Going Far Far Away!

dungeon

I've been debating moving away for quite a while.

Finally i've convinced someone to come with me, and his job ends at the end of October.

We are both 20, and coincidentally have both just been dumped by our girlfriends after 3 years! Nice!

Anyway, I already work from home writing articles, and have convinced him I can get him enough work as well.

Is it a waste of time going from November-end of January?

We will be going away on a few hundred £££ and earn our money while we are there, so what would you expect to earn weekly?

I was thinking Phuket, but my friends said that Koh Samui is the place to be?

What is the deal with Visas? I read a few forum posts, but the replies didn't really make sense to me. If someone has a link to one that has all the details, then that would be great. As far as i know i can stay there for 90 days, aslong as i have a return ticket?

Any other advice appreciated.

Notes:

We are looking to go to the full moon parties (half moon, dark moon, what ever is on!) and would aim to go on a party night 2-3 times a week.

We will try and eat as cheaply as possible, but don't have a clue what it would cost. My friends have suggested the likes of Pizza etc would be £4.00 per head, but we were hoping we could pick things up from food carts or from supermarkets and maybe cook ourselves.

We might travel around in the day time, but looking for a 3 month rental so that we get a good rate, so will stay around the same area.

I'd like to visit a place where there are lots of young people, where all the Travellers like us go to have a good night out :)

Thanks in advance!

Are you planning on writing articles online? You tell us how much you make doing that, how would we know.

And you're not going to get any work here doing that.

How gullible is your friend that he believes you can find him work. What did you convince him he could do?

Your coming here with a few hundred pounds? You'll be broke in a couple of weeks, or less. You won't find work here before you're broke, unless you plan on working and getting paid online.

Good luck.

I've been debating moving away for quite a while.

Finally i've convinced someone to come with me, and his job ends at the end of October.

We are both 20, and coincidentally have both just been dumped by our girlfriends after 3 years! Nice!

Anyway, I already work from home writing articles, and have convinced him I can get him enough work as well.

Is it a waste of time going from November-end of January?

We will be going away on a few hundred £££ and earn our money while we are there, so what would you expect to earn weekly?

I was thinking Phuket, but my friends said that Koh Samui is the place to be?

What is the deal with Visas? I read a few forum posts, but the replies didn't really make sense to me. If someone has a link to one that has all the details, then that would be great. As far as i know i can stay there for 90 days, aslong as i have a return ticket?

Any other advice appreciated.

Notes:

We are looking to go to the full moon parties (half moon, dark moon, what ever is on!) and would aim to go on a party night 2-3 times a week.

We will try and eat as cheaply as possible, but don't have a clue what it would cost. My friends have suggested the likes of Pizza etc would be £4.00 per head, but we were hoping we could pick things up from food carts or from supermarkets and maybe cook ourselves.

We might travel around in the day time, but looking for a 3 month rental so that we get a good rate, so will stay around the same area.

I'd like to visit a place where there are lots of young people, where all the Travellers like us go to have a good night out :)

Thanks in advance!

Visa go to a Thai consulate in Hull,Brum,Cardiff get a double entry tourist visa....gives you 90 days then you need to leave Thailand and come back in 2 start the next 90 days..

Don't think you will find work in koh Samui but all the parties happen off Samui at koh Phanghan which is next door...in fact when on Samui you can hear the full moon party in Phanghan they are fantastic the best party you will ever ever jump and down too...

You should be able to find work in Phuket of some kind probably teaching English as its much bigger than the islands.

3 months here living on Koh Phanghan in a beach side bungalow(bamboo shed no aircon) should be manageable if you budget about £20-30 per day..for food, rent, cheap whisky....

have fun....

Wow Surface, I know I probably didn't include all the information needed but....!

Anyway!

I've been working online since I was 14 and there is plenty of work for everyone, it just depends at what pay rate I guess. I convinced him by proving it today. I put a few service ads up and got 4-5 jobs offered, so the work is there.

Generally mine works out to about £8-10 per hour, although i'm thinking about decreasing that so I have a constant and high flow of work. He is probably going to alot slower and getting the words down, so will earn less than me, but that doesn't matter!

Obviously i'd need a decent internet connection, and i'd be bringing myself a laptop along for the ride!

I've found a couple of places for £275-300 per month, would all the bills be included? Remember we would be sharing the apartment/house so this should bring our daily budget down?

Thanks for taking the time to post.

You can stay for 30 days without a visa but they can easily refuse you entry if your return ticket is longer than that, plus the airlines have tightened up and may not board you. You can have the 30 days and then in and out twice 15 days at a time I think the ruling is now. Far better to apply by post to Hull for the double tourist visa.

Be aware that Phuket and Samui are the most expensive places outside of Bangkok.

You could do with reading up a bit about Thailand. Have a look at Wikitravel, with sections linking out to each place, such as Samui and Phuket.

Fair enough. I guess you confused me with

so what would you expect to earn weekly?

If you're making that much per hour now, you should try to save up at least 1,000 before you come here, which shouldn't be too hard based on the numbers you gave. 2,000 would be better (read safer) since you will spend more than you plan to, especially since it's sounds like you'll be out partying every night.

Hey,

I have to Live over here as well! And i'm meant to be going on Holiday on the 23rd September, so doubt there will be much saving going on.

Just because I make 8-10 per hour doesn't mean I work 50 hours a week either, self-employed work isn't that cut and dry.

As mentioned i hope to go out on the town 2-3 times a week, more or less depending on how much money we have spare. It's just a long holiday and a chance to see some different places really :)

Oh to be young again!

Not a very good plan, but at least it's a plan and your both young, single and hopefully adaptable.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted as to how things are going for you.

Shell out and get non-o 'visiting friends' visas from Hull, good for up to 15 months in the Kingdom with border hops every 90 days (although if you only plan on staying for 3 months or so the tourist visa route would be more economical.)

Advantage also that if you find paying employment then you can attach work permits to this type of visa too :)

Coming to Thailand because you've just been dumped by your girlfriends is asking for trouble.

Seriously, save up some cash first - you'll spend a fortune in the first few weeks because it'll be one long holiday. For most people Thailand becomes a cheap place to live once you have got used to the place. Then even places like Samui and Phuket can be lived in on a modest budget.

Wow - Alot to learn but no one to help it seems.

Thanks for the advice, i'll look elsewhere!

So far you've been given advise on the best visas, the fact that the places you intend to visit are some of the most expensive in Thailand and even the rainfall to be expected during your stay. Is that not helpful?

Wow - Alot to learn but no one to help it seems.

Thanks for the advice, i'll look elsewhere!

You asked for advise, so when I asked a simple question of whether you had been to Thailand or not before, you took the huff.

I hope you will eventualy find the information you are looking for. :)

Yes, you have been given advice on Visa and been told that a few hundred £ is not going to last long unless you are in budget accommodation and eating like a Thai.

To rent a house you need to check out the market. Maybe start by placing an advert in Thai Visa, asking for a place.

With a house you will need a deposit, usually be liable for the electric and water bills. Do you want Wi-fi? Do you want satellite tv? How many rooms? All basic things to consider when asking for information.

Hotels average 400+ Baht a night unless you really want to start roughing it.

Taxis, TukTuks and/or Baht buses to get about, depending on where you are staying.

Restaurants. Thai food or English food? English being more expensive.

Beer or spirits? A lot of places charge corkage for spirits. Beer can be from 65 Baht a bottle upwards.

Women? Hope you young studs do not expect freebies?? :D:)

So many points to consider but you are not really helping yourself TBH.

If you were to ask some more specific questions maybe more help would be forthcoming as we have no real idea what your requirements are and apart from Phuket and Koh Samui you have given no real indication as to what other sort of area you would like to visit.

People on TV are willing to help but you need to be asking the right questions and with the right attitude to get the best help.