Hate Shaving

BrissyBoy

Okay, so everybody who's recommending an electric shaver says the brand to buy is Braun. Are there many different models? How much do they cost? Would Central or Robinson have a good selection? Are there any counterfeit models being sold?

As for shaving with a razor; that's all I've used since age 19, disposable blades. My partner and I are tired of the cuts, and the expense. I bought the Gillette Excell this year, and it's way too expensive for blades.

Also, as some of us age, we get white or grey hair, much tougher beards, hairs growing out of our nose, our earlobes, etc. - I've got several now on all sides of my nose! Is an electric razor going to work around my ears, or the outside of my nose?

"Against the grain" - I never heard that before. My face is not a wooden board. For example, from the nape of my neck to my chin - would the grain go up, down, sideways, or diagonal? Seriously! I can drag a razor every which way across a section of face and get poor results.

Thanks for this thread; I'm glad that I found it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PeaceBlondie,

I currently use a Braun electric shaver i bought at Central for about 150USD. Works great and as another poster mentioned it washes out in hot water nicely. Mine appeared to be about the middle of the range in their cabinet of electric shavers. I don't have the facial hair of George Michael though, so if you do, you might be spending some more money on the replacement blades.

As for your other hairs around your face, I don't think the electric razors can articulate enough to get around your nose... i'm sure there are other options for that kind of hair removal that would work better than a razor.

Either way, I like my Braun, would recommend one.

I got drunk with the boss of "The Stags Head" in Hong Kong a few years ago ,she asked me if she could immac (?) my chest and I ( think) I said,,, allgghhm.

It was ok for a day then I went through a stage of looking like a mangey dog for a week :D

Michelle,I still have the scars :o

I can only shave once a week, twice if I'm lucky. My main problem is my neck area. If I shave more than once or twice a week, my neck looks like a bloody mess...and that is after taking a hot shower to soften the hairs.

Laser hair removal is generally not recommended on the face because you'll end up with patchy areas all over. Electrolysis is an option, though the process can be slow.

Take a look at Quest Pharamatech. They are developing a product that is supposed to be a long-term or permanent solution to hair removal. They just signed an MOU with KMH Co. LTD in Korea to "license the Asian marketing rights to the Company's cosmetic hair removal product, SL017." So it should be available for trial or use in Asia before other areas of the world.

Also there is a company in the U.S. developing a permanent hair removal gel. The company name is Sirna Therapeutics. They are developing a number of different treatments based on RNA interference. So far the trials with their other treatments have been successful. They are supposed to start human trials on their hair removal gel this quarter or the first quarter of '07.

Jamie

:o

I live outside BKK near Hua Hin. I used to get bad irritation from shaving then realized it might be the water. We have one of those underground water storage tanks and it is pretty nasty. There was even a frog living it for a while. So now unbeknownst to the wife I treat the water every week or so with some regular household bleach. At least it will kill some of the bacteria in the water. I don't put to much maybe a few ouncesa little goes a long way.

LL

"Against the grain" - I never heard that before. My face is not a wooden board. For example, from the nape of my neck to my chin - would the grain go up, down, sideways, or diagonal? Seriously! I can drag a razor every which way across a section of face and get poor results.

To find out what direction the "grain" of your beard grows, rub your hand over your cheeks about 9-12 hours after a shave (or whenever stubble starts to reappear) to determine which direction your whiskers grow... that is "the grain"... normally downwards.

I've found that the best/closest shave I can have is a double shave... the first with the grain, and the second against the grain.

I have had 2 Braun rechargeable razors and they were just horrible, both. The second was a gift, higher model and had the charging/cleaning docking station that you filled with liquid, but it was just terrible - poor shave, slow (going over the same area over and over) and broke down within a few months. The best one that I have ever used was an older 3 head Remington cordless rechargeable, shaved very quickly, close shave and was fantastic. I wore it out in 10 yrs, and am looking for an equivalent now. For the best shave, mow the lawn so to speak firt with the electric, then go against the grain with a fresh razor - the "wedding shave"

I bought the New Fusion Power Razor on January 26th at CVS. I've been shaving with it almost everyday starting January 27th. It is a totally new shaving experience! The razor glides over your face easier than any razor I've ever used, and there is less...almost no...irritation. The time it takes me to shave has not been significantly reduced, but it has helped some and I do like the less irritation that it provides.

I've found the new razor lasts me 5 to 7 days of shaving before it wears out. However, the blue strip does wear out after about 4 days, but I continue to use it for a few more. I had used the Mach 3 Power razor for several years and the new Fusion Power is the best shave yet. I had similar results with the Mach 3 blades lasting about 5 to 7 shaves.

I usually let me face have a rest on the weekend from all the shaving during the week, and I haven't stopped that tradition. For the past two weekends I skipped a day and shaved on Sunday or Monday morning.

The razor has had no problems shaving through two days of growth. I have thick stubble by day two and the shave is as good as ever. The razor doesn't get clogged and can be cleaned out easily.

I'm getting use to the new precision trimmer on the back of the razor to shave under my nose and side-burns. I'm more impressed with the results than I was on day one, but not as I am with my old Sensor razor, which is what I still find myself using for those hard-to-reach areas.

I've been using Gillette products for 17 years. I started with the Sensor and have bought and used every razor Gillette has made since! I have 'em all!

The price is high, I'll admit it! But I think I'm going to stick with the New Power Fusion for now. I still have some of the Mach 3 Power blades I need to use so once those are gone, I'll be strictly using the Fusion Power Razor.

One other thing to consider is the kind of shaving cream or gel you use. I've noticed that the better, "more expensive" ones provide a better feeling during and after a shave. I currently use Gillette's Shaving Gel, but I want to try the new Fusion Hydra Gel. I also want to try the King of Shaves gel. I've also found the Neturogena razor defense post shave lotion to be a great product!

Ultimately, the razor looks good and feels good in your hand. The shave is great and I'm hooked!

keep seeing things like this about the the New Fusion Power Razor and for those using Fusion Hydra Gel even better reviews has anyone tried it ? Lot of $$ but sometimes you get what you pay for .

Edited by sobe

My thanks to all the commenters. I'm not poor, but I'm not ready to fork out US$150 on an experiment that might not work. OTOH, I'm probably paying a lot already on blades. I've stopped buying Excell blades because they're not worth the price.

Reading the comments, it's clear that we each have different skin and facial hair. And, different shaped faces. Good grief, yesterday I cut myself on my nostril for the first time; weird. I need to slow down more.

I can't see letting the lather set up for ten minutes; I'm not that patient.

Thanks again.

I have used a <deleted> load of shavers,disposable and electric jobbies.

The Gillette mach III turbo is by far the best I have used,the closest shave and the least amount of rash ..if any.

The blades are expensive,but they seem to last for ever.It must be that because it vibrates, then the blade has less work to do and dosn't wear that much.

Good grief, yesterday I cut myself on my nostril for the first time; weird. I need to slow down more.

Thanks for sharing that. Misery LOVES company. My friends sometimes are astounded when I cut my ear shaving. (And, one's ear can bleed like a sonofab*tch!)

And, no, I'm not shaving my ear, but in the speed frenzy to do the face, the ear sometimes becomes collateral damage...

I know some might call me stingy or whatever you want. But, for the past couple of years, I have been shaving with nothing more than hot plain water. Some other members mentioned not using gel/foam and using only ordinary soap. Well, I don't even use any soap. Before, I used to religiously apply foam and then shave. Later on, after being uncomfortable and gettng rashes/dry skin, I switched over to gel. Was happy for a few months and then again got the uneasy feelings. Ever since, I have been shaving with only plain warm/hot water.

As for the razor, I have been using Gilette and upgrading to the next version as and when they are released.

Also, I don't shave normally. I shave starting at the bottom moving upwards. Not the other way around.

I've been always wanting to ask whether I might have problem with these two habits of using only water and shaving against the tide. :o

At the checkout counter today, I noticed that a handle for Mach 3 only cost 179 baht; I would have expected more. How much for the blades, though? Excell blades run about 249 baht for five, and one blade doesn't last a week.

Is the Turbo available in Thailand? Does it run on batteries?

I tried many gels, lotion and hot water, but have found only shaving in the shower, after I've been there a few minutes stops my neck from being a chaffed rash disaster zone. However even shaving with and against the grain there are a few stragler stubble hairs that just refuse to be clipped. I use throw-a-way three blade razors maybe I should try the mach.

I tried many gels, lotion and hot water, but have found only shaving in the shower, after I've been there a few minutes stops my neck from being a chaffed rash disaster zone. However even shaving with and against the grain there are a few stragler stubble hairs that just refuse to be clipped. I use throw-a-way three blade razors

.........maybe I should try the mach.

Mach 1 or Mach 3 ? :o

LaoPo

I'm using a stainless steel old fashioned straight razor. Probably over 50 years old. every day over the canvas...razor sharp :-)

no fancy things here, use normal soap and water.... I guess gilette must hate me.

I'm using a stainless steel old fashioned straight razor. Probably over 50 years old. every day over the canvas...razor sharp :-)

no fancy things here, use normal soap and water.... I guess gilette must hate me.

You for using old fashioned straight razors and me for not using any gel/foam. :o

The only razor that works for me is Gillette Sensor...two blades. Those three blade, or four blade razors...the ones that are supposed to vibrate and cause the hair to stand up to get cut just don't work for me. I have a collection of about 6 different types of razors and I've tried once and put away. They don't cut close at all.

Gillete Mach 3 turbo and Gillette series conditioning gel for me. I used to get terrible rashes shaving, so I only used to do it once a week. Now I have the process down to a fine art and can shave everyday if I need to.

What a load of fuss about nothing!!!!! I´ve sported a short beard for the last 30-odd years, have a Braun electric shaver, whisk off the excess on cheeks and kneck with the beard trimmer - maybe twice a week - followed by a standard shave....which leaves all shaved surfaces as soft as a baby´s backside..........I then proceed to shave my not too public hairs with the beard trimmer, taking great care when approaching the anus.......as it tends to "nip", if I´m not careful..... :D

Again, a smooth finished is always guaranteed........... :D

The method can also be empoyed by our lady readers, I´m quite sure........ :o Will gladly send further advice, if you PM me........ :D