Amazon Book

myauq

After many attempts at ordering books from Amazon.com, from all of their international sites, I haven't ever been able to have books sent to Thailand on my order form. Is this common, or is it to do with the books I'm ordering? At the moment I'm interested in stuff on behavoural economics, experimental sociology, history and market research. It's strange because all of the suppliers mention that they can ship to international addresses, and amazon itself says it dispatches to most countries in the world. Perhaps it's the way I'm entering my address.

Anyone...?

After many attempts at ordering books from Amazon.com, from all of their international sites, I haven't ever been able to have books sent to Thailand on my order form. Is this common, or is it to do with the books I'm ordering? At the moment I'm interested in stuff on behavoural economics, experimental sociology, history and market research. It's strange because all of the suppliers mention that they can ship to international addresses, and amazon itself says it dispatches to most countries in the world. Perhaps it's the way I'm entering my address.

Anyone...?

I can't speak for Amazon, but I know there are many internet selling sites that will not ship products to Thailand. I've been trading with one firm for 25 years, first when they were a small mom & pop shop, and stayed with them throughout their growth. I ordered something a few weeks ago, and they wouldn't ship because it was Thailand. The only way I got them to ship was to make them go look up my history with them and use my New Zealand credit card. They made a "special exception" in my case because of my history.

I've seen more and more sites of late that no longer ship internationally without a certified check or wire transfer. My banker back in the States tells me there have been many, many cases of fraud from overseas - not to single out Thailand, but we're on their list.

I tried to get something from NZ recently, and they wouldn't ship. So I shipped it to my son, who is trans-shipping it to me. At least *he* still trusts me, even in LoS :)

I used to order quite a few books from Amazon, and had no problem getting them to ship to Thailand via DHL or FedEx.

The major problem I had was Amazon wouldn't let me order the books as a ‘gift’ to myself. If you order things from them as a gift for someone they don't include a receipt with the price of the books. They said due to it being an international shipment they were bound by law to include the receipt whether it was for a gift or not. Because they shipped it with the receipt I was always hit by an "import tax" which was mysteriously exactly equal to the price of whatever books I'd purchased.

On the amazon website. once you find the book you are interested in there is normally a number of 'private sellers' selling the same book (usually second-hand) for a cheaper price. The private sellers have their own postage policies and most will send to Thailand using regular airmail. The privates sellers are usually much better to deal with.

Trust this helps.

On the amazon website. once you find the book you are interested in there is normally a number of 'private sellers' selling the same book (usually second-hand) for a cheaper price. The private sellers have their own postage policies and most will send to Thailand using regular airmail. The privates sellers are usually much better to deal with.

Trust this helps.

Why not take the obvious solution? Buy an Amazon Kindle e-book reader and download ebooks from amazon.com, usually for $9.99 per book. Plus free books from other websites. No waiting, no shipping, no customs. Price of a kindle just dropped to $399, but you will make it back in savings over time. As you might guess, I love my kindle and view it as the solution to book buying ideally suited for expats.

Edited by CaptHaddock

I've never had a problem with Amazon shipping books, CDs and DVDs to me in Thailand. Been a customer for nearly 10 years and use their US, British and Canadian websites to order. I use Visa issued by a local bank for payment. Last purchase was about three weeks ago and that has already arrived.

I've received at least a dozen books from Amazon in the past two years. Even without paying extra for "rush-shipping" the order arrives in no more than 5 working days. Are you using Paypal ? That seems to grease the wheels a bit...

Anyone...?

There should be no issues with this at all. I have been using amazon.com and amazon.co.uk for maybe 6 years on and off and have had no issues whatsoever with both books and DVD's. I do use a credit card from the U.K though, I don't know how you are trying to pay, is it with a Thai credit card? One thing to check is that you make sure your billing address and ship to address are filled out correctly as they may not be the same. In my case the bill to address is in the U.K (where my credit card is registered) and the ship to address is in Thailand (of course).

What exactly is the issue? they will not send them? it wont accept your address? or they send them and you don't receive them?

As I say I have never had any issues with amazon for years.

Try CDWOW.COM they ship worldwide, they normally charge for delivery but between now and 14th Aug postage worldwide is free. I use them all the time for Books, cds etc normally stuff arrives in around 5 days

Surely customs can't charge more than the official rate?

Of yes they can....as I am sure you are aware...Import tarrifs in Thailand are determined by the phase of the moon, whether the customs officer concerned got his leg over with his mia noi the night before, etc etc.. :)

For what it's worth, I've had no trouble getting Barnes & Noble to send books to Thailand, though I haven't done this since last year.

Also, B&N purchases can get credited to Continental Airlines ff miles.

After many attempts at ordering books from Amazon.com, from all of their international sites

I've ordered books and other stuff from Amazon and had no problem. Amazon are increasingly using other merchants to supply goods on their behalf, perhaps this is the source of the problem. The stuff I ordered arrived about a week after I ordered it from the US Amazon.com site.

• 3 months later...

I've had no problems getting books from Amazon.

Did have one delivery go missing, but Amazon sent a replacement. (sent by Deutsche Post Worldnet - so nothing to do with Thai postal service at least).

Books are officially zero-rated for customs, so it's a bit hard for them to ask for duty. Haven't tried getting anything other than books shipped here though.

P.S. I got the international Kindle, and you can download books wirelessly within Thailand, so that seems like the best way to go. (better selection of books than you can get here, and there's only a $2 charge for downloading (either added if you're paying the US price, or included in the price if you're paying the price in whatever country your credit card is from).

P.S. I got the international Kindle, and you can download books wirelessly within Thailand, so that seems like the best way to go. (better selection of books than you can get here, and there's only a $2 charge for downloading (either added if you're paying the US price, or included in the price if you're paying the price in whatever country your credit card is from).

Or, you can download to your computer, then upload to your Kindle, saving $2 (the Kindle DX doesn't have the international download option, so that's the only option you have).

On the amazon website. once you find the book you are interested in there is normally a number of 'private sellers' selling the same book (usually second-hand) for a cheaper price.Recently I came to know that there is a website named AmazingWatcher.Com which is a free website that will "watch" items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.It got so awesome!

Good luck everybody!

• 3 weeks later...

I will buy either a Kindle or a Nook after I go back to the US in January and can check out which one I like better.  I hope I like reading from them as it will be much easier (and cheaper) to download books.  And with a couple hundred books in my condo here in Bangkok now, it will be much less cluttered to read e-books.

I have a novel being sold now on Amazon, and I know of at least a dozen copies or so which have been shipped to Thailand to various friends here without problem and without customs duty.  I think there was a copy also shipped from Barnes and Nobel without problem either. I am pretty sure all of these were purchased with Thai-based credit cards.

I have a novel being sold now on Amazon, and I know of at least a dozen copies or so which have been shipped to Thailand to various friends here without problem and without customs duty.  

Thai customs website (see my earlier post replying to Bkk_mike's "official" comment) says if it's value is 1,000 baht or less, it's duty-free.

Other than that, it seems to say 40%.

By the way Bonobo, what shipment procedure did your friends use in buying your book? Standard, Expedited, or Courier? Did the book arrive safely in Thailand with Standard shipping?

Edited by junkofdavid2