What Bank Gives Best Rate For Pound? Need To Change £5000

i need to change 4-5 k on sat 10th oct when i arrive in los pattaya...what bank is doing best rate ?....or should i hold on to some money and hope that the rates rise again,,but from reading some posts on here that is very unlikely,,i shouldnt of changed 4 mths ago when i could of got 58...hindsights a wonderfull thing :)

i need to change 4-5 k on sat 10th oct when i arrive in los pattaya...what bank is doing best rate ?....or should i hold on to some money and hope that the rates rise again,,but from reading some posts on here that is very unlikely,,i shouldnt of changed 4 mths ago when i could of got 58...hindsights a wonderfull thing :)

How do you intend to get the money across to Thailand? (noted you are requesting from a GBP perspective). Do you have a Thai bank account? or is this cash/cheque/other?

Edited by pkrv

i will be bringing in with me in uk pounds cash....dont want to do swift as it costs £20 and also i last used my thai bank account 1 year ago and dont know if its still open or not but dont really want to take the risk in swift transfer as 4 yrs ago i done one in uk then caught a flight to los when i arrived in los i went to bank and hey presto it didnt go through !! only for a symnpathetic bank manager i would of been properly fkd!!!............how come in thai visa they give 53.1 today for uk pound but other banks ie siam commercial and bank bkk give 50-51 ?

ps,,

incase i do use my abbey bank atm cash card which atms in thailand are still free ?

Edited by dmax

Just a couple of points:

I believe that all international ATM cards are charged 150 Baht a time in Thai ATM's.

Do you really want to carry 5k in cash when a funds transfer costs so little?

HMRC (UK Customs) prohibits UK citizens from taking more than 1k cash out of the country UNLESS they can satisfactorily prove where it came from.

i will be bringing in with me in uk pounds cash....dont want to do swift as it costs £20 and also i last used my thai bank account 1 year ago and dont know if its still open or not but dont really want to take the risk in swift transfer as 4 yrs ago i done one in uk then caught a flight to los when i arrived in los i went to bank and hey presto it didnt go through !! only for a symnpathetic bank manager i would of been properly fkd!!!............how come in thai visa they give 53.1 today for uk pound but other banks ie siam commercial and bank bkk give 50-51 ?

ps,,

incase i do use my abbey bank atm cash card which atms in thailand are still free ?

IMO having a Thai bank account is a massive, massive, advantage. Who are you with?

Take a look at the rates here for Bangkok Bank

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkok%20bank/...s/fx_rates.aspx

You are interested in the bank notes section. The TT rates are better but you pay the SWIFT transfer fee.

IMO deal with - reopen discussion - with your Thai bank THIS IS GOOD STUFF!

Use your Thai banks cash point card to withdraw cash! You will save money big time!

If you have to use your abbey card you should inform them where you will be otherwise the card may not work - This happened to me recently in Hong Kong with Smile.

HMRC (UK Customs) prohibits UK citizens from taking more than 1k cash out of the country UNLESS they can satisfactorily prove where it came from.

Thanks chiang mai - I learn from this forum too - PKRV

Edit - Rather worryingly they may soon be counting the loose change in your wallet!

Edited by pkrv

just bring your ATM card . you can then withdraw at any bank branch - no cost - dont need to use ATMs..

Please explain, for the benefit of the unenlightened, how foreign ATM cards can be used for withdrawals in Thai bank branches (outside of ATM's), without incurring a charge! :)

Edited by chiang mai

just bring your ATM card . you can then withdraw at any bank branch - no cost - dont need to use ATMs..

Please explain, for the benefit of the unenlightened, how foreign ATM cards can be used for withdrawals in Thai bank branches (outside of ATM's), without incurring a charge! :)

I don't think he is saying that - I think clinique is saying use your local banks ATM card.

There is disagreement on the pinned thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Opening-Bank...75&start=75

which also covers bank charges.

What confuses me is why not use it in an ATM? but instead at a branch?

There are some hints on the above thread.

But this is conjecture ONLY!

Use banks ATM machines for withdrawls from the same bank

It seems that if you are in a different province you may be charged even if using the same bank.

It seems that you will be charged if using a different banks ATM

If you are in the same province for example as a Bangkok Bank Head Office customer and use Bangkok Bank ATM's in Bangkok - THERE IS NO CHARGE - I know this for a fact.

Edited by pkrv

I don't think he is saying that - I think clinique is saying use your local banks ATM card.

It seems that if you are in a different province you may be charged even if using the same bank.

If you are in the same province for example as a Bangkok Bank Head Office customer and use Bangkok Bank ATM's in Bangkok - THERE IS NO CHARGE - I know this for a fact.

Indeed, Thailand has a provincial banking system whereby banks in one sector (it's not strictly provinces) compete against and charge banks with the same brand/name in another sector. So, open an account with say Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and use your ATM card local to the opening branch and all transactions are free. But use the same ATM card at a Bangkok Branch in say Bangkok or Phuket and you will be charged for withdrawals and oddly, deposits also.

It always makes me wonder! guys come over here with loads of money but dont want to spend just a little to keep it safe. we read about guys like the OP on TV often. you know the ones who lose all there money they left in the hotel safe through bringing a girl or ladyboy back to there rooms.

dont make yorself a statistic! transfer the money over, use your ATM or bring traveler cheques with you. it costs a little but at least you know it is safe and you can then relax when you bring a friend back to your room, or indeed when you leave your room at least then the staff cannot go through your safe....

Just a couple of points:

I believe that all international ATM cards are charged 150 Baht a time in Thai ATM's.

Do you really want to carry 5k in cash when a funds transfer costs so little?

However, as with cash found by HMRC or

police officers at any place within the UK, if it

amounts to £1000 or more (or the equivalent in

other currencies), it may be seized if the officer

has reasonable grounds to suspect that it is

either the proceeds of, or is intended for use in,

unlawful conduct.

You are here: Excise & Other

Declaring cash when entering or leaving the UK

(Download options for this document)

From 15 June 2007, if you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union (EU), you will need to declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euro or more (or the equivalent in another currency) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

You do not need to declare cash if you are travelling to or from another EU country.

Leaflet - Declaring cash

For the purposes of this requirement, the countries of the EU are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including the Canary Islands), Sweden, and the United Kingdom (not including the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

Declaring cash to HMRC

You must declare cash on duplicate Form C9011, and post the completed top copy 1 in the drop box provided at the port or airport.

You can either pick up the form when you get to the port or airport and complete it there, or you can print it down from this website, which gives you the opportunity to complete it before you start your journey.

HMRC officers may ask to see evidence of your having made a declaration. Therefore it is important to keep a copy of the completed form. This is automatically generated on carbon copy 2 if you make your declaration on a form provided at the port or airport. If you use the printed down form, you will need to photocopy the completed copy 1. (You do not need to complete copy 2 of the printed down form.)

Definition of the term 'cash'

The term ‘cash’ covers:

currency notes and coins

bankers’ drafts

cheques of any kind, including travellers’ cheques.

Your rights if your cash is seized

HMRC officers will only seize cash if they have reasonable grounds to suspect it is the proceeds of, or is intended for use in, unlawful conduct.

Seized cash cannot be kept for more than 48 hours without a court order (not including public holidays and weekends).

A court may order seized cash to be:

detained while investigations are carried out

forfeited permanently if the investigation shows it is associated with criminal activity.

If your cash is seized, you will be given information on how to appeal against the decision.

EU website

Download ‘Regulation 1889/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council’.

Edited by yabaaaa

Indeed, Thailand has a provincial banking system whereby banks in one sector (it's not strictly provinces) compete against and charge banks with the same brand/name in another sector. So, open an account with say Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and use your ATM card local to the opening branch and all transactions are free. But use the same ATM card at a Bangkok Branch in say Bangkok or Phuket and you will be charged for withdrawals and oddly, deposits also.

chiang mai - very many thanks for the clarification - this makes sense of all the comments I have seen so far and my own personal experience. Just to alert you I am posting this reply to the pinned thread on opening a new bank account.

All my withdrawals are from my foreign account/s by ATM, debit card. ( As noted on another thread one of my foreign banks does have an o/seas withdrawal charge, the other does not.)

I do this at the bank counter. There is no service charge and the exchange rate is the same as the one posted at the bank.

The banks are already making money from the posted rate, so there is no need for them to charge a different rate to what is posted, unless thye dont like you and want to rip you off.

I do this maybe 1 or 2 times a month and replenish my Thai savings account, from there I use my Thai ATM/debit card attached to the savings account to puchase locally.No charge.

Through this whole process I am not charged ( unless i withdraw from the one opvereas account which applies a charge) or applied with a penalty exchange rate.

Are you enlightened yet !! :) Happy to explain more by PM.

All my withdrawals are from my foreign account/s by ATM, debit card. ( As noted on another thread one of my foreign banks does have an o/seas withdrawal charge, the other does not.)

I do this at the bank counter. There is no service charge and the exchange rate is the same as the one posted at the bank.

The banks are already making money from the posted rate, so there is no need for them to charge a different rate to what is posted, unless thye dont like you and want to rip you off.

I do this maybe 1 or 2 times a month and replenish my Thai savings account, from there I use my Thai ATM/debit card attached to the savings account to puchase locally.No charge.

Through this whole process I am not charged ( unless i withdraw from the one opvereas account which applies a charge) or applied with a penalty exchange rate.

clinique - very many thanks for taking the time for the update. This reminds me of Hong Kong and the airport express. Buy your ticket at a machine and you are charged more than for buying it from the counter!

From my western perspective it would not even occur to me to use the counter for a cash withdrawal (actually I suspect you are putting the money directly into your Thai bank account). If you attempted this in the UK it would raise a few eyebrows and probably incur a fee!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be branch dependent but will give this a go next time (Christmas). Thanks PKRV

Edited by pkrv

I second Superrich next to the Big C in BKK. There are several in that soi, walk in and ask for current rate. No hassle exchanging THB into foreign currency there, like you have at a bank.

I'm still not quite there yet on this one, give me some more of that enlightenment stuff - if overseas Bank X lets you withdraw local currency from local Bank Y at posted rates, the same rates they charge local customers, how does Bank Y cover the cost of it's transaction with Bank X, surely this can't just be via the exchange rate margin because Bank Y's costs are far greater on your transaction, given that Bank X is overseas. Somewhere along the line, Bank Y must get paid by Bank X or by you and I just can't see Bank Y performing the transaction for free unless both X & Y are part of the same bank group?

clinique - very many thanks for taking the time for the update. This reminds me of Hong Kong and the airport express. Buy your ticket at a machine and you are charged more than for buying it from the counter!

From my western perspective it would not even occur to me to use the counter for a cash withdrawal (actually I suspect you are putting the money directly into your Thai bank account). If you attempted this in the UK it would raise a few eyebrows and probably incur a fee!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be branch dependent but will give this a go next time (Christmas). Thanks PKRV

hi.

no actually your suspicion is wrong. I actually sometimes use one bank to withdraw the money from o/seas and deposit to my own Thai bank account. The depositis usually made via a Cash Deposit machine - again no fee.

Yes it is sometimes branch dependent, but WE are freigners and Exchange services are priced by most branches (look for the big EXCHANGE sign outside) these branches no problem - except with K Bank as previously noted their max is 20k ATM or over the counter.

Small branches sometimes refuse - although ive discovered this is often becasue they dont know how to use the swipe machine or dont know the procedure. Easy go next door or across the street. all the best.! :D

hi.

no actually your suspicion is wrong. I actually sometimes use one bank to withdraw the money from o/seas and deposit to my own Thai bank account. The depositis usually made via a Cash Deposit machine - again no fee.

Yes it is sometimes branch dependent, but WE are freigners and Exchange services are priced by most branches (look for the big EXCHANGE sign outside) these branches no problem - except with K Bank as previously noted their max is 20k ATM or over the counter.

Small branches sometimes refuse - although ive discovered this is often becasue they dont know how to use the swipe machine or dont know the procedure. Easy go next door or across the street. all the best.! :D

sorry i meant "provided" by most branches ...not "priced" by...

I'm still not quite there yet on this one, give me some more of that enlightenment stuff - if overseas Bank X lets you withdraw local currency from local Bank Y at posted rates, the same rates they charge local customers, how does Bank Y cover the cost of it's transaction with Bank X, surely this can't just be via the exchange rate margin because Bank Y's costs are far greater on your transaction, given that Bank X is overseas. Somewhere along the line, Bank Y must get paid by Bank X or by you and I just can't see Bank Y performing the transaction for free unless both X & Y are part of the same bank group?

???????????? I think youve lost me !

BUT if you are referring to the exchange rates which it seems. Im not referring to the banks and their rates or exchange spreads. Im talking about FEES.

On the rates , if you are in Thailand there is aposted rate at the bank, (which includes their spread) and that is what i get charged. The banks in the UK the rates are always worse than here.

Banks make lots of money from their exchange margins.

BUT if you are referring to the exchange rates which it seems. Im not referring to the banks and their rates or exchange spreads. Im talking about FEES.

On the rates , if you are in Thailand there is aposted rate at the bank, (which includes their spread) and that is what i get charged. The banks in the UK the rates are always worse than here.

I think I've got it - you receive exchange rates that are not local Thai customer/tourist exchange rates but UK overseas rates, surely those can't be very cost effective, it must be like going to Travelex at Heathrow every two weeks where the margin is horrendous. I'm sure you probably realize but exchange rat margins in Thailand are typically only one to one and a half baht and not the near ten or twelve baht you must be receiving. Basically you are avoiding paying a fee but that is made up instead via the spread which is the same thing really.

Edited by chiang mai

I think I've got it - you receive exchange rates that are not local Thai customer/tourist exchange rates but UK overseas rates, surely those can't be very cost effective, it must be like going to Travelex at Heathrow every two weeks where the margin is horrendous. I'm sure you probably realize but exchange rat margins in Thailand are typically only one to one and a half baht and not the near ten or twelve baht you must be receiving. Basically you are avoiding paying a fee but that is made up instead via the spread which is the same thing really.

We are all a bit stuck here as we all come at this from different directions.

If clinique is using a Nationwide card he will get the market rate, though a small fee is now charged (I saw it last time I withdrew cash on my Nationwide account in Bangkok I think it was 150 THB)

I used this mechanism quite a few times - Unload one Bangkok Bank ATM machine with the 10,000 fast cash option, and feed the next Bangkok Bank machine with cash - There was no fee at all because the true market rate (more like the TT rate not tourist/cash whatever rate) was applied - no addons - good deal.

With the ATM fees I may change my strategy and may now still use my Nationwide account but attempt to directly credit my Bangkok Bank passbook savings account just once then use my Bangkok Bank Cashpoint card (I now know locally :D )and see how it goes from there.

Interesting one.

edit -Oh and there were no fees for deposits at Bangkok Bank either - I now know because it was local to the branch I opened my account at - I knew there was something nagging at the back of my mind from this and other threads - plus looking at my passbook!

Edited by pkrv

We are all a bit stuck here as we all come at this from different directions.

If clinique is using a Nationwide card he will get the market rate, though a small fee is now charged (I saw it last time I withdrew cash on my Nationwide account in Bangkok I think it was 150 THB)

I used this mechanism quite a few times - Unload one Bangkok Bank ATM machine with the 10,000 fast cash option, and feed the next Bangkok Bank machine with cash - There was no fee at all because the true market rate (more like the TT rate not tourist/cash whatever rate) was applied - no addons - good deal.

With the ATM fees I may change my strategy and may now still use my Nationwide account but attempt to directly credit my Bangkok Bank passbook savings account just once then use my Bangkok Bank Cashpoint card (I now know locally :) )and see how it goes from there.

Interesting one.

edit -Oh and there were no fees for deposits at Bangkok Bank either - I now know because it was local to the branch I opened my account at - I knew there was something nagging at the back of my mind from this and other threads - plus looking at my passbook!

yes its getting confusing.

I use my o/s cards.

I get Thai exchange rates. I am not exchanging in UK.

I do not get charged any fees here in Thailand over the counter for cash advances , only at ATM's(or at one o/s bank of mine- the other does charge a fee).

What is the question now? I dont know where you are coming from with the latest?

Just trying to understand the transaction from both the consumer and the banks cost viewpoint, that's all, sorry to be a pain. Last question I promise, which banks are involved in this chain, in the UK and here, please. Ta.

Opps, just spotted something and can't be bothered to rewrite the whole post - you said that you don't get charged for cash advances which implies a credit card. If you're using a credit card to withdraw cash I can understand it all, but not an ATM card.

Edited by chiang mai