Iron Butt Ride On 250 Cc Bikes ! 1011km In One Day!

mbox

Hi there,we (dave_boo & myself) did the nakhonsawan-maesot-umphang-maesot-nakhonsawan trip yesterday. It was a great ride and it was a very enjoyable ride too.Total km covered was 1011 km by myself as i had an added kms to my place plus another 16km drive to bring a friend to downtown . Dave had a bit less km's but he has the last stretch in rather difficult road conditions to his home to battle with.

The plannings calculation over km's was also slightly off and so was our time schedule. Dave (with the Kawa Ninja 250 R)and myself (with the Tiger Boxer 250Rs) left early morning on 21 October @ 5.45 am and we gathered later on a suitable spot . From that onwards it was up to Khamphaeng Phet, Tak and turnoff to Maesot which has nice twisty road (great if there is not a lot of traffic- and there was not a lot of traffic when we drove) after Maesot we than got ourselfs ready to go into umphang....although i thought it will be curved and hilly this road really was amazing. about 160 km of "hard-working" driving pleasure. we arrived in Umphang for lunch at about 1 pm and left again at 2 pm...about 1 hour late than originally planned . The way back was first greeted with a bit of rain but it dried up and the umphang to maesot section was dry most of the time. Maesot to Tak was during sunset time ...so we needed to hurry a bit not to end up doing the curvy roads in the dark. Back in Tak...pouring rain and thunder in the dark and accidents on some sections plus roadworks every so often, needed to go slow but eventually the rain passed and we got it dry until Kamphaeng phet..than it was slight rain again but not too bad.Got back home at 2100pm.

The most demanding & the most fun was the section between maesot & umphang....but you have to be careful over road condition and its surface .Make sure you fill your tank in maesot ...there aren't many places to fill up until umphang.

Maesot - tak is also a very nice ride and you have a lot more space available than the section umphang-maesot .

Tak - Kahmphaeng Phet is actually in bad condition ...maybe not all the way but a lot of it, and specially driving in the night this really keeps you busy .

Both our Bikes did extremely well, both are different bikes and therefor one road style/condition which may fit the one bike may not be so great for the other one...our ride had all kind of road conditions so we "got it all"

In terms of comfort ....i am feeling pretty ok , but had a slight sore on the upper back ...not much more really...dave will need to report what pains he has...

one pain that we both have/had ....some "happy" welcome comittee (angry wife's)

In any case 1000 exciting km's are worth those pains...aren't they :) ?

Here a little video which was done in Umphang...enjoy,

mbox

Link to Video (couldn't embed it....)

Nice one mbox. Wonder what made you decide on a 1000km one day road trip :) I'm sure we'll be hearing from dave soon.

Can't watch the video at the minute as I'm on gps connection but looking forward to it when my adsl comes back on.

Nice one mbox. Wonder what made you decide on a 1000km one day road trip :) I'm sure we'll be hearing from dave soon.

Can't watch the video at the minute as I'm on gps connection but looking forward to it when my adsl comes back on.

Here is how it came to that conclusion...

Dave: i want to make a bike trip to umphang

mbox: i can do, but am unable to make more than a day available

Dave: lets see how many km's from our place--- 850km's (roundtrip) i think thats doable in one day

mbox: thats not too bad we can do that in one day

Dave: ok, looking forward to it

mbox; ok, same here

Dave wasn't too active today...wonder why???...either he is sore all over, or is struggling with someone angry at home...or both :D

mbox

Here is how it came to that conclusion...

Dave: i want to make a bike trip to umphang

mbox: i can do, but am unable to make more than a day available

Dave: lets see how many km's from our place--- 850km's (roundtrip) i think thats doable in one day

mbox: thats not too bad we can do that in one day

Dave: ok, looking forward to it

mbox; ok, same here

Dave wasn't too active today...wonder why???...either he is sore all over, or is struggling with someone angry at home...or both :D

mbox

Forgot to post...here some pics of our bikes on various locations...

post-39208-1256224324_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1256224368_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1256224424_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1256224490_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1256224518_thumb.jpg

post-39208-1256224554_thumb.jpg

Excellent report and excellent video, Mbox. Shows for one thing there is a huge difference in the driving conditions one encounters everyday in Pattaya city driving versus out in the country throughout Thailand and that the bike that excels in one situation is not going to excel in another.

How would you compare the Tiger to the Ninja in terms of comfort over that long haul driving, overall road ability , vibration in the bikes etc.? I know the Ninja produces a lot more power for one thing. But it's at pretty high rpms. Also, it appears to be more of a sport bike whereas the Tiger seems to have an upright riding position.

Excellent report and excellent video, Mbox. Shows for one thing there is a huge difference in the driving conditions one encounters everyday in Pattaya city driving versus out in the country throughout Thailand and that the bike that excels in one situation is not going to excel in another.

How would you compare the Tiger to the Ninja in terms of comfort over that long haul driving, overall road ability , vibration in the bikes etc.? I know the Ninja produces a lot more power for one thing. But it's at pretty high rpms. Also, it appears to be more of a sport bike whereas the Tiger seems to have an upright riding position.

The boxer had excellent comfort and was mostlikely the better one in handling plus delivery of power within hilly& curvy roads. The Ninja may have more Hp's but when are they delivered? On high rpm's right? the Boxer gives it on low rpm's and i have them available on the roads of umphang anytime. It would be best to give more feedback from Dave about this as he knows the situation and how to describe it much better. I felt of no shortcomings from the Boxer when comparing it to the Ninja 250- in the umphang roads i felt that the boxer was the better choice. Vibrations on the Boxer ...they had done some work at tiger and it really is a lot less. If you are on a flat road the ninja 250 will be faster and you will have less wind affecting you so the road from nakhonsawan to Tak was the part where the ninja is better...but as i mentioned before 2 different bikes what suits for the one may not be great for the other and vice versa. The Boxer has often be described as an allrounder Bike...and it is just that, good for a lot of things but no sportsbike either...actually maesot to umphang is best for smaller bikes i'd say...i sure wouldn't like to do it with my former 1200 cc Vmax.

Judas(in reply to the message before), yes, i think the cbr 150 can do this road too, better to have a smaller bike there...wouldn't go with a large bike there...er6n/f or so will still be doing fine though.

keep the rubberside down,

mbox

Yeah, it was quite a ride.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone on a 'sports bike', at least with the mileage we did that day.  Iron Butt is the only way you'll make it.

The Ninja is totally ball-less below 6,5k, which everyone knows.  However, trying to keep it howling above that and pay attention to switchbacks, cowshit, landslides, guardrail-less curves, etc is quite a bit.  None the less I'd do it again. :)

This is my favourite picture of the ride.  And yes those are the stock IRC tyres.

post-27441-1256981268_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Soooo tony we going to do something like this??? i am back mid january again...

xobm

Absolutely! I've still not done the road to Umphang and really want to check it out. I'll be out riding most of January so just let me know when you're back and let's hit it!

And understand you've not yet ridden from Mae Sot north to Mae Sariang and on to Khun Yuam and Mae Hong Song? If you can get away for an overnight that's a road that's definitely worth riding!

All the best!

Tony

Guys are you for real? Taking a 1000km ride for no valid reason other than you can is so pointless........and it's been ages since I did it! :)

Actually our rides were from Melbourne to Surfers Paradise. So at least we stayed for a while before we rode back!

Guys are you for real? Taking a 1000km ride for no valid reason other than you can is so pointless........and it's been ages since I did it! :)

Actually our rides were from Melbourne to Surfers Paradise. So at least we stayed for a while before we rode back!

Yes, we are for real....and 1000 km is a challange in driving and in particular driving techniques if you hit the Umphang area....so this is one valid reason...besides we both have businesses to run and can not spare more time...so you got 2 reasons :D

xobm

Soooo tony we going to do something like this??? i am back mid january again...

xobm

Absolutely! I've still not done the road to Umphang and really want to check it out. I'll be out riding most of January so just let me know when you're back and let's hit it!

And understand you've not yet ridden from Mae Sot north to Mae Sariang and on to Khun Yuam and Mae Hong Song? If you can get away for an overnight that's a road that's definitely worth riding!

All the best!

Tony

Ok great !!!

You are right the maesot up north i haven't done....as i just coming back than from 4 weeks winter holiday i really need to see how things are business sides and than try to find "a day off" ...one overnight is hopefully sufficient?

Time to play google maps again :)

happy trails,

xobm

Guys are you for real? Taking a 1000km ride for no valid reason other than you can is so pointless........and it's been ages since I did it! :D

1000km (~625 miles) in and of itself isn't that big a distance, though on Thai roads it can be challenging.

I'm in Bangkok so have to travel a ways to get to anything interesting anyway. I've done Khao Yai more times than I can count and while it's a great ride it's always fun to push a bit further to reach unridden roads.

As mbox, oh sorry, I meant xobm :) said, we have businesses to run so it can be hard to take time off. Getting out for a weekday blast is great fun as there's usually a lot less traffic, less police and we often have the roads to ourselves.

There are some bikers who seem to live for long rides. Check out the IBA (Iron Butt Association):

ibalogo2.gif

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

Ride On!

Guys are you for real? Taking a 1000km ride for no valid reason other than you can is so pointless........and it's been ages since I did it! :D

1000km (~625 miles) in and of itself isn't that big a distance, though on Thai roads it can be challenging.

I'm in Bangkok so have to travel a ways to get to anything interesting anyway. I've done Khao Yai more times than I can count and while it's a great ride it's always fun to push a bit further to reach unridden roads.

As mbox, oh sorry, I meant xobm :) said, we have businesses to run so it can be hard to take time off. Getting out for a weekday blast is great fun as there's usually a lot less traffic, less police and we often have the roads to ourselves.

There are some bikers who seem to live for long rides. Check out the IBA (Iron Butt Association):

ibalogo2.gif

Ride On!

seconded ...traffic during weekdays is a lot less ...feel the freedom :D

hmmm interesting website...is our loop going to be in this category? http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=30

xobm

happy trails,

xobm

Heh heh! :D

I haven't ridden the road to Umphang, but I suspect it's similar to the 105 from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang- narrow, twisty, a bit dirty in spots a fair bit of work, and ridiculously FUN! :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...mp;t=h&z=12

From Nakhon Sawan and back is just shy of 1000km, but it would be very challenging to do this in a day. Much better to overnight in Mae Sariang and continue on the 108 to Hot and Doi Tao and back to Nakhon Sawan the following day:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....938354&z=8

Whaddya say??? :D

ibalogo2.gif

Ride On!

seconded ...traffic during weekdays is a lot less ...feel the freedom :D

hmmm interesting website...is our loop going to be in this category? http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=30

xobm

Actually by IBA standards we are total wimps. :) Ha ha!

The shortest ride they certify is the "SaddleSore": 1600 kilometers (1,000 miles) in 24 hours

Followed by-

SaddleSore 2000k - 2,000 kilometers in 24 hours

Bun Burner 2500k - 2,500 kilometers in 36 hours

Bun Burner 2500k GOLD - 2,500 kilometers in 24 hours :D

I can imagine 1600 km in a day, but 2000 or 2500?! :D Wow! I think I'd have to end the ride at a hospital as I doubt very much I'd be able to walk after such a distance! :D

I guess on a US interstate with a cushy Goldwing and Cruise Control it could be done. Here in Thailand? Hard to imagine!

Ride On!

Tony

yes,the saddle sore seems doable here....well we still have time to plan this trip , but starting this gives already the part of excitement ! and hel_l knows what google maps will make us do :-) as per your maps the 105 and 108 is a "must do" so we can base it on this and see what other routes can be added & made out of this....

xobm

happy trails,

xobm

Heh heh! :D

I haven't ridden the road to Umphang, but I suspect it's similar to the 105 from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang- narrow, twisty, a bit dirty in spots a fair bit of work, and ridiculously FUN! :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...mp;t=h&z=12

From Nakhon Sawan and back is just shy of 1000km, but it would be very challenging to do this in a day. Much better to overnight in Mae Sariang and continue on the 108 to Hot and Doi Tao and back to Nakhon Sawan the following day:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....938354&z=8

Whaddya say??? :D

ooops see what i did now.... :D

saddle sore

Edited by xobm

ooops see what i did now.... :)

saddle sore

Oh my... I've ridden those roads a few times. Realistically you're looking at a 3 day trip. These are not fast roads at all. If you want a Bun Burner Gold you should stick to highways and do a straight shot to Singapore. (Honestly not something I'm interested in doing in one go. But would be a great trip if we had a week or so to ride down and back)

Sometimes you have to choose between quantity and quality :D

ooops see what i did now.... :)

saddle sore

Oh my... I've ridden those roads a few times. Realistically you're looking at a 3 day trip. These are not fast roads at all. If you want a Bun Burner Gold you should stick to highways and do a straight shot to Singapore. (Honestly not something I'm interested in doing in one go. But would be a great trip if we had a week or so to ride down and back)

Sometimes you have to choose between quantity and quality :D

ok besides the timelimits of the saddle sore this could be some interesting ride , technically challenging on some good roads?

I am not really out for that Iron Butt certificate...

xobm

ok besides the timelimits of the saddle sore this could be some interesting ride , technically challenging on some good roads?

I am not really out for that Iron Butt certificate...

xobm

Oh yes absolutely! You've chosen some awesome roads! We'll be riding some of those this weekend. Too bad you can't join us. Happy Trails! Tony