English National Costume

ThaiPauly

good question! could it have anything to do with dancing around the maypole, you know the one where they have bells on there feet???

You mean Morris Dancers...funnily enough I used to live in the village in England where it originated.

I don't think what they wear would be regarded as a national costume...at least I hope not..it's dying out in England now though. The youngsters think its not very macho to be dancing around with bells on their legs :)

shaved head,white singlet,body covered in tattoos,beer belly,emitting foul language,how's that for a national costume originating from football terraces i would guess and carried overseas with gusto.

I was waiting for a post like this....I'm surpised it took so long :):D

The Thais have theirs as do the Dutch, Germans, French, Scots, Welsh, Irish, in fact most nations have one.

But what is ours?

I have been thinking about this and I can't for the life of me think what it is?

Do we have one??? :):D

The Bowler Hat, the Harris Tweed Jacket, walking sticks and brollies ...

.. Hari Khrisna Robes?

In the county of Dorset where I come from it used to be hobnail boots, woolen socks usually with holes in them, gaiters, corderoy trousers tied at the knees with bailer twine to stop the rats cliimbing up, a smock, a collarless thick woolen shirt, a straw hat, holes optional, a corncob pipe or roll your own cigarettes and a bit of straw to chew when the pipe has gone out.

You talks very sloooowly and measures things in country miles, numbers of pigs and cows and also talks about they dammned vurriners coming in from up Lunnon way and buying farm labourers cottages as second homes and nobody can afford to live in the village any more. :):D

The Thais have theirs as do the Dutch, Germans, French, Scots, Welsh, Irish, in fact most nations have one.

But what is ours?

I have been thinking about this and I can't for the life of me think what it is?

Do we have one??? :):D

Goatskin cloak...blue woad...flint axe.

Dont see many these days. :D

In the county of Dorset where I come from it used to be hobnail boots, woolen socks usually with holes in them, gaiters, corderoy trousers tied at the knees with bailer twine to stop the rats cliimbing up, a smock, a collarless thick woolen shirt, a straw hat, holes optional, a corncob pipe or roll your own cigarettes and a bit of straw to chew when the pipe has gone out.

You talks very sloooowly and measures things in country miles, numbers of pigs and cows and also talks about they dammned vurriners coming in from up Lunnon way and buying farm labourers cottages as second homes and nobody can afford to live in the village any more. :D :D

In other words...THE VILLAGE IDIOT :)