Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Foreigners are the main target...

I thought I read "Victory Monument and Ratchaprasong Junction?"

I don't think foreigners are the main target.

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

j.

Plenty of expats in VM me being one, there are quite a few teachers living around here also as this is an educational hub. We also have the Century Park Hotel nearby so plenty of farang shoppers at the local VM market.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago in Germany if you got caught jaywalking then you got a fine........ likewise in Spain.....

No idea now but years ago in France a pedestrian crossing was thought to be painted on the road at the safest place to cross, but only if no cars were coming, as there was no law in place for cars to stop at a pedestrian crossing......

Funny one in Toronto down town, traffic light pedestrian crossing, start walking the moment the green man light up, he starting flashing 1/2 way across, the last 2 lanes of cars you had to try to avoid as they had already starting moving because there light had turned green...

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

Good luck finding one :)

2 ways to quickly put a damper on this...

1) Have every 200 baht fine written up properly.

2) Ask a policeman to show you to a crosswalk as often as possible, then request

they see to it that you are able to cross safely while they enforce the crosswalk.

1. not checking the million a drunk drivers at night, I never seen them checking after 4 years

Try Tonglor after 01:00 in the morning, juts in front of the police station in Tonglor. Try also the exit of the tollway (at the tall gates) from Don Muang to Ding Daeng and praise the Lord and Buddha if you get trhough...

2. child labour

forced or free?

3. prostitution

There is no prostitution in Thailand. Everyone likes to f@@ck

4. taxis going 140 at night, after 10 bottles of MROI

And what about the tuk-tuks in Patong (Phuket) starting a ride at 200 THB?

5. motorists ignoring red light ALL THE TIME

It's only a little bit red when they go through...

and what will be 6. ? You're right!!!

What's happening just lately in Thailand....there's been a list of new laws lately, most of which wont be policed, or an unenforceable. This is another fine example of a ridiculously irrelevant rule.

Give me bridges, zebra crossings, drivers who will stop....and then I'll heed this rule. There's nothing of the sort anywhere near to where I live.

It might be good if police sets a good example by themselves. Often I see police on motorbikes crossing full white lines, driving through red lights when there is no emergency and breaking many more traffic regulations than I can think of in this short period of time. Some (in-office) police officers drive motorbikes and don't even have drivers licenses!

I have no problem with fining people for breaking the law but it would be good to start to set a clear example and start with cleaning up the police force itself. Once that happens, people will automatically have more respect for laws and regulations.

To all the people who are whining about this new rules and complaining that the Thai traffic police targeting and scamming foreigners.

I just ask, are you driving a car? If so you would know that the most of the victims at police checkpoints and police actions are motorcycles, Pick-ups and trucks. You can witness this all over the kingdom.

And not cars and certainly not foreigners they are NOT and I repeat NOT special targets of the boy's in brown. I drive a lot in Bangkok and upcountry, and yes, a few times I was stopped by the police doing something wrong, but seldom pay a fine or tea money, believe it or not(up-to you :) ). Sometimes even joking with me about it.

Most of the cars have film, so police can not even see the face of the driver before they open the window, so how they can know that the driver is a foreigner? BTW I didn't put film, so they can see my face from a far, maybe that's why I seldom stopped by them :D

Don't forget that from August 1th you have to stop when an pedestrian cross the Zebra crossing and if not, will get a fine.

So overall this new enforcement of the law is a good thing, and hopefully will bring some discipline in the Bangkok traffic hel_l;

BTW in most EU countries crossing a street not using Zebra crossings or pass overs is fined also and its much more expensive than in Thailand.

I get the feeling that many of TV whiners and complainers are suffering from a mild(?) form of paranoia.

Around my soi theres very few crossings, you could walk for 30 minutes before you can find one...

So i think that they should make crossings in populated areas and increase the number of trashcans and also fine the street "restaurant" owners for spilling c*** anytime they please along with the oil and food on the streets... I do not throw litter on the street, but sometimes i am forced to cross the street without the zebra lane because the nearest zebra lane is 2 kilometers away and it is a highly populated area =\

Edited by James3212

The government is coming up with something new about every two days.

They are desperately wanting to stay on center stage possibly because of Thaksin's birthday or it's a diversion for something else.

Of course, I don't believe in conspiracys. :)

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

One solution I invented, living here for 3 years now, is I flick the burning end, off of cigs. when done, step on it to put it out, and then put my cig.butts between the cig pack and the celophane the pack comes in. When I come to a trash can, I remove them and discard in can.

VERY GOOD, A responsible smoker. Thankyou for using initiative. :) ....its not that hard, is it?

Well, the most responsible smokers I had were a couple of long term patients in the psychiatric hospital, they didn't bother lighting the cigs, they just ate them. :D

They are going after jaywalkers again, like they are going after the illegal taxis at the int'l airport, and some other old law/issue from the past...it sounds like the police are either running short on work, need more PR, and perhaps hurting economically....just like everyone else due to the disaster of the Thai economy due to 1) their own politician's actions, 2) the world global recession, and 3) the swine flu.

It's not suprising....parking enforcement is up in many places in the USA for the same reason....the only difference is that much more of the "fines" maybe be going to private use by the "officers"....and perhaps the politicians are trying to find some headlines to make people forget the real problems of Thailand.

I wish I could issue TICKETS ON THE SPOT to policemen who wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle...but do not hook the chin strap.

I wish I could issue TICKETS ON THE SPOT to policemen who wear the old brim style hat and ride all over Bangkok.

I wish I could do breath tests on ALL motorcycle cops for alcohol content while on duty and off duty in full uniform but totally drunk.

I wish I could issue TICKETS ON THE SPOT to all smokers riding motorcycles or auto passengers hanging their arms out the window with lit cigaretes...while I am on my motorcycle trying to breathe and not get burned.

I wish I could write tickets and arrest all the morons who drive and text message at the same time.

Anyone else with me? Lets start a citizens arrest team. I would love to own a portion of Sukhumvit Road like the new TRAFFIC TRAP near soi 34.

BEWARE!!! the BIB are stopping traffic for motorcycles being in the middle lane...no helmets...seat belts...mobile phone use...or any other reason.

I was actually stopped for passing a car that they had just stopped for a seat belt violation. I was told I stayed in the middle lane 3 seconds longer than I needed to pass. ???? This is getting totally crazy.

IAMSOBAD

Don't forget that from August 1th you have to stop when an pedestrian cross the Zebra crossing and if not, will get a fine.

So overall this new enforcement of the law is a good thing, and hopefully will bring some discipline in the Bangkok traffic hel_l;

Henry, would you like to be the guinea pig on using a zebra crossing on the 11th? :)

Whilst, the laws are good, I very much doubt that they will be enforced in the appropriate manner, and the continuing traffic nonsense will continue. If they actually took the fines out of the police remit, whereby they only issued a ticket, and payment was made to a court, then some of the BS might actually be eradicated.

If you didn't jaywalk down here in Phuket you would be on the same side of the road forever.Pedestrian crossings seem to used as targets so they can line up a clean hit on the stripes.

I wish some one would police the litter law down here.

You can always tell when it is the weekend as my local beach area is usually ankle deep in polystyrene containers and plastic bags.They just get up and walk away leaving everything to blow away.I used to think it was lack of education but have come to realize over the years of living here it is just one the laziest races I have known.They will walk around things forever and never think it would be easier just to pick it up.They didn't put it there why should they move it.

The only thing I can see that came out of that Asean Party(meeting) was they cleaned the place up.One week later and its back to normal crap everywhere.

This is NOT a whinge. I have seen people injured and killed on the streets of Bangkok by vehicles due to the lack of enforcement of any reasonable rules. Targetting pedestrians is ridiculous.

WRONG! This is a Whinge pratts, you need to start a NEW THREAD about motorcycles on footpaths (its already been done by the way). THIS THREAD IS ABOUT PEDESTRIANS! :)

All the topics about PEDESTRIANS are linked.

It's about the status of the pedestrian versus the driver.

Since 20 years I'm here I feel the foe is the pedestrian.

What makes me crazy is that the drivers don't remember that 30 minutes ago they was pedestrians.

A pedestrian is just a driver without his car.

A driver is a pedestrian in a car.

Now it would be unfair to generalize. The Thais are like this or like that.

In any countries there is a proportion of reckless drivers. In France it was 50 / 50 in the last century. Now they are only 10 to 20%.

In Thailand the reckless ones are still the majority but this is changing fast... thanks to the women.

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

One solution I invented, living here for 3 years now, is I flick the burning end, off of cigs. when done, step on it to put it out, and then put my cig.butts between the cig pack and the celophane the pack comes in. When I come to a trash can, I remove them and discard in can.

VERY GOOD, A responsible smoker. Thankyou for using initiative. :) ....its not that hard, is it?

No its really not that hard at all. Back home its called use common sense + consider the nonsmokers as I wish them to consider us smokers. Its also called problem solving. As far as j walking is concerned, walking to the closest crosswalk, or sky walk simply means a little more excercise. Too many of us farang, are getting on in years and/or are overweight and should welcome that.

<deleted>?

Hey, I have some yard work over here I need to get done, and a concrete slab I need broken up...why don't you head on over and take care of it? I'm sure you will appreciate the exercise and welcome it. That's called sarcasm.

I thought they were also supposed to be targetting motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians on a Marked Crossing - what happened to that one?

A good idea would be the installation of cameras catching those drivers running a read light and charge them something like 3.000 THB for each breach.

The costs of the cameras would be earned in one single day. With the money earned, zebra crossings with traffic lights could be installed, where pedestrians could press a button and wait for the green light to pass. Also here cameras must be installed, to be able to fine those breaching the law.

These measurements would definitely bring in more money than any other action, and be probably one step forward to reduce the incredible death toll of 18.000 p.a. on the roads of Thailand.

"First men, then machine." - Soichiro Honda

It seems to me, that the Thai government really does not understand how to address traffic and other problems in a professional manner. :)

Foreigners are the main target...

I thought I read "Victory Monument and Ratchaprasong Junction?"

I don't think foreigners are the main target.

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

j.

But at least in America the " walk " and " dont walk " lights work properly :)

This is nothing short of heads I win tails you loose :D

Hey, tourism is slow. The boys in brown need more ways to make ends meet. TIT! :)

Yesterday, while having coffee, I watched a police officer transfer a wad of bills from his front shirt pocket into his wallet while having a cigarette.

I wish I could just pay off the cops at home when I get stopped for speeding on my fast motorbike!

thank god they're finally cracking down on the

most serious problem in the kingdom: JAYWALKONG

as for me, i have immunity with my ELITE CARD

i can jaywalk with impunity

I think they have taken that privilege away as well. :)

In Europe you are tourist for a week, here forever...

Anyway I never heard of a policeman in Italy targeting tourists, expecially when they speak "foreign" languages, for have a bribe, they normally close an eye when a "foreigner" is at fault...

I have a bad knee and find it difficult climbing those extremely steep steps to a pedestrian bridge, and elderly people find it totally impossible. But I've also been hit by a car while jay walking. It hurts, a lot, and hospitals are very expensive. Police should first police the zebra crossings and make drivers give way to pedestrians using them. :)

I wonder if the BiB will be issuing tickets for people walking down the street because the sidewalk is full of tables, chairs, motor bikes parked, motor bikes taking a short cut, chickens , tailors, noodle stalls, etc, etc. ad nauseum?

I seldom jaywalk--it's just very dangerous trying to get across the road, especially if the traffic is moving quickly. When I am driving, I do stop to let people cross in the zebra crossing--providing they are actually in the crossing and the traffic isn't moving so quickly that I get rear-ended. I am amazed at the number of people who can't walk a few meters to use the crosswalk.

I think, however, enforcement is going to be difficult.