Hate Shaving

BrissyBoy

Personally i dislike shaving. Add to this my facial hair regrows quite quickly.

The missus doesn't like my having stubble.

Plus if i shave too often then i get a lot of irritation on the face especially around the base of the hairs.

I have heard about electrolysis but do not know about its effectivness. I am really after a permanent solution if i could as i don't think i want a beard later on.

Can somebody please advise about electrolysis on the face and if it is available in bangkok.

BrissyBoy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also hate to shave, have hair that grows fast and look really ugly with a day old beard....

By chance I ended up having to buy a Gillette Mach 3 (three blade) razor for way more than I wanted to pay. But, it has turned shaving from an odious chore into an almost-pleasure. I use an oil-based shave cream and can shave twice a day if necessary with no irritation.

It might be worth trying something similar before you do something as drastic as electrolysis.

YMMV

By chance I ended up having to buy a Gillette Mach 3 (three blade) razor...

I also use a Mach 3. :D

No rashes and it really does make shaving a breeze. :o

Replacement blades are a bit expensive but the results are worth it. :D

I don't think I would go to the expense and pain of electrolysis, when there are may alternatives such as depillatories (used by both men and women for hair removal) and electric shavers.

Have you tried an electric shaver?

For years I suffered cuts and infections from razor blade shaving. Finally tried an electric shaver (Braun) and now, I wouldn't use anything else. There are many makes and models, however, from 30 years experience I've found the Braun are the best, with Panasonic (also known as National) as a close second. You get a very close, smooth and painless (read no-cuts) shave.

Many men who have very sensitive, tender skin use depillartories. You just mix the powder in a little water, wait a few minutes, then scrape off the mix using the back of a regular table knife or similar item.

Give the electric rasor a try. "You'll never go back".

cheers :o

Replacement blades are a bit expensive but the results are worth it.  :D

Where do you get the blades? Moving to LOS next month and I'd like to continue with the Mach 3.

:o

Any of the big supermarkets... Big C, Carrefour, Tops, Best etc.

Also at some of the pharmacies... Watsons, Boots etc.

For years I suffered cuts and infections from razor blade shaving. Finally tried an electric shaver (Braun) and now, I wouldn't use anything else.

Sorry waldwolf, I have to disagree with you on this...

Whilst an electric razor does provide a fairly comfortable shave, they do not cut as close as a razor. The OP has already indicated that his regrowth is quite rapid, so he would have to use an electric razor a couple of times a day. :o

I went back... :D

For years I suffered cuts and infections from razor blade shaving. Finally tried an electric shaver (Braun) and now, I wouldn't use anything else.

Whilst an electric razor does provide a fairly comfortable shave, they do not cut as close as a razor. The OP has already indicated that his regrowth is quite rapid, so he would have to use an electric razor a couple of times a day. :o

you could do like me and leave it to grow and then trim it with a beard trimmer to about 2/3 mm.

Never a rash , your stubble is long enoguh to be soft.

It gives you the george michael look :D

you could do like me and leave it to grow and then trim it with a beard trimmer to about 2/3 mm.

The "George Michael look" aka "designer stubble" wouldn't look too cool with white whiskers though... :o

Why the ###### would you want to look like George Michael?

BrissyBoy

Yes electrolysis is available in Bangkok.

However, expect to have electrolysis for a period of between 3 months and 1 Year at approx 1 hour each session. You pay per session, expect an average of 80 sessions. With a very heavy beard this may well be over 100 sessions, all of which carry the possibility of infection and scarring.

Maybe shaving doesn't sound so bad after all....

Would agree with some of the other posters that in a warmer climate having a "Wet" shave with something like a mach3 is probably the best solution, as electric shavers can cause rashes for some people, and razor blades do give a far longer lasting shave.

Whilst the cost of replacement blades can be high it will be considerably cheaper than electrolysis.

Whilst an electric razor does provide a fairly comfortable shave, they do not cut as close as a razor. The OP has already indicated that his regrowth is quite rapid, so he would have to use an electric razor a couple of times a day. :D

Dark, I hope this doen't mean you take on all his traits...like being arrested :o

Electrolysis is not to be recommended. I'm no expert but understand that it is not ideal for areas of sensitive skin such as the face and ..ahem.. sensitive femine parts. But is ok on tougher areas such as the legs.

Can get mach3 razors in 7-11s, though often hidden away behind the counter, which makes it hard to ask for, until they know you.

For shaving - all the creams, foams and soaps actually do is hold water against the hair for a period of time. Damp hair is easier to shave than dry hair. It takes very little more or less than 10 minutes for a hair to reach full water absorbancy. Scents, 'wetting' agents, glide aganets - all advertising rubbish. (My friend owns a shaving foam factory in the US) All they do is hold water against your face hair. The longer you leave it, up to 10 mins, the easier it is to cut the hair.

Shave after showering, and keep your face wet the whole time - the longer it takes to shower the better. I just use liquid soap for the whole body, face and hair. Too lazy for specific soaps - it's all just soap. Keep a lather on your face for up to 10 minutes. Don't do quick dry shaves, or try and go straight from lathering to shaving without a wait for the hair to absorb the water.

The only other way is waxing - let us know how you get along with that if you try it.

Whilst an electric razor does provide a fairly comfortable shave, they do not cut as close as a razor. The OP has already indicated that his regrowth is quite rapid, so he would have to use an electric razor a couple of times a day. :D

Dark, I hope this doen't mean you take on all his traits...like being arrested :o

Nope only the stubble look , and i only have to trimm it every three days :D

For shaving - all the creams, foams and soaps actually do is hold water against the hair for a period of time. Damp hair is easier to shave than dry hair. It takes very little more or less than 10 minutes for a hair to reach full water absorbancy. Scents, 'wetting' agents, glide aganets - all advertising rubbish. (My friend owns a shaving foam factory in the US) All they do is hold water against your face hair. The longer you leave it, up to 10 mins, the easier it is to cut the hair.

Shave after showering, and keep your face wet the whole time - the longer it takes to shower the better. I just use liquid soap for the whole body, face and hair. Too lazy for specific soaps - it's all just soap. Keep a lather on your face for up to 10 minutes. Don't do quick dry shaves, or try and go straight from lathering to shaving without a wait for the hair to absorb the water.

The only other way is waxing - let us know how you get along with that if you try it.

:o Personally cannot see the need for shaving cream or oils, for the last thirty years I have only used ordinary washing soap.

gillette mach 3 turbo , wilkinson shaving brush and body shop for men shaving cream with sesame oil. build up a thick lather and wait a few minutes.

always shave "with the grain" , if you shave "against the grain" it will encourage rashes and you are more likely to get cuts. use a magnifying shaving mirror , it makes things a lot easier.

if you go the electric shaver route , then slap on talcum powder first to dry the skin before you shave , in this climate the humidity makes it difficult for a close electric shave. (if you have air-con at home then the talcum powder ritual is not necessary.)

As Tax says..wait a few minutes...on a TV program recently,gillette were saying that it takes at least 3 mins for the stubbble to soften to enable easy shaving...unless your like me of course and it takes an hour.. because I'm so tough it comes out like number 8 wire :D:o

Thanks for all the replies

However, expect to have electrolysis for a period of between 3 months and 1 Year at approx 1 hour each session. You pay per session, expect an average of 80 sessions.
Wow... I didn't realise that you would need so many treatments for electrolysis to work.

I might upgrade to a Mach 3 turbo then. Have the standard mach 3 now.

Have also used shaving oils, moisturiser, gel and lather cream. They some better than others but still a bit of irritation.

gillette mach 3 turbo , wilkinson shaving brush and body shop for men shaving cream with sesame oil. build up a thick lather and wait a few minutes.

always shave "with the grain" , if you shave "against the grain" it will encourage rashes and you are more likely to get cuts. use a magnifying shaving mirror , it makes things a lot easier.

Taxexile your advice seems pretty good. Quite a few years ago i shaved with the grain but there was still a bit of stubble left so i changed my style to against and it cut the hairs off at the skin. This may have been the problem but it did give me a closer shave.

it takes at least 3 mins for the stubbble to soften to enable easy shaving...

I agreee. I remember observing my grandpa shaving when I was little boy. he used old method - hot water to make a foam with shaving cream and brush to apply it on face .... so, I think hot water washing or sort of massage would help too !

I'll second the Braun recommendation. I've got a wet'n'dry one - so I use it while my face is still wet from the shower. It's a twice a day thing, but it doesn't take long - less than a minute. Come to think of it, the battery is still good after 3 years since I bought it - lasts over a week and charges in an hour...