Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is a link to the Norwegian financial newspaper Dagens Næringsliv who warns against the same scam.

Only in Norwegian though. Have a look it is surprisingly lengthy..

http://www.dn.no/forsiden/utenriks/article1708607.ece

J.

English translation of the newspaper article (google translate) is this:

Watch out for tax scams Taxfree-shoppere in Thailand is svindlet - apparently with the tourist police assistance.

Espen Bjerke

Published: 20.07.2009 - 11:42 Oppdatert: 20.07.2009 - 14:36

The British Embassy in Thailand are warning passengers that shopper in the new international airport Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.

BBCs website says Monday about what the British ekteparet Stephen Ingram and Xi Lin, IT-experts from Cambridge experienced earlier this year.

While the two struck ihjel some time to go in tax-free shop at the airport two security guards who would see through the bags to the two with the accusation that a wallet was stolen. The bag was checked but nothing was found on the two. Despite this, the two taken away from the arrivals hall, back through the check-in and imprisoned in the airport police office.

The two were still beskylt to have stolen, even though the tourist police found no loot for the two.

Tourist pair had to stay in a prison cell Ingram describes as a "warm, damp, smelly cell with graffiti and blood on the walls".

Faced with the infamous prison

The day after came "Tony" up, an English translator who works as a volunteer for the Thai tourist police. Then they had two in a three-hour meeting with the local Police where the only issue, according to Ingram was how much money they have to pay to go free.

The two were threatened with being transferred to the notorious Bangkok Hilton prison and several months of remand prison if they are not paid. The English tourist was threatened to pay 75,000 dollars to the police to get out, writes the BBC.

Then the translator, took them to an ATM in the police where about 30,000 dollars was taken out. Then they were allowed to take in at a hotel under house arrest until they had transferred a further 45,000 dollars to translate the account. Five days later, tourists had transferred the rest of the money, and the two were released, writes the BBC.

Many svindlet

According to the Thai family's attorney was the victim of a classic scam in Thailand. BBC has contacted the local Police who deuce their hands and say the relationship between the couple and the translator is a private affair.

The translator Tony admitted to BBC that he so far this year has "helped" some 150 tourists in trouble with the police. British authorities now warn British tourists to go around in the tax area with the goods before they are paid because it can result in arrest and imprisonment.

Similar stories experienced recently a Danish and an Irish tourist.

Danish Børsen writes that a Danish woman would view a mascara or lebestift to a friend of tax-free shop and moved with the goods in hand. She was arrested by the Thai police because she had crossed an invisible border shop. The woman was convicted of retail theft.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you all get the message loud and clear, LOS doesnt care a fig about tourist (as is well evidenced) we are only 6% of their GDP - so get real.

As for their countries reputation, what is the world perception? Do I need to spell that out, what a joke, in fact my family insist that I never mention the T word in polite company or the neighbours will think Im a peddlefile

The hard core traditionalist would be very glad if we flangs would disappear, they really dont want you on their precious land

There is an upsurge of desperately greedly petty officials trying to scam the rapidly shrinking honeypot. So when they get you they cream you because their next opportunity may not be for months.

Finally its going to get worse their secret hatred is deeply ingrained and when the credit crunch really strikes later this year, they will blame us for destroying their economy (course they might be right there - oh well - do I care?)

I only wish Abhisit would grow a set of balls, so he could do something about these problems. In reality, he is probably the only one who could

actually effect the situation, and cause the people in charge to lose their jobs. In most other countries an organization as corrupt and heinous

as King Power would lose their monopoly for allowing a scam like this to take place. The airport authority chief should be fired, the King Power

CEO should lose his job, and heads should roll. Will that happen here? Of course not. The Thai authorities seem to have no interest in eliminating

corruption. In Malaysia, they set up an anti-corruption commission. Every day they are arresting corrupt officials, and sentencing them to harsh

jail sentences. That is making a statement. That is instilling fear in other officials. Here, they have nothing to fear. They are ignored. It takes an

incident like this, where the courageous Danish Consulate makes a statement and brings this to the attention of the press, to create the potential

for improvement. I hope I am wrong, but it feels like the glory days of Thailand may be behind us, unless someone of courage comes in, and

really makes an issue over the treatment of foreigners, the police corruption, etc.

In reality, Abhisit owes his position as PM not to the electorate, but to Newin who ordered his poodles (known as the Friends of Newin) to switch sides and join Abhisit's coalition.

Newin is a major shareholder in King Power, so the likelihood of the emasculated Abhisit being able to do anything to curb KP's scams are next to nothing. As another poster has already pointed out, KP had been ordered out of the airport for their corrupt practices by the previous Government, but as soon as Abhisit assumed power they were left alone! Does it all remind you of the Santika tragedy? Corruption, corruption and endless corruption! Where are all the Abhisit admirers, who told us that the new Democrat government would be squeaky clean?

Bullshit.

I was duped by this sad, sad story. I was so incensed that I went to KingPower's web site to write them a nasty note (http://www.kingpower.com/2009/index.php) when I see they are running the videos.

The Chinese broad STOLE the wallet and the Brit puffter helped her do it.

They ought to get jail time - they are screwing it up for the rest of us.

You are completely missing the point here.

The point is that it is completely unacceptable to extort large sums of money from people regardless of whether they have committed a petty crime or not.

King Power employees MUST know about this and be complicit in the extortion. There is likely a kick back to the manager of the store or this wouldn't happen.

If King Power claim this isn't the case then maybe they would like to explain why none of the shoplifters are prosecuted and the cases mysteriously dropped by the police despite the evidence. They publish this video evidence of the British guy yet took no action, this demonstrates that someone inside the company knows all about it, why else would they allow them to go free when they have the evidence to secure a conviction and compensation through the courts.

This story will help to destroy King Power, and rightly so.

YES YOUR RIGHT.you make a very good point,this got all the TELL TELL sings of a Scam.

In reality, Abhisit owes his position as PM not to the electorate, but to Newin who ordered his poodles (known as the Friends of Newin) to switch sides and join Abhisit's coalition.

Newin is a major shareholder in King Power, so the likelihood of the emasculated Abhisit being able to do anything to curb KP's scams are next to nothing. As another poster has already pointed out, KP had been ordered out of the airport for their corrupt practices by the previous Government, but as soon as Abhisit assumed power they were left alone! Does it all remind you of the Santika tragedy? Corruption, corruption and endless corruption! Where are all the Abhisit admirers, who told us that the new Democrat government would be squeaky clean?

Abshit may well be squeky clean, however the people who have helped him inot power most certainly aren't. If you swim in a sewer, you're going to come out covered in shit, and Thai politics and authorities are big sewers of corruption. They are a disgrace, and the sad thing is that the majority of the population accept it- hence the reason it keeps repeating.

Anyone that thinks that the Thai tourist sector is thriving must be living in cuckoo land, but I'm pretty sure a few of those members will be along to defend it soon and also side with KP.

There is another thread in this section about the infamous " Thailand Elite Card "

and the latest is that Thailand Privilege Card (TPC), operator of the Thailand Elite Card is

joining with King Power International, operator of duty-free shops, to offer promotions

encouraging member spending while in Thailand. :D

You should read this also because its another excellent example of how disingenuous

the Thais really are :-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Perks-Thaila...5&start=175

These are people who have already been duped out 1 million baht and some

are even threatening a class action against the government !!

Maybe this is another way of shutting them up ........lure them into them into the King Power outlet

and them locked up :)

TIT :D

Yes, I saw that in today's Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/rea...word=Elite+Card

It's priceless. I'm sure it will assuage the lack of facilities and benefits available from the Elite card. Are they kucking fidding?

I'm afraid that this is just a tip of some icebergs.

The videos shown prove nothing except that this incident with the man who took the item from the desk after it was scanned in by the cashier and placed on the desk.

I didn't see the woman taking anything apart of placing back an item she has looked at at the wrong place(at the other side of the shelve).

SOMETHING MORE DISTURBING FROM SOMEBODY WORKING IN THIS PLACE:

The current government's slogan is "take what ever you can crap by whatever means because we're not going to be around for much longer".

For instance staff in various ministries are deeply distressed about corruption and how they are forced to lie and alter documents.

An example: A budget of 2 million Baht was approved for a project to repair roads and improve infrastructure in a school in the North East, whereas the final bidder received one million Baht only for doing the job. This leads to low quality workmanship amongst other problems. The remaining 1 million Baht(a breathtaking 50% of the whole budget) disappeared into private pockets by altering the documents as fully paid sum of 2 million Baht for the whole project.

And of course from the remaining 1 million Baht the final bidder has also to come up for the entertainment of (lower in the hierarchy of corrupted) officials like restaurant, massage and boom boom on a weekly base (2 - 4 times a week until project finished).

A thorough research in these local establishments would reveal the truth even more.

A further news item, I don´t think this has been linked already:

Examiner

Duty Free shopping scam at Bangkok airport

Some travelers passing through Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport have been hit by an emerging scam by unscrupulous Thai police – accusations of shoplifting that lead to thousands of dollars in bribes to secure their release from charges of theft.

Foreign embassies in Bangkok have confirmed an alarming number of nationals, among them travelers from Europe, Asia and Australia have fallen victim to the scam - and ultimately forked over more than 10,000 dollars to police and lawyers to cover bogus ‘fees’ and ‘fines.’ King Power, the leading Duty Free shop at the airport is where the scam originates, and even passengers passing through on short transit stops have been targeted.

It goes to show how important it is, no matter where you travel, to carry embassy contact information in case you fall victim to a scam or other problem while on the road.

I would never think to carry embassy contact information with me.

Particularly in a place such as an International Airport, people should feel completely safe from this type of behaviour.

Edited by davee58

the trick to surviving Thailand is don't drop you guard but don't become paranoid Thai law is Thai law it don't work but

that's not out of place for a Asian country

i doubt very much all these cases are so innocent for sure its a good job they where not in some of the country's where they still can cut your hands of for theft and that's what it is when you leave a store without paying for goods that belong to them yes it seems they are milking it but who is at fault think about it

Thais are not perfect and neither are some falangs

In continuing to speculate upon whether or not someone actually did steal from King Power, people here are missing the point. The scam is police extortion practised on the guilty and innocent alike without any regard for what may pass for due process of the law in Thailand. In extracting as much money as possible from their victims the police prey upon their quite warranted fear that they could be held hostage to the vagaries of the Courts for over a year.

The extortion racket operated at the new airport for over the past 2 years has involved at least 150 victims netting the local police estimated proceeds of over £2 million.

Frankly, the King Power incidents currently under microscopic examination are red herrings and only serve to deflect attention from the real culprits.

That is why the Danish warning is so important. The Thai Police have quite rightly been accused of systematic corruption within an international forum by a foreign government. Let us not lose sight of that.

In time to come King Power and the Thai Establishment will do its level best to churn out whatever propaganda it can to tarnish the scam's victims in the hope the real issue is obscured.

Don't play into their hands.

What is required are websites of western embassies and consulates to warn of the threat by "law enforcement persons" to their money. Maybe somehow it will get through to some people at the top. Thailand will NEVER get away from its reputation of cheating and corruption and the good honest Thais , the poor people will suffer , as they always do in any country when the Corrupt and powerful remain immune and wealthy.

What is required are websites of western embassies and consulates to warn of the threat by "law enforcement persons" to their money. Maybe somehow it will get through to some people at the top. Thailand will NEVER get away from its reputation of cheating and corruption and the good honest Thais , the poor people will suffer , as they always do in any country when the Corrupt and powerful remain immune and wealthy.

the main trouble i feel is tourists that take a 2 week holiday with there eyes closed tits and <deleted> hanging out no respect to them selves our others playing the big i am card

if you where in London our new york you could find the same scammers looking for easy meat like this

i doubt you will change Thailand they are not soft like us westerners

the current Thai government are of the opinion if you don't like it p-ss of in fact even if you do still p-ss of

welcome to thailand

The video is pretty clear as to what happen! There's no deception here. It's posted on Youtube. Again people start bashing without knowing all the facts. Fairly standard on the board.

youtube.com/watch?v=RbEN13z9Be0

You're right, it's crystal clear, I'll summarise it for you :

Hundreds of tourists have been accused of shoplifting (irrelevant if they did it or not), instead of being booked and charged with a minor offence something else happens.

Then they are kidnapped and falsely imprisoned in a hotel while the corrupt officials and a foreign outsider who masquerades as a negotiator attempt to extort as much money as they can from you with threats of further imprisonment if you don't comply. A payment is then made by the victim and then they are released.

It seems very clear to me.

I agree with you in principle, but really, who in their right mind shoplifts in a foreign country, and a third world one at that. And the guy's whinging about missing his mother's funeral! Well that takes the cake! 'Never mind I might get lifted for this and miss my mother's funeral, I want that wallet goddamit!' I mean it's not as though they're pissed up teenagers doing it for a lark is it?

It seems pretty clear to me they shoplifted. It's abundantly clear they're as completely stupid as anyone else who nicks a bloody trinket at an airport in a third world country and deserve everything they get, regardless. Idiots.

Edited by wilsongbrown

In continuing to speculate upon whether or not someone actually did steal from King Power, people here are missing the point. The scam is police extortion practised on the guilty and innocent alike without any regard for what may pass for due process of the law in Thailand. In extracting as much money as possible from their victims the police prey upon their quite warranted fear that they could be held hostage to the vagaries of the Courts for over a year.

The extortion racket operated at the new airport for over the past 2 years has involved at least 150 victims netting the local police estimated proceeds of over £2 million.

Frankly, the King Power incidents currently under microscopic examination are red herrings and only serve to deflect attention from the real culprits.

That is why the Danish warning is so important. The Thai Police have quite rightly been accused of systematic corruption within an international forum by a foreign government. Let us not lose sight of that.

In time to come King Power and the Thai Establishment will do its level best to churn out whatever propaganda it can to tarnish the scam's victims in the hope the real issue is obscured.

Don't play into their hands.

The point(s) you make have been reiterated several times in this thread, yet I'm glad you did reiterate the matter further because there are numerous apologists who repeatedly try to shift the focus and the actual wrongful acts and behaviours to the farang.

So, again, whether or not there is shoplifting in the airport, far worse is the organized, brazen and lawless scam Thai police and other officials are imposing against farang. It's a grotesque and shameless abuse of government authority, the due process of law and of the law itself.

It consitutes but one more indictment of such Old World customs and traditions and of their practitioners and apologists.

We are mostly all familiar with the saying 'set a thief to catch a thief', but the rule here seems to be 'licence/empower a thief to rip off as many thieves as possible'. That way we can all get rich! Stealing from a shop or not, is beside the point, the main crime here is legalised extortion. Not a pleasant choice if the Bangkok Hilton is an alternative to paying the (law)?

TD

We are mostly all familiar with the saying 'set a thief to catch a thief', but the rule here seems to be 'licence/empower a thief to rip off as many thieves as possible'. That way we can all get rich! Stealing from a shop or not, is beside the point, the main crime here is legalised extortion. Not a pleasant choice if the Bangkok Hilton is an alternative to paying the (law)?

TD

the reason these scams are going on is the fact as you point out the scammed are not so innocent and do rightly have fear of been thrown into jail till trial

so if your honest and don't steal then you should be ok and if your not then your in trouble so do the time our pay for your crime literally seems a little harse but that's life

the moral to this story is don't steal our you will regret it

i wonder also if the shop girls are deducted thefts from salary every month if so this could be a reason why there have been so many spotted

If the countrys small police is corrupt it is a real danger for the normal people and tourists and at the end of the day its really not safe here.

goooooood morning and welcome to THAILAND it is not and will never be SAFE here in western understanding!! Do you ever ask a "normal" Thai how

many times he/she have gone to the police? Even in emergencys they know they are on their own. Thais are happy to see their Police....FROM BEHIND

In Germany Police calls itself your friend and helper...... wanna know what Thaipolice calls itselft :)

Anyway, it keeps life adventurous and that is why most of you are there...or not? For the case itself I only hope it spread around the newspapers all over the world, congratulations to the Danes, at least THEY have the balls!

The scam is police extortion practised on the guilty and innocent alike without any regard for what may pass for due process of the law in Thailand.

That is why the Danish warning is so important. The Thai Police have quite rightly been accused of systematic corruption within an international forum by a foreign government.

Indeed.

The syllogism that if one is innocent then one hasn't anything to worry about is, to the detriment of all, often repeated and actually believed.

The history of jurisprudence, and of politics and government, constitutes a clear record of the innocent being led to the gallows, of political opponents being imprisoned or even worse and of the quirky but innocent being persecuted. As one such immediate instance, look at Toxin's three month "anti-drug" rampage. (And why for three months?)

The saying is a dangerous and false cliche.

A recent, personal, experience when I knew that I was in the wrong BUT!

I think all will be explained in this email.

Did I even receive a reply, from the crook, did I hel_l!

Dear Sir,

On Wednesday June 17th, I was stupid enough to attempt to bring 2 (two) cartons of cigarettes into Thailand, above my duty free allowance – wrong, yes, but hardly a "hanging" offence!

Arising from this, though, are a few major worries.

· I had, obviously, been "targeted" (I do not know why) as the minibus in which I was travelling, to Udon Thani, was stopped by your Excise Officials about a kilometre from The Friendship Bridge and I was the ONLY person asked to open my bags.

· I was travelling with another two ferangs (American) and one Laos/Thai girl and NONE of those were questioned, or asked to open their luggage!

· I was taken off of the mini-bus and driven to the Excise office, in Nong Khai, where I was subjected to extortion of money with menaces (if I did not pay what they wanted I would be taken to Police Station, locked up and never be allowed to come to Thailand again).

· My travelling companions had used their duty free allowances, on my behalf, but these agreements were totally discounted by your staff, who seemed to view the whole episode as one big joke!

· After agreeing to pay a "fine", for which demands started at 47,000 Baht, then reduced (with discount) by 50%, to 23,500 (approx) then again to 18,430 Baht (after I showed that they were unable to use a calculator) they then told me that they would, also, keep all of my cigarettes. I said NO WAY , take me to the Police Station and they then changed their minds and said I could retain them!

· I was only two cartons (they agreed) over the allowance for four people, but they wished to penalise me for everything above my individual allowance.

· So, after ascertaining that I only had 15,000 Baht, in my pockets, I was driven to an ATM to get the additional cash. I would add, at this point, that I was asked by my "minder" how much I had withdrawn and I told him to "mind his own business", because I felt he would then attempt to take all of it!

· After returning and paying the agreed amount (I thought that I could argue later) I then met yourself.

· Not only did you proceed to put the money in your own pocket, with the 70 Baht change (I had handed over 18,500 Baht) coming from the pocket of one of your subordinates but, also, then stole four cartons of my cigarettes and then went berserk (mad) when I demanded them back.

I thought, O.K. I can report you to the police for demanding money with menaces and theft but, after being driven to the Police Station, I discovered this was easier said than done as I still had "minders" and was not allowed to spend any time with a policeman alone!

I did though place MY comments on the report, to that effect, although at that stage I did not know your name and was only told that after we had left the police station!

I must, also, add that in your office I had been told to sign a number of documents, which were written in Thai with no translation offered, PLUS a blank page in what looked like a ledger. I can, only, imagine the way that these items will be utilised!!

· I cannot believe that Nong Khai Excise wish to be known as a disgrace to Thailand, with people who DO NOT kao jai Thai Law being allowed to control it.

· You have, actively, demonstrated that the way you and your team operate is a joke and it would not surprise me if very little (if any) of the "fines" imposed ever reach the Thai Treasury and you should, therefore, never be allowed to occupy ANY position involving cash!

· My "receipt" (00169) shows 18,700 Baht paid, for the 18,430 Baht you received – That, alone, casts huge amounts of doubt upon matters and should make your accounting interesting – although, maybe, you don't worry about that at all!

· You acted like a thief – no more, no less!

I can NOT believe that any sensible Thai person would wish his (and his teams') conduct to gain a wider audience, on the internet, thus adding to Thailand's current problems with tourism, but if you wish that I will be more than happy (but would be, equally sad) to accommodate you!

I think that I have, always, shown great respect to Thai people (no matter what their social standing) and for Thai culture etc. and (maybe) because of this have enjoyed equal respect from Thai people and have a number of good Thai friends.

I love the people, I love the country, I love the way of life etc., but this is something I cannot and will not accept!

I have lived in Thailand for, nearly, three years and am familiar with the "Tea Money" scams but that is, normally, for around 100/200 Baht and they can, possibly, be understood considering the low, basic, pay of Thai policemen.

This, though, is totally, unacceptable and (unless resolved) will ensure that I leave the Kingdom, never to return.

Prior to doing that, however, I will ensure that this matter is investigated by both the Police and your superiors in Bangkok, which is something I do not believe you would welcome!

I would add that Khun Pharadorn Phongsuwan, at Nong Khai Customs is, already, aware of this matter as I reported it to him on June 18th, thinking that Customs & Excise are one department, as in the U.K.

I want my money back (that I paid in excess of Thai law) my cigarettes back and an official apology!!

In Saudi Arabia they cut the hands off of thieves – Maybe that policy should be adopted here!

I will await your response with interest.

Name withheld.

The name of the man I sent that to?

Khun Pradung Inchaiya who (guess who) turns out to be the guy who gave me the hassle - who is (supposedly )the Director of Excise in Nong Khai!

I was, I will admit, in the wrong, BUT this guy (and his team) are nothing more than bent sharks!

:)

Please, before anyone has a "go at me" read up on Thai law - I may have "bent it" but what I did was, perfectly legal!

If anyone wishes me to quote it "verbatim" I will/can do.

:D

I am, currently, laiaising with Mrs. Sirinuch Phisolyabutr, who is (supposedly) the head of the Thai Excise Department.

We will see what happens and (I promise) you will be the first (but not the last) to know.

In contrast to this post I have an interesting but probably unusual tale

Soon after SVB opened I was returning to Thailand and was also carrying 2 cartons of Cigarettes quite openly hanging over the trolley handle. A couple of customs guys stopped me and said I was over the limit - I apologised and pleaded ingnorance about the limit and they suggested I went back to baggage reclaim and asked someone else to bring a carton through for me.

I didn't fancy doing that so decided to go through the red channel, quite prepared to have them confiscated. I was bringing my golf clubs in with me and they suggested I opened one of the cartons and hid the packets in the pockets of the golf bag. I was a bit hesitant about this so they actually hid them for me and waved me through.

I dined out on that story for a while having customs official hide my contraband for me. I later heard that the airport police were running the airport and they were searching people and taking bribes after coming through customs. The customs guys hated this and did everything they could to thwart the police.

When I got outside there was no taxi rank and was accosted by a driver in a legitimate cab who told me that every time he arrived at the airport he had to pay a bribe to go into the short term car park which was costing him about 10k a month.

As we all know the scum even rip off the taxi drivers who can't earn all that much - not just us Farangs

That is why the Danish warning is so important. The Thai Police have quite rightly been accused of systematic corruption within an international forum by a foreign government.

and the Thai police are probably not the most corrupt/costing the most to the people of Thailand - so if we are missing the "big picture" here , you are not pointing in the right direction.

the issue here for most people here is not the corruption of the Thai police , that is taken as a given , but is there a risk - how high - of being innocently caught up in the corruption.

A recent, personal, experience when I knew that I was in the wrong BUT!

I think all will be explained in this email.

Did I even receive a reply, from the crook, did I hel_l!

Dear Sir,

On Wednesday June 17th, I was stupid enough to attempt to bring 2 (two) cartons of cigarettes into Thailand, above my duty free allowance – wrong, yes, but hardly a "hanging" offence!

Arising from this, though, are a few major worries.

· I had, obviously, been "targeted" (I do not know why) as the minibus in which I was travelling, to Udon Thani, was stopped by your Excise Officials about a kilometre from The Friendship Bridge and I was the ONLY person asked to open my bags.

· I was travelling with another two ferangs (American) and one Laos/Thai girl and NONE of those were questioned, or asked to open their luggage!

· I was taken off of the mini-bus and driven to the Excise office, in Nong Khai, where I was subjected to extortion of money with menaces (if I did not pay what they wanted I would be taken to Police Station, locked up and never be allowed to come to Thailand again).

· My travelling companions had used their duty free allowances, on my behalf, but these agreements were totally discounted by your staff, who seemed to view the whole episode as one big joke!

· After agreeing to pay a "fine", for which demands started at 47,000 Baht, then reduced (with discount) by 50%, to 23,500 (approx) then again to 18,430 Baht (after I showed that they were unable to use a calculator) they then told me that they would, also, keep all of my cigarettes. I said NO WAY , take me to the Police Station and they then changed their minds and said I could retain them!

· I was only two cartons (they agreed) over the allowance for four people, but they wished to penalise me for everything above my individual allowance.

· So, after ascertaining that I only had 15,000 Baht, in my pockets, I was driven to an ATM to get the additional cash. I would add, at this point, that I was asked by my "minder" how much I had withdrawn and I told him to "mind his own business", because I felt he would then attempt to take all of it!

· After returning and paying the agreed amount (I thought that I could argue later) I then met yourself.

· Not only did you proceed to put the money in your own pocket, with the 70 Baht change (I had handed over 18,500 Baht) coming from the pocket of one of your subordinates but, also, then stole four cartons of my cigarettes and then went berserk (mad) when I demanded them back.

I thought, O.K. I can report you to the police for demanding money with menaces and theft but, after being driven to the Police Station, I discovered this was easier said than done as I still had "minders" and was not allowed to spend any time with a policeman alone!

I did though place MY comments on the report, to that effect, although at that stage I did not know your name and was only told that after we had left the police station!

I must, also, add that in your office I had been told to sign a number of documents, which were written in Thai with no translation offered, PLUS a blank page in what looked like a ledger. I can, only, imagine the way that these items will be utilised!!

· I cannot believe that Nong Khai Excise wish to be known as a disgrace to Thailand, with people who DO NOT kao jai Thai Law being allowed to control it.

· You have, actively, demonstrated that the way you and your team operate is a joke and it would not surprise me if very little (if any) of the "fines" imposed ever reach the Thai Treasury and you should, therefore, never be allowed to occupy ANY position involving cash!

· My "receipt" (00169) shows 18,700 Baht paid, for the 18,430 Baht you received – That, alone, casts huge amounts of doubt upon matters and should make your accounting interesting – although, maybe, you don't worry about that at all!

· You acted like a thief – no more, no less!

I can NOT believe that any sensible Thai person would wish his (and his teams') conduct to gain a wider audience, on the internet, thus adding to Thailand's current problems with tourism, but if you wish that I will be more than happy (but would be, equally sad) to accommodate you!

I think that I have, always, shown great respect to Thai people (no matter what their social standing) and for Thai culture etc. and (maybe) because of this have enjoyed equal respect from Thai people and have a number of good Thai friends.

I love the people, I love the country, I love the way of life etc., but this is something I cannot and will not accept!

I have lived in Thailand for, nearly, three years and am familiar with the "Tea Money" scams but that is, normally, for around 100/200 Baht and they can, possibly, be understood considering the low, basic, pay of Thai policemen.

This, though, is totally, unacceptable and (unless resolved) will ensure that I leave the Kingdom, never to return.

Prior to doing that, however, I will ensure that this matter is investigated by both the Police and your superiors in Bangkok, which is something I do not believe you would welcome!

I would add that Khun Pharadorn Phongsuwan, at Nong Khai Customs is, already, aware of this matter as I reported it to him on June 18th, thinking that Customs & Excise are one department, as in the U.K.

I want my money back (that I paid in excess of Thai law) my cigarettes back and an official apology!!

In Saudi Arabia they cut the hands off of thieves – Maybe that policy should be adopted here!

I will await your response with interest.

Name withheld.

The name of the man I sent that to?

Khun Pradung Inchaiya who (guess who) turns out to be the guy who gave me the hassle - who is (supposedly )the Director of Excise in Nong Khai!

I was, I will admit, in the wrong, BUT this guy (and his team) are nothing more than bent sharks!

:)

Please, before anyone has a "go at me" read up on Thai law - I may have "bent it" but what I did was, perfectly legal!

If anyone wishes me to quote it "verbatim" I will/can do.

I am, currently, laiaising with Mrs. Sirinuch Phisolyabutr, who is (supposedly) the head of the Thai Excise Department.

We will see what happens and (I promise) you will be the first (but not the last) to know.

In contrast to this post I have an interesting but probably unusual tale

Soon after SVB opened I was returning to Thailand and was also carrying 2 cartons of Cigarettes quite openly hanging over the trolley handle. A couple of customs guys stopped me and said I was over the limit - I apologised and pleaded ingnorance about the limit and they suggested I went back to baggage reclaim and asked someone else to bring a carton through for me.

I didn't fancy doing that so decided to go through the red channel, quite prepared to have them confiscated. I was bringing my golf clubs in with me and they suggested I opened one of the cartons and hid the packets in the pockets of the golf bag. I was a bit hesitant about this so they actually hid them for me and waved me through.

I dined out on that story for a while having customs official hide my contraband for me. I later heard that the airport police were running the airport and they were searching people and taking bribes after coming through customs. The customs guys hated this and did everything they could to thwart the police.

When I got outside there was no taxi rank and was accosted by a driver in a legitimate cab who told me that every time he arrived at the airport he had to pay a bribe to go into the short term car park which was costing him about 10k a month.

As we all know the scum even rip off the taxi drivers who can't earn all that much - not just us Farangs

my god another falang who bends the rules and then moans stop bringing more cigs into los then your allowed the warnings have been up for the last couple of years and its pretty normal to be stopped

coming down from nong khai hello you broke the law you are at fault if there was a problem you should have phoned the tourist police simple

An excellent post of an absurd personal experience that one can appreciate thanks. Witty and wise. Sympathetic too towards Thai working stiffs such as the taxi drivers.

Is Thailand becoming more lawless (if possible) or might it just seem to be so?

Edited by Publicus

Stuck, I had the SAME problem with The scumbags in the Animal control centre when I brought my Dog from The UK 14 Years ago,FOUR of the Bas*ards DEMANDED 5,000 Baht EACH before they would sign the release forms ( All Other Paperwork in Order ) My Thai Wife & I asked The Sh*thouses "What would happen if I refused to pay the TEA Money ) They All laughed and said......Nothing apart from YOUR Dog will just DIE......Heartless Cu*ts.......

To all expat, foreinger

i suggest not to come to Thailand and for those who already came, don't buy anything here, don't even walk near the shopping store, it is danger and may cause you imprison for years or loose your money as much as 10,000 Lb or more or you would never hv a chance to see your mother or children again in your life time. I have told my customers stop coming to thailand. shit..

I will never buy anything or enter the duty free stores in the airport.
This is the best you can do anyway. Bangkok's Duty Free Shop is a joke! Just forget about it, it is by far overpriced. If you want to buy something, do it before you go to the airport, or at the Family Mart near the Check-In counters.

I believe these days it is much more "dangerous" for thai people do scams like this because of the internet. The word will spread out very fast and I will let you know an example.

Im from Finland and I read from this forum yesterday about the topic. After that I sent a hint about this to one of the 3 main news medias in Finland. After few hours there was a frontpage news/warning about these scams at the channel 3 website. And now I can see that people are linking that news to very popular forums all around Finland.

What we can do is that we can all go to our countries popular newspaper/website portals and send hints of these scams and warn the people.

By the way Thailand has been the no.1 travel destinations for Finnish travellers couple years but what Ive read the boards now, it seems that its not going to be that anymore. Sad for the honest people who run the tourism businesses in Thailand.

It looks like the cup is overfilled. We are not going to take this anymore.

Common sense anybody? You've been warned. Avoid KP. IF you shoplift/bring in excess fags n booze expect problems. However TIDT...This is disgusting Thailand.

Policeman wanted money from me for driving too fast. I was doing 70k on a 90k road! He was serious, so I stuck my arms out in front of me, wrists together and told him to arrest me and take me to the station. Shat 'imself and sent me on my way.

Moral: IF you aint done wrong, ride it out, there's nothing they can do. After having said that, after this disgusting episode, I suppose they would probably even resort to planting items on you. That wouldn't be difficult if you were taken somewhere other than a police station, and yes, before somone says it, they probably could still do that at the station.

Serious bad press press for Thailand (again).

Gun firmly pointed at foot, finger on the trigger. :) Thailand. [edit] Redcard for the people behind this shocking behaviour, embarassing and helping to destroy their own country.

Edited by beerchang