My Parents Are Coming To Visit..

ha55ha

Hey everyone, I have my parents coming to visit next week for 2 weeks and I am slightly worried they won't have enough to do/get bored.

They are "closer :D " to being your age I believe, in their early 50's, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on some things to visit? I've been here 4 months now but all I have done is visit the vast choices of bars and discos and slept. So I don't think they will particularly want to follow in my style of Chiang Mai living!

So far on the list I have-

Doi Suthep

Night Bazaar

Sunday Walking Market

Old City + temples

Golf for dad, Spa for Mum.

That's it :)

Anything I am obviously missing? Or anything that is not too well heard of, that you know about, and would like to share?

PS on a side note I also need to rent a car for the 2 weeks. Does anyone know of a decent/trustworty place I can do that?

Thank you for your help

Make sure they go round Mae Rim, there is the Tiger kingdom, the elephant farm, the monkey and snake shows etc etc.

Then theres the zoo.

Have a look in many hotel reception areas for leaflets and there are lots of things to do around Chiang Mai.

Regarding a car I always use Pop's round the moat there is 3 maybe 4 shops near Taepae gate. Never had any problem with them in 4 years. Prices are usually around 1000 thb a day, but if your hiring for more than a week you will get a discount.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ha55ha,

The usual good things you listed usually work; I might throw in the standard trip out to Mae Sa : see Elephants, ride Elephants, see Monkey Show, see Orchid Farm, etc. Doi Inthanon with a stop to visit Wat Chom Thorn on the way might be nice depending on weather. One day in Lampang and ride around in horse-drawn carriage. For a shopping contrast to the night bazaar, a day trip out to Hang Dong to Baan Tawai ?

"I also need to rent a car for the 2 weeks. Does anyone know of a decent/trustworty place I can do that?"

North Wheels, Thanon Kotcharsarn.

"I've been here 4 months now but all I have done is visit the vast choices of bars and discos and slept. ... snip ... Anything I am obviously missing?"

Intelligence.

best, ~o:37;

Hey everyone, I have my parents coming to visit next week for 2 weeks and I am slightly worried they won't have enough to do/get bored.

Gadens and Floral Exhibitions:

1. Queen Sirikits Botanic Gardens near the Mae Sa Elephant Camp. 27kms NW of Chiang Mai. That's the 107 to Mae Rim (18kms) where you turn Left to Samoeng. Its well signposted.

2. Royal Flora Ratchaphruek. Its South down Canal Road (the 121). Very well signposted with big blue signboards. I'm not sure of the distance; guessing, I'd say 12kms. Its free.

Both these Exhibition Gardens are magnificent. Few people would be bored by a day or half a day's visit. No. 1 is CLOSED on Mondays.

They are "closer :) " to being your age I believe, in their early 50's, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on some things to visit? I've been here 4 months now but all I have done is visit the vast choices of bars and discos and slept.

One of these days you should consider giving your liver a rest and getting out of bed and seeing some of the beautiful sights here.

Seriously now, I'm not in any way criticizing your lifestyle at all. But there is so much to see. I had many younger friends when I lived in Prague who after 4 years had never visited any of the many castles, museums and art galleries, or been to the Bohemian mountains, countryside, or to the lakes. But they could tell you about every bar and night club in town and which DJ's were where. You would be surprised at how many lovely young Thai ladies will be impressed if you have some cultural and historical knowledge of their city/country.

Your parents may enjoy the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek as another member recommended. Also Tweechol Botanical Garden on the way to Doi Saket is beautiful. Doi Inthanon is not to be missed. Hill Tribe villages may be interesting for them.

Have fun!

Given the time drive up to Chiang Saen stay in one of the hotels overlooking the Golden Triangle, up to Mai Sai to get their Burma chop and then a pretend trip to Laos across the Mekong on a longtail.

My aged p's where here 2 years ago and they said that was one of their highlights- BTW - they are in their eighties.

They are "closer :) " to being your age I believe, in their early 50's, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on some things to visit? I've been here 4 months now but all I have done is visit the vast choices of bars and discos and slept.

One of these days you should consider giving your liver a rest and getting out of bed and seeing some of the beautiful sights here.

Seriously now, I'm not in any way criticizing your lifestyle at all. But there is so much to see. I had many younger friends when I lived in Prague who after 4 years had never visited any of the many castles, museums and art galleries, or been to the Bohemian mountains, countryside, or to the lakes. But they could tell you about every bar and night club in town and which DJ's were where. You would be surprised at how many lovely young Thai ladies will be impressed if you have some cultural and historical knowledge of their city/country.

Your parents may enjoy the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek as another member recommended. Also Tweechol Botanical Garden on the way to Doi Saket is beautiful. Doi Inthanon is not to be missed. Hill Tribe villages may be interesting for them.

Have fun!

I 100% agree with you and hopefully the two weeks whilst my parents are here I will get to see a lot of Chiang Mai that I have been missing out on.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm going to make an itinerary of everything they might like to do and see what they think about it. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated. I'm quite worried that they won't enjoy themselves but a lot of your suggestions sound great.

Take dad to Sayuri whilst mum is at the spa.

Do they have a pensioner discount and a c/v team on the premises?

C'mon mate, ha55ha's dad is only in his early 50's, surely he could handle an experience such as the fair ladies at Sayuri could give him.

Us old farts in our 70's and 80's can take it so a youngster in his early 50's won't even need any pharmaceutical assistance.

I'm sure they would love the Queen Sirikit Botanic Gardens.

Some of us rode our bicycles there Saturday. Easy ride of about 60k round trip from CM.

You can always drive a car also.

Had a great lunch at the top of the park. It was one on the nices parks I have seen.

post-10139-1253452158_thumb.jpg

post-10139-1253452188_thumb.jpg

Given the time drive up to Chiang Saen stay in one of the hotels overlooking the Golden Triangle, up to Mai Sai to get their Burma chop and then a pretend trip to Laos across the Mekong on a longtail.

My aged p's where here 2 years ago and they said that was one of their highlights- BTW - they are in their eighties.

I agree, get them out of town. Take them up to the Chiang Dao Caves, and then up to Thaton or Mae Salong for the night. Let them take the boat down the Kok River to Chiang Rai, pick them up and spend a night at Chiang Saen. Take the road back through Chiang Rai stopping at Charin Garden for a piece of pie.

If you rent a car you could take an over night trip up to the Golden Triangle. The glass castle is along the way. The Golden Triangle is on the Mekong River at the junction of Burma, Laos and Thailand. You could take a side trip to Mai Sai for shopping.

Golden Triangle

Golden_Tiangle_4.sized.jpg

Golden_Tiangle_2.sized.jpg

There are also the more simple things to do around Chiang Mai that don't cost any money...

Such as a walk along the creek trail that starts off the road up to Doi Suthep. Its a nice walk in the woods.

Doi_Suthep_trail_9.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_5.jpg

You can also go out to the lake a few miles from town (north west corner beyond the stadium)

Bom_friend_3.jpg

It's about a 3 or 4 km walk around the lake... or you can drive.

Chiang_Mai_lake_7.jpg

1. Queen Sirikits Botanic Gardens near the Mae Sa Elephant Camp. 27kms NW of Chiang Mai. That's the 107 to Mae Rim (18kms) where you turn Left to Samoeng. Its well signposted.

2. Royal Flora Ratchaphruek. Its South down Canal Road (the 121). Very well signposted with big blue signboards. I'm not sure of the distance; guessing, I'd say 12kms. Its free.

Both these Exhibition Gardens are magnificent. Few people would be bored by a day or half a day's visit. No. 1 is CLOSED on Mondays.

if youre going by Ratchaphruek, try and stop @ Khao Mao Khao Fung for Dinner/late lunch,

worth a visit!!

Three weeks ago we went to Pai for a very relaxing two days via SGA Airways. We noted that Pai seemed to have all the common Thai tourist attractions (elephant camp, Hill Tribe visits, white and regular water rafting, spas) but everything was right there -- not an hour plus drive from town. The flight was great. We got to see some wonderful scenary in the 25 minute flight and the hotel picked us up at the "airport" in Pai (really just a runway). We got one of the SGA package deals with a resort that was very nice. We commented that if we had friends or relatives visiting for several weeks we'd send them up to Pai via SGA for a couple of days to do some of the standard Thai tourist things and get out of our hair for a while. A three week visit can become rather long.

Three weeks ago we went to Pai for a very relaxing two days via SGA Airways. We noted that Pai seemed to have all the common Thai tourist attractions (elephant camp, Hill Tribe visits, white and regular water rafting, spas) but everything was right there -- not an hour plus drive from town. The flight was great. We got to see some wonderful scenary in the 25 minute flight and the hotel picked us up at the "airport" in Pai (really just a runway). We got one of the SGA package deals with a resort that was very nice. We commented that if we had friends or relatives visiting for several weeks we'd send them up to Pai via SGA for a couple of days to do some of the standard Thai tourist things and get out of our hair for a while. A three week visit can become rather long.

A couple of days in Pai is a good choice for visitors, but part of the experience is the scenic (and winding) 1095 road between Mae Taeng and Pai. No need to fly. It's only a three hour drive.

A couple of days in Pai is a good choice for visitors, but part of the experience is the scenic (and winding) 1095 road between Mae Taeng and Pai. No need to fly. It's only a three hour drive.

I agree. What a great scenic ride that is... if you survive the crazy Thai van drivers. Get somebody else do drive though. If he is sensible, the driver is too busy minding the road to look at the scenery.

I couldn't have asked for better info and ideas, thanks a lot everyone.

Chiang Rai, the golden triangle and Pai all sound amazing so we will definitely head that way for a few days. Will it be safe to drive up that way on or own? Or would it be better to take a tour or hire a driver?

The updated list-

Doi Suthep

Night Bazaar

Sunday Walking Market

Old City + temples

Golf for dad (aka Sayuri), Spa for Mum.

Mae Rim - Tiger kingdom, the elephant farm, snake shows, Queen Sirikits Botanic Gardens

Lampang and horse-drawn carriage

Shopping in Hang Dong, Baan Tawai

Royal Flora Ratchaphruek and Khao Mao Khao Fung for Dinner

Doi Saket, Tweechol Botanical Garden

Doi Inthanon and Hill tribe villages

Khum Khantoke cultural show.

this

this

Take them up to the Chiang Dao Caves, and then up to Thaton or Mae Salong for the night. Let them take the boat down the Kok River to Chiang Rai, pick them up and spend a night at Chiang Saen. Take the road back through Chiang Rai stopping at Charin Garden for a piece of pie.

and this

over night trip up to the Golden Triangle. The glass castle is along the way. The Golden Triangle is on the Mekong River at the junction of Burma, Laos and Thailand. You could take a side trip to Mai Sai for shopping

all sounds really good. How many days would be best to plan this for? Will driving on our own be ok? How would I go about planning a hotel, boat ride and anything else we would need? Would heading to a tour shop and booking with them be the best idea or will it be better just to go on our own?

Sorry for all the repeat questions and I'll google/search this forum for them now so maybe you wont need to reply :)

Both these Exhibition Gardens are magnificent. Few people would be bored by a day or half a day's visit. No. 1 is CLOSED on Mondays......... WRONG!! WRONG!!

Sorry, I've just been glancing through this interesting thread again only to find my contribution included incorrect info. ITS N0. 2 that's CLOSED on Mondays. :)

I couldn't have asked for better info and ideas, thanks a lot everyone.

...all sounds really good. How many days would be best to plan this for? Will driving on our own be ok? How would I go about planning a hotel, boat ride and anything else we would need? Would heading to a tour shop and booking with them be the best idea or will it be better just to go on our own?

Sorry for all the repeat questions and I'll google/search this forum for them now so maybe you wont need to reply :)

When my g/f's relatives from the south of Thailand came up here earlier this year, they booked a mini-van and driver for 2 days and gave the driver a list of all the places they wanted to see. The guy was great, he studied the list for quite some time and made a plan/itinerary and stuck to it like clockwork. They had seen Doi Suthep many times so we skipped that. In just 2 days we went to Doi Inthanon, Chiang Dao cave, San Khampeng Hot Springs, all the Mae Rim attractions, Royal Flora Ratchaphruek, a hill tribe village, Night Bazaar, Sunday walking street market, Ban Tawai, Chiang Mai Cultural Center for dinner and maybe some other places which I forget now. We left at promptly 7:30 each morning and finished up around 11:00 in the evening. It was exhausting but we slept a little in the mini-van as we traveled and we could relax and enjoy the sights. I think the driver charged them about 1300 each day + gasoline. It was too much for just 2 days but the mini-van idea is a good one.

As far as hotels are concerned (such as in Doi Mae Salong, Chiang Rai, etc., etc...) you could look at many choices and book on-line.

If you go to Mae Sai be sure to hike up the stairs beyond this Buddha...

Mae_Sai_5.sized.jpg

It's at the end of the covered shopping street up the hill on the Thailand side. There is a great view of the valley from the temple at the top of the hill. The little stream separates Burma from Thailand..

Mae_Sai_11.jpg

IMGP2747.jpg

And after all your strenous efforts maybe your parents may be so enthralled with Chiang Mai they'll decide to shack up with their wonderful son for six months. :)

This might also be the start of your glittering new career, in partnership with the mini van driver,as an independent tour guide.

They are "closer :D " to being your age I believe, in their early 50's, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on some things to visit? I've been here 4 months now but all I have done is visit the vast choices of bars and discos and slept. So I don't think they will particularly want to follow in my style of Chiang Mai living!

So far on the list I have-

Doi Suthep

Night Bazaar

Sunday Walking Market

Old City + temples

Golf for dad, Spa for Mum.

That's it :)

Anything I am obviously missing? Or anything that is not too well heard of, that you know about, and would like to share?

PS on a side note I also need to rent a car for the 2 weeks. Does anyone know of a decent/trustworty place I can do that?

Thank you for your help

First thing you do is buy the Chiang Mai Nancy Chandler map,the best 200 baht you will ever spend and available everywhere.that will keep you going for a month or 2 believe me. Another new attraction not on the map yet as it officially opens in October but can be visted now is La Bhu Salah. Just before you get to the hot springs at Samkhapaeng its on the right hand side.Its a restaurant /gallery /accom concept where you can learn creamics ,batik , jewelry making ,thai cooking etc etc. Stay a day or a week or just go for a vist. I hope they do well as CM needs the less "commercial" attractions. Tiger Kingdom ,Monkey show for me to be avoided and I sincerely hope they are closed down in the near future which will not happen of course !