Cheapest/least Taxed Cars In Thailand?

badge

Im looking for a small car for Mrs Badge, and am very aware of the large taxes imposed on cars in Thailand. Other than that, I have little/no knowledge of the Thai motor market!

Imported exec cars attract a luxury tax and very large import taxes Im told. Localing manufactured small cars dont suffer from either presumably?

What makes or models are most reasonable to buy in BKK then? And are certain models by the same manufacturer cheaper in BKK than others? If so which? And the prices for Used cars seem to reflect the same highly taxed prices? Does buying new or used make much difference?(other than the usual differences!)

Any feedback greatly appreciated :)

Im looking for a small car for Mrs Badge, and am very aware of the large taxes imposed on cars in Thailand. Other than that, I have little/no knowledge of the Thai motor market!

Imported exec cars attract a luxury tax and very large import taxes Im told. Localing manufactured small cars dont suffer from either presumably?

What makes or models are most reasonable to buy in BKK then? And are certain models by the same manufacturer cheaper in BKK than others? If so which? And the prices for Used cars seem to reflect the same highly taxed prices? Does buying new or used make much difference?(other than the usual differences!)

Toyota Vios and Yaris. Honda City and Jazz. All between 6 and 700k with auto. Used, have a look at taladrod.com or thaivisa classified.

Maybe have a look at the Cherry just arrived from Tata India I tink, Wife said it is Baht360,000 no air con no electric windows.

Looks well made and small enough that even my wife can park it without hitting the cars back and front.

Perhaps you were referring to Chery from a Chinese based firm who have a least one dealership in Bangkok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chery_Automobile

http://www.cheryinternational.com/

http://www.chinacarforums.com/chery_automobile.html

Here is some information on this brand in Thailand

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/03/17...ss_30098061.php

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...ter-thai-market

http://www.thaichery.com/dealer.html official web site in Thailand of Chery, but sensibly only in Thai language

I think the previous post on the Honda or Toyota products might be worth considering. Chery MIGHT continue to be sold and serviced in Bangkok, but there have already been several Chinese small truck brands who departed the Thailand market. The ability to obtain parts, quality of the build, SAFETY, and resale value might swing a vote to Honda or Toyota in Thailand. The tax is based on local content, place of assembly and engine displacement to some extent.

Any made in Thailand= less taxes

I'd second the recommendation of the Proton, esp. Persona CNG for anyone really worried about saving money on tax (such as Badge). The base model comes with manual transmission, and factory-fitted CNG (natural gas) system for 549,000baht inc one years insurance and 5 years 100,000km warranty. Personas are horrible tin-box cars with quite decent Lotus-derived suspension. The CNG system is where you'll save heaps of money esp. in the face of rising fuel prices.

I'd second the recommendation of the Proton, esp. Persona CNG for anyone really worried about saving money on tax (such as Badge). The base model comes with manual transmission, and factory-fitted CNG (natural gas) system for 549,000baht inc one years insurance and 5 years 100,000km warranty. Personas are horrible tin-box cars with quite decent Lotus-derived suspension. The CNG system is where you'll save heaps of money esp. in the face of rising fuel prices.

Not much CNG available outside BKK. I travel Hua Hin- Phuket frequently by car, and no chance to run it on CNG more than half the distance. Besides a female driver who would search for a CNG pump with CNG available, open the hood and refill CNG every 150-200 km?

Edited by katabeachbum

Diesel pickup trucks are the best buy by far. Why do you think there are so many on the roads? They go farther on a liter of diesel than the little match box cars can go on a liter of benzine. They also last a lot longer.

Not much CNG available outside BKK. I travel Hua Hin- Phuket frequently by car, and no chance to run it on CNG more than half the distance. Besides a female driver who would search for a CNG pump with CNG available, open the hood and refill CNG every 150-200 km?

That's a very good point, I assumed the member Badge was in Bk, there aren't many CNG pumps elsewhere. However, getting a Persona with factory-fitted CNG means that you refill next to the fuel cap, no need to pop the hood.

Diesel pickup trucks are the best buy by far. Why do you think there are so many on the roads? They go farther on a liter of diesel than the little match box cars can go on a liter of benzine. They also last a lot longer.

Agreed; pickups are a much better buy all-round, I was just giving advice for a car that a female driver (Badge's wife) might like to drive, but most women might equally like driving pick-ups. My wife refuses to; she's worried what others would think of her.

Maybe have a look at the Cherry just arrived from Tata India I tink, Wife said it is Baht360,000 no air con no electric windows.

Looks well made and small enough that even my wife can park it without hitting the cars back and front.

Hi

Would you buy a car in Thailand without aircon??

What sort of price range are we talking about here?

Do they come with auto transmission? :)

Automatic transmissions are available. When my wife learned to drive, I insisted that she learn in a 4X4 with a manual transmission. After she had her license, I bought her a new Ford Focus Ghia with an automatic transmission. She would now rather drive the manual transmission diesel pickup than the car.

Does this recommendation and the reasons for it extend also to the thai made diesel SUV s?

Does this recommendation and the reasons for it extend also to the thai made diesel SUV s?

You pay a tax penalty for four door pickups and SUV vehicles. A two door is the best buy.

Hi

Would you buy a car in Thailand without aircon??

My question too. I would think you'd have serious window-fogging problems in rainy weather (or the other alternative: drive in the rain with your windows down!). :)

Having seen a number of near new Chery cars start to fall apart from poor quality materials I would avoid them. Broken door handles seem common. There’s a new Chery similar size to a Camry abandoned in a shopping centre carpark near me. The factory fitted plastic is still covering the seats. An engine compartment fire totally ruined the front of the car . Need I say more.

My question too. I would think you'd have serious window-fogging problems in rainy weather (or the other alternative: drive in the rain with your windows down!). :)

Well, the part about driving with your windows ajar whilst raining (which I like to do...silly me) is quite nicely resolved with vent visors. When I bought my Pre-Runner the dealership installed them.

2pc_smoke_b.jpg

You pay a tax penalty for four door pickups and SUV vehicles. A two door is the best buy.

i'm looking at buying the lady a car too, does anyone have any recommendations for two-door diesel trucks? how much can u save generally buying used? i was looking at taladrod.com just for rough figures... it makes me think I'd need to hire somebody impartial to inspect the car for me, since I know absolutely nothing about cars or buying them, are such people available? tip a local mechanic perhaps?

Edited by Svenn

I am of the opinion that unless you know the person who has the truck, that you cannot save enough money to justify buying a used vehicle. Sometimes a farang comes upon tough times and heads back home. If he has a vehicle that he wants to sell, has the service records and has never had a bad accident, then it may be a decent buy. Stripped down new trucks start at about 480,000 baht. They do hold their value very well.

ADDED - Sometimes a company will offer no interest loans with a year of first class insurance. You won't find a zero interest deal at any used car dealers.

Edited by Gary A

• 3 weeks later...

Pickup trucks have the lowest taxes, but they also have a lot more metal to apply the tax to, so cheapest small cars like Vios or City should cost less than a truck, even if it's two door manual workhorse. There will be certainly more comfort and gadgets. I think Vios J is the cheapest, check on Toyota Thailand website.

New cars also run on E20 and don't consume much, so there will be no noticeable difference in fuel cost comparing to trucks, too.

Protons are imported from Malaysia at a very low tax rate and they are cheap.

Doesn't your foot get tired (or does it get annoying having to constantly shift) while driving a manual transmission in stop and go traffic like in Bangkok? I prefer manual transmission normally but I don't live in a big city so I'm wondering what it would be like to drive it in a place like Bangkok.

I would not consider the Protons cheap. I test drove the Gen2 and it is the same class as a Honday City. The City costs 645,000 and the Gen2 630,000. On the resell value in 3 years I am sure the Proton is losing out!

There's a smaller model than Gen2.

And there's also Nissan NV, or Wingroad - looks like a small pickup and costs less than Vios/City.

There's also Chevy Aveo.

Doesn't your foot get tired (or does it get annoying having to constantly shift) while driving a manual transmission in stop and go traffic like in Bangkok? I prefer manual transmission normally but I don't live in a big city so I'm wondering what it would be like to drive it in a place like Bangkok.

I recently bought a car in Bkk, for use in Bkk.

Soo glad that I opted for an Automatic transmission! :) , Never had automatic before (25 years driving in Sweden).

Even Bkk-Taxis are starting to use Auto, 4 years ago I didn´t see 1 Taxi with aut-gear, now almost 50% of new Taxis are automatics.

Tommy

Anyone even considering one of those 360,000 baht Cherry cars should see the video of the European crash tests on Youtube. These are Chinese death traps that literally fold in half in a serious collision. The Chinese want to export them to America but have been blocked in a big part because they cannot be made to meet or suit the US crash standards and liability laws. At least the Yaris and Jazz meet western crash standards and are equipped with reliable airbags. I've concluded that having an accident in Thailand is a matter of when, not if. I would not put anyone I cared about including myself on the road here in one of those Cherry cars, or any Malaysian car.

I recently bought a car in Bkk, for use in Bkk.

Soo glad that I opted for an Automatic transmission! :) , Never had automatic before (25 years driving in Sweden).

Even Bkk-Taxis are starting to use Auto, 4 years ago I didn´t see 1 Taxi with aut-gear, now almost 50% of new Taxis are automatics.

Tommy

I like to shift gears, but living in Bangkok would be too much for me. Until recently, manuals usually got better mileage and had better performance, now I see many of the automatics getting as good or better mileage, and they're much easier to drive.