18 Months Valid Passport For One-year Visa

I'm heading to KL for a new Visa - "O" Married.

I was planning on a One-Year multi entry.

I have a little more than 6 months left on my Passport, so I figured I can always get a new passport when I get back, and have the Visa transferred, or I could just carry both Passports (Old & New) for 6 months when I do a 3 month Run for an entry stamp.

But... I just checked the KL Embassy document requirements, and I came across a reference to needing 18 months of validity on my passport in order to get a One-Year (12 month) visa.

Now, of course, I feel stupid and Screwed over... I have never seen a reference to this before, nor any post that this has been either an issue or requirement.

Does anyone know whether this is being applied?

Will I have any problems?

CS

You will find that on many consulate and embassy websites. That comes from the requirement that you have at least 6 months validity left on your passport to enter the country.

You could call them and ask if it is needed.

If needed you could always get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife and then get a new passport.

You will find that on many consulate and embassy websites. That comes from the requirement that you have at least 6 months validity left on your passport to enter the country.

You could call them and ask if it is needed.

If needed you could always get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife and then get a new passport.

Planning ahead, I booked my AirAsia tickets 3 months ago, to get the best prices...

Manged to get 2x return tickets with extras for 5,300 Baht... would have saved an additional 980 B if I waited 1-2 weeks... I paid just before AirAsia dropped their Fee Charges.. Now they won't return it... Oh well.. still saved big on the early purchase.. but now no choice but go.. Visa runs out and tickets bought.

Trying to explain my problem to the embassy long-distance doesn't feel like it will get anywhere.. What I really want is to get the one-year and save having to make another KL run in 3 months. My wife is coming with me, maybe if she smiles sweetly and begs, they will give me the Multi one-Year???

So my question still stands... Is this policy enforced?

Has anyone been denied a 1-year because they didn't have their 18 months available on passport??

I don't really have any options.. must go.. but I need to know how much money to change for the visa fee... there is big difference between 220 RM and 550 RM...

But I guess I could use the difference to pay the hotel bill.

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

I apply for 1 year multi entry visa 2 weeks ago

I got my 1 year multi entry

when i went to the airport, the check-in staff was counting something regarding my passport, i ask what was the problem, she told me careful my passport nearly expire, I only have 8 month left on it !!!! but was ok, 6 months is the validity.

i did not check before, will be back to do a new one before the expire date

when i went to the airport, the check-in staff was counting something regarding my passport, i ask what was the problem, she told me careful my passport nearly expire, I only have 8 month left on it !!!! but was ok, 6 months is the validity.

It probably would be a good idea to get a new passport before you have to do your next border run.

You will be under 6 months validity left on your passport and could be denied entry.

It probably would be a good idea to get a new passport before you have to do your next border run.

You will be under 6 months validity left on your passport and could be denied entry.

You right, but how can i do a new passport in Thailand ? i am sure the Australian embassy will refuse to issue me a new one.

In France I try to do a French passport, they said no because I do not reside there, have to do it from Sydney.

You right, but how can i do a new passport in Thailand ? i am sure the Australian embassy will refuse to issue me a new one.

In France I try to do a French passport, they said no because I do not reside there, have to do it from Sydney.

I don't think you will have a problem. I can't see anything on the embassy website that says they won't. Contact them and ask.

Link to website: http://www.austembassy.or.th/bkok/Consular_P2.html

I don't think you will have a problem. I can't see anything on the embassy website that says they won't. Contact them and ask.

Thank you, i will try this way.

i was thinking you need to be a resident to have a passport issue in thailand, not a multiple O

Ubonjoe,

It looks very straight forward, I already done my application and ring the Australia Thai embassy, no problems

Funny if you did not give me this call, I do not think I will have done it from here.

2 weeks ago in Melbourne, I ring the French consulate to ask if they could add more pages in my passport who was getting full / REPLY NO

I ask them if they have a 64 pages passport instead of the 32 / REPLY NO

If I could done my passport in Melbourne / REPLY NO, I have to go to SYDNEY

And when I was in Paris few years ago, I could not renew my passport because did not have utilities to my name.

France you so old fashion, you should look what the other are doing !!

Glad I do not live there ……

Bit strange, the law says you have to have at least 6 months validity on your passport when entering Thailand.

Didn't know they required this to apply for a visa.

Friend of mine got his visa just fine with 7 months remaining on his passport, entered, got his 90 days, at the end he extended based on retirement, and they simply gave him a stamp with the same day as the expiry of his passport.

They told when he gets a new passport and comes in to move over the stamps, they will give him the full year!

I was refused a one-year Non-B visa to Thailand issued in Denmark two weeks ago because my passport runs out in 13 months. So I had to just settle for 90 days this time.

I went straight to the Danish Embassy in Bangkok and ordered a new passport which will arrive in about 4 weeks. So yes you should be able to get a new passport made out here.

Also when I checked in at Copenhagen Airport, a man at the counter next to me was refused to check-in because his passport was not valid for 6 more months. So it must be a rule that they enforce.

Edited by d0ndela

Where (at which Embassy/consulate) did you get this One-year visa?

Thanks

CS

Well, looks like there is no clear definitive, anecdotal answer out there.. so I roll the dice and take my chances...

I'll either be back on a one-year Multi and can relax for the next year (except for quick Poi Pet Stamp runs),

OR a 3-month Visa and have to do it all again to get the one-year after I get a new passport.

C'est la vie au Thailande.... TIT

CS

• 3 weeks later...

Got the One Year Multi "O" at KL...

The woman noticed the Expiry date, but I said I would get a new Passport when I returned to BKK, and would carry both when I travel in/out.

I'm not sure if I can have the Visa transferred or not.... Or if I can what the cost will be?

It may have helped that my wife was with me!!!

CS

At the appropriate time you will need to transfer your permission to stay to your new passport. The visa will not be transferred, but details will be noted in your new passport. Make sure the embassy gives you a letter saying they have issued you with a new passport as immigration will need to see it. You will need to travel with both passports during the validity of your visa.

Edited by thaiphoon

At the appropriate time you will need to transfer your permission to stay to your new passport. The visa will not be transferred, but details will be noted in your new passport. Make sure the embassy gives you a letter saying they have issued you with a new passport as immigration will need to see it. You will need to travel with both passports during the validity of your visa.

I no longer have an extension, as under the discriminatory Thai regulations Thai women can no longer combine their Income with their husbands, so I'll be doing Border runs for the next 12 months. I'll get a new passport next month so I won't have to hassle anymore, and do my first run in December.

But why will I need an Embassy letter if I have a new passport in my hand, along with my old one with the Visa???

CS

No need for the embassy letter nowdays. It's listed in their requirements with note "if available" and not asked if you do not present one. And this applies to Suan Phlu in BKK.

I just transferred to new pp few months ago. Note that they do not transfer your visa, only latest entry stamp so you still need to carry your old pp with you as long as the visa is valid.

your new pp get's full page stamp stating that your current permission to stay has been transferred from pp no xxxx etc. I did it just to avoid any hassle at the airport when flying out.

In Suan Phlu it takes only 15 mins or so to do as that desk has rarely any que. Just take copies of everything with you as usual.

Process is easy, in the information desk they give you application form that you need to fill in. Then they check your copies and give you que number...

I no longer have an extension, as under the discriminatory Thai regulations Thai women can no longer combine their Income with their husbands, so I'll be doing Border runs for the next 12 months. I'll get a new passport next month so I won't have to hassle anymore, and do my first run in December.

But why will I need an Embassy letter if I have a new passport in my hand, along with my old one with the Visa???

CS

Because your permission to stay could quite well go beyond the expiry date of your passport, therefore it would need transferring into your new passport. You cannot leave the country on an expired passport, and your permission to stay stamp and new TM6 card from immigration would not be in your new passport either.

This situation has been reported a number of times over the years.

It does not seem to be a problem, just the check in staff being helpful,

so you do not find yourself with an expired passport, and hence Illegal.

Immigration have been known to do the same.

This situation has been reported a number of times over the years.

It does not seem to be a problem, just the check in staff being helpful,

so you do not find yourself with an expired passport, and hence Illegal.

Immigration have been known to do the same.

I will have a new passport next week, will pass at Suan Plhu with the new & old one.

I have been extending my original Non-O visa for "retirement" purposes for a number of years. The original passport with the visa filled up years ago and I obtained a new passport and Immigration put information in my new passport about the original one and its visa. So, since that visa expired years ago I don't still need to carry it along with my new passport. Is this correct?

I have been extending my original Non-O visa for "retirement" purposes for a number of years. The original passport with the visa filled up years ago and I obtained a new passport and Immigration put information in my new passport about the original one and its visa. So, since that visa expired years ago I don't still need to carry it along with my new passport. Is this correct?

That is correct. Only when you still have a valid multiple visa you have to travel with both passports. Once the visa is expired, you can only use the new passport.

The reason is that immigration doesn't transfer a visa, only the details about it. So if your visa is still valid you have to use your old passport to show the visa. All stamps for permission to stay will be entered in the new passport.

Got a 1 year visa earlier this year with only 3 months left on passport. Then brought the new passport to immigration and had all the details transferred -- just cost more money.

This 6 months left in passport is bureaucratic BS. The passport is either valid or not. Several times in the last 12 months I have had arguments at airports about this -- just brazen it out. A routine that works quite well is

'' I have a valid ticket and a valid passport, why will you stop me from getting on the plane? Are you arresting me ?''

The usual response is '' you can get on the plane, but might not be allowed enter the other country''.

My response is '' Ok, I will take that chance -- and thank you''.

I have been travelling all over the world for 35 years, and this 6 month BS is a recent phenomenon. So, what does this mean --- a 10 year passport is only good for 9.5 years, a 5 year is 4.5 year etc.

Got a 1 year visa earlier this year with only 3 months left on passport. Then brought the new passport to immigration and had all the details transferred -- just cost more money.

Did you get a new visa from a consulate or embassy abroad or a 1 year extension of stay from immigration? Sounds to me you did the last, for which no 6 month validity is required.

Note that transferring your details to a new passport doesn't cost any money. It is free.

As for the airline. They can get fined for taking you to Thailand (and many other countries) without the propper travel documents. That includes a valid passport.