Being "waied"

thaiman

As a foreigner, should one expect to receive a "wai" from Thai friends and family when being introduced the first time? (In this scenario the foreigner is clearly older than the people he is introduced to).

Also, if a wai is not shown, what conclusions can be drawn from this if any?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a foreigner, should one expect to receive a "wai" from Thai friends and family when being introduced the first time? (In this scenario the foreigner is clearly older than the people he is introduced to).

Depends on how foreign you consider yourself to be.

This post should be fun....every pseudo-thai on TV will be passing comment... :)

Absolutely.. If they don't they have no respect for you. :)

Depends on how foreign you consider yourself to be.

Please elaborate.

Definately for the 1st time you meet family and meeting new people. The more familiar you become the less it occurs though. I've been here a while and family and myself never wai each other but we always talk. If they ignore you, that's the worst insult IMO.

Watch the Thais is my advice. They seem to know when you do and when you don't need to wai.

This post should be fun....every pseudo-thai on TV will be passing comment... :D

.....probably been hashed over to death here, yes? :) Expect all the 'Thai experts' to surface.....

Edited by zzaa09

This post should be fun....every pseudo-thai on TV will be passing comment... :)

Fun?! Did you read my previous post? You need to visit the jokes section of this site dude! Bit more fun than listening to 'Thai expert expats'. :D

if you are wai then wai back. However don't be a c*nt and start wai-ing every thai you see. :)

I'm embarrassed for these types that seem to find it necessary to wai everyone and anyone regardless of the social situation.....stumbling along as to get along.

if you are wai then wai back. However don't be a c*nt and start wai-ing every thai you see. :)

and this is an answer to the original question?

From the previous posts it sounds like it is a sign of disrespect when no wai is given. Is it really a big deal not to receive wai as a foreigner?

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :)

Aw man, you made me laugh then! When they do it, it's done so awkwardly. It's frickin' hilarious eh? It's like they're thinking, 'I'd rather punch myself in the face than subject myself to this. Hilarious. :D

From the previous posts it sounds like it is a sign of disrespect when no wai is given. Is it really a big deal not to receive wai as a foreigner?

thaiman. Read my 1st post. An addition to that is that when you know someone well enough a polite nod of the head is enough. Again, follow the Thais lead. Not everyone wais everyone all the time. If I wai'ed the mother in law evrytime I saw her she'd think I was mad mate!

Why...are you so worried about this, or is it a case because you are a farang you expect the natives to bow down and kiss your feet everytime you walk in a room, so a case of the natives disrepecting the baaas...

Britmaveric comments are very sound advice...please dont be a c*nt and wai every Thai you see, also learn to wai properly, nothing worse than a middle-aged pot bellied farang who is not quite sure which country he is in...Thailand or Japan, with their combination wai-bows....looks so fukcing stupid...

If memory serves my outlaws wai'ed me once when I first met them, these days they shake my hand..

Wai dont wai...I dont personally give a sh*t if they do or dont, They wai me, I will wai back..

My experience has been when arriving home after a long period away its normal for the arriving farang and Thai to wai equals and elders first. Younger people will wai the new arrival first. On departure the same applies. During the stay the only wais will be when someone who wasn’t there during the arrival comes to visit.

In more formal situations I found younger will wai older first. The exception to this is when bosses are involved. The lower status wai first regardless of age. It’s also usual to wai daily on arrival and departure.

or is it a case because you are a farang you expect the natives to bow down and kiss your feet everytime you walk in a room,

Britmaveric comments are very sound advice...please dont be a c*nt and wai every

I don't expect anything. I'm just curious about the etiquette when being a foreigner (if there is one).

I'm not asking for advise. I'm asking a question.

Also, I'm not concerned about when to give a wai. I'm interested to know that if a wai is not given, in the scenario in OP, does this have any subtle hidden meaning?

thaiman. Have you read my posts? They kinda answer your question.

yes, thanks. I agree with you.

The smile and politeness speak volumes here. You know yourself if someone is being polite wether in Thailand or Timbuctoo.

However it has been put, there's been no bad advice or question answering here. (had a coule of funny parts too!)

The only time I wai is if i'm Wai'ed otherwise smile and nod slightly (not a Japanese bow!)

thaiman. Have you read my posts? They kinda answer your question.

yes, thanks. I agree with you.

The smile and politeness speak volumes here. You know yourself if someone is being polite wether in Thailand or Timbuctoo.

However it has been put, there's been no bad advice or question answering here. (had a coule of funny parts too!)

The only time I wai is if i'm Wai'ed otherwise smile and nod slightly (not a Japanese bow!)

To make the wife happy when it comes to the inlaws I always wai Yai but everyone else gets a whats up ?

Farang waiing Farang....such a sight! :)

It had never occurred to me until I read your post that this ever happens - I've consulted with mostly all Thais or mostly all farangs, but not in Thai-run companies, so there wasn't any impetus for farangs to wai much of anything and the Thai people seemed to have adapted to just waiing one another and not waiing us. Where is it that farangs are waiing farangs? Is this a bunch of teachers or students at a Buddhist retreat or something? I have to see this, heh.

I never wai my wifes family, my hands need to be free to protect my wallet

:):D ....So very very true, keep your hands in your pockets at all times around the outlaws, no wai's or handshakes, just a nod will suffice

Edited by Soutpeel