How Objective Was The Committee That That Brought Chrages Against Thaksin?

clausewitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjerd_Singkaneti

//Edit: I have deleted everything except the link to the Wikipedia page, because the quoted text looked silly with all those html tags spelt out and references to non-existing footnotes. -- Maestro

who cares about this guy, i care about the law. I love the law. I studied law, and I know enough to know how little I know, having never studied it at a PhD level nor having studied the french or Thai systems of law.

There was so much corruption in that administration - from petty TAT scams on the film festival (recognised abroad) to scams at the airport to PTT listing to Ua-Arthorn etc etc - so many and no wonder he is too scared to come back to face the music.

Obviously, it surprises me not at all that TRT supporters would believe the court to be biased.

If you want to talk about judicial interference, the asset declaration case that Thaksin managed to escape a 5 year ban on in I think 2002 or 2003 is an interesting one, and probably the most strong case to indicate a biased judiciary, although perhaps it makes Thaksin look somewhat less than pure?

Would you care to comment on this, or is this one not worth commenting on, given that Thaksin was the clear beneficiary, using both intimidation, popular opinion as well as (if we believe people like McCargo) back room deals to get what he wanted? There is almost no question within the 4 corners of law, but he was able to ride the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune so to speak.

Edited by steveromagnino

Banjerd Singkaneti (Thai: บรรเจิด สิงคะเนติ) is Assistant Professor of Law at Thammasat University and was a noted critic of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Education and early career

Banjerd completed an LL.B. from Ramkhamhaeng University, an LL.M. in public law from Thammasat University and a Magister Legum (LL.M.) Doktors der Rechte (Dr.jur.) from Ruhr-Universität Bochum in Germany. Banjerd returned to Thailand after completing his studies in Germany to teach administrative law and constitutional law at Thammasat University.

Criticism of Thaksin Shinawatra

Banjerd was a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, a group active in 2006 in attempting to bring down the government of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.[2] He famously criticized Thaksin as being worse than Adolf Hitler.

“ What makes Mr. Thaksin different from Adolf Hitler was that Hitler did not do things for his own benefit. Hitler killed Jews but he did several things for his country. He was more useful for the country than Mr Thaksin was. ”

The Embassy of Israel protested in a letter to the Bangkok Post, the English-language newspaper which had published Banjerd's statement.

After the coup

After the Thai military overthrew the government of Thaksin in a coup, the junta appointed Banjerd to the Asset Exemination Committee investigating corruption allegations against Thaksin and to the Constitution Drafting Committee drafting a new permanent constitution.

During the drafting process, he rejected western-style democracy in favor of traditional social customs. “I personally believe in social structure and administration through traditions and customs that we once had in small communities. It’s more real than western-style democracy because people rule by themselves.

Banjerd Singkaneti (Thai: บรรเจิด สิงคะเนติ) is Assistant Professor of Law at Thammasat University and was a noted critic of Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Education and early career

Banjerd completed an LL.B. from Ramkhamhaeng University, an LL.M. in public law from Thammasat University and a Magister Legum (LL.M.) Doktors der Rechte (Dr.jur.) from Ruhr-Universität Bochum in Germany. Banjerd returned to Thailand after completing his studies in Germany to teach administrative law and constitutional law at Thammasat University.

blah blah blah.

Tell me about the law instead of this :)

To the OP:

Why did you say 'committee'?

Thaksin has been charged under many basic laws of Thailand which have been in place for decades and which are basic law foundation in most countries.

If you mean the changes to the constitution, then my comment would be that the changes (to try to rid Thailand of vote buying etc., etc., ) were well overdue and should have been there for decades.

Whether the changes are balanced (punish every person if a party executive member is found guilty of vote buying) is open for discussion. The members of the TRT, PPP, and Puea Thai parties will of course say they are unfair, but let's be honest, these groups will say they are unfair purely because of their own interests, rather than balanced simple honest balanced view of what is right.

Personally I would say the changes are appropriate. Unless there are hard hitting laws on this subject then the said laws are in fact useless.

Anything which rids Thailand of vote buying is, in my book, OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjerd_Singkaneti

//Edit: I have deleted everything except the link to the Wikipedia page, because the quoted text looked silly with all those html tags spelt out and references to non-existing footnotes. -- Maestro

It's standard Thailand isn't it.

When MrT is in power he loads up as many institutions with his guys as he can - when Others are in power they load up as many institutions as possible with their people. It's always based on lies and corruption to benefit the group that's in power at the time.

The last two posters who discuss 'The law' and 'vote buying' are having a laugh. An illegal coup illegally changed the constituation (so they couldn't be arrested) stuck their people in the courts, police, army and everywhere else and still managed to lose the next election...

MrT is no better in my book, but he was elected and would be again today. Why doesn't Abhisit call an election? He promised to...

Yes, it's amazing how many trumped up bs charges were dreamed up. Funny thing is, he was never charged until the coup began and the railroading.

His triumphant return is awaited, and as PM Thaksin replied, as soon as he can be guaranteed a fair trial, he will answer to any and of the trumped up lies.

QUOTE..."Yes, it's amazing how many trumped up bs charges were dreamed up."

As already mentioned, most of the charges are in relation to foundation laws already in place in Thailand for decades, and which are the laws, for centuries, in most countries in the world.

QUOTE...."Funny thing is, he was never charged until the coup began and the railroading." True, because he had intimidated and controlled many government agencies, abd they were frightened to breath.

blah blah blah.

Tell me about the law instead of this :)

You can't have it both ways. There is a reason why that lady used in statuary symbolizing the law courts is always shown with her eyes covered, i.e. blind.

The manner in which the law was applied in the case of Mr. Thaksin was that it was not applied with impartiality. Maybe Mr. Thaksin is indeed guilty of a great many wrongdoings as are other memebers of the political ruling class, but as soon as one allows bias and prejudice to become part of the proceedings, the proceedings became tainted and the process invalid. As someone that loves the law, then surely you can appreciate the fundamental concept of fairness. The most ruthless and savage of murderers can walk free of a charge if the evidence used against him was improperly gained or if the judge and jurors were unduly influenced. Same situation here.

If people want to go after Thaksin, then convene an impartial court and present evidence properly. There is a need for a national inquiry into government corruption. What's needed is a public action similar to what was seen in other countries when corrupt politicians were out of control. The US did it with the Kefauver public hearings in the 1950's (Jimmy Hoffa went to jail, Joe Valachi squealed on the mafia), Canada had it with the inquiry into organized crime following the massive cost over runs of the 1976 Olmpics, the Italians do it, the French etc. Countries that refuse to accept that there is rot in the system continue to rot. Two countries that stand out for their refusal to deal with the problem are Israel and Thailand. Both countries have the ability to deal with the problem and yet both refuse because of internal poliitics. Both countries are wracked by political fighting and national advancement is paralyzed. I mention Israel, only to demonstrate that this isn't a Thai only problem. However, the results are similiar.