Being "waied"

thaiman

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :D

It wouldn't happen if it was me. I've never wai'd anyone, then again I'm not Thai so it's not expected.

This would be different if I was representing a company dealing with other Thai companies, but I'm not so I don't.

Never wai'ed anyone? Then I consider you a edur drawkcab reknaw. Plus I find it unbelievable that you've never wai'ed 'anyone'. You ever been to Thailand?

I've been here over 4 years; so far never wai'd a single person, probably never will. ..

From your post, my question is

Are you:

1. trying to make a point? :)

2. showing us just how much you've embraced your "thai-ness"? :D

3. attempting to impress us with your obviously superior intellectual grasp on the inner workings of things in the glorious "Land 'O Thais"? :D

4. none of the above? :D

Another question to you is; have YOU ever been to thailand?

Been here 7 years. So you have never, ever wai'ed, not even once, not even when you 1st came here, for the 1st time and had people wai you and you have never wai'ed back?

Offer me your hand mate so I can refuse to shake it. Sorry but I don't believe that you have NEVER wai'ed anyone, ever.

P.S. All of the above. :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can see, nobody has yet answered the poster's question. Therefore, let me try. You should take it as a compliment that your girl's family didn't wai to you since that means they already accept you as part of the family. Family members rarely wai to each other except to make a particular point, usually a thanks as opposed to a greeting.

Some Thai people don't wai farang because they do not want to inconvenience them with an unfamiliar greeting in much the same way as they don't want to serve them spicy food. However, a wai does make a big difference to a Thai person in the way they perceive foreigners, especially officials. I have never had trouble with amy officials in Thailand, quite the contrary in fact, and I attribute this to my waiing. Even officials at Suvarnabhumi airport who had obviously approached me for some reason tell me to carry on without asking whatever question they had intended to ask the very moment I wai. This seems to tell them more about a farang than a thousand words or answers to questions ever could.

Farang should know that it is ok for them to wai waitresses, petrol attendants etc on arrival as a greeting, but not on departing even though the waitress, petrol attendant etc should wai them. You only wai them on departing if they went well beyond the call of duty, such as a petrol attendant who decided to clean all the windows and not just the windscreen.

Politeness and respect are important in Thai society and the wai is a sign and a measure of this. You are being judged by these two factors. No wonder therefore that so many farang get ripped off.

As far as I can see, nobody has yet answered the poster's question. Therefore, let me try. You should take it as a compliment that your girl's family didn't wai to you since that means they already accept you as part of the family. Family members rarely wai to each other except to make a particular point, usually a thanks as opposed to a greeting.

Some Thai people don't wai farang because they do not want to inconvenience them with an unfamiliar greeting in much the same way as they don't want to serve them spicy food. However, a wai does make a big difference to a Thai person in the way they perceive foreigners, especially officials. I have never had trouble with amy officials in Thailand, quite the contrary in fact, and I attribute this to my waiing. Even officials at Suvarnabhumi airport who had obviously approached me for some reason tell me to carry on without asking whatever question they had intended to ask the very moment I wai. This seems to tell them more about a farang than a thousand words or answers to questions ever could.

Farang should know that it is ok for them to wai waitresses, petrol attendants etc on arrival as a greeting, but not on departing even though the waitress, petrol attendant etc should wai them. You only wai them on departing if they went well beyond the call of duty, such as a petrol attendant who decided to clean all the windows and not just the windscreen.

Politeness and respect are important in Thai society and the wai is a sign and a measure of this. You are being judged by these two factors. No wonder therefore that so many farang get ripped off.

And so the pseudo-thai's finally wake up... :) ......what a load of <deleted>, now I understand why the middle-aged, pot-bellied Farangs make such tw*ts of themselves in Thailand....they read cr*p like this before they arrive in Pattaya to find their new wives from Issan... :D

ps...Welcome to Thai-Visa

Edited by Soutpeel

hey what do you know the OP finally got a clear answer

Read post #48 dude! :) And the underlined section of your post is absolute clap-trap! 1st time you meet they should wai, after that...up to them and don't be fussed about it! You know dam well if you are liked or respected in this grown up world by their actions.

And wai'ing petrol station attendants.....oh come on! I don't think I need to say anything more, just let the other rational (sometimes!) posters on here get to you about that.

I've come to the conclusion that the "wai" is really a non-issue concerning foreigners.

Foreigners that Thai's have no respect for yeah... :)

Exactly! Weather they wai or not I think their attitude towards foreigners is clear.

I've come to the conclusion that the "wai" is really a non-issue concerning foreigners.

Exactly! Weather they wai or not I think their attitude towards foreigners is clear.

Not all of 'them', thaiman. Not all.

Not all of 'them', thaiman. Not all.

Not all of "them" just most of "them".... :D

And so the pseudo-thai's finally wake up... :) ......what a load of <deleted>, now I understand why the middle-aged, pot-bellied Farangs make such tw*ts of themselves in Thailand....they read cr*p like this before they arrive in Pattaya to find their new wives from Issan... :D

ps...Welcome to Thai-Visa

:D

And so the pseudo-thai's finally wake up... ......what a load of <deleted>, now I understand why the middle-aged, pot-bellied Farangs make such tw*ts of themselves in Thailand....they read cr*p like this before they arrive in Pattaya to find their new wives from Issan...

Now that's funny dude! How did I miss that one? :)

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :D

It wouldn't happen if it was me. I've never wai'd anyone, then again I'm not Thai so it's not expected.

This would be different if I was representing a company dealing with other Thai companies, but I'm not so I don't.

Never wai'ed anyone? Then I consider you a edur drawkcab reknaw. Plus I find it unbelievable that you've never wai'ed 'anyone'. You ever been to Thailand?

I've been here over 4 years; so far never wai'd a single person, probably never will. ..

From your post, my question is

Are you:

1. trying to make a point? :)

2. showing us just how much you've embraced your "thai-ness"? :D

3. attempting to impress us with your obviously superior intellectual grasp on the inner workings of things in the glorious "Land 'O Thais"? :D

4. none of the above? :D

Another question to you is; have YOU ever been to thailand?

Hope you read my previous post in reply to your......comments. This is just for you dude...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJhNrGamRQ

Enjoy! :D

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :)

Expected to. This all depends on your social background here. Certainly if you've been around for a while, naturally intermingling forever, there comes a time when a close circle of people know that you know better when it applies to social customs. It's certainly expected {even instinctive] for some old hands. As I don't depend on nor have such desires to seek out Farang social circles and the proverbial 'fixes', my connections aren't instinctively to view what a closeted foreign community might find typical or an 'issue'. Farang usually bring with them, rhetorical social complexes into a culture that already richly complex.

Read post #48 dude! :) And the underlined section of your post is absolute clap-trap! 1st time you meet they should wai, after that...up to them and don't be fussed about it! You know dam well if you are liked or respected in this grown up world by their actions.

And wai'ing petrol station attendants.....oh come on! I don't think I need to say anything more, just let the other rational (sometimes!) posters on here get to you about that.

I think you nailed it here: "up to them and don't be fussed about it! You know dam well if you are liked or respected in this grown up world by their actions."

It's not weather they wai or not. It's in the way they react and act towards someone even if a wai is given.

I rarely Wai myself.

I should hope not!! Every time you see yourself in a mirror, or a reflected glass window, how on Earth would you know who deserved more respect, your good self or the reflected image :D

You would be there for all eternity in some shop window, wondering which image would stop first :)

Edited by Mossfinn

When I travel I don't feel the need to adopt local customs, why would I ? That would just be strange and in a way it would be like acting and prentending to be someone I'm not.

Far too many people want to assimilate themselves into the local culture, I'm the opposite, I carry on as normal regardless of where abouts I'm located. This works well for me.

That said I'm respectful and polite to people at all times (in my own British way) and I find that good manners and politeness really help me get the best out of any situation wherever I am.

Oh, and I have no idea what 'edur drawkcab reknaw' means.

Edited by ukrules

When I travel I don't feel the need to adopt local customs, why would I ? That would just be strange and in a way it would be like acting and prentending to be someone I'm not.

Far too many people want to assimilate themselves into the local culture, I'm the opposite, I carry on as normal regardless of where abouts I'm located. This works well for me.

That said I'm respectful and polite to people at all times (in my own British way) and I find that good manners and politeness really help me get the best out of any situation wherever I am.

Oh, and I have no idea what 'edur drawkcab reknaw' means.

Good manners are the key,wai just when i feel.

I must say i have a soft spot for Asian old traditions,for me is a kind of accomplishment to be able to live and work here.

So no effort for me to wai here and there.

Out of curiousity,Mr.ukrules i would like to know who is the guy depicted in your avatar,i think i saw the painting but i can't recall :D

Saying that tho, some Thai's don't like foreigners in general and will not wai unless it's absolutely required. Others have no beef with foreigners and probably don't really expect a wai in return unless they realise you've been over here for quite some time, but will wai you out of protocol.

I wai to my mother in law, and wife's grand father.

This out of respect.

Some of my friends (and wife's friends) always wai to me, and I reply with a simple wai back.

Friends of friends (or other strangers) that wai to me will normally get a smile and a nod back.

This to be polite.

I know the Thais do not expect us to wai back, as it is not our tradition, but at least they expect some sort of hello back.

I believe it is the same here as most countries, where most of us are raised to be polite to other people, so we say hello (or wai), even if we do not like the person.

I agree, as one of the other members mentioned, a farang waiing another farang, that would be a strange sight indeed.

Also, kind of silly when one see a farang enter a bar or restaurant, and he starts waiing to all the staff as soon he is inside. That I have seen a lot of here.

To wai or not to wai...

Up to you :D

:D

RAZZ

P.S I've wai'd a couple of people. Ex-gf's teacher and her aunt...after a dig in the ribs from her :)

And a few waiters/waitresses I've known for about 5 years in my regular hang-out. They wai me and I return it.

Oh...and I wai'd the multi-millionaire Thai/Chinese guy who owns the hotel (amongst other things) I used to stay in :D

But I probably would never wai a serving girl I didn't know, shop worker, go-go hostess etc etc. A smile will suffice.

As they say, when in Rome. :D

Edited by RAZZELL

95%....what do you do, say, act upon, or display that should garner respect from 'them'?

If the truth be told, absoultely nothing... Conversely, I don't do anything that would cause them to disrespect me either. And as such when on occasion I bump into the local cop's for instance, they wai me, and of course get one back. :D

Where are you from zzaa09?

Well maybe the 'pseudo-thai' amongst us are at least interested enough in the topic to have taken the time to learn something about the complexities of the Wai instead of just trash talking the whole culture down. Personally it will be a welcome change. Let the cynics sit on the sideline and take cheap shots, 'cause that's all they are

Well actually I have taken the time to learn something about the complexities of wai's and Thai culture in general have done some extensive courses and training in cross-cultural management in Thailand, so have had it basically from the horses mouth so to speak...Thai basically dont give a rats ar*e whether a farang wai's or not and are not offended in the least if a farang if doesnt follow "Thai cultural norms"

As was stated to me on these courses by a Thai national in a very senior position, you are an expat not Thai, we dont expect you know the "Thai cultural norms"....."Thai cultural norms" are for Thai's...

Before spouting off about people taking cheap shots, and suggesting people should take time to learn about another culture, suggest people should learn a few things about their own culture first...for example how many farangs on TV know the origin of the handshake ?, which is "western cultural norm"....again based on the above courses, this proved a big dicussion point amongst the Thai nationals of how the handshake came about....

In addtion, have a few friends and collegues who are Farangs who actually are Thai citizens, and their comment....dont worry about it...as to pseudo-thai label...again based on comments from these individual..."We are farangs, even though we are thai citizens, We will never be accepted as being fully "Thai"....why try and be something you are never going to be...

I personally dont try to slag off Thai culture, but what I do accept...Thai culture is for Thai's, ..so based on that I have no intention of trying to be a "pseudo-thai" and it would appear that some farangs who are actually are Thai citizens dont try to be "pseudo-Thai" either.

Think the main point is be yourself and stop trying to be something your not, and never will be... :)

Wow Man. You're a genuine Cultural Commando. Keep it up! You obviously know the whole deal.

The security guard at my office building salutes me every morning. Must be my haircut.

WOW...No wai, my I suggest then you contact "Mr Johnson" to go to your office to instruct the Security guard on accpetable Thai cultural norms then.... :D

BTW Does the security guard have a whistle ?.....as believe this is cultural norm as well... :)

As a foreigner, should one expect to receive a "wai" from Thai friends and family when being introduced the first time? (In this scenario the foreigner is clearly older than the people he is introduced to).

Also, if a wai is not shown, what conclusions can be drawn from this if any?

Depends on how foreign you consider yourself to be.

I would turn that around. Re the OP question, it depends on how foreign the Thais consider you to be.