If I Were Thaksin I Would Have Served My Jail Sentence

webfact

'If I were Thaksin I would have first served my jail sentence'

By JINTANA PANYAARVUDH,

SOMROUTAI SAPSOMBOON,

KORNCHANOK RAKSASERI

THE NATION

Published on October 11, 2009

New Politics Party leader Sondhi Limthongkul show his pragmatic side as he takes the plunge into politics

How many miracles can one man benefit from? Sondhi Limthongkul has already had one big break, evidence of which is on display at his Phra Arthit home in the form of blood-stained clothes. He was not supposed to survive that hail of 200 bullets, but he did, with minimum injuries that doctors said were millimetres away from being fatal.

If he was fearless before that gangland-style ambush, political opponents of the man must have good reasons to be afraid the aggressive Sondhi will become suicidal. And if an aggressive Sondhi could occupy Government House for months and have his followers lay siege to Suvarnabhumi Airport, how far will a suicidal Sondhi go?

Relaxed at his office, Baan Phra Arthit, just a few days after being officially named leader of the New Politics Party, Sondhi did not look like someone getting ready for a new rampage. In fact, he showed glimpses of willingness to compromise, even with fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Of course, Thaksin has to come back and take his punishment first, he told The Nation. "I would have done that if I were him," Sondhi said. "I would have served the jail sentence first and then I would fulfil my ambition of running Thailand."

Sondhi claimed the Thaksin camp had once approached him for a political cease-fire, but while Thaksin accepted the first demand about protecting the reputation of the monarchy, the ousted leader balked at the second condition - that he must come back and go to jail first.

That was a long time ago, Sondhi insisted, denying rumours that the setting up of the New Politics Party was being funded by Thaksin in yet another dark conspiracy. "The last time I talked to Thaksin was probably four years ago," he said. "I'm not being sponsored by Thaksin. That's just another rumour, a strategy my opponents are so good at."

He vehemently defended the evolution of the People's Alliance for Democracy into the New Politics Party. This was the first time, he said, that a political party had been born out of a massive political movement. In his view, it is the PAD that "owns" the party, not the other way round.

If surviving the April assassination attempt was the first miracle, the second miracle must be successfully striking a balance between the roles of the PAD, the new party and himself. In theory, it seems possible, albeit highly subtle. Sondhi said the PAD would play by the rules of parliamentary democracy, but would reassert itself only when it came to issues of major national interest.

That is subject to anyone's interpretation. Will the PAD be more peaceful in its future protests, now that its leader has virtually sworn himself to mainstream parliamentary politics? Or will the trademark of relentless aggression still be kept as the movement's last card?

One message seems to stand out from the interview: this will be a more flexible Sondhi rather than a suicidal one. At first, he strongly dismissed the possibility that the New Politics Party would be in the same government as the Pheu Thai Party and Bhum Jai Thai Party, calling such a marriage a "betrayal", but then he softened his stand.

Anything can change, depending on changing circumstances, he said. This brought the interview to one almost taboo issue: his previous statement that you could take a shoe and slap his face with it if he decided to become a politician.

"In fact, I was not talking about becoming a politician. I was talking about accepting a ministerial post, and I'm still holding onto that pledge even now," he said. "My greatest responsibility now is building up this party, and I'm not thinking about anything else."

But things can change, right? Right. Sondhi put it this way: one can make a deal with oneself never to eat beef again, but what if there's nothing left to eat except beef? What if you make a vow to never hurt anyone, but bandits storm into your house one day?

The Democrats will not be pacified by this and, according to Sondhi, deservedly so. "They are a spoiled bunch," he said. "They need to be more sincere, do more homework. It won't be easy for them in the next election and they will no longer enjoy the advantage of fielding anyone who just has a pulse [in the South] and winning the election."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/11

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sondhi said the PAD would play by the rules of parliamentary democracy, but would reassert itself only when it came to issues of major national interest.

Sic, we will hold the parliamentary system to ransom any time we like.

This man comes a close second in terms of being able to destabilise Thailand.

Anything can change, depending on changing circumstances, he said. This brought the interview to one almost taboo issue: his previous statement that you could take a shoe and slap his face with it if he decided to become a politician.

"In fact, I was not talking about becoming a politician. I was talking about accepting a ministerial post, and I'm still holding onto that pledge even now,"

Sic, I will flip flop on anything depending on the moment to support my personal agenda. What wonderful principles this man has. Seems he has learnt the first lesson of Thai politics perfectly. Team up with whoever you can to be in the ruling majority by dumping your principles, since being on the outside of the ruling group doesn't get you to the power or money trough.

The Democrats will not be pacified by this and, according to Sondhi, deservedly so. "They are a spoiled bunch," he said. "They need to be more sincere, do more homework. It won't be easy for them in the next election and they will no longer enjoy the advantage of fielding anyone who just has a pulse [in the South] and winning the election."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/11

What homework does he talk about? When my wife speaks of homework I think it means something different. :)

Seems he has learnt the first lesson of Thai politics perfectly. Team up with whoever you can to be in the ruling majority by dumping your principles, since being on the outside of the ruling group doesn't get you to the power or money trough.

Maybe so, but it's the only way to get anything done so it's unavoidable if they get serious about reforming Thai politics.

We can preach about our lofty ideas on an anonymous Internet forum all we want, but it doesn't amount to anything unless someone goes out and talks to people with real power and persuades them to support your agenda, and make no mistake - they won't do anything for free.

If PAD and Sondhi didn't join formal politics they would be dismissed as annoying nuisance, good at talking but unable to do anything real.

Another point - it IS the only party born out of people movement and owned by people. Like them or not, but they get support of about a quarter of the population. They won't get a quarter of votes, on their first entry against established politicians with proven track records, but they will have a major impact nevertheless, every other party will have to recognize their existence and support.

Sondhi said the PAD would play by the rules of parliamentary democracy, but would reassert itself only when it came to issues of major national interest.

"In fact, I was not talking about becoming a politician. I was talking about accepting a ministerial post, and I'm still holding onto that pledge even now,"

Sic, I will flip flop on anything depending on the moment to support my personal agenda. What wonderful principles this man has. Seems he has learnt the first lesson of Thai politics perfectly. Team up with whoever you can to be in the ruling majority by dumping your principles, since being on the outside of the ruling group doesn't get you to the power or money trough.

I will flip flop on anything depending on the moment to support my personal agenda.

I think you mention this in relation him ever joining politics "slap my face with a shoe..." expression..

can you present any evidence that this man said other wise then what he meant and

corrected in this interview with The Nation?

Wouldn't it be much more interesting and convincing?

Just for the record!

Before anyone get's tossed over the cliff for something which are just rumors!

If some one "fights" for the right, shouldn't he then stick to it in the first place?

From 23% supporting New Politics proposal.

Of course it overlaps with Democrat support so very few of these people would actually switch, but it still matters and Democrats will have to acknowledge it.

On numbers - about half the country is anti-Thaksin, they supported PAD's overall goal though not every PAD action. Airport wasn't too popular, for example, and approval for it was probably in low digits. New Politics got a lot of trashing, too, and I don't know anyone there who'd say he approved it. Yet it still got 23%.

So, when it comes to votes - they won't get many, when it comes to anti-Thaksin agenda - they'll get a lot, when it comes to NP - they'll get substantial number worth noticing.

I will flip flop on anything depending on the moment to support my personal agenda.

I think you mention this in relation him ever joining politics "slap my face with a shoe..." expression..

can you present any evidence that this man said other wise then what he meant and

corrected in this interview with The Nation?

Wouldn't it be much more interesting and convincing?

Just for the record!

Before anyone get's tossed over the cliff for something which are just rumors!

If some one "fights" for the right, shouldn't he then stick to it in the first place?

I would think Anything can change, depending on changing circumstances, he said is enough for me. Now there is a sign of backbone from a potential politician.

We have had people berated at length here for claiming that it appeared likely that PAD would end up as a parliamentary entity. To which the PAD and the yellow supporters on here, said, "NO!". Well I don't care if he gets slapped in the face with a shoe or not over splitting hairs about whether it would be as an MP or a cabinet member. They plan to be in parliament which goes against a long stated part of PAD strategy of only a year or so ago.

That doesn't mean I hold him to higher or lower principles than any other of the politicians in Thailand, but then if everything can change depending on circumstance, what is the point in believing anything coming from this man's mouth. The wonderful world of Thai politics. Don't listen to a thing I say today because tomorrow I will change it 180 degrees.

He is no better than any of the habitual PM makers who align their parties with the leading political parties just to hold them to ransom. That is the way Thai politics is, but it doesn't mean it make any of them principled politicians.

Of course it overlaps with Democrat support so very few of these people would actually switch, but it still matters and Democrats will have to acknowledge it.

On numbers - about half the country is anti-Thaksin, they supported PAD's overall goal though not every PAD action. Airport wasn't too popular, for example, and approval for it was probably in low digits. New Politics got a lot of trashing, too, and I don't know anyone there who'd say he approved it. Yet it still got 23%.

So, when it comes to votes - they won't get many, when it comes to anti-Thaksin agenda - they'll get a lot, when it comes to NP - they'll get substantial number worth noticing.

On numbers - about half the country is anti-Thaksin, they supported PAD's overall goal though not every PAD action.

And once again, where do you get this from?

On numbers - about half the country is anti-Thaksin, they supported PAD's overall goal though not every PAD action.

And once again, where do you get this from?

He's just taking a subjective view which is all anyone can do.There's no scientific evidence available and the polls are unreliable.

For what it's worth my view is also that the country is split down the middle on Thaksin but I believe the anti-PAD position is far more widely held than Plus suggests.Incidentally what is the PAD overall goal? - or does this just mean the overthrow of Thaksin (mission accomplished in that event) and his legacy (jury still out on the latter).

For what it's worth my view is also that the country is split down the middle on Thaksin but I believe the anti-PAD position is far more widely held than Plus suggests.

The PAD is in my opinion an unpopular group with some popular objectives. The most popular one being the one you state below.

Incidentally what is the PAD overall goal? - or does this just mean the overthrow of Thaksin (mission accomplished in that event) and his legacy (jury still out on the latter).

And yes, that is their main goal i believe. Anything else is fluff. Just like the red shirts claiming to have any other goal than reinstating Thaksin as PM and white-washing him of all charges. Talk of democracy is feeble nonsense that noone with a brain believes for a second.

Remove Thaksin from all of this and the red shirts would instantly disappear. The PAD's demise would be slower. More of a petering out type of death.

I myself look forward to not only a Thaksin free Thailand, but also a Thaksin-driven-movement free Thailand. Only then can we start to move on.

ok i dont get this now.

There are rumors about Thaksin financing this new party? Thaksin + PAD ? So... erm... both Reds and Yellows are financed by Thaksin? And Sondhi welcomes Thaksin back as long as he does his time first?

are there any links to those rumors about Thaksin financing this... would be interesting to read.

ok i dont get this now.

There are rumors about Thaksin financing this new party? Thaksin + PAD ? So... erm... both Reds and Yellows are financed by Thaksin? And Sondhi welcomes Thaksin back as long as he does his time first?

are there any links to those rumors about Thaksin financing this... would be interesting to read.

Yeah it would be interesting to read about.

Till then I treat this rumor as "my worst nightmare did not became reality yet".... :)

Edited by webfact

Easy to say for someone that havent walked the other mans shoes. Of course surviving an assasination atempt most likely made him feel invincible. You dont have to be cynic to understand why Thaksin chose to run. 2 years sound manageable, but anyone really think it would stop there? With the level of attention he been given, there would be more trials. More sentences given. And if the legal options had run out for the Powers, Sondhi himself should be a good reminder of whats next. Its just pure luck that he is still able to lead PAD.

IMHO Thaksin missed a golden opportunity to be the martyr and portray himself as an abused Thai patriot, treated so unfairly by the old guard establishment. His two years in jail -if he actually served his sentence out- would have been a great time to plot his comeback and gain more sympathy from his supporters.

Now he seems to be marginalised and his position is being usurped by ambitious members of his own party.

Oh well :)...

PS-I seem to remember another guy that served a short prison sentence, then went on to absolute power through legal means.

IMHO Thaksin missed a golden opportunity to be the martyr and portray himself as an abused Thai patriot,

This is so true. Thaksin could so easily have really taken a permanent stranglehold on power by simply playing the noble, law-abiding victim that took punishment like a man. It might have meant a few months of hardship but the pay-back would have been enormous.

IMHO Thaksin missed a golden opportunity to be the martyr and portray himself as an abused Thai patriot, treated so unfairly by the old guard establishment. His two years in jail -if he actually served his sentence out- would have been a great time to plot his comeback and gain more sympathy from his supporters.

Now he seems to be marginalised and his position is being usurped by ambitious members of his own party.

Oh well :)...

PS-I seem to remember another guy that served a short prison sentence, then went on to absolute power through legal means.

while they jail term wouldn't be hard for him. Mo question it would be comfortable like a 5 star restaurant and he wouldn't have problems to leaf for meetings or playing golf.

BUT there are all the other pending cases at court and they might add more years in jail.

On the other hand his kids and wife could write a letter for royal pardon, all crying in TV (Daddy we miss you....) unbeatable promotion in Thailand

Pity no vote with such a wonderful array of poiticians

full of real prescient policy agenda to serve the people not distratce dby persoan ambtion nepotism nor greed.

Surrounded by such neighbours stands out as the most democratic place nearby

Do recal the New light of Burma the commies of lao and Bumpiputra apartheid regime with sharia below.

At least they arrrrrrrrre not beating girls for being in bars yet.

IMHO Thaksin missed a golden opportunity to be the martyr and portray himself as an abused Thai patriot,

This is so true. Thaksin could so easily have really taken a permanent stranglehold on power by simply playing the noble, law-abiding victim that took punishment like a man. It might have meant a few months of hardship but the pay-back would have been enormous.

Quite true, glad he didn't have the forsight.

Instead,

He swerved his jail sentence and the rest is HisStory.

Instead,

Strange that he was clever enough to rise to power, but not street wise enough to remain there. He could have easily turned the tax issue around by proclaiming "Under Thai law, the sale of my corporation was non taxable (or some other BS explanation) but in the interests of national harmony, I voluntarily remit to the treasury xxxx million baht for the education, health care.... of the Thai people." That relatively small payment could have been spun to no end, all to Thaksin's advantage.

Sometimes a little feigned humility can really pay off :)

Although i think the man's intelligence is often over-rated, even i struggle to believe that the thought never occured to him - and if not to him, surely one of his advisors would have made the suggestion - ie go back, hold your head up high, say you've done nothing wrong but respect the law, you don't want special treatment, remain calmly dignified, take the punishment, refuse to criticize.... and then wait.... 24 hour protests demanding your release at the prison gates will begin immediately, they'll be a media frenzy, the government will be harrassed night and day with people asking when they will end the barbaric treatment of a former PM, the pressure will build by the hour... the government will turn into the bad guy that is maliciously bent on revenge against one man.

I'd be surprised if Thaksin remained in his cushy jail cell with all the privileges he would surely be afforded, more than 3 or 4 months. And then he would exit the prison gates, welcomed by the thousands gathered to celebrate the end of the injustice. People would be chanting his name. He would be a hero. A man of the people. Pesky laws barring criminals from office would soon be swept aside, have no doubt, and the country would be his to do as he pleased.

Truly scary thought, and i believe a real one.

Question is, why doesn't he?

Or maybe he does. If so, why didn't he do all this?

I'd love to know. Is it that he treasures his own personal comfort so dearly that even one night outside of 5 star hotel like accomodation would be too much to bear? Or maybe it's his ego? We know it's big. Being seen to let others win, even if ultimately it means he wins the end-game, is just something he couldn't bring himself to do?

He knows that there is basis behind far too many of the other charges against him,

and if he loses enough power/cash the here-to-fore cowed into silence,

could start coming forward into the light.

If that happens his 3-4 months streches to 10-20 years or death.

At age 60, 5 years could be the whole shooting match.

He would also need individual pardons 'from above' for EACH charge,

and eventually they would stop coming. He is not much liked 'above'...

He's not scared of a short term, but ending his years with conjugal visits

and lack of luxury.

Edited by animatic

That relatively small payment could have been spun to no end, all to Thaksin's advantage.

Spot on. It would have been chicken feed to him and it would have cemented his place for a very long time. What stopped him? I think at that stage he truly felt invincible and that nobody could stop him from doing exactly as he pleased. Democracy had been brutally corrupted to the point that checks and balances simply didn't exist. Had we stayed within the framework of that corrupted democracy that he had created for himself, his arrogance would have been justified.