try and tell you it is not raining ? :)

Guys like you are crazy, culture is important but it takes 2 to tango. No Thai that goes to the west will completely adapt and no westerner who goes here completely adaps. You find middle ground as you do in every relationship.

Some ppl are more flexible then others my wife puts me first and i put her first. Then again i married a young girl university schooled (not that that says much in Thailand). We are not too far apart age wise and i dont support her financialy. Many guys do everything to keep their wife and the wife stays for the money. In a relation like that you can never be put first.

But if there is true love and mutual attraction (not the attraction to your wallet) then a lot of things are possible. In my relationship we don't care about culture we care about logic. Some things from the west are better and some from the east are better. We just take our pick.

Why would i have to assimilate with the local ppl my wife likes me the way i am. Likes my ways more then the Thai ways. Some people make no sense at all. Your wife married you for who you are and if you assimilate you change who you are. Doesnt seem logical to me.

Sure your in Thailand and outward you can adapt a bit to make sure you dont ruffle too many feathers or go crazy but no need to do that in the relationship. I would not want my wife to change into a westerner i like her to be the person i married.

p.s i know you werent posting that comment to me its just that i hate the ACCEPT EVERYTHING AND ASSIMILATE reasoning a bit crazy.

Call me an uneducated farang ogre, but when OP preceded his statements with:

"All too often I read statements like this on Thai Visa..."

Then put it in quotation marks, it was pretty clear that he was referring to what he's read, and not necessarily his own situation.

Pretty clear that some people's spouses usually put them first and some usually don't.

If you start from the premise that there's a scarcity of love and not enough to go round, you'll be forever ranking people if you're not careful, working out who is "dependent on" and who is "independent of" who.

Start from the premise that there's a surplus of love and more than enough to go round and you'll maybe reach a different conclusion that you're "interdependent". I'm convinced no-one in my family "always" comes first, and nor should they.

If pushed I'd say that the missus usually puts me and the kids first these days. Probably due in part to things like our length of time together, depth of relationship, and the difference between past and future.

That said you're being a bit "noi jai" if you feel the need to measure who's top, and that's where one of the problems is.

I really hate the word "farang" I have come to associate it with something bad sorry, I had to get that off my chest and I'm not a "farang" and can live with what the Thais call me but it just seems funny to see white men say it.

Anyway I would say my wife puts our children first and me second after that her family and my family, I think that is the order of things with most woman not just Thai. I would hardly say my wife would sell off our possessions and give the money to her family, not that they need it as they are pretty well off.

You are the farang - get used to it, you will hear it frequently.

It also quickly becomes part of your vocubulary as in "..is that a new Falang in town...?". You do not find yourself saying "..is that a new white male Westerner in town..."

No, I am Indian Dang not Falang, farang whatever. I thought the name Hunkpati (Dakota) might have given that away, well maybe not most people only know Hunkpapa (Lakota).

From a middle class Thai point of view: family first (just like at any level I would assume), but fortunately, there's enough to go around, and situations where we'd be forced to choose between two sides rarely comes up (in fact I don't think anything of that nature has ever come up). Sure, if I only had XX million and it would take take all of it to treat my father vs. my father in law's rare form of cancer, my father in law would be 'allowed' to die (or more likely get treatment with funding from my wife's side of the family). No question about it.

Therein lies the problem. Most foreigners join up with locals where a huge disparity in terms of income/assets exists. The flow of funds from one party to the other is just basic physics in motion.

:)

That is not the case in my "situtation" the MIL is doing just fine, and by most Thai standards she is rich. I come from a family of doctors (physicians) and doctorate hoders (PhD etc) We are by no means poor.

But my MIL has a broom shoved so far up her A$#, I tell you there are some days I just want to kick her in her undeveloped nutz. My brother married a Japanese woman, and his mil was also a constant canker too.... up until she died.

My brother has always been the lucky one in the family.

How??? :D

If the wife loves him.

ahm...isn't that normal?

Maybe my wife is an exception to the rule but I don’t think so.

She told me better not spend the money. Just rent it out, her parents don’t need to live there.

Unlike other men on this forum, I can’t get my wife to spend my money on her family, as a matter of fact her whole attitude is “family first” OUR family, me, our son and her!

Maybe it’s different up there in fukuoverburri but it is certainly not the case with my Thai family.

I think it’s sad that some people believe that isn’t the case in Thailand.

:):D

Ditto. One would think that "the little woman" and other family members would think that their first priority task should be to "presereve and protect" the walking ATM, from which all prosperity flows.

Therein lies the problem. Most foreigners join up with locals where a huge disparity in terms of income/assets exists. The flow of funds from one party to the other is just basic physics in motion.

Heng makes a very good point. Economic disparity between partners probably causes every bit as many marital problems as does any other difference be it cutural, racial, age related or whatever. This probably holds true even more in the West than it does in Asia. Money, either the lackof it or how it is spent is one of the leading causes of divorce in Western societies. From reading many of the posts on this forum it is a leading cause of problems here too.

From a middle class Thai point of view: family first (just like at any level I would assume), but fortunately, there's enough to go around, and situations where we'd be forced to choose between two sides rarely comes up (in fact I don't think anything of that nature has ever come up). Sure, if I only had XX million and it would take take all of it to treat my father vs. my father in law's rare form of cancer, my father in law would be 'allowed' to die (or more likely get treatment with funding from my wife's side of the family). No question about it.

:D

That is not the case in my "situtation" the MIL is doing just fine, and by most Thai standards she is rich. I come from a family of doctors (physicians) and doctorate hoders (PhD etc) We are by no means poor.

But my MIL has a broom shoved so far up her A$#, I tell you there are some days I just want to kick her in her undeveloped nutz. My brother married a Japanese woman, and his mil was also a constant canker too.... up until she died.

Yeah, I didn't mean 'all' by any means. And financial problems are by no means the only ones that can arise (lucky you). Not quite sure how to interpret your broom example and hinting that she might be transgendered fits into the discussion though. You aren't being taken advantage of financially... are they making you sit at the kiddie table or maybe making you do household chores or something?

Edited by Heng

Heng makes a very good point. Economic disparity between partners probably causes every bit as many marital problems as does any other difference be it cutural, racial, age related or whatever. This probably holds true even more in the West than it does in Asia. Money, either the lackof it or how it is spent is one of the leading causes of divorce in Western societies. From reading many of the posts on this forum it is a leading cause of problems here too.

Why the hel_l these guys go and build a house and/or live within less than a days drive of their in-laws is beyond me. Certianly a recepie for trouble here. Livin' in some hick village with drunken, illerate locals, and dozens of soy dogs, chickens, etc, etc.

All too often I read statements like this on Thai Visa

What are other members thoughts?

I think that this is acceptable until Thai wife has kids with partner, then she should forget her previous close family to care about the family she has made.

Yeah, I didn't mean 'all' by any means. And financial problems are by no means the only ones that can arise (lucky you). Not quite sure how to interpret your broom example and hinting that she might be transgendered fits into the discussion though. You aren't being taken advantage of financially... are they making you sit at the kiddie table or maybe making you do household chores or something?

Oh I think they do take advantage of me financially. NO, I do not hand them my money every month..... I work for the family company. But lets shed some light on that. In my field of work, one is required a doctorate degree. With that in mind, I hold the only doctorate degree in the nation in my field, but yet, I am paid less than what I earned while I was in high school working for Radio Shack! Befor Thailand, I was in the states earning 6 figures.... I was promised the moon to get me here, 20 hr work week, 75K etc etc...

Now, I work 6-7 days a week, and earn what most English teachers earn!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes, I have a seat at the kiddie table.

Rather than my son visiting his father at "His office" he goes to "Yai's office, and visits daddy." Freaking crazy, I work hard to richen a former rice farmer!

So yes, I see my wife choosing her family over our family EVERY DAY.

Fortuanatley after 4 years of this, the wife is starting to see that the only folks getting rich from us being here, is her family... (they drive the nice new cars, own land, have homes etc) so she is starting to talk about returning to America.

Great timing witht he economic colapse and all.....

Well, in my family I know exactly who rates how and where they stand in the ranking.

My Thai wife had a previous marriage...and she had 3 children by him (he left her). So he's out, exit the stage.

Her children from her first marriage are her first priority, and always will be. Flesh of her flesh,you might say.

Then there is a grand daughter, who is next after her 3 children.

Her father (now passed away) had 3 wives. Her biological mother and father would be next, but they both have passed away now. So they have "exited the scene" also.

As her second husband, I now come after those above in the pecking order.

My wife's younger sister (1 year younger) is just after me. They grew up together in Bangkok, and shared experiences.

The other two wives of her father, and her half-brothers and half-sisters make up the tailend of the pack.

The "pecking" order is quite clear, and it makes sense to me, too.

Thai family or not, in this case it runs on biology, and nothing else.

Husband first? That is a joke??? :D

I have just shown this posting to my wife and then asked her who comes first. She said and I quote ''who you think, before I marry my family now this family.

So I guess the joke is on you bud!! :)

Joke is on me/ LOL.

Look at the reality of the family structure here before saying that.

. You clearly seem to want to westernise them rather than 'moving towards' their culture. The parents will always remain number one in Thailand - it is so deeply ingrained - if your wife says otherwise then she is only trying to fool herself, or you. Does she actually try and tell you it is not raining ? :)

Why would i have to assimilate with the local ppl my wife likes me the way i am. Likes my ways more then the Thai ways. Some people make no sense at all. Your wife married you for who you are and if you assimilate you change who you are. Doesnt seem logical to me.

Sure your in Thailand and outward you can adapt a bit to make sure you dont ruffle too many feathers or go crazy but no need to do that in the relationship. I would not want my wife to change into a westerner i like her to be the person i married.

p.s i know you werent posting that comment to me its just that i hate the ACCEPT EVERYTHING AND ASSIMILATE reasoning a bit crazy.

robblok - please note my choice of the words "moving towards" as far as culture is concerned.

If a 'foreigner' goes to live in, say, the UK I would expect them to adapt/move first to the laws/culture of the UK. I recall a long time ago the situation of a Siek who refused to wear a motorcycle helmet because HIS religion required him to wear a turban and this prevented him being able to also wear a helmet. Tough sh!t, if you can't adapt/abide by the laws of the country in which you choose/are allowed to live then don't ride a motorbike !!

In Thailand, I think we Westerners have a duty to at least partly embrace some of the Thai ways/culture. Otherwise we are isolating ourselves and missing out on some of the better features of this country. We certainly do not have to accept everything - indeed, challenge some activities could actually be educational.

I hate the extremes - the westerner who tries to become a pseudo-Thai the moment he steps off the plane and cannot see anything wrong with country and the Westerner who has no affinity with Thailand, thinks all Thai females are BGs and believes that no Thai male should be allowed on the countries roads until they can at least spell Highwaycode :D He lives in his Western style house, mixes almost exclusively with expats and only eats Falang food. He could be in any country in theworld, Thailand is just the current stopping-off place.