Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

BTITmaker aka Gavin H? :)

and you're quite rightly pissed off at the editing, narration & audio?

The narration & script is woeful.

Welcome to Thai Visa, whoever you are. :D

Thank you. Yes, I think it's fair to say I am. I agree with all your observations. It's a shame, because up until the edit we were managing to please all of the people all of the time. The way the programmes have been edited/presented hasn't done justice to the content, nor the viewers nor - most importantly - Thailand and those who know the place. BTIT was never going to be everybody's cup of tea, but it takes real talent to underachieve to the extent BTIT has considering the access and resulting content. The rot set in with two bad decisions - to slap Thailand so ungratefully in the face with the title ... Virgin Media's decision and contractual right, it would appear, and then to compound this with the content of Episode One. It won't have escaped anyone who's seen the series that all the "good" stuff is in the first three episodes. I learned a new use of a phrase on this production - front-loading is the current buzz word by telly types in London's West End. And there I was possibly threatened with arrest and jail and where was Richard Branson when I needed him? :D

Thank you for that. :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was going to compare the two - I'd say Howard is like Dixon of Dock Green, and the SWAT team is someones own personal wet dream. I just don't understand why a SWAT team would be called out to deal with the incidents that are shown, and from what I understand they also conduct roadblocks? <deleted> -just seems rather over the top.

Hmmmm ... can't see George Dixon choking a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!'' Anyone who did that must be a seriously unhinged person (Howard, of course, not George Dixon). Maybe in his mind he thinks he's Jack Regan ... but even Jack would never have put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Let's face it, who would put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Well, maybe Howard.

Oh yes ... he was caught on camera doing just that.

I'm sure it was all in the editing though. Televison shows tell such porkies, don't they? Surely not even Howard would put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Or would he?

Thank you. Yes, I think it's fair to say I am. I agree with all your observations.

<Snip>

there I was possibly threatened with arrest and jail and where was Richard Branson when I needed him? :D

At the dentist.... :D

Hi Gavin,

As the big Scot has said, you have a good reputation as a doc maker,

why not edit your own footage & sell the package,

is it too expensive to set-up & do?

If there was a "next time" what would you do differently?

Thanks for responding in a positive manner. :D

Having just been burgled while in Laos, I have a cunning plan for a program.... :D

Cheers.

If I was going to compare the two - I'd say Howard is like Dixon of Dock Green, and the SWAT team is someones own personal wet dream. I just don't understand why a SWAT team would be called out to deal with the incidents that are shown, and from what I understand they also conduct roadblocks? &lt;deleted&gt; -just seems rather over the top.

Hmmmm ... can't see George Dixon choking a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!'' Anyone who did that must be a seriously unhinged person (Howard, of course, not George Dixon). Maybe in his mind he thinks he's Jack Regan ... but even Jack would never have put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Let's face it, who would put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Well, maybe Howard.

I'm sure it was all in the editing though. Televison shows tell such porkies, don't they? Surely not even Howard would put his hands around the throat of a deaf, non-English speaker while shouting ''Do not resist us! Do not resist us!''

Or would he?

Clearly someone who doesn't comprehend the comparative meaning of what was written. I can't be bothered to explain. :)

Thank you. Yes, I think it's fair to say I am. I agree with all your observations. It's a shame, because up until the edit we were managing to please all of the people all of the time. The way the programmes have been edited/presented hasn't done justice to the content, nor the viewers nor - most importantly - Thailand and those who know the place. BTIT was never going to be everybody's cup of tea, but it takes real talent to underachieve to the extent BTIT has considering the access and resulting content. The rot set in with two bad decisions - to slap Thailand so ungratefully in the face with the title ... Virgin Media's decision and contractual right, it would appear, and then to compound this with the content of Episode One. It won't have escaped anyone who's seen the series that all the "good" stuff is in the first three episodes. I learned a new use of a phrase on this production - front-loading is the current buzz word by telly types in London's West End. And there I was possibly threatened with arrest and jail and where was Richard Branson when I needed him? :D

really interesting to hear that mate, cheers. the show has ended up smacking of sensationalism for the sake of it and could have been filmed in any number of greek island or spanish reports with a similar result - stupid tourists getting drunk and doing stupid things while blaming it all on another country. think the deliberate move to make thailand look at fault for everything has left a bad taste unfortunately.

Clearly someone who doesn't comprehend the comparative meaning of what was written. I can't be bothered to explain. :)

Fully understand what you meant, thanks. However, saying ''Howard is like Dixon of Dock Green'' kinda undermines your point.

If I was going to compare the two - I'd say Howard is like Dixon of Dock Green, and the SWAT team is someones own personal wet dream. I just don't understand why a SWAT team would be called out to deal with the incidents that are shown, and from what I understand they also conduct roadblocks? &lt;deleted&gt; -just seems rather over the top.

Well, maybe Howard.

Or would he?

He actually said "Relax, relax. Do not resist us, do not resist us. You understand? Do not resist us. Police yeah" The last sentence being the telling part in my opinion.

Those 'SWAT' guys were ridiculous. Do the Thai police not have stinger devices? Throw one in front of the vehicle, and it pierces the tyres, deflating them safely and slowing it right down.

I don't have any experience with firearms, but I find it hard to believe that you could shoot a tire out when you are hanging out of a moving vehicles window and shooting at another moving vehicle along a narrow twisting road, which is a reasonable distance away, in the dark. I always assumed handguns were pretty inaccurate unless at close range. Anyone with more experience confirm if this is a likely outcome?

Howard came across in a better light this episode as he was doing what I would expect a TPV to do, acting a liaison between tourists and the police to resolve situations. A little tip though. Never let someone get too close to you like you allowed the old guy in the Bt 1,000/Bt 20 argument. Basic self defence is to keep anyone out of your 'fighting arc' so you are better able to react to any attack.

What was up with that couple as well, expecting to be able to film girls in the bars without permission, or more importantly payment, just because Pattaya advertises itself a sex haven :) They were lucky they didn't get battered.

Fully understand what you meant, thanks. However, saying ''Howard is like Dixon of Dock Green'' kinda undermines your point.

If you compare him and SWAT = then he is like "Dixon of Dock Green" in context to them. Doesn't undermine the point one bit, unless you like to be a pedant.

Edited by mrtoad

My impression as well, single shot hanging out of a window of a driving car, aimed at the tire of another driving car and bingo...

Heck, even in the movies they need several shots to get the tire out!

My impression as well, single shot hanging out of a window of a driving car, aimed at the tire of another driving car and bingo...

I just watched that part again... He waits till the truck is turning into the corner before he fire's. this gives him a quite large target to hit Eg: both rear wheels are lined up.

About a half meter by a meter target.... not that small a target really...

I have done a lot of pistol shooting and hunting... and competitive trap & skeet... now I'm not sure If I could make that shot, first time, from a moving vehicle... but if you practiced that style of shooting, with a good pistol .... It would be allot easier than it look's ..... ..

Now saying all that .... there is no need for Starsky and Huch to go riding around in a bright yellow hummer... shooting out Car tiers... local police with spike belts, would have been a better solution.....

These Cowboy's practice shooting balloons, next to each others head, with pistols..... I don't want them out there doing random traffic stops..... but organised crime bust's .. that might be a different story..... then it might help being a little crazy.... and not on the take....

What about it Gavin.H ... can you shed some light on this.... you did interview them .... was it just a lucky shot??? ......

S.J.C

I just watched that part again... He waits till the truck is turning into the corner before he fire's. this gives him a quite large target to hit Eg: both rear wheels are lined up.

About a half meter by a meter target.... not that small a target really...

I have done a lot of pistol shooting and hunting... and competitive trap & skeet... now I'm not sure If I could make that shot, first time, from a moving vehicle... but if you practiced that style of shooting, with a good pistol .... It would be allot easier than it look's ..... ..

Now saying all that .... there is no need for Starsky and Huch to go riding around in a bright yellow hummer... shooting out Car tiers... local police with spike belts, would have been a better solution.....

These Cowboy's practice shooting balloons, next to each others head, with pistols..... I don't want them out there doing random traffic stops..... but organised crime bust's .. that might be a different story..... then it might help being a little crazy.... and not on the take....

What about it Gavin.H ... can you shed some light on this.... you did interview them .... was it just a lucky shot??? ......

S.J.C

This was filmed by our Thai producer and cameraman - I wasn't there, so can't tell you. I don't know if the shooting at the tires is what caused the truck to crash, whether the two events are connected. What I can tell you is that what Vera Productions tried to do - until I put a stop to it (they called it being overly creative) - was contrive a storyline that had the truck being stolen in Phuket with TPVs Cim and Tim involved as well as local Phuket police (they're seen peering at a CCTV monitor watching footage of the truck being stolen ... all false) and Pattaya SWAT being scrambled to pursue. When I saw this 'rough cut' I was apoplectic. They tried to fabricate a similar story with a girl who fell off a balcony and hurt her head at the full moon party - they said she'd been raped and even went on to use an interview with TPV Louise about ANOTHER woman, an Australian, who had actually been raped but on Koh Samui and some time before. Keeping this series realITY - with no significant input to the edit - has been a struggle I can tell you, and I finally decided enough was enough.

Ahhh so the show is being edited using diff film from diff locations? Then making it look like it was from the same location?? Now that is pretty bloody devious... so basically we are watching normal fictional tele show instead of the a reality series?

Very disappointing. :)

So you got fired, and are now feeling a bit sorry for yourself?

You're definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, Patsycat. :)

Just another ignorant comment......by you.

Patsycat - no, I wasn't fired. My contract with Vera Productions expired as it was due to. Freelance TV producer/directors work on short-term contracts - very few P/Ds these days are full-time employed staff. Some with the BBC are an exception - but very few compared to how it used to be. And in the case Thai Cops this was my idea, so I would have had to fire myself!! Obviously you prefer fiction to non-fiction. You are perfectly entitled to that.

A big clap :) and thanks :D to Gavin for making this thread more interesting, more understandable and less of a bitch-fight between members who bore the rest of us (trying to win points or up their post totals).

Im afraid Ive given up after episode 4.. do any of the remaining episodes have anything at all intelligent, interesting or exciting?

front-loading - had never heard the phrase but its exactly what occurred to me after watching the decline in content from 1 to 2 to 3 and to 4. I found myself wondering if surveys and research had shown tv companies that people will tune in repeatedly for a whole season so long as the first couple of episodes were good, even if it got boring afterwards. And thats pretty much what youve confirmed. Its such a shame.

S.J.C

You 'watched it again' and saw.... exactly what? I never even saw someone hanging out a window but you reckon you saw a clear side-on shot at the tires? I called BS as soon as I saw that clip. Next time you see a Hummer, look at the size of the windows. Nobody can hang out the side-window of a Hummer with an AK47 Hollywood-style and shoot out the tires of a speeding truck in a narrow street in darkness... sorry!

This was filmed by our Thai producer and cameraman - I wasn't there, so can't tell you. I don't know if the shooting at the tires is what caused the truck to crash, whether the two events are connected. What I can tell you is that what Vera Productions tried to do - until I put a stop to it (they called it being overly creative) - was contrive a storyline that had the truck being stolen in Phuket with TPVs Cim and Tim involved as well as local Phuket police (they're seen peering at a CCTV monitor watching footage of the truck being stolen ... all false) and Pattaya SWAT being scrambled to pursue. When I saw this 'rough cut' I was apoplectic. They tried to fabricate a similar story with a girl who fell off a balcony and hurt her head at the full moon party - they said she'd been raped and even went on to use an interview with TPV Louise about ANOTHER woman, an Australian, who had actually been raped but on Koh Samui and some time before. Keeping this series realITY - with no significant input to the edit - has been a struggle I can tell you, and I finally decided enough was enough.

And the truth prevails... it NEVER HAPPENED!!! Pity the local Thai component decided to hijack the show and make up stories and even happier that you caught them. The speeding truck simply lost control and t-boned the wall, end of.

Now, I hope the remaining episodes feature more Howard's Law (or Judge Howard) and true WS reality instead of that contrived &lt;deleted&gt;.

S.W.A.T. my arse.

He actually said "Relax, relax. Do not resist us, do not resist us. You understand? Do not resist us. Police yeah" The last sentence being the telling part in my opinion.

Apparently he is now on his honeymoon.

Right. So, at the FMP there's theft, drugging/robbery, rape and whatever else. And what is the priority of the fine police force? Busting kids smoking joints.

I had heard about this first a few years ago, from someone who went through the process said it felt it was all so cut-and-dried (no pun intended), that the cops and his defense lawyer were all in it together. Same sentiments were expressed in the second episode by the boyfriend of the Brit girl who got busted (btw, I think in that case the cops were in on it from the dealer level, that's how they knew to search her).

Fookin' pathetic. Those of us who live in these parts are used to this, but I wonder how many foreigners who've never been here are are picking up on this aspect of (non-) law enforcement. Wouldn't it have been something if the cops were brought in on the JJ episode, and in the end we see JJ giving his uniformed pal a piece of take.