Thai Airways Ranked In Top Three Airline

george

Now I know why all those government officials were travelling recently. Pay almost nothing for their flight but are then able to vote. When I have had to fly Thai the cabin staff, all bar approx. one each trip, were cr_ap [ready smiles - what rubbish!] and the cabin itself, with its lack of facilities, equally so. An asian poll, eh! Well we all know they speak the truth. N.B. It upsets me for writing the last sentence but unfortunately its true.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem with TG is the complete lack of consistency in terms of hardware and service.

On the same route you can either have an old crappy Airbus 300 with prehistoric seats in C class, or a brand new 777 or A330 with the latest equipments.

Same goes for the service. I fly C or F only, and frankly speaking it is either outstanding or pathetic service. Mo middle ground.

You say completely what I wanted to post in a minute.

Had the same experience a few days ago. Flying CNX - BKK - DPS (Denpasar on Bali). On the way south TG 431, absolute low quality (we even had to exit the plane in BKK via the stairs, like in Bukarest 1989) - same on embarking the flight to DPS !! Meals absolute disgrace, no more choice in row 37 :D . The "omlette with sausage" meal is the same it used to be the last 10 years.

I fly regularly, but stopped using THAI for many reasons (i.e. no onward flight on same day!!). Silk Air and SQ do a MUCH better job for less money. Except this time 2 PAX CNX to Bali for 11,400 Baht and 45,000 miles (once!!). Saved me 20,000 Baht, so I tried THAI again. 

On the way back: New plane - dozens of movies on demand in economy class - good food - very friendly FA - with repeatedly Gin and Tonics without getting the looks - docking to terminal and an onward flight on the same day to CNX.

BKK airport is still lacking good service (no Wireless yet, supposed to come mid Sept.).

As a THAI silver card holder no lounge at BKK :) . Why is that??

If the want to save money, the "management" should maybe consider to make money by allowing silver card holders into the lounge for a fee ( 100 - 200 Baht ??).

Anyhow, if I wouldn't have had the good experience of TG 432, I would fly THAI only when no acceptable choice. 

As a THAI silver card holder no lounge at BKK :) . Why is that??

You will need "GOLD" status for the TG lounge access.

In my view:

Worst Business Class

Worst In-Flight Entertainment

Worst Airplane Fleet

Worst Prices Economy/Business

TG lost my domestic/In'tl business. Very happy with AirAsia, SQ and MH. :D

Agree, cannot possibly believe these 'rankings'

In fact, now I think about it, every three months or so there's an article about a poll whereby Thai is ranked first or second.

These rankings cannot possibly be true.

One small example: "Quick meal service" - this is just rubbush. As well as slow service, I can't count the number of times the wine service has started after 80% of the pasengers have finished their meal.

This poll 'result' is total rubbish.

And of course 'The Nation' didn't bother to print the names of the Airlines who were 'ranked' first, second etc.

Just recently I got an e.mail from Thai Inter, a survey 'to help improve our service'. Three pages of questions about what hi-so magazines I prefer to read, spa services, etc etc.

Not one question about the real services that regular passengers want to receive: check-in, flight lounge, boarding, in-flight, etc.

I wrote a letter to Thai with the details in my paragraph just above. No reply.

I used to fly with them, but the service is xxxx and the cost is also. I use EVA these days as i like to have a choice of films to watch and a good inflight service, I don't think watching two kids films cuts the mustard, and I also never liked it how the cabin crew disappeared half way through the flight to sleep in first class.

I used to work in advertising and you may wish to note if the airline in question happened to do advertising with the publication.

Check out one of the leading auto mags e.g. "Car A named top ten of year" then flip a few pages ahead and the manufacturer has a two page spread.

To any frequent flyer the results of some categories in this poll are just laughable:

TG's business class product outranks Qatar, Malaysia, Virgin? Try telling that to the large number of disgruntled punters who have paid for a lie-flat seat on a long haul flight, only to meet one of Thai's notorious last minute equipment swaps, and then have to sit bolt upright all night.

Suvarnabhumi outranks KLIA?? Schiphol??? There is no credibility here.

THAI wins travellers' admiration

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International is ranked in the top three of the world's best airlines, best business class and best cabin service among frequent flyers in the SmartTravelAsia.com travel magazine poll.

THAI was voted third in "The Best Business Class Worldwide" category and second in "The Best Cabin Service Worldwide". It was the third winner in " The Best Airlines Worldwide 2009" category.

Voters said THAI's brand image has continued to strengthen especially in the crucial service area. Voters were impressed with the ever-present Thai ready smile; the strong South East Asian route network; the "quick" meal services, "ready smiles", and "generally attentive" cabin service. One comment was that THAI's in-flight service was " quite elegant and more consistent in its warmth when compared with other Asian carriers"

SmartTravelAsia.com is the region's dedicated online travel magazine with over one million readers worldwide. The majority of the readers are frequent travelers. This online magazine offers review-based editorial written by seasoned journalists to help the travelers make the best choices for them.

The poll lasted for three months, starting from May to July. Approximately 60 percent of the voters were based in Asia, largely in Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and the Middle East.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-04

B/S

Just another April 1 joke that is either early for next year or late for this one.

No complaints about the service from New Zealand , decent planes, excellent service, friendly cabin staff, so in my opinion they deserve to be ranked number 3

Can we assume that you are filing this post from "In Flight" and have not landed yet.

If and when you are safe and sound on the ground, and free to talk/write, give us another post

Gonzo

To any frequent flyer the results of some categories in this poll are just laughable:

TG's business class product outranks Qatar, Malaysia, Virgin? Try telling that to the large number of disgruntled punters who have paid for a lie-flat seat on a long haul flight, only to meet one of Thai's notorious last minute equipment swaps, and then have to sit bolt upright all night.

Thai is better than Malaysia. As for Bangkok Airways they need to get pilots who know how to land a plane.

Thai is better than Malaysia. As for Bangkok Airways they need to get pilots who know how to land a plane.

What a stupid post! On both counts....

Service is good, extremely good and staff friendly in biz or 1st especially but their hardware (planes) are very aged against the likes of Singapore, Malaysian. Cathay and dare I say China Air. Flew with them a couple of months ago ex Europe and pretty much the same aircraft as 20 yrs ago. They need some serious upgrading to begin to be able to compete with other regional carriers.

Flew with EVA the other week, that's another airline that has its supporters and leaves me asking why ? Rubbish food, rubbish wine and poured from a carton to boot,at least half of the film selection not working and pretty meager selection at that. Cabin staff ok but nothing special. Qatar or SG in a different league to Thai or Eva.

What a load of crap - I live here and have for many years and never would use thai air in a fit, even domestically, i would rather fly bangkok air or air asia just to avoid thai air.

If you probably dig deep, hidden somewhere under the corruption that goes along with swampy and thai air you will probably find thai air owns the website etc that ran the poll, and they probably only surveyed their own staff under the pressure of a bribe :)

I Agree

:) TG beat Garuda. That's an impressive achievement.

Nice bit of promo placement. Decrepit planes, some of the worst on time arrival stats for international carriers in the region, and lacklustre management. MH and SQ have their faults too, but they have a core of loyal PAX/clients, unlike TG. Sorry, but Nok Air and Bangkok Airways do a better job as regional carriers. (And TG has a significant interest in Nok, so go figure.) My last flight on TG to Japan was a depressing litany of failures. Late departing, aged worn out 747, disorganized FAs, pandemonium at the gate and one heck of a hard landing. Nearly missed my connection, and my luggage didn't make that flight. Nope sorry, but TG sucks. My error in not taking the UA flight which always departs and arrives on time and where the FAs as grumpy and miserable as can be can at least get me out of the plane safely in the event of a problem. It was a star alliance option and I made the mistake of letting my sentiments of supporting TG push aside the intelligent choice. Won't make that mistake again next month.

And here's the latest on UA's performance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Canceled-Fli...31#entry2978331

I hope you weren't on this one 'kid. But maybe I do.

Edited by NanLaew

Try flying a 12 hour or more flight with Thai airways! Virtually no flight entertainment! Then decide...What a bogus poll....The only thing I end up doing is convincing myself that although old these are tried and trusted planes!!!! I just flew back to the Uk on Emirates on their new A380 SUPERB!!!! Choice of 11 pre booked meals can pick my own seat..Food was excellent and to boot it was the cheapest fare!! Long live Emirates.........

Samui Airport, the only regional airport on the list, sees over 6 million passengers and more than 15,000 flights per year mainly by Bangkok Airways and other airlines such as Thai Airways International. Samui Airport serves domestic and international direct flights to and from Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Pattaya (U-Tapao), Krabi, Singapore, Hong Kong, Penang and Kuala Lumpur.

This is a good example why figures are always so dodgy. That means 41 flights every day, and an average of 400 passengers on each and every single flight.

Now unless they've suddenly switched to jumbo jets without me looking, it's simply impossible

Looking at the actual report the average of 12 flights a year per person suggests the survey may well have been completed by mostly business class fliers -Given that most of these travellers are perhaps not paying for their own ticket.......then the service is probably the most important aspect of the trip for them.....Thai in flight service is good....so they are up there where they should be.

Take note of some of the comments here too.....Thai staff are excellent with children .......something other airlines appearing to be trying to achieve with sky nannies........or are they for the economy lager louts!!!!...... :)

Flew TG on my very first trip 10yrs ago and they were good. Service was excellent. Then I switched to ME airlines who are cheaper and the standard of service has increased every year acros the board. Currently use Gulf a lot and, well...

Jetstar, the codeshare is great, but Gulf well it's OK on the Bahrain leg. I found the new economy seating has good pitch but the old one was atrocious. Business is good and not that expensive on the long-haul and the lounges are good too.

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International is ranked in the top three of the world's best airlines, best business class and best cabin service among frequent flyers in the SmartTravelAsia.com travel magazine poll.

:):D

thai airways ranked in top 3, I seriously find that very hard to believe though. heres my take on this matter

1. thai airways lost some 41 billion baht, this was reported and did lay off staff

2. due to various conflicts and other parties of interest who seem to be involved with thai airways, it will never even be in the top 10 let alone top 3 in anything

3. Even bangkok airways does better than thai airways. I've flown singapore airlines, cathay pacific & korean airlines and let me tell you there all very similiar in taking care of their customers. Their structure, management, employees is done good.

4. I could fly thai airways if it suddenly became a low budget airline.

WAIT I know top 3 for

1. old airplanes

2. poor services

3. a bankrupt airline still flying

last thing R.I.P. ( rest in pieces ) thai airways

Clearly a survey to try and boost Thaiair's business. So many Rankings by so many different surveys. Its all TOTAL S H I T

There should be a survey about what organization has the best accuracy in surveys :)

What a stupid post! On both counts....

Malaysia need to get somebody who knows how to make proper plane food. Next time I will bring sandwiches.

Or maybe just use Thai.