Performance Chip - Toyota Fortuner

Thaihog

You can just order one off the net.

They take about 5 min to istall, and you don't have to pay the middleman

Is there a Thai supplier online?

I have just purchased a BlueFin from Superchips in the UK for my BMW 320 diesel. This device connects to the OBC port hidden in the A pillar of the car . The bluefin reads the original map in the ECU. The map is then sent to Superchip and the new map is sent back. The new map is then loaded onto the ECU. You can at anytime revert back to the original map when the car goes in for servicing.

Standard power for the 320D is 177bhp and torque 350Nm. After flashing the ECU power is 220bhp and torque is 450Nm. This has resulted in a lot smoother drive in town and a noticeable increase in acceleration, especially when over taking. The mpg is about the same 50mpg.

I have just purchased a BlueFin from Superchips in the UK for my BMW 320 diesel. This device connects to the OBC port hidden in the A pillar of the car . The bluefin reads the original map in the ECU. The map is then sent to Superchip and the new map is sent back. The new map is then loaded onto the ECU. You can at anytime revert back to the original map when the car goes in for servicing.

Standard power for the 320D is 177bhp and torque 350Nm. After flashing the ECU power is 220bhp and torque is 450Nm. This has resulted in a lot smoother drive in town and a noticeable increase in acceleration, especially when over taking. The mpg is about the same 50mpg.

I am usually comfortable about auto terms, once I know what the acronyms mean. I do not know these, so I have to ask: What are you doing with this, reprogramming your firmware to change your performance? And that you do or should change it back when you take the care in for maintenance as the dealer's machines will only recognize the factory set up?

I am usually comfortable about auto terms, once I know what the acronyms mean. I do not know these, so I have to ask: What are you doing with this, reprogramming your firmware to change your performance? And that you do or should change it back when you take the care in for maintenance as the dealer's machines will only recognize the factory set up?

The Bluefin (this is just a trade name used by the manufacturer) is a hand held device that retains both the original and modified maps . The Bluefin unit has a plug to fit the On Board Computer (OBC) port on the car and a separate USB connection for your computer. The OBC provides access to the Electronic control Unit (ECU) that manages the air fuel ratio for the engine. The bluefin enables you to swap between the original or the modified map supplied by Superchips. The main advantage of flashing the ECU is slightly better torque figures compared to a piggyback Unit, also has the ability to restore the car to the original settings. Usually takes about 5 mins to restore the ECU

Edited by Nigelmartin

Nigelmartin

Thanks, that is what I thought. Now if this is so easy to do, what is the penalty that the manufacturer decided was too high/costly to use this setting in the first place? You said your mpg didn't change noticably, but that would be my first guess for most cars.

Nigelmartin

Thanks, that is what I thought. Now if this is so easy to do, what is the penalty that the manufacturer decided was too high/costly to use this setting in the first place? You said your mpg didn't change noticably, but that would be my first guess for most cars.

In the UK market there are many variants of the 3 series, 318d, 320d 325d 330d and 335d. If BMW sold the upgrade version (with 220bhp) of the 320d this may well effect the sales of the 325d and 330d. Marketing I think. I really didn't buy the Bluefin for improving fuel consumption, mainly for in gear performance rather than top speed.

Edited by Nigelmartin