Help Please With Sharing Internet Through Usb Modem

tlcwaterfall

Hi,

Need some help if possible. I have a usb modem through Catcom which I use with my laptop.

Girlfriend's son wants to share my internet connection on his P.C. Went to 2 computer shops today and no one seemed to be sure how to do this properly. Showed us routers and adapters, none of which seemed to be what was required and store staff were not sure how to help us.

I am not computer literate but did use a wireless router for my cable connection back home in Australia to send signal around the house. Initially had wireless but did not work that well so ended up getting it all hardwired. This worked very well.

Now of course I have a wireless usb modem so I am not sure how to share the internet signal with the P.C in son's bedroom.

Can anyone technologically smart people tell me in layman's terms if and how this can be done please.

To do this you need to enable Internet sharing on your PC, and then your GF's son needs to connect his PC to your laptop using either wifi or with and Ethernet crossover cable.

If you need detailed step by step instruction please PM me.

To do this you need to enable Internet sharing on your PC, and then your GF's son needs to connect his PC to your laptop using either wifi or with and Ethernet crossover cable.

If you need detailed step by step instruction please PM me.

Not sure if I was clear with my first post but we actually would like to do the following if possible.

1 Be on the net at the same time.

2 When I am not home would like son to able to access the net without me having to leave modem plugged in to my laptop and on net.

You can use the net at the same time, but when away your son will have to plug the modem in to his PC to connect to the Internet, Alternatively he can share his connection with you to save changing the modem from location to location. Either way the PC with the modem has to be on for either to use the Internet

Edited by thaimite

What's the brand and model of your modem?

I don’t know how Catcom works but I guess you have a modem that is plugged into a phone socket, and your computer is plugged into the modem. Does the modem have room for a second computer to be plugged into it? If so, you can switch off your computer but leave the modem on. This way, the other computer can get online even if your computer is off.

Otherwise, you get a router, plug it into the modem, then plug both computers into into the router. Leave the modem and router on all the time when either or both computers are used.

--

Maestro

What's the brand and model of your modem?

I don't know how Catcom works but I guess you have a modem that is plugged into a phone socket, and your computer is plugged into the modem. Does the modem have room for a second computer to be plugged into it? If so, you can switch off your computer but leave the modem on. This way, the other computer can get online even if your computer is off.

Otherwise, you get a router, plug it into the modem, then plug both computers into into the router. Leave the modem and router on all the time when either or both computers are used.

--

Maestro

I have a Catcom usb modem which plugs directly into my laptop usb port. No phone sockets here as we are 12 kms from town and no landlines available.

I have spoken to another bm(thaimite) who knows the modem I have very well and has offered me some very good advice to solve the problem. Advice from bm is as follows. I need to purchase either a wifi dongle or crossover ethernet cable for the p.c and then enable internet sharing on both p.c and laptop. To buy a usb router would cost between 10k and 12k and they are hard to obtain.

This will allow both of us to be on internet at the same time but when I go away I will need to leave the usb modem with son who will then plug usb modem directly to his p.c. This is not a problem as where I go I always have wifi at hotels.

Thankyou everyone who has kindly offered help and in particular to thaimite who has been most helpful in explaining everything to me in layman's term as I really know very little about computers.

So by the end of this week I will purchase hardware, either dongle or ethernet cable and problem should be solved. I will post again when everything is working well.

The easy answer would seem to be leaving your computer turned on and a crossover cable. Almost no extra expense and no need to pull plugs. Put a cooling rack below laptop to allow air flow and turn off backlight.