Crackdown On Back-to-back Tourist Visa Applications

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst you could say that the 15 days you get at land borders had a slight effect on a very small number of tourists,

How could you say this? What proof do you have?

It's easy to say! 95% of quoted figures and percentages are made up. :)

I think an important factor will be whether or not the tourism industry will have recovered by then. According to yesterday's Chiang Mai Mail, Chiang Mai alone reports 700,000 tourists less than the previous year and that figure is expected to reach a million by the end of the year. A strong clamp down is certainly not going to help.

Genuine tourists will not be affected by this clampdown, as such it will have little effect on the tourism industry as a whole.

hi guys got back from cambodia yesterday got my 4th back to back 60 day tourist visa ,no problem,had my thai bank book with me but is was not needed no questions asked.so people dont worry.

Since when has Cambodia been giving out Tourist Visas? Why didn't I get a "Breaking News" email in my inbox?.. or is the poster either a)geographically challenged or  :) being trollish?

I think an important factor will be whether or not the tourism industry will have recovered by then. According to yesterday's Chiang Mai Mail, Chiang Mai alone reports 700,000 tourists less than the previous year and that figure is expected to reach a million by the end of the year. A strong clamp down is certainly not going to help.

Genuine tourists will not be affected by this clampdown, as such it will have little effect on the tourism industry as a whole.

That's a very short view. Try thinking about all the consequences.

1. Many of these "not-a-tourist" bring income from overseas which they spend in the country. Tourists they may not be, but their 1000 bahts bills are just as grey as everyone else's. As "farangs", they also tend to use tourist facilities a lot more than average thais do. For instance, how many travel by plane a couple times per month or more and stay in hotels very regularly? I know I do.

Economically speaking, the footprint of the "not-a-tourist" is actually more positive than that of a "genuine tourist".

2. When people turned away from the country and have their visa rejected, do you think it ends there? What kind of press and word of mouth is generated? Do you realize how much long distance tourism relies on word of mouth? People go to Thailand because they have heard it's great or they know someone who went there and loved it, but most of them would barely able to place it on the map otherwise. Now, turn loose several thousands of disgruntled "non-tourists". What kind of word of mouth are you starting? "Thailand's happy days are over."

Look at the larger picture. Tourism is a competitive industry. To the traveller, there are thousands of places vying to capture a slice of that tourist pie. Do you think you can turn away thousands or even tens of thousands of people and not affect the tourist industry... dream on.

The "genuine" tourist may spend 100.000B in one week/year or the "genuine backpacker

tourist may spend 30.000B in one month/year"

The non"genuine"(the infidel?) may spend 100.000B every month in Thailand staying several years.

Some buy houses and condos.

They are trying to get rid of the infidels because they are not helping the tourism industry?

The infidels bring 10times more money, than the one week/year tourist into thailand.

The infidels help Tesco,property developers and the restaurants, the 1weekers help the 3-5star hotels.

Getting rid of the infidels is really not helping anyone.

But I guess staying long time in Thailand is a sin, why buy a house when you cant stay?

The "genuine" tourist may spend 100.000B in one week/year or the "genuine backpacker

tourist may spend 30.000B in one month/year"

The non"genuine"(the infidel?) may spend 100.000B every month in Thailand staying several years.

Some buy houses and condos.

They are trying to get rid of the infidels because they are not helping the tourism industry?

The infidels bring 10times more money, than the one week/year tourist into thailand.

The infidels help Tesco,property developers and the restaurants, the 1weekers help the 3-5star hotels.

Getting rid of the infidels is really not helping anyone.

But I guess staying long time in Thailand is a sin, why buy a house when you cant stay?

Tell it to the Thai authorities............that's my point.

hi guys got back from cambodia yesterday got my 4th back to back 60 day tourist visa ,no problem,had my thai bank book with me but is was not needed no questions asked.so people dont worry.

Since when has Cambodia been giving out Tourist Visas? Why didn't I get a "Breaking News" email in my inbox?.. or is the poster either a)geographically challenged or  :) being trollish?

Since when has Cambodia not been giving out tourist visas? Single entry only, 2 day wait unless pay for express service, which is why most people prefer to go to Vientiane.

Just got back from Vientiane this morning.

I received a Single entry TR (my 3rd back-to-back visa within one year and my 5th entry)... without any red stamp (German national).

A single entry has been applied for cos I will get married within 3-4 weeks, so the visa will be converted to a one year extension afterwards. Therefore, there was no need to apply for a 2 entry TR.

I used an agent in front of the embassy and got the visa within 5 hours. They even delivered to my hotel, where I was waiting.

The total time used for this run was just 36 hrs (bkk-Vientiane-bkk), although I took the bus, not the air plane.

Edited by lucky2103

Hello Kuhn LaGo -- Thank you enlightening me in a PM about your lifestyle... which will remain P.

However, their are gents on this forum -- many of whom with wives and children and are affected by the recent 40k per month marriage visa provisions -- for whom the expenses and effort in obtaining multiple tourist visas are a major financial and personal hardship i.e. travel, overnight hotel, and even purchasing the Lao Tourist visa for 2 days.

So you might be more considerate when writing in public about your 'pittance' round-trip airfare, taxi from Udon Thani airport to the bridge, and paying a Visa agent "No need to show my face... money talks!", let alone (in the Red Stamp Warning topic) about your family trust fund and 2 rai horticultural garden with a pool.

...and if a Thai Embassy or Consul wants to favor you or anyone else with as many Tourist Visas as you or they want, that is the decision of the Thai MoFA... being in the "anti-tourist visa brigade" is like being in the 'anti-weather brigade'...

'hope that you have a pleasant 2 months as a Tourist in the Kingdom.

Anyone now what airline flies BKK - Vientianne -BKK?

And if we fly cna we get the Laos visa on arrival or do we need to apply for one at The Laos embassy in BKK?

Thanks

http://www.laos-airlines.com/?gclid=CKud3Z...CFRYhDQodi2ydqw

http://www.thaiair.com/

It would be much cheaper to fly to Udon with Air Asia and get the mini bus to the border.

Anyone now what airline flies BKK - Vientianne -BKK?

And if we fly cna we get the Laos visa on arrival or do we need to apply for one at The Laos embassy in BKK?

Thanks

http://www.laos-airlines.com/?gclid=CKud3Z...CFRYhDQodi2ydqw

http://www.thaiair.com/

It would be much cheaper to fly to Udon with Air Asia and get the mini bus to the border.

Ok, thanks will look into that, laos airlines would be 267$ for a return trip I just found out.

Since when has Cambodia not been giving out tourist visas? Single entry only, 2 day wait unless pay for express service, which is why most people prefer to go to Vientiane.

There have certainly been times in the recent past when the Thai Embassy in Cambodia refused to give out much of anything but insults and the middle finger. Maybe that has changed...........and that is one of the worst things about the current system from hel_l.....it changes from day to day.

Since when has Cambodia been giving out Tourist Visas? Why didn't I get a "Breaking News" email in my inbox?.. or is the poster either a)geographically challenged or  :D being trollish?

they have been giving them out for along time, made a mistake 90 days and yes you do have to stay two days,makes a nice change from bangkok,boring as hel_l in loas imho :)

i am staying over years in thaialnd from starting investementvisa until tr visa. i am not working, and dont need to work in thailand, bcs its even a worse place for make money,,,its better to spend.

thais know 1 and 1 is 2 but add the third number they are off.

when i am not here in thailand.

1. my parents would not buy a house here like they did, and would not come here

2. this year alone i get 4 new genuine tourits here 2 friends from spain,and 2 from germany , they where never before in thailand, and would even not come here when i am not here.

3. the next 2 friends are comming end of next month

so in total 8 vistitors i can put on my back, who would not come to thailand when i would not been here..

but however i can handle these problems , bcs of 19 yrs thaiexperience,,,nothing new at all,,,,and with money theres everything possible,,,,,,and the people they want to get out, this are the poor ones,,and they not care about visachanges, bcs they already have overstay of 3,5,7, or more years

so far to 1 and 1 and 1 is 3

Since when has Cambodia been giving out Tourist Visas? Why didn't I get a "Breaking News" email in my inbox?.. or is the poster either a)geographically challenged or :D being trollish?

they have been giving them out for along time, made a mistake 90 days and yes you do have to stay two days,makes a nice change from bangkok,boring as hel_l in loas imho :)

They're both boring destinations if you ask me, but you're better off being bored in Laos and getting a double entry tourist visa than experiencing all the excitment of Cambodia (whatever that may be) for a single entry. Penang used to be the dream visa run location - those were the days - 3 entry 6 month tourist visas done by an agent for 200 baht.

Edited by tropo

Since when has Cambodia been giving out Tourist Visas? Why didn't I get a "Breaking News" email in my inbox?
they have been giving them out for along time, made a mistake 90 days and yes you do have to stay two days,makes a nice change from bangkok,boring as hel_l in loas imho  :)

Well that's nice to know. Like JRTexas said, I thought all they gave you was "the middle finger"

Think I'll check the place out for my next "between jobs" Tourist Visa. You're right about Laos. The place is crawling with farang chicks with  hairy armpits and their equally hairy BF's.

Edited by tmark

Rec'd a double w/o red stamp. Many guys on the train had red stamps.

The trip from Pattaya to Vientiane and return via BKK cost B2450

All Food/Water

All Accomd. (2nts)

All Transport (2nd cl fan train sleeper)

All transfers - All.

*I walked to and from Visa consulate

Alcohol not included

I really have the hate on for Vientiane now. Lazy Tuk-Tuk drivers, food a very poor value and rooms even worse.

BTW - NK Train sta to border is B20!

Food court is still pretty much best place to eat in the city for me.

Edited by bangkokburning

I really have the hate on for Vientiane now. Lazy Tuk-Tuk drivers, food a very poor value and rooms even worse.

BTW - NK Train sta to border is B20!

Food court is still pretty much best place to eat in the city for me.

My visa runs cost a lot more because I refuse to rough it on visa runs. The experience is unpleasant enough, so why make it any harder.

If you don't mind spending 400 baht or more (for 2) you can get some really nice food. That's round about the same as I spend in Pattaya per meal.

It would also be interesting to hear of them giving away free microwaves as well I suppose. :)

Not really, just double entry tourist visas.

And I agree with tropo, visa runs aren't for skimping on costs. At the very, very least get yourself a honda wave for the few days and get to see some countryside.

I've spent nearly five months in the country since 1995. If you want to see any of it you will need to at least get up further north than Luang Prabang, certainly not outside VNE imo. I'm up and back in 48 hours. Vientiane is nothing.

I am khon diaw - I like the flavor on the trains. I am not big on air con anyway. I don't like waiting around for people to do things for me, especially at a price. Mixing it up with the locals and food court for me is where its at for breakfast and lunch.

The consulate is an easy albeit hot walk in afternoon but the trip is a rip even at B60.

French food sucks, overworked sauce spilled over a dry piece of meat. Some mediocre Viet food to be had, noting very exotic. All the food on the river in the evening is hugely overpriced. Long gone are days of swilling cheap beer Lao as the sunsets over Thailand.

BTW: If you want cheap t-shirts, go to back of Talat Sao (2/B150). You can get one of those small sandwiches (sm) for 3K Kip on side of T.S. in the am.

Anyway, that's it for me.

Edited by bangkokburning

The consulate is an easy albeit hot walk in afternoon but the trip is a rip even at B60.

easy walk from where? No walk is easy unless you know where you are going. :)

BTW: If you want cheap t-shirts, go to back of Talat Sao (2/B150). You can get one of those small sandwiches (sm) for 3K Kip on side of T.S. in the am.

Maybe not everybody knows Talat Sao = Morning market.

Sorry, but it amazes me that people would walk around Vientiane in the hot sun to save 60 baht on transport. If I was that hard up I wouldn't be living in Asia.

I happily pay 100 baht. You're doing well getting it down to 60 baht.

Map can be found on Thai Embassy site. It is an easy walk, easily navigated and if you start at 0630 and arrive at 0700, it will still be cool. Personally, I have nothing better to do and like to just get out and walk. Keep my girlish figure. Coming back from the consulate, I'm headed to the food court anyway.

Yes, can be hot but nothing a shower won't cure.There is no way I would give those guys B100. This is a B40 moto ride in Pattays and B30 in the provs. That's why they sit around in their tuk'tuks sleeping in hammocks all day.

BTW: there are irratic light blue buses (same that run to border for B50) they run up past the monument and I think Rue Nongbone as well. I think these are 3K.

Anyway, that's it. Not need to worry about that one till next Nov.

Chok Dee

Edited by bangkokburning

• 3 weeks later...