Studying Thai Language

eek

I wonder if we could give our opinions and experiences of Thai Language courses around Chiang Mai as this question seems to pop up a lot?

If we can compile a decent list and reviews/ratings then hopefully it can get pinned in the FAQ's section, making it easier for those of us who wish to study Thai on different levels to decide which place to go to. I think it would be worth mentioning approx costs (or any websites available) and which courses offer the Ed Visa also. Also any tips or things worth noting (distance, parking, whatever). (edit: I didnt think about wheelchair access harry, good point!!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal experiences (click links for websites/maps etc):

Payap University - Intensive Thai Program

This was my first taste of Thai Language study, and to be honest, although a brilliant course, i found i wanted to study at a softer pace. Great course for those who wish to dive in at the deep end. My main problem however was transport. I did not have my own transport and Payap Uni is quite far out from the town. However, easy parking if you do have transport. The course was 3 hours from Monday to Thursday (in the end i didnt complete the full course!). Payap also offer a course which covers the Ed Visa requirements. I think wheelchair accessible, but best to check with school.Map

YMCA - (they seem to be updating their site at present.)

I did Beginners 1 and 2 courses here and not expensive (i recall around 2000 baht per course) . I found the pace gentle. 2 hours, 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Gave me time to absorb the class content and study. Enjoyed the classes. May go back again for the advanced course and/or writing course. They do not have courses which cover the Ed Visa requirements. I saw parking for Bicycles/scooters/motorbikes, but didnt notice any easy parking for cars. Not wheelchair accessible (ground floor, yes, but upper floors where classes are held are accessible by stairs only.) Map

Other threads on this topic:

General topic on courses

Regarding Ed Visa

Edited by eek

CMU Language Institute

I Month Beginners Course

5000 baht

Excellent introduction to spoken thai with plenty of practice. Well worth it

I Month Advanced

5000 baht

Depends entirely on the people doing the class.

I Year Visa Course

30000 baht

Excellent instructor but the course is spoiled as are probably most visa courses by non attendance by people who probably just want the visa. Another factor I do not like is that they add new members to the class who have not done the same things as have been done in the course and this slows things down.

The school is accessible to wheelchairs has a disabled toilet and has parking.

Edited by harrry