Thai Student Uniforms 'too Sexy'

george

Student uniforms 'too sexy'

Country's top two universities order clampdown

VeryShortSkirts.jpg

Funny that the Youtube video link posted earlier has these same two girls, in exactly the same pose, but wearing substantially longer skirts (see at 2:02 of the video)! So who has been doing the Photoshopping???

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is really great to see that some serious issues are planned to be dealt with... This is quite appropriate after the government finally solved all the other minor problems, such as corruption, safety, political unstability, economic situation, tourism slowdown, etc.....

Which planet are they living on????

It is true. Unfortanately we still don't see these "creative minds" come up with a real Social Cabinet to solve other very urgent problems in Thailand. Every morning on the news we ear about two or more cases of rape and murder of very young children (4 months, 2, 4, 5 years of age) and it seems that the problem has been ignored long enough.

This might be not considered a social problem reason why no cabinet was formed yet. Until then, we will be watching these tragic scenes everyday and worry about the safety of our children who day still call hypocritically the hope and the future of the country.

Leave the obsession of the skirts the way it is and form a new cabinet to end the actual social cabinet.

VeryShortSkirts.jpg

Funny that the Youtube video link posted earlier has these same two girls, in exactly the same pose, but wearing substantially longer skirts (see at 2:02 of the video)! So who has been doing the Photoshopping???

breasts of the left one are bigger too ....... lol

Every country faces that fashion problem. What is the big deal ??

Please don't start with the bullshit that sexy dressing invites predator like rapist or murderer. Those are irresponsible reason giving by the Police or Government that is too lazy to do more patrolling and too busy hiding behind trees and intersection hoping to get some "extra cash".

Don't discriminated female!! Their are just minding their own business.

Well, if they haven't the sense to try to dress more appropriately & comfortably for class...perhaps their mommy does need to tell them what to do.

If they need to earn a few baht after school hours this is the perfect outfit to choose! (proof in that all the snickering responses were from drooling old guys while asking for more photos).

Clean it up girls...you're all beautiful....quit trying so hard! ewwwwwwwwwwwww

my university has 5 people standing at the main entrance yelling at everybody who they deem is not following the dress code.....

i also find it funny that only girls need to adhere to the dress code, but not guys. i would say 80% of the male student population is blatantly breaking the rules with their choice of attire yet nobody says anything to them...

I think we are definitely in need of a major clampdown on clampdowns from the ministry of clampdowns. :)

They must employ 15,000 public employees

( yellow shirt from the airport demonstration they all must have ended up with a cushy job) and have them staring at the ceiling all day

to dream up the next ridiculous thing. How about something constructive, paying the teacher

a decent wage, reducing class sizes. Oh , no that be to practical and to easy.

(i) TI am a UK barrister and, although I uphold the rights of gender equality, freedom of expression, family & privacy in England, :

(ii) UK schools/ colleges/ universities often have strict rules which are not consistently applied,

(iii) much of the Thai populace disapprove of such fashion statements as incongruent with its conservative traditions and,

(4) there is a genuine fear amongst the public that appetising attire directly leads to an increase in the occurrence of sexual assault and rape.

More fundamentally, how does it improve a student's education? Instead, it is open to speculation that attentions will be distracted and discipline undermined - something many expats moaned about as declining in their own countries before moving to LOS!

Well point one doesn't get you off to a good start, as we all know that the UK has been fundamentally screwed over by particular applications of laws and the way that people in the legal profession have milked the laws for their own benefits. :D

Point two -schools generally have uniform rules. However in respect of strict codes in Universities, I have not encountered this at the ones that I studied. I believe that Oxford and Cambridge do uphold some rules regarding dress though.

Much of the Thai populace disapprove of such fashion statements - could you please supply the actual statistics that back these up? Or is this just an assumption? What part of the populace exactly? Times as they say, are a changing.

Genuine fear amongst the public - again can you provide the research that actually backs this statement up? You have used speculation to enhance that as well. Are there any statistics that shows an increase in rapes in countries that have less strict dress codes?

How does it improves one's education? Well, I didn't realise that what you wore made you study better, maybe again you can find some documented research on this as well. You have used speculation to enhance that as well.

Thanks for the points, but I thought I'd play devils advocate.

Aas an aside though, I still believe that this whole issue is a pile of nonsense, and it is bought up pretty much every year, in fact I am sure last year there was a clampdown on the uniforms. :)

Is this too short?

university_girls.jpg

personally I think that's fine. I go to BUIC, and a lot of girls there wear INSANELY short skirts, and massive high heels. Whatever, they should be able to dress up like sluts if they want. I just wish they would let female students have the option of wearing trousers (obviously a feminine cut).

TBH though... in the end, I'm still allowed to show up in jeans. But one thing they should work on is just the actual quality of teachers and courses first. One of the biggest things that Thai Universities are missing as a whole, is international reputation and standards.

What a ridiculous story. Who honestly cares, the fact university students are made to wear uniforms is a joke in the first place. They're meant to be young adults discovering themselves, for fuc_k sake let them discover and do something about your massive traffic problem, the rampant dumbing of trash and the polluting of water ways... Its gonna benefit a lot more than stopping a few politicians from getting hard ons and upsetting their wives...

for sure - can u imagine if universities/TAFE colleges etc in Australia or any other developed country tried to force students to wear uniforms they would not have many students --- the wearing of uniforms by the so called educated masses here is nothing more than a money making exercise -the reality is that all students look the same - white blouse, black skirt -- let them dress as they see fit -- i would suggest they wont look any sexier than they do now -buttons popping - splits up the dress to show of the knickers - you should try standing in front of a class of 70 students - half of them females sitting there with skirts up around bums - there are even some who not even wear underwear - believe me -- and when they see that the eyes are roaming the legs are not always crossed -- - imagine a student sitting lotus style on the seat --- and they say teaching is hard -- well there are some side benefits -

I am sorry I really dont believe you

please post pictures to prove what you say!!!

I am a UK barrister and, although I uphold the rights of gender equality, freedom of expression, family & privacy in England, (i) Thailand does not have the same laws as most farang countries, (ii) UK schools/ colleges/ universities often have strict rules which are not consistently applied, (iii) much of the Thai populace disapprove of such fashion statements as incongruent with its conservative traditions and, (4) there is a genuine fear amongst the public that appetising attire directly leads to an increase in the occurrence of sexual assault and rape.

More fundamentally, how does it improve a student's education? Instead, it is open to speculation that attentions will be distracted and discipline undermined - something many expats moaned about as declining in their own countries before moving to LOS!

Did someone break wind.....???

I am shocked and this news really knocked my socks off. I could not believe my eyes seeing the picture of Thai university students. They make me wonder?? Are they going to learn or looking for...... ??? These mini and Micro skirts are suitable for party girls as such not for famous university students. Shame?? People do complain in case of Rapes go up and Thai Society will blame women for asking....not men who committ the crime??? Believe me Women seldom win any Rapes case because, the Thai jurors won't buy them. Well, how can these college kids wear mini or micro skirts while attending their temples?? Do the Monks allow them to worship I wonder????? By the way, this is not positive self expression in Thailand and for all the Farangs Thai is still Thai. You all live in Thailand and you all have live by the Thai rules otherwise, you all will be unhappy and fly away for freedom in America or Europe. There is no freedom of self Exppression because, Thai women do not have more freedom like Americans or Europeans. My personal opinion and I take a stand.

This "clampdown" does not meet my approval... :D

Nor mine ... but it is too funny. Same every year. Remember when "they" tried to get the policewomen to tone down the sexy look? I just thought, OMG you are telling women that know how to use guns how to dress :)

Well, if they haven't the sense to try to dress more appropriately & comfortably for class...perhaps their mommy does need to tell them what to do.

If they need to earn a few baht after school hours this is the perfect outfit to choose! (proof in that all the snickering responses were from drooling old guys while asking for more photos).

Clean it up girls...you're all beautiful....quit trying so hard! ewwwwwwwwwwwww

See? they formed a cabinet and did nothing yet while you in a few words said it all! So far the best post

VeryShortSkirts.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chulalongkorn University (CU) is campaigning for students to comply with its dress code, while Thammasat University (TU) wants to the government to launch a "Social Cabinet" to tackle the issue of students wearing uniforms inappropriately.

At the project launch yesterday, CU rector Pirom Kamolratanakul said wearing a Chula student uniform, the only one to be granted by the monarchy, is a privilege.

TU deputy rector for student affairs Parinya Thewana-ruemitkul said the president for Network of Deputy Rectors for Student Affairs supervised the student uniform code at each university. He added that Thammasat was less strict about the uniform than some other universities, but insisted students wear "appropriate clothes" to classes.

Celebrities' influence

Blaming the influence of fashions worn by movie and TV stars, he urged that a Social Cabinet comprising the efforts of several ministries should be set up to help universities solve the problem. The Culture Ministry could ask celebrities to wear clothes appropriate to the time of day and occasion as well as promote good values, he added.

Deputy Education Minister Chaiwuti Bannawat agreed that students need good discipline and praised universities' successful efforts in improving the standard of their students' dress.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-19

I am shocked and this news really knocked my socks off. I could not believe my eyes seeing the picture of Thai university students. They make me wonder?? Are they going to learn or looking for...... ??? These mini and Micro skirts are suitable for party girls as such not for famous university students. Shame?? People do complain in case of Rapes go up and Thai Society will blame women for asking....not men who committ the crime??? Believe me Women seldom win any Rapes case because, the Thai jurors won't buy them. Well, how can these college kids wear mini or micro skirts while attending their temples?? Do the Monks allow them to worship I wonder????? By the way, this is not positive self expression in Thailand and for all the Farangs Thai is still Thai. You all live in Thailand and you all have live by the Thai rules otherwise, you all will be unhappy and fly away for freedom in America or Europe. There is no freedom of self Exppression because, Thai women do not have more freedom like Americans or Europeans. My personal opinion and I take a stand.

I assume you are playing the devils advocate - :)

They would be better served having a clampdown on substandard teaching and changing of classes to suit lecturers other money making ventures.

Figures in establishment or with power telling the young to not do something usually has the opposite effect.

Agreed 100%.

With all the problems in education, and that includes these two unis, their time would be better spent upping the quality of university performance, reducing the quantity of money 'wasted' and creating Thailand's first student centric university...

As for those of you whacking on (or off to) these photos, you're pathetic really; go down to walking street to get your kicks rather than leering at the school kids!

my university has 5 people standing at the main entrance yelling at everybody who they deem is not following the dress code.....

i also find it funny that only girls need to adhere to the dress code, but not guys. i would say 80% of the male student population is blatantly breaking the rules with their choice of attire yet nobody says anything to them...

Those 80% are the new generation of motorcycle-taxi drivers...

No idea who changed the skirts but I find these uniforms disgusting.

BTW the legs on the one on the right are Ronaldo's. The girl's on the left are her own but when she: http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2009/07/13...e-world_620.jpg

I used to live with a univesity sudent and I when she came home I used to get so annoyed I pulled the uniform of her almost everyday :)

We had a few small fights about it so sometimes I let her keep half of it on, which is after all only fair :D

The same thing happened in Japan about 5 years ago and spread. In the end it was actually voted upon in parliamet and went something crazy like 98% against change.