Halfords Equivalent In Thailand

In the UK we have a chain of motor accessory shops - Halfords. Not the greatest shops in the world but useful for run of the mill car bits and pieces and tools. Also good for buying oil, car shampoo and similar items.

Which brings me to the main point of this post. Where can I buy screen wash - the stuff that you add to the water in your wash bottle? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Tesco, Big C, Carrefour, all have plenty of shampoo, oil, distilled water, leather polish, etc. etc. but no screen wash that I can find - unless it's called something totally different here and I'm just not recognising it. Halfords would have it, of course, but we don't have one of those in Pattaya, as far as I'm aware.

So, folks, could you recommend a good motor accessory shop that might possibly have screenwash (Pattaya area)?

By the way, using washing-up liquid as a substitute is a good way of knackering your washer pump so I would prefer not to use this 'easy' option.

Any help would be appreciated.

DM :o

In the UK we have a chain of motor accessory shops - Halfords.  Not the greatest shops in the world but useful for run of the mill car bits and pieces and tools.  Also good for buying oil, car shampoo and similar items.

Which brings me to the main point of this post.  Where can I buy screen wash - the stuff that you add to the water in your wash bottle?  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Tesco, Big C, Carrefour, all have plenty of shampoo, oil, distilled water, leather polish, etc. etc. but no screen wash that I can find - unless it's called something totally different here and I'm just not recognising it.  Halfords would have it, of course, but we don't have one of those in Pattaya, as far as I'm aware.

So, folks, could you recommend a good motor accessory shop that might possibly have screenwash (Pattaya area)?

By the way, using washing-up liquid as a substitute is a good way of knackering your washer pump so I would prefer not to use this 'easy' option.

Any help would be appreciated.

DM  :D

Come on people! I don't believe that there is absolutely no info on this topic. Am I the only Forum member that drives a car in Pattaya or are we really in a car accessory desert here?

DM :o

Everything in Thailand is done the easy way. If you can't find it it is probably because nobody wants to buy it.

BTW I never used something else, never heard it was bad for the pump? Why would it be, i would like to know?

Edited by Khun Jean

Try using Methylated Spirits. Start with a quarter cup full in the washer tank and see how that works. I've used it for years and had no problems with pump damage. Metho is also good for getting the splattered bugs off your car.

NL

a couple of squirts of tescos shower gel in the screenwash bottle seem to do the trick. will shift all but the stickiest bugs .

if you use the citrus one you get a pleasant citrus aroma through the air vents too.

mmmmmmmmmm nice ! :o

Everything in Thailand is done the easy way. If you can't find it it is probably because nobody wants to buy it.

BTW I never used something else, never heard it was bad for the pump? Why would it be, i would like to know?

Washing-up liquid contains phosphate to help get rid of the grease on your dirty plates and dishes. This is bad news for metal components in the pump. These days I suppose most of the components are likely to be plastic so the problem might not be as bad. A few years ago the washer pump on my Triumph failed through corrosion and I had been using W-U-L in that. Have always used the proper stuff since then - until now.

I'm sure I've seen it next to the leather polish / car wax / etc. in the emporium (food court floor - between the food and Power Mall).

That, and I know the Mall in Bangkapi also sells that sort of thing. I would have thought Tesco in Pattaya was a good bet - have seen similar stuff in other Tescos in Bangkok, but the Pattaya one's relatively small..

• 13 years later...
21 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I found small bottles in the Mr fix it type pound shops in Bangkok.

@doctormann not sure if you know but there is one of these shops in Tuccom - 3rd or 4th floor I think. 

Just noticed the original post was from 2005..............????

Edited by topt

Good Grief!  This thread has suddenly been resurrected after being asleep for more than ten years!

Not a problem for me any more as I have given up driving anyway because of advancing decrepitude!  I think that my wife just gets Honda to top the reservoir up when she takes the car for its service.  just shows how much she doesn't use the wash/wipe!  As a previous poster once said, this might be a bit technologically advanced for a Thai driver!

referring to the original post and to other readers, let's not forget that no one in Thailand ever replaces the wind screen wiper blades that contributes significantly to the problem of dirty wind screens...I had to point this out to the step daughter twice when she took the pickup in for routine servicing...

Very true!

Not sure why they are so fond of lifting the wipers off the screen when the vehicle is parked.  Someone told me that it's to stop them sticking - which they wouldn't do on a clean screen anyway.  I would have thought that this habit is counterproductive as it exposes the 'cutting edges' to the ambient UV radiation and this must surely hasten their degradation.

Amazingly, my better half (Thai) did say that she was going to get the blades changed, at the last service, as the screen wasn't cleaning too well.

19 minutes ago, happylarry said:

I cant believe no one has suggested simple blue glass cleaner which is sold in every shop and supermarket. I have used that for many years and it does the job perfectly...after all it is what you use when cleaning the windows with a cloth.

HL

Good idea!  Now, that's thinking outside the box!