Bangkok Is The #50 Most Expensive City To Live In

george

london only dropped due to the exchange rate it is still a rip off

Sounds like you want the moon on a stick for a quid!

I was out and about yesterday-the price rises in Bangkok shocked me. I notice it's all the same crax on the street stalls, same old pollution, no progress, less and less value for money. Only place where the internet seems to have deteriorated over the years.

Bangkok is the #50 most expensive city to live in, a jump from #61 last year.

London dropped from 1st to 21st place.

-- Source: http://www.citymayors.com/economics/expensive_cities2.html

The data was collected by several independent observers in each city

From the article. So I kind doubt the reliabilty of this because based on my indepentdent observation I don't agree. For example the only thing cheaper in Manila over Bangkok is beer.

Bangkok is the #50 most expensive city to live in, a jump from #61 last year.

London dropped from 1st to 21st place.

-- Source: http://www.citymayors.com/economics/expensive_cities2.html

The GBP has been devalued against all major currencies, it will drop further once the extent of the mire the British economy is in is known. This coupled with a rise in the cost of accomodation, beer etc., in Thailand does not bode well for Tourists from the UK. In fact with lack of jobs, more redundancies not many Brits can afford to go anywhere in the same numbers as 3-4 years ago.

How can London be more expensive than Tokyo? I have lived in both and London is cheap compared to Tokyo. So much to market research?

When they figure this out do they add in the cost of lung disease due to horrific air? If so, Bangkok surely is one of the most expensive cities to die in.........sorry, live in.

It certainly hasn't 'felt' like a good deal for the last couple of years. It seemed like a lot of things were getting more expensive. I am fairly well settled, so it doesn't affect me a lot, but new employees always seem to end up renting for higher prices etc. etc.

truely a unique species. The only one which

....straps bomb belts on to kill others of its own species

.....torture its own

..... and increases the price of a residence according to how crowded and noxious the place is. In other words, the more inhospitable a place, the higher its property cost.

sorry, I just dropped my newly buttered toast face down on the floor. Maybe I should go back to bed and get up again on the other side.

:) I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand last summer mostly Bangkok,time in Hua Hin and Buriram. I definitely notice everyting was more expensive from two years ago when we left. trading in USD didn't help for me. When comparing prices relative to the exchange rate many things were as expensive to slightly less expensive than in US. I think in The US now we are seeing deflation.

LL

:) I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand last summer mostly Bangkok,time in Hua Hin and Buriram. I definitely notice everyting was more expensive from two years ago when we left. trading in USD didn't help for me. When comparing prices relative to the exchange rate many things were as expensive to slightly less expensive than in US. I think in The US now we are seeing deflation.

LL

I agree. There's an old myth that all things are cheaper in Thailand than in the US. Some things are indeed cheaper, such as local food, repair work and prostitutes. However, a whole raft of things are more expensive in Thailand than in the US. I could make a list several pages long. Instead, I'll say a few words: thrift stores, garage/yard sales, bulletin boards, classified ads are essentially not found in Thailand. Also, any quality electronic gizmo and any vehicle (new or used) will be higher priced in Thailand.

It's sad, particularly for poor Thais, that the whole country's consciousness insists every purchase must be new. It's partly retailers who feed this ridiculous mentality, but it's also Thais' superstition which bogs them down in believing 2nd hand items have previous peoples' vibe (or maybe even ghosts!).

If 2nd hand items became vogue, as they have in the States, then the amount of money saved by poor people would be phenomenal - possibly 1/3 of all their spending would be saved, rather than going in to retailers' pockets. If Thai leaders really wanted to do what was best for the downtrodden, they would address the issue of enabling people to purchase 2nd hand items. If they don't know how to go about it, they can contact me. I have a detailed blueprint for how Thais can save billions of baht in this manner. Jing Jing!

Edited by brahmburgers

How can London be more expensive than Tokyo? I have lived in both and London is cheap compared to Tokyo. So much to market research?

When they figure this out do they add in the cost of lung disease due to horrific air? If so, Bangkok surely is one of the most expensive cities to die in.........sorry, live in.

It seems the only way to stay ahead of the cost increase in Thailand is to own your own place so at least inflation does not effect your housing, and then easier to deal with everything else that keeps going up. It seem the economic system do not apply to Thailand, although everyplace else had defilation prices in Thailand still went up

That and making sure your income streams keep increasing.

:)

Not easy to do in a recession, and the one in Thailand will take a few years to work through.

Even disregarding exchange rates, I've just noticed prices on the increase full stop. The quality isn't good over here too.

I agree housing is still cheap, and it's a good idea to buy or an apartment. Then you've a cheap base to work out, and a comfy pad to 'shelter' from the economic storm.

Like many of my friends I now have to lead a very careful lifestyle, and spend increasing amounts of time in my apartment. I simply can't justify going out, and in any case don't like paying good money for worse product and service.

Not easy to do in a recession, and the one in Thailand will take a few years to work through.

Even disregarding exchange rates, I've just noticed prices on the increase full stop. The quality isn't good over here too.

I agree housing is still cheap, and it's a good idea to buy or an apartment. Then you've a cheap base to work out, and a comfy pad to 'shelter' from the economic storm.

Like many of my friends I now have to lead a very careful lifestyle, and spend increasing amounts of time in my apartment. I simply can't justify going out, and in any case don't like paying good money for worse product and service.

Haven't noticed too many price increases myself, but my basket of products may be fairly limited. Utilities, groceries (including alcohol), dining out (maintstream middle of the road Mall/Central/etc., not upscale), gent's club bills, fitness membership, all seem about the same. Can't say I've noticed any drop in quality... although I have noticed that people in general tend to be little grumpier (who wouldn't be in a recession?). Sometimes service staff aren't in a good mood and I might get a downer of a service provider (waitress, masseuse, customer service rep., etc.) once in awhile but more often I find folks appreciate regulars and decent spenders/tippers even more.

Yeah, it's not easy to start doing that for sure. But if it was your plan all along, no reason why you can't keep even keel through all kinds of weather.

:D

Haven't noticed too many price increases myself, but my basket of products may be fairly limited. Utilities, groceries (including alcohol), dining out (maintstream middle of the road Mall/Central/etc., not upscale), gent's club bills, fitness membership, all seem about the same. Can't say I've noticed any drop in quality... although I have noticed that people in general tend to be little grumpier (who wouldn't be in a recession?). Sometimes service staff aren't in a good mood and I might get a downer of a service provider (waitress, masseuse, customer service rep., etc.) once in awhile but more often I find folks appreciate regulars and decent spenders/tippers even more.

Yeah, it's not easy to start doing that for sure. But if it was your plan all along, no reason why you can't keep even keel through all kinds of weather.

:D

Prices in the supermarket seem to have increased quite a bit over a year say, although there's been a few bargains also. The bills you've outlined are not run of the mill at all. Alcohol, surely has increased? It sounds to me that you are in the 'well off' category and don't have much to worry about. I was down in Surat last week with the in laws, the increase in a basic familiy's shopping bills 2 years beggars belief.

It was in and around Sukhumvit where I was shocked by menu price increases. I double checked with a friend later and he confirmed it was like that in a lot of places.- 50% increases at a slash.

Further a friend of mine rolled up at his usual hotel only to find prices had increased from 1400bt to 2700bt.

I agree we have to get along as best we can and in fact prices may have been overly cheap for many years. Nevertheless, as an Englishman suffering the triple whammy of a 25% debvaluation, increased prices, and a drop in business revenue, you'll understand my concern.

Put it this way, I hope it's not the shape of things to come, but have a feeling it is.

If your not following the "tourist trail" Bangkok can still be pretty good value, the price gouging in touristy places is a joke though. It would be interesting to see where Bangkok ranked 4-5 yrs ago, imo thats when the prices started to rise much more quickly than inflation, probably at triple that rate. :)

truely a unique species. The only one which

....straps bomb belts on to kill others of its own species

.....torture its own

..... and increases the price of a residence according to how crowded and noxious the place is. In other words, the more inhospitable a place, the higher its property cost.

sorry, I just dropped my newly buttered toast face down on the floor. Maybe I should go back to bed and get up again on the other side.

Best watch what you do in bed ! the price of baby milk and nappies are serious in Thailand :)

If your not following the "tourist trail" Bangkok can still be pretty good value, the price gouging in touristy places is a joke though. It would be interesting to see where Bangkok ranked 4-5 yrs ago, imo thats when the prices started to rise much more quickly than inflation, probably at triple that rate. :)

Yes good posting, nevertheless prices are creeping up everywhere, I know they always do but this appears to be more serious than usual to me.

Prices in the supermarket seem to have increased quite a bit over a year say, although there's been a few bargains also. The bills you've outlined are not run of the mill at all. Alcohol, surely has increased? It sounds to me that you are in the 'well off' category and don't have much to worry about. I was down in Surat last week with the in laws, the increase in a basic familiy's shopping bills 2 years beggars belief.

It was in and around Sukhumvit where I was shocked by menu price increases. I double checked with a friend later and he confirmed it was like that in a lot of places.- 50% increases at a slash.

Further a friend of mine rolled up at his usual hotel only to find prices had increased from 1400bt to 2700bt.

I agree we have to get along as best we can and in fact prices may have been overly cheap for many years. Nevertheless, as an Englishman suffering the triple whammy of a 25% debvaluation, increased prices, and a drop in business revenue, you'll understand my concern.

Put it this way, I hope it's not the shape of things to come, but have a feeling it is.

Well I don't really worry about it, but I do think I kind of keep an eye on prices. After all we are both on the consumer, retail, and wholesale side of things. To me it feels that despite spikes in some items, it'll vary by brand a bit, but overall it still feels like it averages out on an acceptable upward trend.

haha what are you guys complaning about

i live in Copenhagen, the third most expensive place to live

and we pay about 40% tax of all we earn per month!!

Yeah but the average salary there is considerably higher than here and what about the social benefits? I lived in Copenhagen for many years and truly love the place. Free education, free medical care , unemployment benefit ( I never used that) etc. Here , dental treatment or hospital costs, even with insurance will soon add up. If I go back there I'll never complain about the high tax.

With the ridiculous prices of property here a house or condo probably costs more in Bangkok than Copenhagen.

Having lived there many years and paying 48% tax or more I still think that generally speaking Danish people have more money to spare. If you want the luxury of a condo on Sukhumvit or eat at international restaurants and have a Thai salary then Bangkok is a very expensive place to live. However, if you choose to live a "Thai style" life then Bangkok is cheaper than Copenhagen.

:D I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand last summer mostly Bangkok,time in Hua Hin and Buriram. I definitely notice everyting was more expensive from two years ago when we left. trading in USD didn't help for me. When comparing prices relative to the exchange rate many things were as expensive to slightly less expensive than in US. I think in The US now we are seeing deflation.

LL

I agree. There's an old myth that all things are cheaper in Thailand than in the US. Some things are indeed cheaper, such as local food, repair work and prostitutes. However, a whole raft of things are more expensive in Thailand than in the US. I could make a list several pages long. Instead, I'll say a few words: thrift stores, garage/yard sales, bulletin boards, classified ads are essentially not found in Thailand. Also, any quality electronic gizmo and any vehicle (new or used) will be higher priced in Thailand.

It's sad, particularly for poor Thais, that the whole country's consciousness insists every purchase must be new. It's partly retailers who feed this ridiculous mentality, but it's also Thais' superstition which bogs them down in believing 2nd hand items have previous peoples' vibe (or maybe even ghosts!).

If 2nd hand items became vogue, as they have in the States, then the amount of money saved by poor people would be phenomenal - possibly 1/3 of all their spending would be saved, rather than going in to retailers' pockets. If Thai leaders really wanted to do what was best for the downtrodden, they would address the issue of enabling people to purchase 2nd hand items. If they don't know how to go about it, they can contact me. I have a detailed blueprint for how Thais can save billions of baht in this manner. Jing Jing!

Boy, you are on-target with your post. I think Thai import taxes greatly raise the price of certain things way above what they cost in other countries. And when it comes to buying second hands items in Thailand, unless it's used vehicles or maybe some cleaned up/repaired shoes, Thai's definitely have a big hang-up about buying anything used. If import taxes weren't so high on many items and if Internet shopping was widely used, the cost of many, many items could be much lower. Buy don't worry, Thailand will catch on eventually; just give it a couple more decades as changes occur very slowly in Thailand....and maybe in another decade Thailand will also have high speed Internet that is truly high speed Internet. I sure like the country but rapid adjustment/change is a slow process in Thailand. :)

I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand last summer mostly Bangkok,time in Hua Hin and Buriram. I definitely notice everyting was more expensive from two years ago when we left. trading in USD didn't help for me. When comparing prices relative to the exchange rate many things were as expensive to slightly less expensive than in US. I think in The US now we are seeing deflation.LL

The subject is about Bangkok's placing against other city's.

Bangkok isn't Thailand, that's a whole different subject if you wish to compare prices for cheaper living.

In Kanchanaburi one can buy second hand from a multitude of places, stalls, markets, shops, roadside

setups, anything from motorcars,washing machines, shoes, clothes, funiture, crockery, in fact anthing you need, these second hand places do a good business, these are well frequented by Thais. When they can get things like 3 pairs of decent jeans or trousers for 100 Baht and they earn 6,000 Baht a month with a family to support they don't think about buying new. I haven't met a country Thai yet that has a problem with second hand shopping.

Well I don't really worry about it, but I do think I kind of keep an eye on prices. After all we are both on the consumer, retail, and wholesale side of things. :)

I agree on the 'consumer, retail side of things' but we are not on the 'wholesale side of things.' Even when we go to places where it's advertised as 'wholesale,' such as Makro (where they sell consumer items in bulk), the discounts from retail are small. Shop owners will make a bunch of noise telling you things are discounted down close to 'wholesale' prices, but if you look closely, the price might be 5% off retail if you're lucky.

In contrast, you go to the States, and discounts are much more generous. Granted, much of it is marketing/publicity hype, but still the comparative prices of the same product (a new car or a name-brand electronic item/computer, for examples) will almost always be higher in Thailand, when the smoke clears.

The subject is about Bangkok's placing against other city's. Bangkok isn't Thailand, that's a whole different subject if you wish to compare prices for cheaper living. In Kanchanaburi one can buy second hand from a multitude of places, stalls, markets, shops, roadside setups, anything from motorcars,washing machines, shoes, clothes, funiture, crockery, in fact anthing you need, these second hand places do a good business, these are well frequented by Thais. When they can get things like 3 pairs of decent jeans or trousers for 100 Baht and they earn 6,000 Baht a month with a family to support they don't think about buying new. I haven't met a country Thai yet that has a problem with second hand shopping.

good point. There are some outlets for some 2nd hand items in outlying areas, and probably in Bkk also. In northernmost Thailand, some of the items you list are available 2nd hand, some are not (furniture, crockery for example). Even so, the availability of 2nd hand items are but a small % of what could be available, if the general attitude about 2nd hand was improved.

Edited by brahmburgers