Penang Visa Run Update

...go to a language school and get the paperwork. Then go to Laos or Cambodia to get 15 month ED Visa (five times extensions every 90 days in local immigration with papers from the language school, no border runs needed)..

You’ve got the part about the “15 month ED Visa” wrong. The scenario you describe would be getting a single-entry non-ED visa, then every 90 days get an extension of stay for 90 days, as long as you continue your studies. No limit of 15 months.

--

Maestro

You've got the part about the "15 month ED Visa" wrong. The scenario you describe would be getting a single-entry non-ED visa, then every 90 days get an extension of stay for 90 days, as long as you continue your studies. No limit of 15 months.

--

ED Visa is valid for one year, after which you have to apply for new one outside Thailand BUT you can use it up to 15 months (90 days * 5 extensions).

If you are extending at immigration every 90 days all you need is a single entry ED visa. Your first 90 day stay is extended, and again, and again.

A multi entry visa would not require any extensions of stay - but would require you leave the country eveny 90 days and return with a new 90 day stay.

If you are extending at immigration every 90 days all you need is a single entry ED visa. Your first 90 day stay is extended, and again, and again.

Could this be continued for a number of years without having to leave Thailand?

If you need to leave Thailand temporarily, can you get a re-entry permit on that type of visa?

Could this be continued for a number of years without having to leave Thailand?

If you need to leave Thailand temporarily, can you get a re-entry permit on that type of visa?

Yes, easily 5 years and then you can start studying soemthing else. Doesn't have to be Thai language.

You can also get a re-entry permit on this type of visa. But the rule is that you have to study 4 hours a week on avarage. o leacving the country will mean extra stuy during other weeks.

It seems that the post about recent changes at the Penang Thai Consulat has turned into an endless stream of complaints and criticisms, with very little useful information being posted. I'm starting this thread for news and real information about the current Penang visa run situation.

If you want to complain about Thai visa rules, Thai Consulates, or thailand in general, or complain about people who are complaining, please go post on this thread instead:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Penang-Touri...html&st=275

If you have any real information, experiences, or advice, please post it here. Let's try to keep this post about QUESTIONS and useful INFORMATION please ....

I'll start with my own question:

According to a post on TV a few days ago, the Thai Consulat in Penang was proported to be refusing to issue new tourist visas to people who already have 3 visas in their passport. Has anyone actually been to the Thai Consulat in Penang to confirm that this is true?

and if so ...

I'm heading to Penang next week with the intent to get a new tourist visa. I only have one recent thai tourist visa in my passport (my current visa, which expires next week), and another one from the last time I was in Thailand about a year ago.

Does anyone know for a fact (and not just speculating) that I will, or will not get another visa issued to me in Penang. Is the trouble only for those who have tried to get 3 or more successive toursit visas?

Thanks!

Michael

With an ironed shirt, long decent trousers, shaved, a briefcase under my arm I had no problems whatsoever in Kota Bharu. They wanted to give me a single entry, but I handed the fee for a double entry over the counter. My passport had been in a washing machine and it was really hard to find out, when I had been in Thailand or somewhere else, considering when I enter the EU, or leave it, I will get no stamp. There were no questions asked. I could pick up my visa the next morning.

But as you might imagine, I did look very different from the average of those travellers asking for a visa. And I was superpolite with a smile for everybody behind the counter.

Hope that helps.

It seems that the post about recent changes at the Penang Thai Consulat has turned into an endless stream of complaints and criticisms, with very little useful information being posted. I'm starting this thread for news and real information about the current Penang visa run situation.

If you want to complain about Thai visa rules, Thai Consulates, or thailand in general, or complain about people who are complaining, please go post on this thread instead:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Penang-Touri...html&st=275

If you have any real information, experiences, or advice, please post it here. Let's try to keep this post about QUESTIONS and useful INFORMATION please ....

I'll start with my own question:

According to a post on TV a few days ago, the Thai Consulat in Penang was proported to be refusing to issue new tourist visas to people who already have 3 visas in their passport. Has anyone actually been to the Thai Consulat in Penang to confirm that this is true?

and if so ...

I'm heading to Penang next week with the intent to get a new tourist visa. I only have one recent thai tourist visa in my passport (my current visa, which expires next week), and another one from the last time I was in Thailand about a year ago.

Does anyone know for a fact (and not just speculating) that I will, or will not get another visa issued to me in Penang. Is the trouble only for those who have tried to get 3 or more successive toursit visas?

Thanks!

Michael

I have just been to the Thai consulate in Penang with only one tourist stamp in my passport the tour company assured me I would get issued another tourist stamp. 100%

When I handed over my passport they said I had a two day overstay and I had to wait six months before they would issue me another tourist stamp. I tried to get some sense out of them then they changed the reason for turning me down, saying that it was because I extended my previous two month visa for one month in Phuket Town Immigration. They said extending my visa within Thailand means that I cancel out my chances of getting a tourist stamp from Peneng for six months.

They are just making it up as they go along now. I even offered a bribe but they refused. Now I have 15 days to find the money and a company to write me the appropriate paperwork for a non b or I have to go home. What is wrong with Penang.

As someone who only had one tourist stamp in his passport and was well within the limit to still be turned away means that they are now denying tourist stamps as a policy full stop.

I reccommend avoiding Peneng like the plague even if you have only one stamp they can screw you because there are no rules, they are just turning people down randomly. BOYCOT PENANG

Hi, I got my Visa rejected yesterday in Penang. I have 3 tourist visa. One from 2007, 2008(double-entry), 2009. But the reason I got from a friend, with contacts with the visa-workers, was because of the fact that I made an extension, I was rejected. According to him, several tourist visas would not be a problem as long as you not make any extensions.

Anyways, I live in both Samui and Surat Thani. Where would you suggest me to go? Now I only have 12 days left on my "visa on arrival". So I have to do something quick, I refuse to join the "overstay club" or buying a Visa from a private person.

I've heard Vientiane in Laos is a good place to go because, they nothing like Penang, and you can get double-entry visa. Any suggestions how to get there from Samui or Surat Thani? I imagine bus or train takes at least 1-2 days?

Any suggestions for domestic flight comparing site? I've found loads of them when I searched the Internet, but no one seems to work properly.

Thanks!

Just for information : I had 5 back2back single entry tourist visa in my passport without overstay or extensions, and I was almost certain that they wouldnt give me a new one, so I did a lot of checking on Chulia st, penang. Both the Indians and Banana have their fair share of problems with new visa, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I went to banana where their fee is 50 baht compared to NJ's 200. 4 of the passports where rejected that day at banana, but mine wasnt one of them. So now I have 6 b2b TR S visa in my passport. Dont know why. I just feel really lucky after reading these posts.

"without overstay or extensions"

This seems to be the keywords.

Yup just got back from KL after getting knocked back in Penang with 2 Penang 60dtv +extensions..amazingly professional in KL ..no "attitude" night and day compared with Penang. Only one photo needed too.

Maybe they will close Penang soon since they obviously call their own tune re work level?

Wish there was some consistency..

ah well back to my Tourist Visa "home" now ...happy happy.. :)

Anyone notice that this probably is related to free visas?

If they are giving free visas there is no longer any insentive to be generous.

I never liked the free visa idea.

Very stupid idea!

Anyone who needs to come to thailand will not complain about paying 1000bhat for a two month visa.

This is valuable income for thailand.

I think they never bothered to check with foreign tourists to get their opinion but I cant imagine any tourist thinking Wow a free two month visa I think Ill go to thailand!

Are there any visa agents in KL similar to the ones you find on Chuilia Street in Peneng?

Not that I know of, but it's really easy to DIY, the embassy is fairly near an LRT station. In my experience they are very professional, just a bit of waiting around.

• 1 month later...