Thai Passport For My Son, Aswell As English...

Hey all,

I'm over in Thailand at the mo visiting my missus and son. Been at embassy yesterday for his passport and birth certificate. Which was suprisingly easy :)

Was gonna go to the amphur or whatever you call it, on monday to get him a Thai passport, as I thought we may aswell get him one, because it must be cheaper here than to get him one later in england... However my missus was talkin to her friend (lol) and she now thinks it's not a good idea. Because if he has a Thai passport they may call him for military service...

Is that true? I would have thought if he is dual nationality he might get away with it... But then I don't really have any idea.

Is it a case of if he is in Thailand they can call him, if he's in England they can't?

My missus now reckons we should wait until he is 21 to get him a Thai passport... Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

He is already a dual Thai/UK citizen, whether you get him a Thai passport or not.

In which case, if he is still living in Thailand he may be liable to military service when he comes of age anyway.

If he enters Thailand on a British passport he will be treated as being a British citizen, not a Thai one. This means he could only stay 30 days unless he got a visa! Not a problem at the moment, as young children are not subject to overstay fines etc. if they enter with their Thai parent, but it will be later.

Up to you, but I'd get him both a Thai and a British passport; using the Thai one to enter and leave Thailand and anywhere else where Brits need a visa but Thais don't, the British one for everywhere else.

Hi,

Definitely get both passports and keep them valid, it's only 1,000B for the Thai passport but you will need to go to the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs for it and not the Amphur.

I have both passports for my step son and he can come and go to England & Thailand as much as he wants......I just wish the Mrs had 2 it would be a lot easier!!!

As far as the national services goes my Mrs says (ha!!) he won't need to do it, but I would be interested in a definate answer to that myself!

Andy

Young men are chosen for the lottery from their house registrations.

If they live abroad and aren't in a house book, they won't be expected to report.

I think they can be drafted through 30 years old. There are a couple who post here who have personal experience.

At the moment, they can get an exemption if they study the military course (like ROTC?) in high school.

If they decide to live in Thailand, they might at sometime be asked for proof of service or exemption for some jobs.

Get the passport as you might have a problem leaving Thailand. I think they will not let you take him out unless you have a Thai passport as they will be no Tm card in it..Also you and your wife need to go to get him a Thai passport. Anything can happen in the future but more than likely I think he would not be called up if living abroad.

Young men are chosen for the lottery from their house registrations.

If they live abroad and aren't in a house book, they won't be expected to report.

I think they can be drafted through 30 years old. There are a couple who post here who have personal experience.

At the moment, they can get an exemption if they study the military course (like ROTC?) in high school.

If they decide to live in Thailand, they might at sometime be asked for proof of service or exemption for some jobs.

ie me..

totally correct post.

He is a thai citizen by birth....so if he is living in Thailand at the time he turns 18 he'll be expected to report, like all other Thai males. Whether they have a Thai passport or not isn't they key issue. Thousands of Thai men are called up each year....most of them don't have a Thai passport, but all of them are Thai citizens of a conscription age.

If he is living outside of Thailand at the time, he won't be expected to report. If he stays out of Thailand till he is 30 he'll be automatically release from duty....like I was (though you still have to report to get your exemption papers....)

So having both passports isn't going to harm him. Living in Thailand between 18 and 30 will put him on the radar for service though. Two offical ways out of that. Do 'cadets' during high school for three years on a weekday afternoon (can be done during university in Thailand too I've been told). Or enter university, but that only delays it, till you graduate.