Being "waied"

thaiman

As a foreigner, should one expect to receive a "wai" from Thai friends and family when being introduced the first time? (In this scenario the foreigner is clearly older than the people he is introduced to).

Also, if a wai is not shown, what conclusions can be drawn from this if any?

Absolutely.. If they don't they have no respect for you. :)

And just how many farang do you think that a Thai has respect for "SFA"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a foreigner, should one expect to receive a "wai" from Thai friends and family when being introduced the first time? (In this scenario the foreigner is clearly older than the people he is introduced to).

Absolutely.. If they don't they have no respect for you. :)

And just how many farang do you think that a Thai has respect for "SFA"

That entirely depends on you and on your position in society and on the milieu you are living in.

I get waied by different Thais from all levels of society every day, because of my position AND my behaviour. And I certainly wai back, if hands are free, if not, smile and short nod. And I can see in the eyes of every Thai, which I wai back/nod positive .

acknowledgement for that!

OP, yes you certainly should get a wai from them. Reasons for not getting that can be various. One thing is for sure: It's very impolite!

Foreigners that Thai's have no respect for yeah... :)

95%....what do you do, say, act upon, or display that should garner respect from 'them'?

If the truth be told, absoultely nothing... Conversely, I don't do anything that would cause them to disrespect me either. And as such when on occasion I bump into the local cop's for instance, they wai me, and of course get one back. :D

Where are you from zzaa09?

Surin. The real world. :D

Depends on how foreign you consider yourself to be.

I would turn that around. Re the OP question, it depends on how foreign the Thais consider you to be.

OK. Fair enough. Well corrected....

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :)

It wouldn't happen if it was me. I've never wai'd anyone, then again I'm not Thai so it's not expected.

This would be different if I was representing a company dealing with other Thai companies, but I'm not so I don't.

Never wai'ed anyone? Then I consider you a edur drawkcab reknaw. Plus I find it unbelievable that you've never wai'ed 'anyone'. You ever been to Thailand?

When I travel I don't feel the need to adopt local customs, why would I ? That would just be strange and in a way it would be like acting and prentending to be someone I'm not.

Far too many people want to assimilate themselves into the local culture, I'm the opposite, I carry on as normal regardless of where abouts I'm located. This works well for me.

That said I'm respectful and polite to people at all times (in my own British way) and I find that good manners and politeness really help me get the best out of any situation wherever I am.

Oh, and I have no idea what 'edur drawkcab reknaw' means.

Dude, if you don't wai a Thai when they've wai'ed you, you are being extremely rude. So no, you aren't respectful and polite at all times.

As for the thing you have no idea about...read it backwards.

Dude, if you don't wai a Thai when they've wai'ed you, you are being extremely rude.

BC, You are wrong with that statement, think it should read if you dont acknowlege the wai, you are being rude, you can acknowlege a wai without actually wai'ing, ie nod of the head etc

Not according to my Thai wife Sout, whom I always consult before posting as I am not an 'expert', although i've picked up a few nuggets of info in the 7 years i've been living here, about the country, people and culture. Also, this thread is about 'the 1st time you meet a Thai'. I agree wholeheartedly that if you know someone well enough you don't need to wai...back to the 'nod' and general politeness routine.

Cheers

Not according to my Thai wife Sout, whom I always consult before posting as I am not an 'expert', although i've picked up a few nuggets of info in the 7 years i've been living here, about the country, people and culture. Also, this thread is about 'the 1st time you meet a Thai'. I agree wholeheartedly that if you know someone well enough you don't need to wai...back to the 'nod' and general politeness routine.

Cheers

OK..think we will agree to disagree on this one.. :D ...as I have been told a different thing by my Thai wife, and as we know with all wives in all situations they are always right.. :) ..so not worth getting in a p*ssing match over.

Like you dont profess to be a "Thai Expert" and have lived/worked here nearly 8 years so also picked up a few things over the years, luckly none where STD's... :D

Cheers

OK..think we will agree to disagree on this one.. :D ...as I have been told a different thing by my Thai wife, and as we know with all wives in all situations they are always right.. :) ..so not worth getting in a p*ssing match over.

Like you dont profess to be a "Thai Expert" and have lived/worked here nearly 8 years so also picked up a few things over the years, luckly none where STD's... :D

:D:D You'll do fer me!